Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Haifisch posted:

You could make that your avatar and there'd still be someone going "how do I read Dharma? :confused:" every 5 pages.

It's a lot more interesting reading it 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

Personally I find it easier to parse comically short middle school student than six year old who talks like a middle school student.

And there always are a couple kids in middle school who are a couple growth spurts behind everyone else.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
pooch cafe is funny

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heh. "Petty LaBelle."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Haifisch posted:

You could make that your avatar and there'd still be someone going "how do I read Dharma? :confused:" every 5 pages.

Mostly because even following that layout, it feels disjointed.Like there is missing panels inbetween.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Johnny Aztec posted:

Mostly because even following that layout, it feels disjointed.Like there is missing panels inbetween.

I think it's just that some stuff doesn't translate well/doesn't have a direct translation. :shrug:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's a combination of the humor of the strip and the translation, and then like most comics the sound effects and such generally provide extra context that we don't get because they're not being translated.

Most of the time I can figure it out, though the last two panels of the most recent one have me stumped. When that happens I just assume it's nonsensical or the punchline was flubbed in Korean too. :shrug:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 17, 1931)

Peanuts (February 4, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 21-23, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 28, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (June 11-13, 1923)

Let's see what the paper says about this last one.

The front page of The Seattle Times, June 13, 1923 posted:

Three more days and then The Times Fun Frolic, the great annual girls' day at Woodland Park.

Ushering in summer vacation with a three-ring-circus program of games, races, prizes, baseball, track, story telling and entertainment, the Fun Frolic this year will be the "day of days" for every girl in Seattle.

By the time the opening parade winds in a picturesque procession around the park until the last pretty dancer in the Junior Girls' Dancing Frolic has made her bow, there will be something doing every minute. This is the assurance of the Fun Frolic committee headed by Miss Iphigene Banker of the city playfield department and of the other organizations who are cooperating with The Time and the committee to make the Fun Frolic a real carnival of fun for Seattle girls.

They put it together for at least a few decades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMC0m_eOAQ

Them Days Is Gone Forever (January 26-27, 1923)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Them Days Is Gone Forever (January 26-27, 1923)

I'd be more impressed by these if it wasn't exactly the same tune every day.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
April 5th, 2006

April 6th, 2006

April 7th, 2006

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

asecondduck posted:

I think it's a combination of the humor of the strip and the translation, and then like most comics the sound effects and such generally provide extra context that we don't get because they're not being translated.

Most of the time I can figure it out, though the last two panels of the most recent one have me stumped. When that happens I just assume it's nonsensical or the punchline was flubbed in Korean too. :shrug:

What he was saying is that she manages an informal company club where everyone is practicing self-defense. An easy enough idea to get across in Korean, where all those ideas can be easily expressed in single syllables, but surprisingly convoluted to express in casual English. The sound effects are usually just onomatopoeia.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Another translation challenge- it's easy to express large numbers in Korean because they're represented by single syllable words so it looks more ridiculous in print in English, especially since I'm using a large font size. The punchline has the same issue. It actually refers to a stock market slump and used more complicated structure, although in that case I'm not so sure the nuance matters anyway.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Specifically the Guugu Yimithirr language from northern Queensland

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This is read bottom to top in a zig-zag, right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

F-Minus

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Luann

Mary Worth

Reply All

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: "But it wasn't a dream, it was a place! And you, and you, and you... And you were there!", or Louise has one hell of a view from her bedroom, or Another roadblock to finding the clavicle.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Darthemed posted:

This is read bottom to top in a zig-zag, right?

here's a helpful diagram:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 2, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

what do you think Ed would do if Helen left for a weekend

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MariusLecter posted:

It's a lot more interesting reading it 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, etc.

Someone should create a Random Boss Dharma scrambler to see if it makes any real difference.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Another translation challenge- it's easy to express large numbers in Korean because they're represented by single syllable words so it looks more ridiculous in print in English, especially since I'm using a large font size. The punchline has the same issue. It actually refers to a stock market slump and used more complicated structure, although in that case I'm not so sure the nuance matters anyway.

Maybe "But that's nothing. The enconomy is even more depressing!"?

Or maybe "more unfathomable", I don't speak Korean so I'm not sure which is intended by the original punchline.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 2, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

snack eater posted:

what do you think Ed would do if Helen left for a weekend
burgers, golf, coronary

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zetsubou-san posted:

here's a helpful diagram:

:golfclap:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 11, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 11, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 11, 1987)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

That's remarkably progressive of Jamal's dad.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Two things:

Is that supposed to be ashok? Or uh poo poo what was his name? Anyway, that’s way off model.

That Bizzaro is like.... it’s got one level and then

Got a dark another level

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip 11/21/61

Ye Olde Foxtrot 5/11/88

Tarzan

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is that supposed to be ashok? Or uh poo poo what was his name? Anyway, that’s way off model.

think its just some dude

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
In keeping with my penchant for posting old stuff, are folks interested in Dilbert from Day 1? I know Manuel Calavera is posting the current run, but I remember the early strips as being better, not great, but better. Less of a work focus and more on Dilbert as an inventor, etc. I'd probably drop it once it switches over to the office centered strip is today.

So here's the first week and it's 5 days before we get a work joke. I think it's weeks before we meet a co-worker.

Dilbert 04/16/89-04/22/89

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell Each of those insects was intelligent.

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar the Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane I had to double check that we didn't miss a strip before this one. This feels out of nowhere

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zip

Rip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna say no on old Dilbert.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Wait, wait, wait.

What does it mean, the ball is in play for 11 minutes? Surely that can't mean only 11 minutes of game.

Right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Samovar posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

What does it mean, the ball is in play for 11 minutes? Surely that can't mean only 11 minutes of game.

Right?

football timekeeping is weird

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Samovar posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

Right?

American football is boring as poo poo

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum's edit was accurate and should be considered canon, but here's the original anyway in case you care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:randno: