Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Gotta screencap these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

Can you expand on this? I’m not up to speed on whatever it is you’re talking about

Mueller is in court with the US entity of a Russian company he indicted a while back. They responded to the charges and hired US lawyers, then entered a not guilty plea. As a result they're getting access to evidence against them as part of discovery. The materials have been found on Russian websites - altered to suggest that it's all Mueller has (it's not, they had not yet seen most of the sensitive evidence) - with comments about how it shows there's no case. So now Mueller is arguing that if they want to proceed with their defense they should be required to come to the US, subject themselves to our legal system, and only gain access to further evidence under supervision and not be given copies of anything from here on out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Literally Esoteric posted:

Gotta screencap these things

HAH STUPID DEMS, WHY DON'T YOU WANNA REMOVE HIM?

26 minutes later

S-so hey, good on you for -- for wanting him to resign unanimously but. But, hey now, let's not judge someone for something they did 30 years ago here, guys!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munin posted:

Except that Maduro is indeed an authoritarian, kleptocratic, shithead and it is great news that the opposition in Venezuela seem to have managed to pull the finger out of their rear end and rise to relevance again after repeatedly bottling things and descending into indecisive bickering in the past. If the last freely elected body is not a suitable vehicle for change in Venezuela then what is? Another military coup? That is definitely going to lead to good things just like it did all the other times in South America.

Other positive thing is that at least Guiado is not a Mnangagwa like figure.

Obviously the US will try to stick their oar in since it is in their back yard and the inevitable shittiness from Bolton and Abrams will need to be called out.Supporting Maduro because the US wants him gone is beyond stuppid though. The enemy of your enemy is only sometime your friend. In this case the enemy of your enemy is an authoritarian, kleptocratic, shithead.

Trust us, regime change will work this time, don't worry. :suicide:

Supporting Maduro isn't the point.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Mueller is in court with the US entity of a Russian company he indicted a while back. They responded to the charges and hired US lawyers, then entered a not guilty plea. As a result they're getting access to evidence against them as part of discovery. The materials have been found on Russian websites - altered to suggest that it's all Mueller has (it's not, they had not yet seen most of the sensitive evidence) - with comments about how it shows there's no case. So now Mueller is arguing that if they want to proceed with their defense they should be required to come to the US, subject themselves to our legal system, and only gain access to further evidence under supervision and not be given copies of anything from here on out.

Wait is this just happening now or was this a while ago? It really is insane at how many scandals are dropping on a nearly daily basis it’s impossible to keep up with all of it. Any single one of these events would have been a major scandal in any previous administration.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

What about all the players that hate America and must wish death upon everyone that ever served? I have trouble believing Hannity could talk football for that long (on the air) and not at least touch on that.

Yeah, weird. I didn't even think of that. But I know Hannity did set a new record for me personally in the "how long can I subject myself to this" trials I undertake in order to have something to add to this thread. Not sure how he managed not to bring up Kaepernick and respect for the flag for 10 or 15 minutes when discussing the NFL but maybe he started with that and I missed it. Sean seems to love the Patriots and if I had to guess I'd say that's only because they're called the PATRIOTS and have red white and blue uniforms.

Also, I'd forgotten, but Aaron Rogers is a birther and proffered a lot of RWM talking points about Obama a few years back. It doesn't come up much but pretty sure Rogers is a CHUD.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, weird. I didn't even think of that. But I know Hannity did set a new record for me personally in the "how long can I subject myself to this" trials I undertake in order to have something to add to this thread. Not sure how he managed not to bring up Kaepernick and respect for the flag for 10 or 15 minutes when discussing the NFL but maybe he started with that and I missed it. Sean seems to love the Patriots and if I had to guess I'd say that's only because they're called the PATRIOTS and have red white and blue uniforms.
I mean, Hannity's silly enough to totally just be the "patriots" thing but there's the Tom Kelly/MAGA thing and the general "they hate us because they're jealous" Patriot thing that meshes so well with Hannity's world view.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slutitution posted:

Trust us, regime change will work this time, don't worry. :suicide:

Supporting Maduro isn't the point.

