Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1091538881143402496

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

Was Gillespie the one who married a much, much younger black woman and had a bunch of costumed antebellum parties, or am I thinking of another Virginia pol? Or did I dream it?

That's Joe Morrissey. He's a trip.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
My point stands that I keep seeing this argument that voting for the lesser evil after my preferred candidate lost the primary somehow means I'm a smug enabler of...the even worse fascist candidate that then may lose? Or at least their policies, which I have then twice voted against? E: Which I guess also somehow wipes out any good I may have done trying to donate what little money I can to charitable and/or leftist orgs?

Please, continue to explain to me my motivations. It may be enlightening.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

Okay, the D is superior, but still so vile that I could not in good conscience vote for them.

So you’re okay with ObamaCare being repealed? Because Manchin and Donnelly were necessary votes on that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not a Virginia Democrat but I recall this place was pretty heavily Perriello in the primary, and I gotta be honest--portraying yourself as a dog owner rubbing a disobedient pet's nose in its own piss isn't like, super patronizing and completely repugnant or anything. You must be a real hit at parties. "I AM MORALLY SUPERIOR TO ALL OF YOU! WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ME, YOU MORONS?!"

Your assumption that I'm doing this to try to gloat and to lord it over people is deeply erroneous. I don't give one single poo poo if you like me or not. I'm trying to get people to stop repeating the same god drat mistakes, because these mistakes have a tangible impact on our lives. In this case, we're fortunate that not only did Northam actually win, but also Northam will be immediately replaced by Fairfax, so the outcome is good (or at least not actively harmful). We can maybe then focus on learning a lesson from this event and applying it to future events.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

King of Solomon posted:

Okay, the D is superior, but still so vile that I could not in good conscience vote for them.

Okay, and you find them so vile that you are willing to damage every single other Democrat because you do not agree with them? Because nobody - literally loving nobody here - is like "YEAH, I LOVE JOE MANCHIN!" Nobody here is chomping at the bit to go out and volunteer for Joe Manchin. But Joe Manchin being a senator instead of Patrick Morrisey gives the Ds a little bit more power. A little bit more influence.

Do I expect much out of Joe Manchin? No. Do I want him to get primaried by whoever the WV equivalent of AOC is? gently caress yes. But I'll still loving vote for him, because the alternative is way worse.

In the case where somehow the Republican party is not a bunch of goddamn psychopaths, or where we get a non-dumb as poo poo voting system so I can vote for a third party without hindering the most viable opposition to whatever insane flat tax death cultist the Republicans put up, sure. Vote for whoever the gently caress. Push for a sensible voting system. But until that happens, even if the Dems put up a candidate I'm not fond of and they win the primary, I'm going to vote for them because that's a hell of a lot better than whoever the Republicans are putting out.

That isn't an endorsement of the system! It is an acknowledgement that the system is bullshit and the best way to deal with it is "vote for the Dems" and "primary out the regressive fuckers in the Dem party"!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did Northam resign yet

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your assumption that I'm doing this to try to gloat and to lord it over people is deeply erroneous. I don't give one single poo poo if you like me or not.

Your second sentence would seem to contradict the first. No one is proud of the fact that they helped to elect Northam, but the way you people are acting it's like we knew about the picture in the primaries and didn't tell anyone.

YBF and others who worked hard to get him elected feel betrayed and angry. All you're doing is rubbing salt in the wound because it makes you feel superior to them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

So you’re okay with ObamaCare being repealed? Because Manchin and Donnelly were necessary votes on that.

the lengths people will go to, to excuse demanding people submit to monsters, will never stop being funny.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your assumption that I'm doing this to try to gloat and to lord it over people is deeply erroneous. I don't give one single poo poo if you like me or not. I'm trying to get people to stop repeating the same god drat mistakes, because these mistakes have a tangible impact on our lives. In this case, we're fortunate that not only did Northam actually win, but also Northam will be immediately replaced by Fairfax, so the outcome is good (or at least not actively harmful). We can maybe then focus on learning a lesson from this event and applying it to future events.

