Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Poldarn posted:

If I recall, the extras playing the guards had been told (falsely) that if they laughed they wouldn't get paid.

“He has a wife, you know.” The guards face is just the essence of ‘oh no, I just can’t ‘.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Torquemada posted:

“He has a wife, you know.” The guards face is just the essence of ‘oh no, I just can’t ‘.

Insowence!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And Palin almost corpses at one point, but manages to keep it together.

A great scene.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Best near-corpsing in a Monty Python movie is when John Cleese is saying "she turned me into a newt! .... I got better" and Eric Idle is biting the top of his scythe to avoid laughing.

Memento has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Feb 2, 2019

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

My favorite break on film is Peter Bull in Doctor Strangelove watch his face as Sellers starts pummeling his own arm.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Memento posted:

Best near-corpsing in a Monty Python movie is when John Cleese is saying "she turned me into a newt! .... I got better" and Eric Idle is biting the top of his scythe to avoid laughing.

Is that in some other cut of the movie, because it doesn't happen in my Bluray copy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's in mine. Look again!

edit: Sorry--I just checked, and Eric Idle bites his scythe after being asked "Why do witches burn?" So this might not be him trying not to corpse.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Feb 3, 2019

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Gromit posted:

Is that in some other cut of the movie, because it doesn't happen in my Bluray copy.

It's two parts of the scene. Idle has to totally turn during the newt part, possibly because he's corpsing, and he bites his scythe like a schoolboy biting a pen becuase he's thinking hard while they're trying to work out what else floats.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The way I always heard was that his biting the scythe was absolutely to keep from bursting out laughing, I think I heard the Pythons point that out in like two or three different documentaries or interviews.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I watched it for the first time in ages last night and in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when Sir Bedevere and King Arthur are talking after he has the witch weighed against a duck, you can see in the background that the scales were misweighted.

What's subtle about that? It's literally the joke.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jedit posted:

What's subtle about that? It's literally the joke.

I'd never noticed the scales being off. I always thought that the joke was that after all that hullabaloo trying to get the woman a trial she'd be sure to pass, she failed anyway. Or something like that. Just the absurdity of a woman weighing the same as a duck.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So this is the day I finally watch something by Monty Python specifically life of Brian and uh
I guess humor back then was still a prototype huh

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Calaveron posted:

So this is the day I finally watch something by Monty Python specifically life of Brian and uh

:rolleyes:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

I mean, I admit the stoning scene and the slogan scene were pretty funny but a lot of the humor so far has been predicated on English people talk fast, high pitched and nasally
Am at the part where Brian's thrown in jail so hopefully that corpsing scene is funny

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stoning scene is my favourite early scene by far so hopefully you like the rest more!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I can see why people like this, past snide remark aside I won't fault them for liking it, but it really feels like it's not for me so far
I'll try holy grail after this is done

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Calaveron posted:

I can see why people like this, past snide remark aside I won't fault them for liking it, but it really feels like it's not for me so far
I'll try holy grail after this is done

I was a huge fan of holy grail as a kid and excitedly got life of brian for more, but life of brian left me pretty cold overall. I haven't watched it since I was a teenager though. Holy grail still has a lot of absolute classic scenes that hopefully you haven't fully absorbed through cultural osmosis yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

I was a huge fan of holy grail as a kid and excitedly got life of brian for more, but life of brian left me pretty cold overall. I haven't watched it since I was a teenager though. Holy grail still has a lot of absolute classic scenes that hopefully you haven't fully absorbed through cultural osmosis yet.

I probably have. The rabbit, ni, the black knight, but I'm sure there's stuff I haven't seen and can appreciate

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
You could maybe check out some episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus -- I find them genuinely funny most of the time.

you might be having that reaction because of years of exposure to lovely degraded versions of their humor, i.e. their random asides and non sequiturs were and are funny but many decades of lolrandom wanna-bes have hosed it up. the tv show has many more examples of what today we might call 'random' humor but in fact is far, far better done then today's 5th gen copy of a copy of a copy of a lovely VHS tape of their style

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Calaveron posted:

It actually was, back in the 60s and 70s the Monty Python crew were doing things that had never really been seen on TV before and they've been massively influential on the comedy industry for nearly half a century now. Even if you've never seen any of their stuff before you no doubt grew up watching a ton of shows and movies that were inspired by them. They're pretty much the Beatles of comedy.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slippery posted:

You could maybe check out some episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus -- I find them genuinely funny most of the time.

you might be having that reaction because of years of exposure to lovely degraded versions of their humor, i.e. their random asides and non sequiturs were and are funny but many decades of lolrandom wanna-bes have hosed it up. the tv show has many more examples of what today we might call 'random' humor but in fact is far, far better done then today's 5th gen copy of a copy of a copy of a lovely VHS tape of their style

Yeah, I'm slowly going through their episodes now that they're on Netflix. There are some pretty good episodes that I've never seen before. That said, beware, there's a lot of blackface/racist caricatures that do not age well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Slippery posted:

I can absolutely see what you mean, this feels like the great grandpappy of comedy
Wonderful song at the end too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Personally I find LIfe of Brian to be a much better film than Holy Grail, but I feel that's more me appreciating the teeth that movie has in attacking organized religion and fanaticism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flying circus is honestly hit and miss for me, and mostly miss.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Some of the stuff in the first season has super not ages well in particular.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Personally I find LIfe of Brian to be a much better film than Holy Grail, but I feel that's more me appreciating the teeth that movie has in attacking organized religion and fanaticism.

