Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe I'm an old man shouting at clouds but I find the vast majority of AAA games dull and unfun because any attempts at writing actual stories or being gritty and serious come unstuck because ultimately they're still written by manchildren, and the gameplay itself is way back on the priorities list behind graphics, presentation and monetisation of DLC/microtransactions

Which is why I'm posting in the Nintendo thread I suppose

These are my thoughts exactly. Thank you for wording them out for me.

Edit: I will say that Nintendo is likely the only AAA developer who I assume has made a great and compelling game prior to me playing it. It's the opposite for mostly every other major dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone played Mutant League Football yet and if so, is it good? My main concern is there may be too many RNG elements to the game, like the random environmental hazards that seem to pop up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Prime 3 and Fusion used them just fine, Other M is just such a total trainwreck you can't really use it as a baseline for anything.

Augus posted:

No.
I love Breath of the Wild, but just no.
Square hole, round peg.
Well you already start out with crap stuff in Metroid and upgrade up to badass by the end in a more or less open world gated by abilities...it’d just introduce a lot more opportunities for sequence breaking. Not sure it’d be as big of a deal cause Metroid didn’t get into the super linear rut Zelda did.

Protocol7 posted:

Right Joycon disconnecting randomly is a somewhat common issue, right? I thought it was my shell replacement job but when I tried with a brand new, unused joycon it still happened.

Also, MK8 is a loving blast. My wife and I love it.
Not sure I’d say it’s random as much as crappy (crappier) range, I remember having issues with both myself. I’d guess the left was more noticeable at the time cause you’re constantly using the left stick in Zelda, vs everything on the right being more intermittent inputs.

If possible you can mess with the Switch placement to try to help, or just get closer.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

japtor posted:

Well you already start out with crap stuff in Metroid and upgrade up to badass by the end in a more or less open world gated by abilities...it’d just introduce a lot more opportunities for sequence breaking. Not sure it’d be as big of a deal cause Metroid didn’t get into the super linear rut Zelda did.

Not sure I’d say it’s random as much as crappy (crappier) range, I remember having issues with both myself. I’d guess the left was more noticeable at the time cause you’re constantly using the left stick in Zelda, vs everything on the right being more intermittent inputs.

If possible you can mess with the Switch placement to try to help, or just get closer.
I think Prime is probably the closest Metroid should get to BOTW. That feeling of open-ness and freedom is sort of antithetical to Metroid's usually very claustrophobic atmosphere.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kragger99 posted:

Has anyone played Mutant League Football yet and if so, is it good? My main concern is there may be too many RNG elements to the game, like the random environmental hazards that seem to pop up.

I like it. The environmental hazards are all clearly marked and as far as I can tell they're in set positions along the sides for each stadium.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Hope they patch Wargroove to fix all the glaringly obvious QOL issues. You can’t even see the entire enemy danger zone all at once, unless I missed something. Everything moves just slow enough to be annoying, too. I couldn’t keep playing because of it. Sad!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope they announce a game i want for this giant gently caress off gameboy soon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wargroove just isn't quite clicking for me :/ I'm mostly cool with the gameplay itself but the scale of the missions feels really piddly compared to AW. Hopefully things will open up later in the campaign but man it's dragging so far.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wish the main interface would rotate in Tate mode, or at least had a mode to operate that way. Press home while holding R and L to rotate, something like that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Downwell is real good y'all

Kragger99 posted:

Policenaut posted:

I like it. The environmental hazards are all clearly marked and as far as I can tell they're in set positions along the sides for each stadium.

To add to this, you can turn off the dirty tricks and play full seasons like a better blitz. It's legit got the best tutorial in football games, fully voiced even, and it's an indie game.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 3, 2019

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Downwell is good for the price. If you have gold coins lying around, this is one good way to use them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aw yeah. My Flipgrip came in today. This thing is nice.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Downwell might be the best three dollar game the Switch eshop ever gets.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

downwell is real good for the price

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Where can I get this vertical screen grip you Downwell players have?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Straight White Shark posted:

Wargroove just isn't quite clicking for me :/ I'm mostly cool with the gameplay itself but the scale of the missions feels really piddly compared to AW. Hopefully things will open up later in the campaign but man it's dragging so far.

Same. I don’t think I’ll ever be happy until we actually get another real AW game which will be never so :smith:.

