Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

enemy controller is versatile and can steal monsters to steal games and people ran it at 3 in every deck before they put it to 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Taintrunner posted:

Okay I put 25 bucks into Duel Links and now I have Kaiba with his first skill - Mountain - and an all dragon deck that I think is pretty good at steamrolling? I’ll post a screen cap later.

Also what’s so good about Enemy Controller?
Kaiba is a great place to start, even a pure F2P Blue Eyes deck can be pretty decent.

ECon's first mode changes a monster to defense position, which is like negating an attack but with the extra benefit of still being able to do it against things like Ancient Gears and Mirage Dragon. And ECon's second mode lets you sacrifice a monster to steal a monster for one turn. This can be to steal your opponent's biggest monster to stall them from swinging with a full board, to swing at them with their own beater, or to 1-for-1 if you use it for a tribute immediately after. Hell, once I even used it to steal a Blue Eyes in response to Burst Stream of Destruction, which was amazing.

Did you get the White Dragon of Legends structure deck? It sucks having to pay real money for more than one copy, but if you already did, then Dragon Spirit of White is an MVP, and Bingo Machine, Go! does wonders for the deck's consistency.

Plus, if you play as Arcana and use Trick Up The Sleeve on Cosmo Brain, you're basically playing a version of a Tier 2-ish deck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 28, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great post, thanks! Yeah, the structure deck was one of the first things I bought. I also ordered a physical version I’m waiting to come in the mail.

I also finally finished assembling my first TCG deck, is there an easy way to share it and maybe get your guys’ review of it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What you want to do is post a really blurry image of the cards stacked over each other in such a way that we can't see the text or the art and have to guess what they are based on the slivers of colour we can see.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, okay. Well, here's my first run at a dragon focused deck with Kaiba. Does somewhat okay in Ranked.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

might want to turn global chat off

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are you talking about. My experience is so much more immersive this way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lord of D is rarely gonna actually happen. Work on leveling up Mokuba to get one or two copies of Ancient Rules, instead. (I think rank reward tickets can give you them, too.) Kidmodo Dragon is a Mokuba drop, and can also work as filler monsters. So can Blue Dragon Summoner, from the Card Trader.

And you shouldn't be running so many traps if you're running Treacherous. (Grats on getting one, though.) I'd work on getting an Enemy Controller from Kaiba, that'll take up your two semilimited slots. And if you also get a Champion's Vigilance, rad.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, thanks! Yeah, that Blue Dragon Summoner is a real steal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So it appears Konami is bringing the Speed Duel format from Duel Links into the physical game, found two starter sets for it at Target today, each had 3 different ~20 card decks in it(which at the normal 10 bucks range that most Starter & Structure Decks cost is not a bad deal), will be interesting to see how well it does and how much support Konami ends up giving it

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So it appears Konami is bringing the Speed Duel format from Duel Links into the physical game, found two starter sets for it at Target today, each had 3 different ~20 card decks in it(which at the normal 10 bucks range that most Starter & Structure Decks cost is not a bad deal), will be interesting to see how well it does and how much support Konami ends up giving it

Yeah, they just put a YouTube video detailing how to play it too. I wonder if it allows Pendulum or something because I don't know if they did any rule books online yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BTxUt1hC8U

Featuring Pegasus! :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speed dueling is only legal if the victor is allowed to call their opponent a third rate duelist with a fourth rate deck

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, they just put a YouTube video detailing how to play it too. I wonder if it allows Pendulum or something because I don't know if they did any rule books online yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BTxUt1hC8U

Featuring Pegasus! :v:

The only legal cards for speed dueling have the speed dueling symbol on them, and since there's no Pendulums with the symbol, they're not legal yet.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Taintrunner posted:

Speed dueling is only legal if the victor is allowed to call their opponent a third rate duelist with a fourth rate deck

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

apparently speed duels format already basically has a tier zero deck so great job konami

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

apparently speed duels format already basically has a tier zero deck so great job konami

It's Blue-Eyes, right? It's gotta be Blue-Eyes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

It's Blue-Eyes, right? It's gotta be Blue-Eyes.

Cosmic brain blue eyes should have you put in jail for how unstoppable it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

The only legal cards for speed dueling have the speed dueling symbol on them, and since there's no Pendulums with the symbol, they're not legal yet.

Technically the little guide that came with the decks only says that you should only use specific speed duel cards, it doesn't treat it as an absolute requirement, but maybe they say otherwise elsewhere

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Technically the little guide that came with the decks only says that you should only use specific speed duel cards, it doesn't treat it as an absolute requirement, but maybe they say otherwise elsewhere

I mean, you could use non-speed duel cards for speed duels, but official events are only going to allow cards with the mark on them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Cosmic brain blue eyes should have you put in jail for how unstoppable it is
CBBE is like Tier 3 right now in DL. Koa'ki Meiru got all their cool toys and can run either OTK or control, and you don't know which you're dealing with until you commit to a play.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Yeah nothing is tier zero right now in Duel Links, but KMs is pretty close. The trick is to play a slow game with them since they run out of resources fast. Buster Blader counters it completely if they get DNA surgery + the fusion on board, and of course since that's going to be a t1 meta deck, Blue-Eyes can't compete.

