Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm curious as to what effects this will have on dwarf population in worldgen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hey guys, my fort has been running smoothly until something strange happened. My miners have quit mining, my engravers have quit engraving, my woodcutters have quit chopping trees. Other jobs seem to be working fine. I have done multiple save and quit and start again repeats. I have deleted all burrows and disbanded my only military squad. Miners will carry their picks to a bin and put it down when I turn off the job then pick it up when I give it back to them. Googling this problem brings up a ton of old posts about it but no solutions for me.

Anyone encountered this before? I'm running the newest lazy newb pack.

Edit: Okay I seem to have fixed it by doing all of the above and *also* undesignating and re-designating everything.

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 2, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

GorfZaplen posted:

Make sure to change their growth sizes so they are adult sized at 3 years old as well

A squad of military dwarves except its actually a bunch of dwarf children on eachothers shoulders.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’ve started my first game. After watching tutorial vids and reading let’s plays instead of working here’s where I’m at: I managed to dig down one level and open a cavern/room underground. I also chopped some trees. Yay.

1. Am I able to make a stock pile for tons of different poo poo or do I need to make one for every little item?

2. There are walls that even though i designated to be mined, they aren’t being mined. They turn black instead of blue when I designate them and the dwarves ignore it. There is nothing in the way. Am I missing something silly?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So I’ve started my first game. After watching tutorial vids and reading let’s plays instead of working here’s where I’m at: I managed to dig down one level and open a cavern/room underground. I also chopped some trees. Yay.

1. Am I able to make a stock pile for tons of different poo poo or do I need to make one for every little item?

2. There are walls that even though i designated to be mined, they aren’t being mined. They turn black instead of blue when I designate them and the dwarves ignore it. There is nothing in the way. Am I missing something silly?

1. There's a custom stockpile option on the stockpile tab that you can use to set up what you want.
2. If they really have access to it then that might be a bug. I ran into the same thing when I reclaimed a fortress recently.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
When just starting out you can do pretty well by just making one massive room and having a few tiles worth of every kind of stockpile. As mentioned if that's too tedious a custom stockpile could accommodate everything (though you might want to think about how to store things like corpses).

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Turpitude posted:

Hey guys, my fort has been running smoothly until something strange happened. My miners have quit mining, my engravers have quit engraving, my woodcutters have quit chopping trees. Other jobs seem to be working fine. I have done multiple save and quit and start again repeats. I have deleted all burrows and disbanded my only military squad. Miners will carry their picks to a bin and put it down when I turn off the job then pick it up when I give it back to them. Googling this problem brings up a ton of old posts about it but no solutions for me.

Anyone encountered this before? I'm running the newest lazy newb pack.

Edit: Okay I seem to have fixed it by doing all of the above and *also* undesignating and re-designating everything.

Did you accidentally switch to marking mode for your designations?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Brute Squad posted:

Did you accidentally switch to marking mode for your designations?

I haven't played for a long time so I don't know what that is! But the tiles I designated for mining were blue instead of the usual orange. Didn't see anything unusual about the stone smoothing though and I am 100% sure my woodcutters were just brokebrained.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Aquifer maybe?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
On mining you can Now toggle between designations- a I think? The 4 modes are desginate for digging, automine (dig all jewels and minerals in the area) and just Mark the dig area or Mark minerals. Marking mode makes the area blue. Its used for planning where to dig rooms n stuff.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Valtonen posted:

On mining you can Now toggle between designations- a I think? The 4 modes are desginate for digging, automine (dig all jewels and minerals in the area) and just Mark the dig area or Mark minerals. Marking mode makes the area blue. Its used for planning where to dig rooms n stuff.

Haven't played in most of a year, but I think those are separate. 'a' lets you toggle between just mining out an area, automining veins/gems, and marking only veins/gems for mining. 'm' is the one for "Actually designate this for mining" vs "mark this off for planning". E: And yes, blue areas are just marked for planning, dwarves won't dig unless it's that yellow/orange/tan.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So for some dumb reason I’m taking a crack at this game at the same time as Rimworld when I’ve played neither before. While Rimworld is much easier to do things with the interface, I’m finding this one strangely addicting. I started a new game and tunneled into the side of a hill and have a few stock piles, carpentry room and a barracks and the game play loop is strangely addicting.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Turpitude posted:

Urist has nothing to lose but his chains.
Urist has seized the means of production.
:iit:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So for some dumb reason I’m taking a crack at this game at the same time as Rimworld when I’ve played neither before. While Rimworld is much easier to do things with the interface, I’m finding this one strangely addicting. I started a new game and tunneled into the side of a hill and have a few stock piles, carpentry room and a barracks and the game play loop is strangely addicting.

