Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Looking at this mess and thinking that it debunks Vote Blue No Matter Who is like looking at an accident where an airbag accidentally blew up in someone’s face while driving and thinking that you shouldn’t buy a car with airbags.

What a terrible car analogy, especially given that Takata airbag deaths are a thing.

The answer isn't to stop installing airbags, it's to stop installing defective airbags that do more damage than they save.

HRMM HOW COULD WE POSSIBLY APPLY THIS TO MODERN POLITICS IT IS A MYSTERY FOR THE AGES.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Harik posted:

gently caress this non answer. Joseph Gobells/Pol Pot 2020. "At least it's not trump!"

I've asked this question before, they have no line.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Harik posted:

Ok, since we're doing this, at what point do you not vote blue no matter who? The line is clearly drawn way past Manchin (R-Coal), so exactly what is an acceptable reason to say "you know what, gently caress the party that thought nominating this shithead was a good idea."?

I'm not looking forward one or more of D-Cop, D-Wallstreet, D-Boeing and D-Phizer being the top of the 2020 ticket.

How many times must it be said? The time to vote your conscience is in the primary.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It’s obvious what happened here:

In an alternate timeline Northam becomes president of the US, which leads towards WWIII and the end of civilization as we know it. A time traveller went back in time to 1984, became a yearbook editor at Northam’s school, and inserted that photo in hopes of stopping Northam from becoming President.

Now we wait to see if the photo will be enough to stop the end of the world.

I’m on pins and needles.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

King of Solomon posted:

I've asked this question before, they have no line.

They'd have voted for Trump if he won the Dem nomination in 2016, which makes "anyone's better than trump" all the more stupid.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Harik posted:

gently caress this non answer. Joseph Gobells/Pol Pot 2020. "At least it's not trump!"

Yes, because Cory Booker and Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand are all Joseph Goebbels.

Look at me, I can build dumb strawmen to own the libs too!

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

theblackw0lf posted:

It’s obvious what happened here:

In an alternate timeline Northam becomes president of the US, which leads towards WWIII and the end of civilization as we know it. A time traveller went back in time to 1984, became a yearbook editor at Northam’s school, and inserted that photo in hopes of stopping Northam from becoming President.

Now we wait to see if the photo will be enough to stop the end of the world.

I’m on pins and needles.

Was this before or after the Confederates got AK-47s?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Family Values posted:

How many times must it be said? The time to vote your conscience is always.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yes, because Cory Booker and Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand are all Joseph Goebbels.

Look at me, I can build dumb strawmen to own the libs too!

Give an idiotic non-answer, get a dick response.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Brony Car posted:

Was this before or after the Confederates got AK-47s?

After, ironically they did identically bad with modern weaponry because it was their corrupt way of living that undid them in the end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Harik posted:

They'd have voted for Trump if he won the Dem nomination in 2016, which makes "anyone's better than trump" all the more stupid.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Harik posted:

What a terrible car analogy, especially given that Takata airbag deaths are a thing.

The answer isn't to stop installing airbags, it's to stop installing defective airbags that do more damage than they save.

HRMM HOW COULD WE POSSIBLY APPLY THIS TO MODERN POLITICS IT IS A MYSTERY FOR THE AGES.

And as has been pointed out to you multiple times, we are afforded the opportunity to do just that: the primaries. Unfortunately, Ralph Northam won his primary, and since he was the better option than Ed Gillespie...

You seem determined to start a fight over this subject to prove that you're morally superior to the rest of us.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

my bony fealty posted:

so if he does refuse to resign. what exactly do you impeach him FOR. for reference this is what the law says:

bad as it is an old racist photo doesn't really meet any of those...its not a crime to wear racism costumes, maybe it should be. I guess it has to be a more abstract argument about him being unfit for office morally and thus neglectful of his duty or something like that.

His sole duty now is "resign."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1090743786827927552

Fantastic response that I would never expect to hear from someone in politics

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

“Hmm yes I’m sure that the Democratic voting base which consists largely of Black and Hispanic people would have lined up and voted for an avowed White Supremacist populist in the year 2016 as long as they had a D next to their name, someone like Trump would definitely have made it through the Dem primaries, I am a very smart person.”