However, yeah, Blue-Eyes seems to be The poo poo in physical speed duels, because like a few years ago in the Red-Eyes-dominated duel links meta, Champion's Vigilance at 3 and having a large beatstick on board is a hell of a thing to try to counter in the limited format. Magic Jammer to stop Flute of Summoning Dragon is an instant out to pretty much the whole deck, but it's more consistent for Blue-Eyes to get their combo going (because of the Dragon Caller skill) than other decks to draw into their counters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

Yeah nothing is tier zero right now in Duel Links, but KMs is pretty close. The trick is to play a slow game with them since they run out of resources fast. Buster Blader counters it completely if they get DNA surgery + the fusion on board, and of course since that's going to be a t1 meta deck, Blue-Eyes can't compete.

However, yeah, Blue-Eyes seems to be The poo poo in physical speed duels, because like a few years ago in the Red-Eyes-dominated duel links meta, Champion's Vigilance at 3 and having a large beatstick on board is a hell of a thing to try to counter in the limited format. Magic Jammer to stop Flute of Summoning Dragon is an instant out to pretty much the whole deck, but it's more consistent for Blue-Eyes to get their combo going (because of the Dragon Caller skill) than other decks to draw into their counters.

https://ygorganization.com/toottootonmyflute/

There's outs to Magic Jammer the deck can run, so there's that at least.

But of course Blue-Eyes are the number one deck. Konami just can't help themselves from jerking off to Kaiba again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

I mean, you could use non-speed duel cards for speed duels, but official events are only going to allow cards with the mark on them.

Well yeah I figured that would be the case, I assume this means we will be getting more product for this format then

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well yeah I figured that would be the case, I assume this means we will be getting more product for this format then

The first booster set, Arena of Lost Souls, is coming out at the end of March, so Konami is most likely going to be supporting the format for at least a little while.

Sphere Kuriboh is confirmed in the set so there's a bit of power creep already, lol. Maybe it'll help keep Blue-Eyes in check though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

Sphere Kuriboh is confirmed in the set so there's a bit of power creep already, lol. Maybe it'll help keep Blue-Eyes in check though.
If it didn't have a mandatory staple UR, could you even call it Yu-Gi-Oh?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

The first booster set, Arena of Lost Souls, is coming out at the end of March, so Konami is most likely going to be supporting the format for at least a little while.

Do we know of any additional decks for it yet as well?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nope. The only current upcoming product is Arena of Lost Souls.

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Arena_of_Lost_Souls

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My Horus deck seems to be doing decently against the meta? I got to Silver 5 and people tend to disconnect or just scoop when LV4 drops.

Found this one in the decklist thing, been trying it as my main.

Don't see the point of Silent Swordsman since Horus LV6 is basically the same thing but it does have a higher ATK. This also has no way to stop backrow which is annoying while my deck can at least stop Traps during the Battle Phase.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

My Horus deck seems to be doing decently against the meta? I got to Silver 5 and people tend to disconnect or just scoop when LV4 drops.

Found this one in the decklist thing, been trying it as my main.

Don't see the point of Silent Swordsman since Horus LV6 is basically the same thing but it does have a higher ATK. This also has no way to stop backrow which is annoying while my deck can at least stop Traps during the Battle Phase.
The reason Silent Swordsman gets used instead is because Silent Sword Slash is straight-up busted in a format like this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

Nope. The only current upcoming product is Arena of Lost Souls.

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Arena_of_Lost_Souls

Kinda funny that Bonz is apparently the next character to be getting Skill Card support

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

The reason Silent Swordsman gets used instead is because Silent Sword Slash is straight-up busted in a format like this.

Yah but that deck doesn't run Silent Sword Slash...I think whoever made it just randomly threw Silent Swordsman in just because.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

There are a ton of deck lists posted like that in-game, where they include cards that either don't actually work the way they think they work (like all the Synchro decks that run that one spell card that turns a level 4 normal monster into a tuner... and then don't actually include any normal monsters it can be used on) or just straight up include cards they can't use at all (like all the decks that run Fusion monsters in the Extra deck with no way to actually fuse them).

You also get deck lists that are basically just "Structure Deck but with a few cards added/changed," "Structure Deck that is completely unaltered," and my personal favorites, "Character's default starting deck with no changes at all."