Supporting Maduro seems to be the point of many people including the point of he guy you linked. Much of the discourse is totally aimed at delegitimizing and smearing any opposition to the current regime. Guaido is not a Manchurian candidate carefully inserted into the Venezuelan legislature by the US years ago. He is the legitimate leading representative of the last legislative body to be, relatively, freely elected (Maduro tried to rig the election but seriously underestimated the amount of rigging necessary).

The success of the opposition in that election is what led to the final breakdown of the constitutional order in Venezuela. Maduro never recognized his loss in that election and has since neutered the body by packing the supreme court before the new representatives were sworn in and then setting up a parallel legislative assembly, a single party body with candidate lists for the election controlled by the PSUV.

If he is not a legitimate channel for opposition to the regime then who is? All that is left is a military putsch, which would not lead to any significant change in the country since the top military officials are all happily part of the regime and the looting or a civil war and guerilla campaign which is likely to last decades going by any of the other examples in the region.

All that aside, cheerleading of Abrams and Bolton in the media should be called out as well as any whitewashing or their or the US' action in South America. We all need to keep a close eye on statements from the White House and protest any hare brained schemes and interventions coming from the President or any of his bugfuck crazy advisors.

[edit] Looking at what the Twitter guy has pinned there is indeed a non-zero chance you think Guiado is a deep cover US Manchurian candidate.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 3, 2019

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Crabtree posted:

HAH STUPID DEMS, WHY DON'T YOU WANNA REMOVE HIM?

26 minutes later

S-so hey, good on you for -- for wanting him to resign unanimously but. But, hey now, let's not judge someone for something they did 30 years ago here, guys!
What's the opposite of a hill to die on?

Like, it's situational ethics for everything, and pretty sure they weren't offering Al Franken an olive branch, but blackface and Klan robes in medical school is "hmm I dunno guys maybe we should let this slide."

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

Wait is this just happening now or was this a while ago? It really is insane at how many scandals are dropping on a nearly daily basis it’s impossible to keep up with all of it. Any single one of these events would have been a major scandal in any previous administration.

New as far as I know

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Groovelord Neato posted:

they just rehired the guy that supported genociders and lied to the media about an entire village being wiped out in a nightmarish fashion to handle it too.

Whoah, when did this happen? As far as I know we haven't sent the black ops teams in (as of yet).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Whoah, when did this happen? As far as I know we haven't sent the black ops teams in (as of yet).

Elliott Abrams, he was the bag man for Reagan in South America and involved in every piece of shady poo poo that the US did down there in that period:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Abrams

A week ago he was appointed as special envoy to Venezuela. Between him and Bolton we have the anti-democratic and anti-diplomatic dream team.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Munin posted:

Supporting Maduro seems to be the point of many people including the point of he guy you linked. Much of the discourse is totally aimed at delegitimizing and smearing any opposition to the current regime. Guaido is not a Manchurian candidate carefully inserted into the Venezuelan legislature by the US years ago. He is the legitimate leading representative of the last legislative body to be, relatively, freely elected (Maduro tried to rig the election but seriously underestimated the amount of rigging necessary).

The success of the opposition in that election is what led to the final breakdown of the constitutional order in Venezuela. Maduro never recognized his loss in that election and has since neutered the body by packing the supreme court before the new representatives were sworn in and then setting up a parallel legislative assembly, a single party body with candidate lists for the election controlled by the PSUV.

If he is not a legitimate channel for opposition to the regime then who is? All that is left is a military putsch, which would not lead to any significant change in the country since the top military officials are all happily part of the regime and the looting or a civil war and guerilla campaign which is likely to last decades going by any of the other examples in the region.

All that aside, cheerleading of Abrams and Bolton in the media should be called out as well as any whitewashing or their or the US' action in South America. We all need to keep a close eye on statements from the White House and protest any hare brained schemes and interventions coming from the President or any of his bugfuck crazy advisors.

