Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Well, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

poo poo.

Please tell me someone saved the second one with the ajus - looks like it was deleted off imgur.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Vegetarians shouldn't be eating fried stadium food.

yuh

fryer related question: we maintain one gluten-free fryer and one where the gluten-having stuff goes. i've wondered if there's any point to that bc i doubt that gluten stays (uh) gluten-y for very long in 350F degree oil, but who knows! celiac association websites all back up the practice but i've never found anything that quantifies it for certain. i also know ppl with celiac and hard to work around food allergies so i want to accommodate everyone possible whenever possible, but that one's always stuck with me. nothing wrong with an overabundance of caution when it comes to allergies/conditions. guess i'm just running low on sleep and grousing.

btw if you have a nut allergy just don't bother going to a vegan restaurant. we want to serve you but cross-contamination makes it like someone with ceilac going to a traditional bakery.

e: also thosse fryer pics and their old-rear end oil lmbo

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Vegetarians shouldn't be eating fried stadium food.

I wouldn't go this far, but any vegetarian that's strict enough about it to be upset over shared fryer oil is probably going to be very particular about where they eat to begin with. I'd guess most stadiums aren't on that list.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

SHVPS4DETH posted:

fryer related question: we maintain one gluten-free fryer and one where the gluten-having stuff goes. i've wondered if there's any point to that bc i doubt that gluten stays (uh) gluten-y for very long in 350F degree oil, but who knows! celiac association websites all back up the practice but i've never found anything that quantifies it for certain. i also know ppl with celiac and hard to work around food allergies so i want to accommodate everyone possible whenever possible, but that one's always stuck with me. nothing wrong with an overabundance of caution when it comes to allergies/conditions. guess i'm just running low on sleep and grousing.

My immediate family is legic, actual celiac: They get sick and feel lovely from having products that share a frier with gluten contaminated produts.

Recently, on vacation in california we went out to breakfast. The server n establishment's menu was very acknowledging about gluten free possibilities, even some of the menu items were marked as free vs not, and could answer substutionts, etc:

Mom and sister subbed potatoes for something. Pretty sure it was with a huevos rancheros, corn tortilla, no cheese.

annd it was the 'dunk a bag of frozen potatoes in a frier' sort of chunky/triangle homefries. Normally catch this stuff, but I/we forgot to ask if the taters were fried.

Both had unpleasant days after

In comparison, my favorite pizza place has this on their menu, and i think it sums up the issue best:

"gluten-free (gf)
*Our Gluten-Free crust, ingredient list below, is locally provided by Deby's Gluten Free, Inc. Although our crust is Certified Gluten-Free, it is prepared in our common Pizza kitchen with the risk of gluten exposure and possibility of cross-contamination. Therefore, BLP does not recommend our Gluten-Free pizza for customers with celiac disease. Full Ingredient List: rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, modified (non GMO) tapioca flour, rice bran oil, cane sugar, molasses, salt, yeast, and water. Deby's Gluten-Free crust is also vegan!"

(What's unstated is 'gee, this is going to go into an oven with non gluten free pizzas that have been cooked in it)

Tldr: yes, its a thing. But also how you seperarate the food fadders from extremely gluten sensitive people.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i've wondered if there's any point to that bc i doubt that gluten stays (uh) gluten-y for very long in 350F degree oil, but who knows!

I forget the exact numbers, but I did a bunch of research on this a few years back and basically gluten (the protein strand) doesn't denature until it's spent 20+ minutes at a temperature higher than 450F or 475F or something like that, which is higher than most (any) fryers run and is past the smoke point of most oils you'd want to use in a fryer. So short answer is yeah, gluten survives in a deep fryer and can gently caress with people that have legit issues with it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gee.

Is there anything besides safflower oil that has a smoke point high enough to even GET that hot?

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

SHVPS4DETH posted:

yuh

btw if you have a nut allergy just don't bother going to a vegan restaurant. we want to serve you but cross-contamination makes it like someone with ceilac going to a traditional bakery.

e: also thosse fryer pics and their old-rear end oil lmbo

I have Celiac disease and I've definitely gotten sick from shared fryers.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Gee.

Is there anything besides safflower oil that has a smoke point high enough to even GET that hot?

Refined avocado oil. But lol at filling up a fryer with it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Refined avocado oil. But lol at filling up a fryer with it.

I'm now very curious about the potential cost for this.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea if I’m getting fired tomorrow and it’s freaking me the gently caress out....

gently caress it. Let’s roll. Worked there 13 years. Love my customers and employees.

Here we loving go....

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Did you sexually assault someone else?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm now very curious about the potential cost for this.

Refined is roughly $50/gal. A 110lb fryer would cost about $700 to fill. Or you can get three 35lb jugs of good 'ol Mazola ZT soybean oil for about $100.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kettle brand chips started selling chips fried in avocado oil, they cost the same, but are slightly smaller (at least in the single serving package).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

I think vegetarians would expect french fries to be free of hot dog juice though.
Or red meat allergies, more importantly, though as usual it's the allergyhaver's responsibility to ask.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

Or red meat allergies, more importantly, though as usual it's the allergyhaver's responsibility to ask.

They're also frying corn dogs, chicken and all kinds of other stuff in those fryers. They should absolutely expect to have contaminated french fries.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
We were off to a great start tonight. Reservations for 250 with about 50 or so sat.

There is no gas coming to our line.

"May God have mercy on our souls"

Line moves everything possible to the next kitchen (were in a resort and they are back to back kinda). Now 2 restaurant, 2 bars, and room service were coming out of a kitchen with twice as many cook as can fit.

Gas turned back on after 30 min and the line brings everything back out and continues (best as they can) as if nothing happened.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Kettle brand chips started selling chips fried in avocado oil, they cost the same, but are slightly smaller (at least in the single serving package).

For advertising purposes they can say Avocado Oil* if it's 51% Avocado.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TheParadigm posted:

poo poo.

Please tell me someone saved the second one with the ajus - looks like it was deleted off imgur.

I got you, fam! Still had the tab open when I fell asleep last night (it's a wonder I didn't have nightmares about it)

On making this post and seeing the pic full scale on my monitor, I just noticed the bare metal spoon in the pot in the other fryer. Not to mention that that pot appears to have grown some ecosystem of lichen on the outside of it. Also the chunky burnt stuff inside the pot on the lower left and y'know what, I'm going for a walk

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thank you, JD! It is the barfgift that keeps on giving.

The thing that really gets me is the scuzz and detrius on the forward rim of the frier. I swear thats the kind of fried bits you get when the edge of fried chicken breaks off.

These things are -used- for -other products- AND THEN stuff is heated up in the middle of service in them like it ain't no thang.

and then when you have to take them out, oh gosh oil drips everywhere, and can you just imagine having to carry a red hot oil-dripping stockpot anywhere?

Its an absolute miracle that nobody's slipped and fell immediately upon lifting it out.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 3, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

Its an absolute miracle that nobody's slipped and fell immediately upon lifting it out.

Oh how I want to post The Video right now.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I got you, fam! Still had the tab open when I fell asleep last night (it's a wonder I didn't have nightmares about it)

On making this post and seeing the pic full scale on my monitor, I just noticed the bare metal spoon in the pot in the other fryer. Not to mention that that pot appears to have grown some ecosystem of lichen on the outside of it. Also the chunky burnt stuff inside the pot on the lower left and y'know what, I'm going for a walk

I'm a home cook who follows this thread. I partially understand the anger concerning the use of deep friers but could someone break down exactly why this is terrible for laypeople?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

bartlebee posted:

I'm a home cook who follows this thread. I partially understand the anger concerning the use of deep friers but could someone break down exactly why this is terrible for laypeople?

Have you ever put water in hot oil?

E:

Naelyan posted:

Oh how I want to post The Video right now.

Post it

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bartlebee posted:

Think of, instead of heating up a pot of something on your stove, you have a GIANT pot of near-boiling oil that you just stick little pots into. That probably seems less safe (because it is). Also now when you pull the little pots out, they're covered in (still near-boiling) oil that makes them hard to handle, leaves messes everywhere, potentially contaminates other food, and also will probably loving burn you. Dripping oil on the floor is a slipping hazard (made worse by the part where you might be carrying another pot of near-boiling something covered in oil), and now instead of your home kitchen where it's likely just you doing things as slowly as you'd like, you're in an environment where everything is rushed and there are multiple people around who may or may not be paying as much attention as they should be to the stupid poo poo you're doing. It's just all around a recipe for disaster. (Plus the little things like metal spoons in a pot hanging over boiling oil [metal conducts heat] and if any of those pots spill into the oil, that poo poo will literally explode)

Bonus FUN video!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Think of, instead of heating up a pot of something on your stove, you have a GIANT pot of near-boiling oil that you just stick little pots into. That probably seems less safe (because it is). Also now when you pull the little pots out, they're covered in (still near-boiling) oil that makes them hard to handle, leaves messes everywhere, potentially contaminates other food, and also will probably loving burn you. Dripping oil on the floor is a slipping hazard (made worse by the part where you might be carrying another pot of near-boiling something covered in oil), and now instead of your home kitchen where it's likely just you doing things as slowly as you'd like, you're in an environment where everything is rushed and there are multiple people around who may or may not be paying as much attention as they should be to the stupid poo poo you're doing. It's just all around a recipe for disaster. (Plus the little things like metal spoons in a pot hanging over boiling oil [metal conducts heat] and if any of those pots spill into the oil, that poo poo will literally explode)

Bonus FUN video!