Seriously though, I am kinda hopeful the series will return someday. I don’t care if they have to add dating like FE as long as it comes back.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I adore Downwell. I’ve been playing it with the joycon grip and the screen propped up, I should invest in one of those vertical grips

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The grip is 12 bucks and works with an increasing number of games. It was made for Downwell and Danmaku Unlimited.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The first mission in Wargroove you get the catapults in is bullshit. I think it's all figured out and then all of a sudden 17 units appear and can run halfway across the map and just murder all my poo poo. Definitely some balance issues, but man I'm addicted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

the Flip Grip is available here: https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

(also the same place that I got my Katamari hat :D https://www.fangamer.com/products/katamari-the-prince-knit-beanie )

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Snackmar posted:

the Flip Grip is available here: https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

(also the same place that I got my Katamari hat :D https://www.fangamer.com/products/katamari-the-prince-knit-beanie )

I see someone wearing that hat at my bus stop sometimes. It's a good hat.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I was holding out for the hardware refresh to get a switch but apparently they're not doing a clean upgrade and instead trying to miniaturize it? Can someone fill me in on this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

I was holding out for the hardware refresh to get a switch but apparently they're not doing a clean upgrade and instead trying to miniaturize it? Can someone fill me in on this

Nobody knows anything definite yet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's all rumors at this point, there's nothing definite to fill you in on

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
We've been watching the Super Mario Super Show along with the old Dragon Quest anime, and it makes me wonder why Nintendo stopped turning their franchises into Saturday morning cartoons.

Zelda and Mario make great cartoons. I wonder why they stopped? Other than Pokemon they haven't done anything since the early 90s afaik.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Picking one up myself, thanks. Shame about the shipping delays. Guess it's popular :v:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Midjack posted:

Nobody knows anything definite yet.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's all rumors at this point, there's nothing definite to fill you in on

Guess I'll keep waiting patiently, then. Thanks!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

We've been watching the Super Mario Super Show along with the old Dragon Quest anime, and it makes me wonder why Nintendo stopped turning their franchises into Saturday morning cartoons.

Zelda and Mario make great cartoons. I wonder why they stopped? Other than Pokemon they haven't done anything since the early 90s afaik.

I don’t think Nintendo was happy with them.

There also were Kirby and F-Zero shows. Nintendo was more hands-on with those.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah the Super Show was p terrible (if charming in its own way) but the characters still make great cartoons. My 6 year old still loves that show and it's 30 years old and in really low quality standard definition.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

Yeah the Super Show was p terrible (if charming in its own way) but the characters still make great cartoons. My 6 year old still loves that show and it's 30 years old and in really low quality standard definition.

Nintendo is making a Mario movie so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re thinking shows again.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Imagined posted:

This post just jogged memories of Captain N: the Game Master. Also I now remember a lower budget show with a similar concept that had characters like the generic basketball player from Double Dribble and a tomato from a somewhat obscure puzzle game instead of famous characters like Simon Belmont and Megaman.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tim Whatley posted:

The first mission in Wargroove you get the catapults in is bullshit. I think it's all figured out and then all of a sudden 17 units appear and can run halfway across the map and just murder all my poo poo. Definitely some balance issues, but man I'm addicted.

That's one kind of mission in games like this I don't like in general because of the lack of transparency about what's going to appear so I don't end up with a good sense of how I should have planned out my units. Sure in later attempts I'll be more prepared but it's not to my taste because if I get overwhelmed it feels more like "well I didn't guess what weird bad thing would happen."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Picking one up myself, thanks. Shame about the shipping delays. Guess it's popular :v:

I think it's got something to do with the midwest being frozen solid. I ordered mine on Thursday and it came in today. Most likely because Fangamer is located in Tucson and I live in Phoenix.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo is making a Mario movie so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re thinking shows again.

Nintendo's recent shareholder meeting said that they consider it important to expand the exposure to their IPs in other media (this is the strategy behind all the mobile games, for instance). That's something that pays off for decades. It wouldn't surprise me if the Mario movie is just the beginning.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wish they would port Farcry: Blood Dragon to Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4sclLQeusw

:rock:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Detective Pikachu is part of that thinking.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope they announce a game i want for this giant gently caress off gameboy soon
Get a Flip Grip and play Downwell with the gboy theme :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

Detective Pikachu is part of that thinking.

And it looks amazingly high-effort, the polar opposite of the old SMB cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t think Nintendo was happy with them.

There also were Kirby and F-Zero shows. Nintendo was more hands-on with those.

Don;'t forget Donkey Kong Country!

As much as we'd all like to...