[edit] Looking at what the Twitter guy has pinned there is indeed a non-zero chance you think Guiado is a deep cover US Manchurian candidate.

ok eliot higgins

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It doesn't matter whether or not Maduro is a bad guy. What matters is that for the past half century every time the US has decided to overthrow a foreign government, it has always gone poorly. Maduro might be a really lovely president, but it's guaranteed that if the US steps in we will make it worse.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

that saddam hussein sure sucks huh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Munin posted:

Elliott Abrams, he was the bag man for Reagan in South America and involved in every piece of shady poo poo that the US did down there in that period:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Abrams

A week ago he was appointed as special envoy to Venezuela. Between him and Bolton we have the anti-democratic and anti-diplomatic dream team.

quote:

Early the next morning, the soldiers reassembled the entire village in the square. They separated the men from the women and children and locked them in separate groups in the church, the convent, and various houses.

During the morning, they proceeded to interrogate, torture, and execute the men in several locations. Around noon, they began taking the women and older girls in groups, separating them from their children and machine-gunning them after raping them. Girls as young as 10 were raped, with soldiers reportedly heard bragging how they especially liked the 12-year-old girls. Finally, they killed the children at first by slitting their throats, then by hanging them from trees, with one child as young as two years old. After killing the entire population, the soldiers set fire to the buildings.

The soldiers remained in El Mozote that night but, the next day, went to the village of Los Toriles and carried out a further massacre. Men, women, and children were taken from their homes, lined up, robbed, and shot, and their homes then set ablaze.

abrams claimed this was propaganda.

the media was just as monstrous (raymond bonner was the journalist who reported on the massacre):

quote:

In February, in an editorial, "The Media's War", The Wall Street Journal criticized Bonner's reporting as "overly credulous" and "out on a limb". In Time magazine, William A. Henry III wrote a month later, "An even more crucial if common oversight is the fact that women and children, generally presumed to be civilians, can be active participants in guerrilla war. New York Times correspondent Raymond Bonner underplayed that possibility, for example, in a much-protested January 27 report of a massacre by the army in and around the village of Mozote." U.S. Ambassador Deane Hinton called Bonner an "advocate journalist".

the sole survivor's story:

quote:

Hidden in a tree to which she had run while soldiers were distracted, Amaya watched and listened as government soldiers raped women, then killed men, women, and children by machine-gunning them, then burning their bodies. Amaya lost not only her neighbors, but also her husband, Domingo Claros, whose decapitation she saw; her 9-year-old son, Cristino, who cried out to her, "Mama, they’re killing me. They’ve killed my sister. They’re going to kill me."; and her daughters María Dolores, María Lilian, and María Isabel, ages 5 years, 3 years, and 8 months old.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

the media was just as monstrous (raymond bonner was the journalist who reported on the massacre):

Precisely, that piece of poo poo. And that is only one of the things he was involved in whitewashing or enabling.

It says volumes about the people Trump surrounds himself with that he was appointed. It would be funny if it wasn't so utterly disgusting.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Jesus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm so glad the right wing media learned nothing from Syria.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm so glad the right wing media learned nothing from Syria.

Dude, other way around.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Look at the time stamps! They were made within TWENTY minutes! :lol:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Look at the time stamps! They were made within TWENTY minutes! :lol:

The Son of Erick enjoys the occasional massive cell phone.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Supporting Maduro means supporting cops so I obviously can’t do that but that doesn’t mean America wants to do good things in Latin America

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

OneEightHundred posted:

A ditch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBB9QpNWayc

elliot abrams laughing as allan nairn says he should be put on trial.

and his response is "this guy thinks we were on the wrong side in the cold war." yeah i think if we support the types of things that would give the nazis nightmares "we" were on the wrong side.

