Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I trust Fox Studios for making comic book movies that I enjoy, but not Sony.

sony made the best comic book movie in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

K. Waste posted:

The issue isn't so much that Venom is actually great and nobody understands it. It's that it is, for all intents and purposes, mediocre if ambitious - and yet the initial reception of it was predominately, "LOL Sony shits the bed again can't wait for Disney to buy these fuckers out too."

Yeah, I've read a few posts whining about the success of venom because they want their spider man venom team up. These people don't want good movies, they want to see their favourite action figures fight each other.

Presumably why they're rooting for the x-men movie to fail

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Why would you root for a movie to fail when the company you want to “win” is already buying the company that owns the movie :psyduck: you’ve already “won”

The only difference it would make is “do we shill out cash to pay for this group of actors to be the MCU X-Men or do we re-cast everyone” depending on the returns on this movie

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

McCloud posted:

Presumably why they're rooting for the x-men movie to fail

How the gently caress is Simon Kinberg still getting work? Who is he relentlessly blowing to make that happen? X3 should have been the final nail.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

personally i'm rooting for the x-men movie to fail because i'm tired of jean grey's only two stories being 'two dudes both want to bone jean grey' and 'jean grey goes crazy and has to be put down'

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

In the last one a swat officer came at Hobbs, wearing a helmet. Hobbs just headbutted him, knocking out the behelmeted guard without a scratch to himself

Well, yeah. Never headbutt a Samoan, that's wrestling 101.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hollismason posted:

There's one specific scene where he shoots the rocket and it blows up and then the camera pulls back and you see all the different cuts of the movie and its insane

Like it is so crazy good. And honestly it's a legit good movie. Like I really like it alot.

If anyone shits on Hulk (2003) they should be Ludovico’d to watch The Incredible Hulk (2009). I rewatched both of them within the past 6 months and the difference is insane. TIH is absolutely hideous looking and has nothing interesting to say. Tim Roth is OK in it because he is always good and everybody else is sleepwalking. I assume people get angrier at Iron Man 2 for tainting their beloved franchise and it’s easier to just ignore TIH altogether, but there’s no way IM2 is the worst MCU film when this exists.

Ang Lee’s movie is not only a great film but also exists from that wonderful time before the superhero formula was so calcified. It’s so unique. I don’t think you can make a big budget comic movie that goes that far outside the lines these day.

Ror fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 2, 2019

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

quote is not edit dum dum

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ror posted:

If anyone shits on Hulk (2003) they should be Ludovico’d to watch The Incredible Hulk (2009).

Thats fine with me tbh. I quite like it. I like Norton’s take and those little moments where he has to lay super low. The blood bit is pretty good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The only real complaint I have about Venom is that I wanted more Riz Ahmed and his interaction with his symbiote. Like, why leave all the fun to Tom Hardy? Ahmed was a wonderful sleazeball and they could have included some nice scenes where Riot or whatever that thing's name was showed Ahmed visions of what they'd do to earth and Ahmed's just "But, I'm going to live, right?"

I like The Incredible Hulk probably more than most on here, but there is very little of it I'd rewatch these days. Most of Lee's Hulk is still amazing in some way but most of Banner's and Ross' scenes are very skipable, excluding the scenes where they try to boink and want to take a cab in New York.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If nothing else, Craig Armstrong's score for The Incredible Hulk whips rear end and is highly underrated, specifically because it's styled less as a bombastic superhero score and more like a gothic horror movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oiG8KmKpqo

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The action in Venom peaks early with the big Sonic Adventure 2 downhill chase, but it's still a decent film mostly exceptional for how it resembles the 2003-2007 wave of mostly standalone attempts to adapt superhero comics, your Ghost Riders, Hulks, and Constantines, which is refreshing in 2018, where the only game is town is either the MCU or Warner Brothers' attempts to speedrun the MCU's marketing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fart City posted:

If nothing else, Craig Armstrong's score for The Incredible Hulk whips rear end and is highly underrated, specifically because it's styled less as a bombastic superhero score and more like a gothic horror movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oiG8KmKpqo

Hulk's first open transformation with some old-rear end university building in the background like he's the Hunchback of Notre Damme is really good because of this music.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ror posted:

If anyone shits on Hulk (2003) they should be Ludovico’d to watch The Incredible Hulk (2009). I rewatched both of them within the past 6 months and the difference is insane. TIH is absolutely hideous looking and has nothing interesting to say. Tim Roth is OK in it because he is always good and everybody else is sleepwalking. I assume people get angrier at Iron Man 2 for tainting their beloved franchise and it’s easier to just ignore TIH altogether, but there’s no way IM2 is the worst MCU film when this exists.

Ang Lee’s movie is not only a great film but also exists from that wonderful time before the superhero formula was so calcified. It’s so unique. I don’t think you can make a big budget comic movie that goes that far outside the lines these day.

It's story at it's heart is about abuse and childhood trauma and it has some really interesting things to say. Like I agree with that you won't see something else like that. I mean GOTG 2 had the Father Son dynamic but I felt that part of it fell flat and really he was just another bad guy in that movie.

Like it's just way ahead of its time imo and just the editing etc.. is so amazing and there's nothing else that it looks like. My only thing that I didn't really like was the ending I felt with the climactic battle was a little too goofy but otherwise it's great.

I am now rewatching The Incredible Hulk to see how it is related.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 2, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It's story at it's heart is about abuse and childhood trauma and it has some really interesting things to say. Like I agree with that you won't see something else like that. I mean GOTG 2 had the Father Son dynamic but I felt that part of it fell flat and really he was just another bad guy in that movie.

Like it's just way ahead of its time imo and just the editing etc.. is so amazing and there's nothing else that it looks like. My only thing that I didn't really like was the ending I felt with the climactic battle was a little too goofy but otherwise it's great.

I am now rewatching The Incredible Hulk to see how it is related.

I think the main difference between Hulk's and GotG2's handling of the dynamic is that GotG2 also includes wish fulfillment and that lightens the mood quite a bit. We can all identify with wanting to have Kurt Russel as our dad, and the movie fails to include any sinister undercurrents when Kurt shows off in front of his son.

Eric Bana on the other hand has nothing he wants from his father, who is a rambling bum. Bana's Banner is deeply traumatized and then his father comes crashing back into his life. Both movies have in common that they have dads trying to claim their sons/their sons lives, but the sons are completely different in both movies.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

K. Waste posted:

The vast majority of film critics have terrible taste, and fandom is a mental disorder. Most people complaining hadn't even seen the movie. They just assumed that it must be bad because 'only marvel studios can make good movies with marvel characters in them' is the monoculture, now. They are trying to wish into fulfillment marvel studios/disney owning everything so that their brand loyalty can be made stronger and more unified.

It's really quite sad, because then when the prophecy fails and Sony actually ends up doing perfectly fine for themselves, it's like Satan has won. It's not enough to say that Venom is a mediocre movie. It has to be awful, because the people who made it are the devil.

Have you thought about taking a break from the internet, maybe going for a walk, thinking about something else? Because holy poo poo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Have you thought about taking a break from the internet, maybe going for a walk, thinking about something else? Because holy poo poo.

I'm sorry about your mental disorder, guess he struck a nerve

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yes , but what if I liked the Marvel Movies and I liked Venom.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You're lying about one of those.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Venom is super queer so I like that aspect of it and I like all the Marvel Movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I second the score for Incredible Hulk being loving rad. I blasted that thing all the time when it came out. Super sick.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

weird thoughts

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Venom is super queer so I like that aspect of it and I like all the Marvel Movies.

This is an interesting take, mind elaborating?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

McCloud posted:

This is an interesting take, mind elaborating?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/venoms-sexuality-is-a-sticky-fluid-freudian-mess-1829605586

https://www.themarysue.com/venom-subtext-and-the-race-for-on-screen-lgbt-representation/

Basically, you have a love story between a alien symbiot that probably prefers the PGP of He/Him and there you go. There's lots of stuff written about it already.

https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/stat...ally-pretty-gay

Anyway. Yeah it's queer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom is legit sweet and kinda heartwarming. It’s a good movie. Not amazing but def better than the critics said.

I think most audiences enjoyed it iirc

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Anyway. Yeah it's queer.

I'm going to out myself as someone who's spent way too much time thinking about a mediocre-to-bad movie, but...

I also appreciate the queerness, and the fact that Eddie isn't portrayed as some ideal of masculine strength. Sure, he wears a leather jacket and rides a motorcycle, but he also screams like a girl. He tells Anne he's scared and he needs help. He doesn't beef with her new boyfriend for a second (beyond strangling him accidentally and apologizing the whole time for it).

It's refreshing.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Hot take: Venom had the potential to be this generation's Blade if wasn't held back by a PG-13.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Venom is a good example of a movie that I wish could have had free reign and been crazy out there like Hulk, but you can see a lot of that ambition under the generic superhero movie coating it sort of has. There's a lot of slog with the worldbuilding and setting up the villain and explaining what that company is doing (and please let Jenny Slate do something fun if you cast her) but everything Tom Hardy does is solid gold and all the Venom/Brock stuff is super charming without sacrificing the 90s ~extreme~ roots. I would take 90 minutes of just Brock and Venom going about their day (or driving home).

Also, check out Upgrade, a.k.a. 'what if venom but computers?' It's certainly not as heartwarming, but it streamlines a lot of similar stuff that feels clunky in Venom and is v. dope in it's own way.

I Before E posted:

The action in Venom peaks early with the big Sonic Adventure 2 downhill chase lobster tank, but it's still a decent film mostly exceptional for how it resembles the 2003-2007 wave of mostly standalone attempts to adapt superhero comics, your Ghost Riders, Hulks, and Constantines, which is refreshing in 2018, where the only game is town is either the MCU or Warner Brothers' attempts to speedrun the MCU's marketing.

Also, I saw a mistake in this post that needed to be fixed. Apparently it wasn't in the script either, which seals the Midas touch of Tom Hardy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/venoms-sexuality-is-a-sticky-fluid-freudian-mess-1829605586

https://www.themarysue.com/venom-subtext-and-the-race-for-on-screen-lgbt-representation/

Basically, you have a love story between a alien symbiot that probably prefers the PGP of He/Him and there you go. There's lots of stuff written about it already.

https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/stat...ally-pretty-gay

Anyway. Yeah it's queer.

Huh. Well that's neat, thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition last night and gently caress it's still so good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Equeen posted:

Hot take: Venom had the potential to be this generation's Blade if wasn't held back by a PG-13.

not that hot really because i agree

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

newts posted:

I'm going to out myself as someone who's spent way too much time thinking about a mediocre-to-bad movie, but...

I also appreciate the queerness, and the fact that Eddie isn't portrayed as some ideal of masculine strength. Sure, he wears a leather jacket and rides a motorcycle, but he also screams like a girl. He tells Anne he's scared and he needs help. He doesn't beef with her new boyfriend for a second (beyond strangling him accidentally and apologizing the whole time for it).

It's refreshing.

agreed,i really liked how polite he was to the boyfriend and vice versa.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

The only real complaint I have about Venom is that I wanted more Riz Ahmed and his interaction with his symbiote. Like, why leave all the fun to Tom Hardy? Ahmed was a wonderful sleazeball and they could have included some nice scenes where Riot or whatever that thing's name was showed Ahmed visions of what they'd do to earth and Ahmed's just "But, I'm going to live, right?"

Yeah, we never get much of an idea of who Riot is. The time we spend with him body-swapping his way across the globe doesn’t particularly characterize him.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, they have Riot being inside Riz Ahmed as a "surprise" but it doesn't land. It would have been way better to actually have a scene between Riot and Riz to shade those characters more.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I trust Fox Studios for making comic book movies that I enjoy, but not Sony, who made Venom. Although I think Sony made Spider-Man Home Coming? And I liked that movie a lot.

Fox made Xmen Origins Wolverine and Xmen Apocalypse so maybe you've got brain problems.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I’m still kicking myself for not going to see Venom in theaters just because my coworker (and all the critics) said that it sucked.

Equeen posted:

Abolish the PG-13 rating. In a just world, things would be either PG or R.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 3, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Fox made Xmen Origins Wolverine and Xmen Apocalypse so maybe you've got brain problems.

But they also made Logan. :angel:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

But they also made Logan. :angel:

And X-2, First Class, and Days of Future Past, all of which (especially the Rogue Cut of the latter) are some of the better-quality comics movies. X-2 in particular set the stage for a lot of later comic movie successes, including MCU.

Though I think I still like Blade better than any X-movie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ror posted:

Also, I saw a mistake in this post that needed to be fixed. Apparently it wasn't in the script either, which seals the Midas touch of Tom Hardy.

Well that's the comedic peak, I was specifically talking about the best action scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

K. Waste posted:

The issue isn't so much that Venom is actually great and nobody understands it. It's that it is, for all intents and purposes, mediocre if ambitious - and yet the initial reception of it was predominately, "LOL Sony shits the bed again can't wait for Disney to buy these fuckers out too."

Can't wait for Marvel to get the rights to all superheroes so we can have uniform superhero movies: cement-and-gravel 2000's network TV cinematography, reset-button-hero-arcs, and unrelenting quippy-and-snippy dialogue.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 3, 2019