Doesn't help that the deck list search function is absolute rear end because you can't filter by specific words or card names.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like a hipster complaining about it, but it's disheartening that everyone is playing AGG so hardcore that it's flooding the ladder and getting preboarded against. Funniest tech I've seen though is Cursed Sea of the Forbidden Spell just loving eating Geartown. :byewhore:

Currently running an AGGUP OTK build with Mausoleum of the Emperor just to dodge most of the usual techs. Also because it's hilarious to see someone prep for a back row deck and then get demolished by a 3k piercing beater swinging twice.

Edit: Side bonus of Cursed Seal, it also kills Diamond Core, which can be devastating considering how much the deck relies on tutoring for consistency.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 8, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dropped $10 on a Google Play Card at work today, used it to pick up the Ancient Gear deck, then used the remainder on the "3 packs + 1 guaranteed UR" sale to try and snag a few URs I wanted, wound up getting three out of the six I wanted, which wasn't too bad.

Went with Tornado of Phantoms for Elemental HERO Great Tornado (got it!), Revolution Beginning for a second Karakuri Shogun Mdl 00 "Burei" (got a second Ancient Sacred Wyvern instead), Blackstorm Rising for Sakuretsu Armor (got it!), Secrets of the Forest for Armedes, Keeper of Boundaries (got Ancient Fairy Dragon instead), Clash of Wings for Widespread Ruin (got it!) and Generation Next for Floodgate Trap Hole (got Evil Dragon Ananta instead).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I played some Yugioh on PSP a while ago and really enjoyed it so now I want to pick it up on my phone and play it during breaks at work and stuff. I took a look at Duel Links and I'm kind of paralyzed by the amount of meta. Can I just buy from a box that looks like it has stuff I would have fun playing with and put together a deck of (I'm pulling these out of thin air) penguins? Or skeletons? and win some games? Or do I actually need to make sure I have X amount of Y magic card in all my decks to even have a chance?

I mean one of the things that really impressed me playing it on PSP was that it had like 4000 cards or something ridiculous like that so I was always digging up new crazy stuff I'd never even heard of to try out. Then I was getting curbstomped because all the NPCs were running broken combo decks with multiples of all the really powerful magic cards so...

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
YGOPro is a free fan made yugioh game that has all the cards unlocked and you can play against other people online. Can probably find a link in the discord.

e: Better get used to getting curbstomped though if you're coming back to this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I played some Yugioh on PSP a while ago and really enjoyed it so now I want to pick it up on my phone and play it during breaks at work and stuff. I took a look at Duel Links and I'm kind of paralyzed by the amount of meta. Can I just buy from a box that looks like it has stuff I would have fun playing with and put together a deck of (I'm pulling these out of thin air) penguins? Or skeletons? and win some games? Or do I actually need to make sure I have X amount of Y magic card in all my decks to even have a chance?

I mean one of the things that really impressed me playing it on PSP was that it had like 4000 cards or something ridiculous like that so I was always digging up new crazy stuff I'd never even heard of to try out. Then I was getting curbstomped because all the NPCs were running broken combo decks with multiples of all the really powerful magic cards so...
Getting into Duel Links, you need to ask yourself a simple question:

Do you want to play against the computer, against normal people, or against the best people? If you're leaning towards the first two, just about, yeah. Most PvE and casual PvP can be done just fine with the drops NPCs give and a bit of grinding. Either sink your gems into whatever newish box and starter decks look good or whatever one has cards that supports an archetype you want to play in particular. (One of the recent ones has stuff that plays great with Kaiba and his Blue-Eyes, for example.)

If you're trying to be Good, though, or think you might want to at some point? This is what you're looking for.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 13, 2019

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh, okay. I only want to play the computer and normal people so I'll just go nuts. I really like the look of the knights in Crusaders' Battlegrounds so I might start there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One thing I would advise is prioritizing Rank missions, that's where the fun opponents are hiding. Then once you can fight level 30s and 40s, start looking up some good PvE cards to grind for. For example, high level Kaiba can drop Enemy Controller which is an auto 2-of in any deck that doesn't need a different card more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Also, most of the characters will become available to unlock just by ranking up, but a few of them have special requirements to unlock.

Mokuba Kaiba - Rewarded for completing Mission Bingo
Weevil Underwood - Win 100 duels against standard duelists
Bandit Keith - Win 50 duels against Legendary duelists
Mako Tsunami - Perform 150 Tribute summons
Ishizu Ishtar - Summon 200 Light Attribute monsters
Odion - Activate 300 traps

Aster Phoenix - Summon 200 Dark Attribute monsters
Bastion Misawa - Win 50 games with 3 cards or less left in your deck

Crow Hogan - Beat the Sector Security duelist with a duel assessment of at least 5000
Luna - Win 100 duels with Leo