Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Slippery posted:

But it isn't usually used to refer to the actual OP, it's evolved to mean 'whoever I'm responding to/talking about'

Like here I would say, It's ironic, OP

even though you are not in fact the OP

It's loving dumb sorry.

OP means "person who started the thread" dwi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Language is fluid, op

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's loving dumb sorry.

OP means 'overpowered'

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's loving dumb sorry.

no it's not

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's loving dumb sorry.

Well said, OP.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You down with OPP?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am not

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You down with OPP?

Other People's Posting?

nah not really

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are there any current monomaniacal special interest posters who will automatically show up in a thread if certain subjects are mentioned?
Not quite the same, but CineD Comic and Popular Culture Adjacent movies tend to get derailed when certain posters jump in and just have to make sure you know that, uh .... let's see... The upcoming Spider-Man movie is about the unsuccessful deprogramming of a child soldier who died a spiritual death for his surrogate father, becoming castrated in the process, and ultimately failing to make a Kierkegaardian leap of faith, hence perpetuating the kind of vigilantism that ruined his life in the first place.

VvV
Get the fork out of here.
And while a funny phrase, I think the use of it in the series undervalues Kierkegaard's intention that a willing rejection of logic and observable phenomena was a necessary aspect of faith and belief. Leaping into faith just kind of assumes that it would happen regardless.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Feb 2, 2019

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's better translated as a leap into faith.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

MageMage was kind of funny for searching “tranny” to Kramer in and correct people on using a transphobic slur (which is fine) but not reading before he posted and getting an av+redtext for jumping in on a car discussion about transmissions.

I could have sworn Poptart Fairy did exactly the same thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

I could have sworn Poptart Fairy did exactly the same thing.

Yeah, but who can keep up with Poptart Fairy’s redtexts- magemage had Dunson as their av and the commensurate redtext for half a decade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
:justpost: wherever the hell, is my brutally drunken view on things. Can't be much dumber than what people are already routinely posting there.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's loving dumb sorry.

Incorrect, op

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The only redtext I ever got was for being a white noise poster back in like '08. Which is still mostly true, I suppose. I wonder how many otherwise active members are mostly silent?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

The only redtext I ever got was for being a white noise poster back in like '08. Which is still mostly true, I suppose. I wonder how many otherwise active members are mostly silent?

... you knew you were gonna get redtexted when you posted that, right?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

To date I'm still not sure what my redtext means, who bought it, or why it's so teeny. It just kind of randomly showed up after I re-regged.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

To date I'm still not sure what my redtext means, who bought it, or why it's so teeny. It just kind of randomly showed up after I re-regged.

It’s small because I don’t know how to do font sizes when I buy titles. Someone else can give you a better rundown of what mangosteen is than I’d be able to, but I bought a bunch of forums history/internet history redtexts for people because I am super irresponsible with money. There’s yours, TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST, GOATSE ADMIRER, LEMONPARTY PARTICIPANT, SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER, and maybe some others but if there are I don’t remember.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mangosteen was a fruit that lowtax tried to sell at some point in the 00s, or maybe he was selling the juice? it was not super well received by goons and lowtax got cranky because I guess it wasnt just a shill but like a fruit he really liked. so it became bannable to make jokes about mangosteen for a while.

I think this was before I reg'd in 07 so this is like secondhand tales from days of yore at best

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

VanSandman posted:

wait I'm confused, what do you mean active members who are silent?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
as always consult the oracle

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2003

the original thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1878052

TehRedWheelbarrow has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Feb 2, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

purple death ray posted:

mangosteen was a fruit that lowtax tried to sell at some point in the 00s, or maybe he was selling the juice? it was not super well received by goons and lowtax got cranky because I guess it wasnt just a shill but like a fruit he really liked. so it became bannable to make jokes about mangosteen for a while.

I think this was before I reg'd in 07 so this is like secondhand tales from days of yore at best

He wasn't selling anything, he just made a post saying something innocuous like "Mangosteen juice is good" and people drove that poo poo so far into the ground it popped up in china with a new wife.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sorry, I should have specified. I know about mangosteen, it's just that redtexts usually refer to specific post or thing that happened, so I wasn't sure if that was the case.

Anyway mystery solved!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Slippery posted:

wait I'm confused, what do you mean active members who are silent?
Lurkers

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there are like 1-2 goons at my office that just lurk

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sorry, I should have specified. I know about mangosteen, it's just that redtexts usually refer to specific post or thing that happened, so I wasn't sure if that was the case.

Anyway mystery solved!

Yeah, theyre usually kind of malicious but I just felt like tossing some money at the forums and you didn’t have an avatar I’d end up ruining so I had some fun with it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

... you knew you were gonna get redtexted when you posted that, right?

More spines for the spine fund.
Also it's funny.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

purple death ray posted:

SO DONT loving BUY IT, DONT loving DRINK IT, DONT loving CLICK MY LINKS.

I mean Christ, all I did was make this thread to support a product which actually pleasantly surprised me, and folks are voting this thread "crap" and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to Amazon were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

ahh gently caress it, I'm closing this thread, gently caress you and gently caress GBS, I can never post a single goddamn thread in here without you faggots making GBS threads it up in some way or another. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational forum where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to FYAD and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating GBS.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn forum.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
In our glorious modern posting culture someone would absolutely quote that and reply with "sir this is a [fast food place] drive through"

Or better/worse yet "nice meltdown".

Truly we have evolved much over the years.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Thanks for the redtext I guess?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

waah posted:

Thanks for the redtext I guess?

Yeah that one wasn’t me, I don’t gently caress with peoples av’s.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Snoop seems like the kind of guy who’d bring a casserole over when you move in, say “stop by anytime”, and mean it.

he's from like, new orleans or something right? if so, hes probably just like that (i've only met one dude from new orleans but he was like that)

oh huh i apparently missed that that post was a billion years ago, my bad

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

oh copy, sorry, I had assumed you didn't mean lurkers since I don't think of them as active, my bad

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they can be "active" one of my coworkers just redtexts people or comments in person on my posts at work but i think has like 12 posts total since like 02

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

he's from like, new orleans or something right? if so, hes probably just like that (i've only met one dude from new orleans but he was like that)

oh huh i apparently missed that that post was a billion years ago, my bad

He's from Long Beach, California.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

sneakyfrog posted:

they can be "active" one of my coworkers just redtexts people or comments in person on my posts at work but i think has like 12 posts total since like 02

Man, given the usual responses my posting gets online, I really don't think I'd want that kind of feedback in real life :)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
usual response is "shut up lurker" then i lock them in a locker and everyone claps

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:lurkmore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

sneakyfrog posted:

usual response is "shut up lurker" then i lock them in a locker and everyone claps

Okay, Ms. Trunchbull, drat.