Thank you. I assumed at least part of it was exploding oil. I'm also assuming the video is that Australian psa where the lady slips and gets destroyed by oil and will not be watching again.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bartlebee posted:

Thank you. I assumed at least part of it was exploding oil. I'm also assuming the video is that Australian psa where the lady slips and gets destroyed by oil and will not be watching again.

It's from Ontario actually, but yes. The screaming haunts my nightmares.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
While dripping oil everywhere is terrible I am amazed at the amount of people that dont wear proper footware in a kitchen. Ive never had a problem dancing in oil with noskids. But that whole heat poo poo up in a frier is terrible. If that was standard practice I would quit.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Something I just noticed about that video is she cracks her head on the stove too while she's falling. Ugh that whole thing gives me the willies

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That PSA is super effective. It's burned into my brain, and it's all I can think of when people gently caress around in the kitchen.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i’ve never actually watched the video, just seen a single frame just before arm meets oil and that was enough for me to get the point.

anyways, I know IT is the general recommendation for escape routes from this biz but I’m really enjoying sign production. i’ve gotten to work on some cool poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Trebuchet King posted:

i’ve never actually watched the video, just seen a single frame just before arm meets oil and that was enough for me to get the point.

anyways, I know IT is the general recommendation for escape routes from this biz but I’m really enjoying sign production. i’ve gotten to work on some cool poo poo.

Do whatever keeps a roof over your head and doesn't make you want to kill yourself.

IT is a recommendation here because we're a computer forum and most of the people posting have the skills to at least make entry-level IT jobs go, and those pay better than the industry. :)

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

IT is a recommendation here because we're a computer forum and most of the people posting have the skills to at least make entry-level IT jobs go, and those pay better than the industry. :)

I wasent getting any hits from sending out my resume. I dont know a good way to label 2y of misc restaurant work besides "restaurant entrepreneurship and management". I listed a shitton of the skill it gave me but alas. Got a 2nd interview Tuesday for a day gig doing prep at a grocery. Figure do that 2-3 months and get a few bullshit certs then I should be good. I just dont think Im making it through the hr algorithm.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
thanks for all the answers y’all

i’d quote each one but i’m on mobile during a slow rear end service now that all the catering orders and togo’s dried up

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ApolloSuna posted:

Ive never had a problem dancing in oil with noskids.

Did I ever tell y'all about the time I re-created the Exxon Valdez spill while cleaning my fryer? If not I'll post it. Trust me, there are times when non-slip, kitchen-rated shoes can fail.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wait. Without clicking, I have to guess - is this THE safety commercial one? With the dropping of pots and slipping and burning?

Edit: It is, and i'm glad its so distinctive everybody remembers it. Scrolled down like 2 posts and there was the familiar sight of people recognizing it.

Yeah, that thing is monstrous and accurate.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 4, 2019

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Did I ever tell y'all about the time I re-created the Exxon Valdez spill while cleaning my fryer? If not I'll post it. Trust me, there are times when non-slip, kitchen-rated shoes can fail.

Well I got to hear this. But yeah, watching people work in like shorts and a busted pair of Nikes, its like wtf. At my last KM job I was reprimanded for being "too hard" on people about things. Its like, kitchens are fuckin dangerous places yo, someone is gonna hurt themselves.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's hilarious how dangerous a kitchen can be what the gently caress is wrong with us?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We're crazy, that's what.

Although I enjoy the looks on my coworkers' faces when I get a minor cut and grab the bottle of superglue off my desk. :getin:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's hilarious how dangerous a kitchen can be what the gently caress is wrong with us?

nothing, we're the only ones who can appreciate the sweet release of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

We're crazy, that's what.

Although I enjoy the looks on my coworkers' faces when I get a minor cut and grab the bottle of superglue off my desk. :getin:

It's just a minor cuts guys, hand me the superglue.
*Bleeds allover the floor.*
gently caress it, I'm going for a smoke too.