Munin posted:

It says volumes about the people Trump surrounds himself with that he was appointed. It would be funny if it wasn't so utterly disgusting.

and it's why trump is only different than a generic republican in temperament. the bush admin hired abrams when he should've been someone you kept a million miles away (he had to be pardoned by bush's dad for lying to congress about iran-contra on top of being an unrepentant war criminal).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Groovelord Neato posted:

in Idi i Smotri (come and see), there's a bit where a captured SS officer explains to the partisans why they were committing all these atrocities in Belarus. According to the SS man, they didn't really care that much at all about the villages. But in 15 or 20 years those children who witnessed the war would become young men and women, and they might get it in their head to be uppity and rebel. And, so the most important job for the SS was to cull and murder as many children as possible to keep future generations docile. Reminds me of that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneEightHundred posted:

Like, it's situational ethics for everything, and pretty sure they weren't offering Al Franken an olive branch, but blackface and Klan robes in medical school is "hmm I dunno guys maybe we should let this slide."

A valley to flee through?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1092092402498596864

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
https://twitter.com/DanaPerino/status/1092204647220158464

https://twitter.com/DanaPerino/status/686332037918244864

I'm trying to think of a more elegant way to put it, but I feel like these two tweets tell a much more comprehensive story about FOX in general than they might initially seem to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hearing Fox defend the president's schedule coming out as mostly ~executive time~ has been fun today.

They literally talk about him like he's a kid with a learning disability, this isn't a slam I'm saying it's genuinely how it sounds. The go-to once they get past the generic 'LEAKS ARE BAD AND DANGEROUS' and 'ah heh shouldn't you libs LIKE that he's not working????' stuff is just 'no the libs don't understand he needs unstructured work time to perform best...' and 'he comes from an unstructured environment before this you can't expect him to change his learning patterns suddenly'!

Like, if they gave actually disabled people half the empathy they give our demented kkk member president we'd have a lot better time.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

sexpig by night posted:

Like, if they gave [anyone other than themselves] half the empathy they give our demented kkk member president we'd have a lot better time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sexpig by night posted:

Hearing Fox defend the president's schedule coming out as mostly ~executive time~ has been fun today.

They literally talk about him like he's a kid with a learning disability, this isn't a slam I'm saying it's genuinely how it sounds. The go-to once they get past the generic 'LEAKS ARE BAD AND DANGEROUS' and 'ah heh shouldn't you libs LIKE that he's not working????' stuff is just 'no the libs don't understand he needs unstructured work time to perform best...' and 'he comes from an unstructured environment before this you can't expect him to change his learning patterns suddenly'!

Like, if they gave actually disabled people half the empathy they give our demented kkk member president we'd have a lot better time.
Newt Gingrich's dumb tweet defending Trump this morning was my favorite

"THE ELITES don't understand history and how Churchill was able to defeat the Nazis by taking a nap every afternoon etc, etc"

Trump literally doesn't read any of his briefings or even listen when they are explained to him, and this is even after the intelligence people have dumbed it way down for him compared to previous Presidents. The guy just said the other day that he gets to decide what intelligence reports he wants to trust.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

https://twitter.com/DanaPerino/status/1092204647220158464

https://twitter.com/DanaPerino/status/686332037918244864

I'm trying to think of a more elegant way to put it, but I feel like these two tweets tell a much more comprehensive story about FOX in general than they might initially seem to.

Later, she says it was 'a bit on the spicy side for me' which actually makes sense given the food I assume is usually eaten at FoxNews, but I can't get past the cream of mushroom soup. In queso.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Later, she says it was 'a bit on the spicy side for me' which actually makes sense given the food I assume is usually eaten at FoxNews, but I can't get past the cream of mushroom soup. In queso.

If you're gonna combine Velveeta and Rotel, that's where you loving stop. That's all you need. If you're going to make actual queso then you don't do... That. :barf:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

DrNutt posted:

If you're gonna combine Velveeta and Rotel, that's where you loving stop. That's all you need. If you're going to make actual queso then you don't do... That. :barf:

Maybe she was out of mayo and thought cream of mushroom could substitute?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's amusing is that Perino's reaction seems to be somewhere in the middle of "I went viral! I'm famous! Love me!" and "They're mocking me! Defend me! They're so elitist! Its because I'm white and christian and conservative!"

A true RWM combination.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DrNutt posted:

Cream cheese can come, too.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

She's overqualified for Trump Grill.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

it was a bit spicy because it had jalapenos (seeds removed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It rules the media is pushing for war with venezuela.