So you’re shouting at people who have consistently said “vote left in the primaries, then always vote blue in the general” that they’re idiots who repeat the same goddamned mistakes of... voting left in the primaries? Supporting Dems in the general?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Northam resign yet

No he went down to the Klavern and doubled down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This system is so corrupt that I refuse to use what little influence I have over it at all!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the lengths people will go to, to excuse demanding people submit to monsters, will never stop being funny.

Keeping ObamaCare is a length I will go to? Oh, God forbid, we keep a system in place that’s better than not having it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Feinne posted:

No he went down to the Klavern and doubled down.

"Look! Look at this Klan robe that I found in my closet! It's never been worn! Clearly that isn't me in the picture!" :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

skeleton warrior posted:

So was John McCain. So was Lisa Murkowski. So was Susan Collins.

The Mattybee posted:

Okay, and you find them so vile that you are willing to damage every single other Democrat because you do not agree with them? Because nobody - literally loving nobody here - is like "YEAH, I LOVE JOE MANCHIN!" Nobody here is chomping at the bit to go out and volunteer for Joe Manchin. But Joe Manchin being a senator instead of Patrick Morrisey gives the Ds a little bit more power. A little bit more influence.

Do I expect much out of Joe Manchin? No. Do I want him to get primaried by whoever the WV equivalent of AOC is? gently caress yes. But I'll still loving vote for him, because the alternative is way worse.

In the case where somehow the Republican party is not a bunch of goddamn psychopaths, or where we get a non-dumb as poo poo voting system so I can vote for a third party without hindering the most viable opposition to whatever insane flat tax death cultist the Republicans put up, sure. Vote for whoever the gently caress. Push for a sensible voting system. But until that happens, even if the Dems put up a candidate I'm not fond of and they win the primary, I'm going to vote for them because that's a hell of a lot better than whoever the Republicans are putting out.

That isn't an endorsement of the system! It is an acknowledgement that the system is bullshit and the best way to deal with it is "vote for the Dems" and "primary out the regressive fuckers in the Dem party"!

I mean, to be clear, I'm willing to vote tactically within reason...but that's the thing. It has to be within reason. I'm willing to vote for Klobuchar even though she's garbage, because she's not actively vile like Joe Donnelly and Joe Manchin are.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

You guys, "VBNMW" is a symptom. The cause is bad candidates getting nominated. Stop nominating shitheads and we won't have this problem again.

People are making fun of you because the refrain was Vote Blue!!! when we were all pointing out serious issues with Northam, and the establishment forced his candidacy. Lo and behold a year later it turns out we got Klansman, M.D. for a governor.

Clinton deliberately elevated Trump and then lost to him. Perez has been a weak failure as DNC chair. Northam is a Klansman. Almost all the blue dog Senators got washed out in November. Stop nominating shitheads.

It's not 1968 and this thread is not a smoke-filled back room. We don't get to just pick who the nominees are. Donate money/time to the non-shitheads and vote for them in the primaries.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Rev Barber makes a great point. How come we demand resignation for symbolic acts of racism, but not for supporting racist policies?

https://twitter.com/revdrbarber/status/1091551615490932741?s=21

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The divide is between people comfortable with the status quo who are content with a candidate that won't make things worse for them and those that are already hosed and can't live with the status quo.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Rev Barber makes a great point. How come we demand resignation for symbolic acts of racism, but not for supporting racist policies?

I agree wholeheartedly, and as soon as I have the divine power to make Republicans resign because they're racist shitheads, I will exercise it. Until then, however, Democrats can only police their own.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, this is the dumbest most disingenuous debate. Vote for the best possible candidate in primaries and elections who has an actual chance of winning. To not vote is to surrender your say to someone on the opposition. Morality is a spectrum not a binary. Pretty simple.

Edit: Volunteer and work for the candidate you want.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

So was John McCain. So was Lisa Murkowski. So was Susan Collins.

And so would their Democratic replacements.

So, here’s your position in a nutshell: it is okay for things in this country to remain bad or get worse for everyone so long as you don’t have to sully your personal honor by voting for a person who doesn’t meet your standards.

And my response is: your standards are making things worse for everyone, so gently caress your standards and sense of personal honor.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

skeleton warrior posted:

And so would their Democratic replacements.