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Trump was a democrat until he got Obama Derangement Syndrome, this isn't exactly an obscure fact.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

We keep learning more and more that AOC is, actually, just like us. She doesn't have to make any pretensions to understanding the millennial mindset, because she IS a millennial.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Koalas March posted:

Dude you have no idea. We had to call in expert because the tabulations for chair are hosed up and people are making dumbfuck motions and sidetracking the speeches for the rest of the slate

Oh, so it's going better than usual!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

this is a remarkably good take, not only because she says the objectively correct things, but because she grounds them in being empathetic towards why members of our own coalition (that aren't just cishet white guys) might have trouble accepting other forms of privilege without making excuses for it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Harik posted:

Trump was a democrat until he got Obama Derangement Syndrome, this isn't exactly an obscure fact.

This is a non sequitur

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Harik posted:

And? He ran for President in 2000 as a member of the loving Reform Party. Who cares what his voter registration happened to be at one point. He’s never had any politics AT ALL outside of Brown People Bad and Overseas Trade Bad for his entire life. That’s it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

“Hmm yes I’m sure that the Democratic voting base which consists largely of Black and Hispanic people would have lined up and voted for an avowed White Supremacist populist in the year 2016 as long as they had a D next to their name, someone like Trump would definitely have made it through the Dem primaries, I am a very smart person.”
This is the most transparently dismissive argument. If the primaries did their job of keeping lovely candidates out why the gently caress would we be arguing about voting for said lovely candidates in the general?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Harik posted:

Give an idiotic non-answer, get a dick response.

Insisting it's not a strawman doesn't make it not a strawman, Don Quixote.

Can you come up with an actual, non-strawman answer in which I would want to vote "not D" in a general election?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Harik posted:

This is the most transparently dismissive argument. If the primaries did their job of keeping lovely candidates out why the gently caress would we be arguing about voting for said lovely candidates in the general?

So...your solution is "don't bother with primaries cause they don't work, and when your preferred candidate doesn't win the primary, sit out the general because Republicans winning will teach succdems a lesson"?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Harik posted:

Condoms don’t have a 100% protection rating from STDs either.

Want some more analogies because I’ve got a few.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Brony Car posted:

From what I remember, a plague mosquito bites one of the Smurfs and he contracts a sickness that turns him into a vicious zombie that bites other Smurfs and makes them zombies too. The uncontaminated Smurfs are slowly whittled down until just Papa Smurf is left.

I’m serious.

In the cartoons, the zombies are purple and not black.

I knew I remembered that from way way back...like 1980's and Saturday morning cartoons.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Looking at this mess and thinking that it debunks Vote Blue No Matter Who is like looking at an accident where an airbag accidentally blew up in someone’s face while driving and thinking that you shouldn’t buy a car with airbags.

You guys, "VBNMW" is a symptom. The cause is bad candidates getting nominated. Stop nominating shitheads and we won't have this problem again.

People are making fun of you because the refrain was Vote Blue!!! when we were all pointing out serious issues with Northam, and the establishment forced his candidacy. Lo and behold a year later it turns out we got Klansman, M.D. for a governor.

Clinton deliberately elevated Trump and then lost to him. Perez has been a weak failure as DNC chair. Northam is a Klansman. Almost all the blue dog Senators got washed out in November. Stop nominating shitheads.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And as has been pointed out to you multiple times, we are afforded the opportunity to do just that: the primaries. Unfortunately, Ralph Northam won his primary, and since he was the better option than Ed Gillespie...

You seem determined to start a fight over this subject to prove that you're morally superior to the rest of us.

We're rubbing this in because this is an opportunity for some of you (not necessarily you, OP) to wake the gently caress up and realize the mistakes you're making over and over instead of continually making GBS threads on the left and then spinning around and go "Well, Vote Blue No Matter What." If the candidate you support leads you to have to scold the rest of us into voting blue (or tell us that you don't need our vote, as was a frequent refrain in 2016) then probably don't support that candidate!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SKULL.GIF posted:

You guys, "VBNMW" is a symptom. The cause is bad candidates getting nominated. Stop nominating shitheads and we won't have this problem again.

People are making fun of you because the refrain was Vote Blue!!! when we were all pointing out serious issues with Northam, and the establishment forced his candidacy. Lo and behold a year later it turns out we got Klansman, M.D. for a governor.

Clinton deliberately elevated Trump and then lost to him. Perez has been a weak failure as DNC chair. Northam is a Klansman. Almost all the blue dog Senators got washed out in November. Stop nominating shitheads.

