Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Play posted:

ew gross. didn't even know liberty had a football team, definitely not sure why you'd be excited about playing there

They're morally bankrupt and really don't give a gently caress. He'll be swimming in hookers and illegal recruiting gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They're morally bankrupt and really don't give a gently caress. He'll be swimming in hookers and illegal recruiting gifts.

So what you are saying is he will be Sgt. Major Booty in a few years?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

Hugh Freeze is not the slimiest thing about Liberty's football program and it's not particularly close. They specifically targeted and hired Baylor's old AD who was there when all of that stuff went down.

I didn't know who that was but after googling him, he seems like the perfect fit for Liberty. An awful person and an enormous hypocrite who constantly references Jesus in between his sex worker and bribery scandals

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

So what you are saying is he will be Sgt. Major Booty in a few years?

He'll be Commander in Chief Booty

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Anyone got any scouting info on Dax Raymond or Ron’Quavion Travis?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

You can't even write jokes like this

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

drat hippy kids and their hair

https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/1088598949299146753

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I wonder how he'd feel about Don Mattingly's sideburns.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

imagine this guy giving you advice on your personal appearance

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Alaois posted:

This man's closet inventory is:

- Nike polo shirts with school logo x a billion
- The same four pairs khaki pants he's been rotating since 2012
- The suit he wears to funerals

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
lol if you think he can fit in his pants from 2012

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Alaois posted:

To be fair, Lock lost the Beebs hairstyle after he left for UCF. I'd bet you that was a thing Derek Dooley told him. And holy poo poo that thing was the first thing to pop up when I loaded this page and it was at full size. Scary.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LiquidFriend posted:

To be fair, Lock lost the Beebs hairstyle after he left for UCF. I'd bet you that was a thing Derek Dooley told him. And holy poo poo that thing was the first thing to pop up when I loaded this page and it was at full size. Scary.

he literally named Heupel as the guy who told him to cut his hair in that video

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
can someone who's watched Kyler Murray play in college tell me why he's rated as a first-rounder as a 190-pound QB

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ironic Twist posted:

can someone who's watched Kyler Murray play in college tell me why he's rated as a first-rounder as a 190-pound QB

he's fuckin really good at being a quarterback, but very bad at being a large person

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Alaois posted:

he's fuckin really good at being a quarterback, but very bad at being a large person

IMO if the wrong team drafts him he's going to be ripped in half and eaten like a Kobayashi hot dog

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

IMO if the wrong team drafts him he's going to be ripped in half and eaten like a Kobayashi hot dog

Which team is the good team where he won’t be ripped in half?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
For all Kyler Murray questions and future Kyler Murray questions please refer to the million of other Kyler Murray questions already in this thread

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't really understand the argument about Murray's build insofar as his ability to hold up to playing in the NFL- is there something to suggest the types of hits that the quarterback takes are the issue here? Because there are a poo poo-load of NFL runningbacks who have the same general dimensions as the 5'10/11", 195 pounds that Murray is listed at:

http://pfref.com/tiny/J6j04

I mean just in general using size as a predictor of how someone is going to hold up to the wear and tear of the NFL really just seems like an impossibly crude guesstimate when what you're really worrying about is body mechanic and tendon and ligament flexibility and strength, and that seems pretty far beyond the NFL right now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Running backs the players with the shortest careers and are regularly injured

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you have outliers like Darren Sproles who is tiny and somehow still playing with the same speed at the age of 54 but for the most part small running backs don't have the longevity you look for in a franchise QB

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Alaois posted:

you have outliers like Darren Sproles who is tiny and somehow still playing with the same speed at the age of 54 but for the most part small running backs don't have the longevity you look for in a franchise QB

Feel like a lot of it depends on play style too. Like Devonta Freeman. Tiny, shifty, agile, but also thinks he is a power back and tries (and succeeds) in running through people. Feel like Freeman isn't long for the league with his run style and it is already showing. Guys that last forever don't take kill shots. I remember Marvin Harrison falling down before contact...guys can do it and have long careers they just have to be smart. Sproles seems like another guy who defenders never clean a clean shot on.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Alaois posted:

he literally named Heupel as the guy who told him to cut his hair in that video
I guess I have have watched the video!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alaois posted:

Sproles is built like a tank. So are Russell Wilson and Maurice Jones-Drew. It's being slender that is the risk. Then again, Eli isn't particularly beefy and he had the consecutive start streak. So who knows?: shrug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

weird Asian candy posted:

Sproles seems like another guy who defenders never clean a clean shot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWsXhOjcGvM

:rip:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Punt returners are a crazy breed man lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

Sproles is built like a tank. So are Russell Wilson and Maurice Jones-Drew. It's being slender that is the risk. Then again, Eli isn't particularly beefy and he had the consecutive start streak. So who knows?: shrug:

A lot of it is luck. Guys like Eli and Rivers and Peyton and Brady know when a play is dead and just collapse so they don't get killed by the sack.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I want Lock to go first round cause I want him to be paid. I was conflicted when he came back for his senior year.