So, here’s your position in a nutshell: it is okay for things in this country to remain bad or get worse for everyone so long as you don’t have to sully your personal honor by voting for a person who doesn’t meet your standards.

And my response is: your standards are making things worse for everyone, so gently caress your standards and sense of personal honor.

Nah, gently caress that. My position is: both of those assholes are so bad that they will, at best, maintain the status quo, and at worst actively make things worse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Your second sentence would seem to contradict the first. No one is proud of the fact that they helped to elect Northam, but the way you people are acting it's like we knew about the picture in the primaries and didn't tell anyone.

YBF and others who worked hard to get him elected feel betrayed and angry. All you're doing is rubbing salt in the wound because it makes you feel superior to them.

the damage done to the party, and your goals, by tying it to these people turns out to be nonzero. you'll pardon the gleeful salt-rubbing on this occasion, but you see, normally the people being gruesomely, brutally sold out in exchange for facilitating these hollow shells of ambition? the ones who you tell "well, it's -unfortunate-, but it just doesn't serve our interests to pay attention to yours?"

normally you just have to tell them they're being sullen children for their temper tantrum.

but now that the howling avaricious void you decided to make a partnership with out of the illusion it cared about your goals is betraying -you-, someone who ACTUALLY matters, hoo boy. now we're expected to be loving charitable.

there is a lesson here. learn it. there is limited time remaining to do so.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, gently caress that. My position is: both of those assholes are so bad that they will, at best, retain the status quo, and at worst actively make things worse.

Yep, healthcare is not something people need, so says this guy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Harik posted:

The divide is between people comfortable with the status quo who are content with a candidate that won't make things worse for them and those that are already hosed and can't live with the status quo.

And you’re part of the status quo, who is content with not voting for anyone. Because the alternative- voting for a flawed candidate who will make things a little better- is something you can’t live with.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Missed your chance for page 14 and page 88 there Ken.

Unless CYOA books always go to odd numbered pages, I don't know if that is a thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, gently caress that. My position is: both of those assholes are so bad that they will, at best, maintain the status quo, and at worst actively make things worse.

Northam is a preferable option to Gillespie, even after this racist picture came out.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Harik posted:

No it's not, you're just using this as a way to feel superior while doing nothing of value.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yep, healthcare is not something people need, so says this guy.

We need Medicare for All. Neither of them will help us get there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think it matters that the lt. governor of Virginia is not a Republican at the moment.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

King of Solomon posted:

Northam expanded Medicaid, Gillespie would not have. Northam's a shithead, but he's objectively better than the alternative.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

King of Solomon posted:

And a third party or write-in candidate would?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

I have already given you a bunch of examples - expanding Medicaid in VA, keeping ObamaCare, climate change, family leave- where Northam and Manchin have actively made things better. You keep insisting that they’re not making things better not because of facts, but because you don’t want to deal with complicated reality.

Grow the gently caress up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

I have already given you a bunch of examples - expanding Medicaid in VA, keeping ObamaCare, climate change, family leave- where Northam and Manchin have actively made things better. You keep insisting that they’re not making things better not because of facts, but because you don’t want to deal with complicated reality.

Grow the gently caress up.

grow up, children. and vote for Coonman-D.

"Expect Nothing. We'll Give It To You Good And Hard."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
Holy poo poo Pelosi is asking Northam to step down.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A lovely Democrat is going to be better for the country than any Republican. It sucks when those are the only options, but what else are you going to do, not vote?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theblackw0lf posted:

This is kind of my thing with this issue. Like obviously he should resign, but I also feel like this is yet another case of the left's trait of giving a poo poo being weaponized against it and now are being politically punished for having basic human compassion

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

'Both sides are exactly equally bad' is a novel and interesting thing for this thread to discuss for the thousandth time.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/jmartnyt/status/1091743192993673216?s=21

So when he opened up his yearbook and saw a racist photo he didn’t put in, he thought that was hunky dory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

How is it that you play elfgames and yet are functionally incapable of comprehending basic things like "one thing is less bad than another", Ze Pollack?