We're rubbing this in because this is an opportunity for some of you (not necessarily you, OP) to wake the gently caress up and realize the mistakes you're making over and over instead of continually making GBS threads on the left and then spinning around and go "Well, Vote Blue No Matter What." If the candidate you support leads you to have to scold the rest of us into voting blue (or tell us that you don't need our vote, as was a frequent refrain in 2016) then probably don't support that candidate!

which of the people you're talking to do you think was a big Northam booster in the primary, exactly

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

However if he had anything known in his background like this it would be like knowing a certain model of car has air bag explosion issues and choosing to buy it anyways

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SKULL.GIF posted:

Klansman gov still did less damage overall than a GOP person enacting Klan policy without wearing the hood, and its not like they just put a GOP guy in place if he resigns.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thought Exercise: A human rights group goes to one of Rio's Favelas and spends a few years improving its infrastructure and rehabilitating people. Out of 1000 people, only 50 manage to elevate themselves and move out of the favelas. The rest return to a life of narcotics. Would the project be considered a success (50 peoples' lives improved) or a failure? (950 did not)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

The Mattybee posted:

Insisting it's not a strawman doesn't make it not a strawman, Don Quixote.

Can you come up with an actual, non-strawman answer in which I would want to vote "not D" in a general election?
Hey great you've narrowed the range down to something less than literally hitler after I mocked a non-answer. You don't get to complain at a strawman when trying to defend the "NO MATTER WHO" slogan.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 2, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Also for anyone following along, press conference is supposed to be around 2:30. My guess is anything we hear out of the governor's mansion between now and then is testing the waters to see what options are available, unless it's an official statement.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Harik posted:

It’s not a non-answer, it’s just the answer you don’t want to hear.

Joe Manchin sucks and is terrible, but he voted with Trump less than any Republican in the Senate. The worst Democrat is always always always going to be better than the best Republican.

You’re now going to hand wave this away with “but Harris is a cop/Booker wants school choice/Northam wore blackface/Franken groped surely that makes them as bad as Republicans” while completely ignoring that being as bad as Republicans on one issue still means there are hundreds of issues where they’re better.

Harris would suck for prison reform and trans rights. She’ll be a million times better on the environment, m4a, finance reform, working with Europe rather than dictators, women’s rights, etc.

Insisting “at some point Dems are just as bad on everything as Republicans” isn’t reality, it’s a cop-out to avoid having to get invested and care.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Northam will hold out. It's a post-escalator world.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm not a Virginia Democrat but I recall this place was pretty heavily Perriello in the primary, and I gotta be honest--portraying yourself as a dog owner rubbing a disobedient pet's nose in its own piss isn't like, super patronizing and completely repugnant or anything. You must be a real hit at parties. "I AM MORALLY SUPERIOR TO ALL OF YOU! WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ME, YOU MORONS?!"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

Thought Exercise: A human rights group goes to one of Rio's Favelas and spends a few years improving its infrastructure and rehabilitating people. Out of 1000 people, only 50 manage to elevate themselves and move out of the favelas. The rest return to a life of narcotics. Would the project be considered a success (50 peoples' lives improved) or a failure? (950 did not)

What is the baseline rate for narcotics addiction and mobility out of the favelas without outside intervention?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Quorum posted:

Also for anyone following along, press conference is supposed to be around 2:30. My guess is anything we hear out of the governor's mansion between now and then is testing the waters to see what options are available, unless it's an official statement.

will he finally hand off the reins to fairfax then or is he somehow dumb enough to not know how much of a dead man walking he is

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not a Virginia Democrat but I recall this place was pretty heavily Perriello in the primary, and I gotta be honest--portraying yourself as a dog owner rubbing a disobedient pet's nose in its own piss isn't like, super patronizing and completely repugnant or anything. You must be a real hit at parties.

The loving dog shouldn't piss inside.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Harik posted:

Hey great you've narrowed the range down to something less than literally hitler after I mocked a non-answer. You don't get to complain at a strawman when trying to defend the literal "NO MATTER WHO" slogan.

Thank you for admitting it's a strawman and you're not arguing in good faith :allears:

I didn't think that "not literally anybody" was something that needed to be explained because most people understand that "literally Hitler" is going to get primaried out, but hey, I guess even people without basic reasoning skills can vote too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Northam will hold out. It's a post-escalator world.

He’s not a Republican Governor in Mississippi where that might be the case.