Also I want him to be drafted by a cool-ish, but not awesome team so I can move his franchise in Madden.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I think theres a decent argument to be made that the small slender QB risk doesnt matter as much when teams are trying to build "win now" teams on their rookie contracts. The season ending ones sure but accumulated damage probably doesnt factor was much when you expect a 3-4 year window

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't really understand the argument about Murray's build insofar as his ability to hold up to playing in the NFL- is there something to suggest the types of hits that the quarterback takes are the issue here? Because there are a poo poo-load of NFL runningbacks who have the same general dimensions as the 5'10/11", 195 pounds that Murray is listed at:

I mean just in general using size as a predictor of how someone is going to hold up to the wear and tear of the NFL really just seems like an impossibly crude guesstimate when what you're really worrying about is body mechanic and tendon and ligament flexibility and strength, and that seems pretty far beyond the NFL right now.

There's a huge difference between running at someone and getting tackled as opposed to standing still and getting tackled. Weight distribution and muscle density is hugely important too. Those 5'10 195 RBs pack a ton of lower body and core strength. Pat White was murdered on the field because he was 190 pounds of normal body human body, not muscle.

Also there's almost no RBs left in the NFL that are traditional thinner scat backs. Almost every starting RB this year was at least 200 pounds and of the two that weren't (Lindsay and Breida) one was injured constantly throughout the season while the other suffered a season ending injury. Being 190 pounds as opposed to 205 pounds is a huge deal if those 15 pounds are muscle. Like there's a reason why weigh ins exist for boxing and MMA.

The best thing going for Murray right now is that it's pretty much illegal to look at a QB in today's NFL.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doltos posted:

The best thing going for Murray right now is that it's pretty much illegal to look at a QB in today's NFL.

On the other hand, he’s black.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

There's a huge difference between running at someone and getting tackled as opposed to standing still and getting tackled. Weight distribution and muscle density is hugely important too. Those 5'10 195 RBs pack a ton of lower body and core strength. Pat White was murdered on the field because he was 190 pounds of normal body human body, not muscle.

Pat White got tripped by a shoe-string tackle into a helmet to helmet hit. It had nothing to do with his weight, unless he somehow could have collected fat or muscle in his body in the fashion of a beluga whale's forehead or something like that.

Doltos posted:

Also there's almost no RBs left in the NFL that are traditional thinner scat backs. Almost every starting RB this year was at least 200 pounds and of the two that weren't (Lindsay and Breida) one was injured constantly throughout the season while the other suffered a season ending injury. Being 190 pounds as opposed to 205 pounds is a huge deal if those 15 pounds are muscle. Like there's a reason why weigh ins exist for boxing and MMA.

Runningback is like one of the only NFL positions that hasn't seen a meaningful increase in size over time:

https://deadspin.com/how-have-the-weights-of-nfl-positions-changed-over-time-1545701731

Meanwhile, I don't think the physical trauma even a relatively high volume rushing quarterback receives is really on the face of it comparable to even a change of pack back. Especially when you're talking about a league that punishes defenders for taking shots on quarterbacks, and encourages guys to slide while rushing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Pat White got tripped by a shoe-string tackle into a helmet to helmet hit. It had nothing to do with his weight, unless he somehow could have collected fat or muscle in his body in the fashion of a beluga whale's forehead or something like that.

Runningback is like one of the only NFL positions that hasn't seen a meaningful increase in size over time:

https://deadspin.com/how-have-the-weights-of-nfl-positions-changed-over-time-1545701731

Meanwhile, I don't think the physical trauma even a relatively high volume rushing quarterback receives is really on the face of it comparable to even a change of pack back. Especially when you're talking about a league that punishes defenders for taking shots on quarterbacks, and encourages guys to slide while rushing.

Weight increase* and according to that article not a lot of positions have either since the early 2000's. Again weight doesn't equal muscles.

Pat White woulda died either way.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Catfish Noodlin posted:

QB is not as expendable as RB, and they tend to make $20+ million/year if they are decent. Most RBs make around one-third to one-quarter that. You obviously treat a guy with that kind of importance to the team, and that kind of contract, a little bit differently. For example, if Kirk Cousins got hurt in Minnesota then good luck finding another QB to replace him when he is eating up $28 million of cap. If your RB goes down, you plug in the other guy on your roster.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

QB is not as expendable as RB, and they tend to make $20+ million/year if they are decent. Most RBs make around one-third to one-quarter that. You obviously treat a guy with that kind of importance to the team, and that kind of contract, a little bit differently. For example, if Kirk Cousins got hurt in Minnesota then good luck finding another QB to replace him when he is eating up $28 million of cap. If your RB goes down, you plug in the other guy on your roster.

I'm not saying that you are not taking on any additional risk with Kyler Murray, I just think the risk is overstated and in some respects based on some weird beliefs.

I think it's also worth noting that Murray is pretty responsible with regards to his body- he's got no qualms at all about sliding early and often:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/14/17857678/kyler-murray-running-ability-baseball-sliding

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Slowpoke! posted:

They're making $30mil/year now, friend

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Every year there's a discussion on how NFL athletes and 40 times stack up and uh:

https://twitter.com/usainbolt/status/1091768056592982017

Usain Bolt ran a 4.22(which is the NFL's "record") in street shoes and sweat pants.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the wind was at his back

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Usain Bolt ran a 4.22(which is the NFL's "record") in street shoes and sweat pants.

Hand timed or do they have an electronic setup there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I mean are we really surprised that the fastest man on the planet and who has spent his entire adult life training for sprints would tie the fastest nfl player without even trying?