Especially for the time it came out.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah. I'll bet if they re-released it for a theatrical run you'd get Christians protesting.

"I say you're the Messiah and I should know, I've followed a few!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Flying Circus is interesting to watch, because yes there's a lot of bits that haven't aged well, but there's also a lot that's still good, it just didn't 'stick' quite as well.

I've always liked the one episode they did that wasn't a sketch show, but instead a contained 'alien invasion' comedy.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

before like 2000 or so I hadn't really seen all of Flying Circus because we only got selected episodes/sketches on PBS and tapes that weren't the movies were hard to find

got the DVD full set and wow there are a lot of sketches I'd never seen that were either very funny but too weird, or just kinda eh

it's no Mr. Show in the same way that a Commodore 64 is no iPhone but also in the same way it's still worth your time

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I think I heard that being homosexual was just decriminalized ten years before monty python aired. I keep telling myself this every time the joke is "that guy is gay, that's the whole joke, that's all they're giving me here"

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Hell yeah the old Commie is worth your time. do you know how hard you can shitpost on bbs'es with it

also, cool games like Wasteland and Neuromancer

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It actually was, back in the 60s and 70s the Monty Python crew were doing things that had never really been seen on TV before and they've been massively influential on the comedy industry for nearly half a century now. Even if you've never seen any of their stuff before you no doubt grew up watching a ton of shows and movies that were inspired by them. They're pretty much the Beatles of comedy.

We're more popular than Brian now; I don't know which will go first – Comedy or Christianity. Brian was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Peanut Butler posted:

it's no Mr. Show in the same way that a Commodore 64 is no iPhone but also in the same way it's still worth your time

That's actually a perfect example because Bob and David were both huge Monty Python fans:

quote:

Odenkirk: My strongest influence was Monty Python. After that comes the Credibility Gap and Bob & Ray. Also, SCTV and Steve Martin's first album, Let's Get Small [1977]. I loved Python. People always tell me that they can see Mr. Show being similar to Python. In particular, with the way the sketches flowed into each other. But to me the primary attribute of Python was that it had something on its mind and, at the same time, was laugh-out-loud funny. Python actually made you laugh. It wasn't just intellectually funny or clever.
https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/bob-odenkirk/Content?oid=1141571

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWV9xx12rc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Word of warning: parts of Monty Python have not aged well for anyone interested in watching it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oldpainless posted:

Word of warning: parts of Monty Python have not aged well for anyone interested in watching it

Not to make light of it but yeah, that should be a standard warning on pretty much every performer or piece of media from 1970s UK.

Massively influential within the greater context but :chloe:

Edit:

Krinkle posted:

I think I heard that being homosexual was just decriminalized ten years before monty python aired. I keep telling myself this every time the joke is "that guy is gay, that's the whole joke, that's all they're giving me here"

I googled it, it was mostly* decriminalized in England and Wales in 1967, two years before Monty Python first aired. (Scotland and Northern Ireland followed in 1980 and 1981, the UK armed forces in 2000)

* The Sexual Offences Act 1967 made allowances for homosexual acts under certain restrictions, such as they happened in private between two consenting people. The courts were total fuckers over interpreting this and still prosecuted people who had gay sex in hotels (which are not private residences) and where there was a third person present, even if they were just somewhere else in the house.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Feb 3, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All comedy ages like the guy who drank from the wrong grail.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I watched that on the plane last week. Still a fantastic film.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

I watched that on the plane last week. Still a fantastic film.

Harrison Ford's "Fly, yes! Land? NO!" has only improved with time

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019
Having just rewatched Flying Circus on Netflix I can definitely agree that a lot of it has aged very poorly (though honestly given enough time I can't think of a sketch show that hasn't*). That said, there is still gold to be found. If you want to experience their sketch comedy in a more consistent format I would definitely recommend their albums - they generally cherry pick the best sketches (and add plenty of new ones) - the absurdity works a lot better when you can imagine what is going on rather than seeing them manifested on tv for what seems to be absolutely no budget. There's also a "Personal Best" series on Netflix where each Python introduces their favourite sketches if you want to get the Flying Circus performances without wading through the more questionable content (that said, the introductions/links from the ageing Pythons are sweaty, to say the least).

* Speaking of poorly ageing sketch shows, I was sorting DVD's at my place of work recently when I came across a copy of Little Britain that had David Walliams (for those who don't know, a very, very white man) in full Norbert style blackface and body suit - something that within the last 20 years was not only acceptable to show on British tv, but in fact so acceptable it was used as the main image on the DVD cover. I haven't seen Little Britain, but having seen Walliams on various panel shows I feel safe to assume he didn't give a particular nuanced or empathetic performance...

Content: In Holy Grail when the knights are approaching the cave with the Killer Rabbit, they have to dismount because the horses (that they are miming) are too scared to come any closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The best Python movie is Meaning of Life :colbert: