Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RME posted:

It’s actually decently recent, i5-8400 so it’s got an intel UHD 630 igpu i think
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a driver issue in that case

Easy question and answer. Do you have the monitor plugged in with HDMI or Display port?

If you are HDMI, there is your problem. Swap to DP (If your pc has a port for that) and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah Maxwell is the most impressive Nvidia uarch in recent memory, the power efficiency gains they got without switching to a new process was pretty incredible.

It's noteworthy that DARPA gave nvidia decent funding to lower power consumption between Fermi and Maxwell. There were a few other gov funding initiatives that nvidia picked up in that time frame, all of which happened to be aligned with what nvidia was already trying to do.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Easy question and answer. Do you have the monitor plugged in with HDMI or Display port?

If you are HDMI, there is your problem. Swap to DP (If your pc has a port for that) and you're golden.

no DP output, just 2 HDMI

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RME posted:

no DP output, just 2 HDMI

Then there is your problem. Unfortunately that meets you just gotta get a GPU with a DP cable on it as for whatever reason these Ultrawides are limited to 50Hz on HDMI.

You can go as low as say a 750ti which is actually a Maxwell card and be just fine for both power and a little visual grunt.

Or heck, even things like a 7470 or something that came in a lot of Dells back when.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Is there any difference outside of number of fans/RGB between these?

* EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 XC Ultra Dual-Fan 8GB
* ASUS ROG STRIX Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB
* MSI Duke GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB
* Zotac AMP GeForce RTX 2080 Triple-Fan 8GB

There's a whopping $40 price difference between the EVGA and the Zotac, so I'm curious as to the difference. Is the overclocking on say, the ASUS/MSI/Zotac something you can't do with EVGA's OC software?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Zotac's version of the 1080 was way too loud, depends if saving 40 dollars is worth the extra noise to you. The PCBs and bioses are locked down and will be minimally different.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Tensokuu posted:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1706274-official-nvidia-rtx-2080-owner-s-club.html
Power limits on those cards are:
  • 292W
  • 307W
  • 256W
  • 250W
Overclocking on cards with lower limits will be worse. They also have boost clock differences.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tensokuu posted:

* EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 XC Ultra Dual-Fan 8GB
* ASUS ROG STRIX Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB
* MSI Duke GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB
* Zotac AMP GeForce RTX 2080 Triple-Fan 8GB

There's a whopping $40 price difference between the EVGA and the Zotac, so I'm curious as to the difference. Is the overclocking on say, the ASUS/MSI/Zotac something you can't do with EVGA's OC software?

Higher end Turing chips are actually binned. I don't have the time to look them all up right now, but there are actually better chips in some GPUs that will clock higher all else being equal.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Power-wise I'd be fine - I have an 850w PSU*.

I probably have a lack of understanding here -- is there more or less a "best buy" in the 2080 category?

Edit: If I am to believe https://www.gamingscan.com/best-rtx-2080/ (I have no clue who they are) -- their top picks are the Duke and the Zotac. I kinda wish there was a nice comparison chart somewhere of the different cards including poo poo like warranties or whatever, but it doesn't look like that's the case from what I can google.

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 2, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MSI and Asus put more effort on their Gaming and Strix lines (respectively) when it comes to cooling and binning. You're getting 0db fans and whatnot you sometimes don't get at the entry level. I think Asus Strix can even tie the GPU's fans to your case fans so the case will spin up to cool the card down (likely requires an Asus motherboard as well).

EVGA, you're getting better binned and factory OC on the XC (formerly Superclocked) line, and FTW being the chips that bin well enough that they're worth slapping a lot of extra power on there in case the user wants to super OC. They do have some extra cooling features but those are generally overboard, and were invented to counter the earliest 1080s reputation for overheating due to defects.

Anyway, out of the cards you listed, if you listed them in order of price I'd say the Strix is better than the XC. If it was an FTW I could understand paying more maybe. When it comes to "best buy", people generally recommend brands with transferable warranties (EVGA, MSI) because GPU hardcores tend to be a "use it until you sell it to someone poorer than you to buy the next gen" product where you're perpetually using money from the last one to buy the next one. If you use it to the point where you're simply not able to run what you want to run anymore, you may hold the card long enough that warranty matters less anyhow.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 3, 2019

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Craptacular! posted:

I think Asus Strix can even tie the GPU's fans to your case fans so the case will spin up to cool the card down (likely requires an Asus motherboard as well).
Not exactly, they just put a couple PWM headers on the side of the card that you plug your case fans into (but the case fans also count towards the cards total TDP/power limit).

You can still do it in software with a lot of motherboards by using speedfan to rev up your case fans based on both the CPU and GPU temps. I used to do that before I went full custom water and just slaved everything to the coolant temperature.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Anyway, out of the cards you listed, if you listed them in order of price I'd say the Strix is better than the XC. If it was an FTW I could understand paying more maybe. When it comes to "best buy", people generally recommend brands with transferable warranties (EVGA, MSI) because GPU hardcores tend to be a "use it until you sell it to someone poorer than you to buy the next gen" product where you're perpetually using money from the last one to buy the next one. If you use it to the point where you're simply not able to run what you want to run anymore, you may hold the card long enough that warranty matters less anyhow.

Yeah they were in order of price I am pretty sure. This was mostly the answer I was looking for. I considered getting a 1080 Ti used but that also kinda concerns me because you never really know if the person selling it is truthful. I can afford the 2080 - I had to cut back on some of the fluff I wanted extra but I can do it without too much loss - so I may get the STRIX seeing I’m getting an ASUS board anyhow.

Thanks everyone!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Higher end Turing chips are actually binned. I don't have the time to look them all up right now, but there are actually better chips in some GPUs that will clock higher all else being equal.

These a seem to be better binned chips. The baseline boost clock for the 2080 is 1710 MHz, and all of these cards have factory overclocks higher than that. Since bottom-bin chips are allowed to be factory overclocked, they'll all be the top-bin chips.

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah they were in order of price I am pretty sure. This was mostly the answer I was looking for. I considered getting a 1080 Ti used but that also kinda concerns me because you never really know if the person selling it is truthful. I can afford the 2080 - I had to cut back on some of the fluff I wanted extra but I can do it without too much loss - so I may get the STRIX seeing I’m getting an ASUS board anyhow.

Thanks everyone!

Ebay has pretty good buyer protection - as long as the listing isn't "for parts", you'll have a month to initiate a return if anything isn't working properly (even if the seller says "no returns"). EVGA, MSi, and Gigabyte cards will still have some remaining warranty, too (though you'll need to be vigilant for pcb damage - that voids warranty). That said, it means you need to check everything carefully (plus, returns are a hassle)!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 3, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Radeon 7 teardown with GN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b9_c4oJRTE

First time I can remember seeing a graphite pad in a GPU, although this one seems pretty different than the other ones on the aftermarket (like the IC one or the Debauer one)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, that's one way of fixing uneven die heights, even if the one on Radeon VII is all flat with the resin coating.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
How long do you think it'll be til someone laps the resin straight through a bare die?

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Given nVidia's latest results and lack of interest in the RTX cards, should we expect a successor to the 2080/ti to be announced sometime later this year?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Normally they go 2 years between major card releases, at most I'd expect anything new released this year to just be a rebadge.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

craig588 posted:

Normally they go 2 years between major card releases, at most I'd expect anything new released this year to just be a rebadge.

Isn't that a recent thing? Looking at the GTX 480 through 780, it was every year or sometimes less

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The next thing from nVidia will likely be an RTX die shrink.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starting with the 8800 in late 2006 to the 280 in mid 2008 to the 480 in early 2010 to the 680 in early 2012 to the 980 in late 2014 to the 1080 in early 2016. (I looked up their dates to make sure I didn't remember them wrong) Before the 8800 they were doing major releases every year.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Since it's a 99.999% chance the next-gen consoles will be an AMD-only affair once again, I highly doubt the tensor cores survive in the next-gen NV gaming chips and the whole RT/DLSS gimmick will be emulated with general purpose cores to gracefully pull out from the RTX marketing hole they dug themselves into with Turing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

tbh its only a matter of time before sony and MS realize that if people will spend $1450 on an iphone, theyll probably spend whatever the gently caress on an XTwone

i look forward to getting UHD/high refresh as a paid unlock monthly service (XBL Gold Platinum 2.0)

Worf fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 5, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

craig588 posted:

Starting with the 8800 in late 2006 to the 280 in mid 2008 to the 480 in early 2010 to the 680 in early 2012 to the 980 in late 2014 to the 1080 in early 2016. (I looked up their dates to make sure I didn't remember them wrong) Before the 8800 they were doing major releases every year.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Isn't that a recent thing? Looking at the GTX 480 through 780, it was every year or sometimes less

The 700 line was a mix of a Kepler refresh (i.e. 2012's 600 series) launching in 2013 and new Maxwell cards that launched in 2014 just ahead of the 970/980. The 780 was a Kepler refresh. Major architecture releases have been pretty consistently on a 2-year schedule.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

tbh its only a matter of time before sony and MS realize that if people will spend $1450 on an iphone, theyll probably spend whatever the gently caress on an XTwone

i look forward to getting UHD/high refresh as a paid unlock monthly service (XBL Gold Platinum 2.0)

I can't tell if I'm having a stroke or you are. What does any of this mean?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

beejay posted:

That Sony and Microsoft will increase their pricing for everything gaming related.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Stickman posted:

The 700 line was a mix of a Kepler refresh (i.e. 2012's 600 series) launching in 2013 and new Maxwell cards that launched in 2014 just ahead of the 970/980. The 780 was a Kepler refresh. Major architecture releases have been pretty consistently on a 2-year schedule.

Ohhh ok. I assumed we were talking about just x80 cards

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

beejay posted:

That consoles will be priced like mid-range enthusiast GPUs instead of a dinner at a chain restaurant.

Probably not wrong that someone will try a pay-to-unlock hardware thing again but those manage to garner all the negative customer reaction that taking working chips and lasering off features permanently doesn't.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Nah, nvidia sales figures are down and iPhone sales are down 15%. It turns out a thousand bucks is still a lot of money to most people.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The next thing from nVidia will likely be an RTX die shrink.
It's definitely a shrink to 7nm

I doubt the goofy RTX stuff is going away in one generation with that in mind.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Turing was apparently designed around 10nm. If they could actually get that working, they should be able to afford enough of a price drop for a decent price/performance boost, add a bit more RAM, and maybe even shove another card on the top of the stack. Of course, without competition, they'll probably throw on some minimal improvements and pocket the improved margin.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 5, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

We can only hope that Intel actually has something actually in the works and it's not all hot air about their "Photo Realism".

And hopefully AMD can pull something out as well with Navi.

I don't see RTX going away, but I don't see competition/pricing improving until one of these other two actually managed to punch one out of the park in the first time in 10+ years.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Palladium posted:

Since it's a 99.999% chance the next-gen consoles will be an AMD-only affair once again, I highly doubt the tensor cores survive in the next-gen NV gaming chips and the whole RT/DLSS gimmick will be emulated with general purpose cores to gracefully pull out from the RTX marketing hole they dug themselves into with Turing.

At least on 7mm it'll be a reasonably cheap gimmick since there's no need to add more RT cores for now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
An annoying thing that Nvidia has done:

418.88, you cannot decline to install in progress anymore, you have to install and then uninstall.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The new Nvidia driver also has a "DCH" version. What the hell is that? Do I install that or the "Standard" version?

edit: nvm, I found out what the DCH version is it's for OEM hardware. I will install the standard version of the new driver.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 5, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Looking at detailed shots of Radeon VII.... can I just say, I'm not enthused about.... The Shroud?

It feels like AMD forgot everything they learned about not choking off their older blower cards with the super-restrictive IO plate, and really, venting air out on the PCIe connector side?

If that's not asking for recirculating hot air, I don't know what is.

the only thing that I can say for, say, the RTX cards, is that at least the shroud appears to be symmetrical, whereas the AMD one looks specifically less restrictive on the slot-side.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

spasticColon posted:

The new Nvidia driver also has a "DCH" version. What the hell is that? Do I install that or the "Standard" version?

edit: nvm, I found out what the DCH version is it's for OEM hardware. I will install the standard version of the new driver.

DCH is the new Windows driver model, Intel offers DCH drivers as well. Over time, DCH will replace drivers built on the old model.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looking at detailed shots of Radeon VII.... can I just say, I'm not enthused about.... The Shroud?

It feels like AMD forgot everything they learned about not choking off their older blower cards with the super-restrictive IO plate, and really, venting air out on the PCIe connector side?

If that's not asking for recirculating hot air, I don't know what is.

the only thing that I can say for, say, the RTX cards, is that at least the shroud appears to be symmetrical, whereas the AMD one looks specifically less restrictive on the slot-side.

Radeon 7 is not a blower card though?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Lambert posted:

DCH is the new Windows driver model, Intel offers DCH drivers as well. Over time, DCH will replace drivers built on the old model.

Will my games run better with the DCH drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy gently caress, I dropped a 1070 ti into my ancient i7-2600k rig. Doom at 200 frames per second is pretty loving awesome!

Huh, this upgrade goes waay beyond gaming; Autodesk Maya's viewport also draws a LOT faster, as does Mudbox. The Mercury engine in Premier Pro also renders much faster.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 6, 2019