Have you tried setting up a manager and setting some work orders? It'll change your life.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

reignofevil posted:

Have you tried setting up a manager and setting some work orders? It'll change your life.

I have not. What’s all that about? I have dwarf therapist. Is that the same thing?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I have not. What’s all that about? I have dwarf therapist. Is that the same thing?

Manager is a job title in the [n]obles screen. Once you have a manager, you can set up work orders like "make 10 beds" and they'll automatically be handed out to whichever workshops are free to do the task.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tenebrais posted:

Manager is a job title in the [n]obles screen. Once you have a manager, you can set up work orders like "make 10 beds" and they'll automatically be handed out to whichever workshops are free to do the task.

That sounds awesome! Can I do that with my initial 7 dwarves or should I wait until more show up? I guess I could look at their skills and pick a dwarf who has lovely labor skills? What are good skills for a manager to have, or does it not matter?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It doesn't matter, but they need a bit of free time to walk to their office to complete the order. Also they'll need you to build a chair, create a room from it, and assign it to the manager for them to work.

You can also have them pull double duty by making them your bookkeeper as well, which is another type of noble who keeps track of how much stuff you have in your fort.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've been taking over the spare parts stock management and refurbishment at work while the former guy transitions to retirement and I am deeply troubled by how closely the dfhack workflow plugin resembles SAP MM: The Game

...:negative:I actually caught myself trying to use SAP transaction codes in DF the other day

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 3, 2019

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

That sounds awesome! Can I do that with my initial 7 dwarves or should I wait until more show up? I guess I could look at their skills and pick a dwarf who has lovely labor skills? What are good skills for a manager to have, or does it not matter?
In my experience Manager skills don't much matter as long as there's somebody to do the job, but from the wiki, you want somebody solid in Organizer and Consoler/Pacifier, and who isn't going to spend all their time away from the office.

And yeah, as Captain Cappy says, you can make one of your initial 7 the Manager, Bookkeeper, and I also make them the Broker as well. Just give somebody a couple points in Appraiser, Organizer, Judge of Intent, and something useful-but-not-critical like stonecarving.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I pretty much always give one of my original 7 points in Organizer and setup a manger quickly. With a point or two in organizer they spend much less time than they would untrained and it is a far superior method for getting items made.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

My 7 Starting dwarfs:
4x 1pt in miner, of which 2 Also have 1pt in masonry and stonecrafting
1x 1pt carpenter, woodcutter
1x 1pt brewer, farmer, cook
1x 1pt appraiser, organizer, gemcutter, gemsetter.

4 miners later turned to 2 miners and 2 masons,
1 carpenter,
1 brewmeister who farms, cooks and brews, with 3-4 2x4 size fields this feeds 20-30 dorfs,
1 expedition leader who is the Manager, broker and bookkeeper and cuts gems in the corner.

First migrant wave butcher/tanner/leathermaker, 3-5 forgedorfs hopefully.

Second migrant wave professional soldiers, soapmaker, doctor.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So while Book keepers have come up let's focus on an aspect of them that I had overlooked for a long time because of the UI. Precision. Basically you need to tell the dwarf how precise you want him to be at his job of counting things, with the maximum being a count that is completely accurate. From the nobles screen when you have the position of book keeper selected and filled with a dwarf you will see at the bottom it indicates a new option, settings. By pressing s you can choose to have your records have the highest precision (this might take a long time and as mentioned for the Manager position the book keeper will need a chair) and from there your dwarf will begin counting everything!

So how do you actually benefit from this? By checking a screen that you can play dwarf fortress for years without actually ever realizing exists; the status screen! (Up until this very moment I had always called this 'the stocks screen' so it remains mysterious even to those in the know).

It is listed alll the way at the bottom of the commands as letter z, and when you press it it looks like a clown threw up on your monitor. What this screen does is show you roughly how much money your fortress is worth, how many people are in your fort and what their most skilled profession is. It also gives you an idea of how much food and drink is remaining in your fort. If you use your arrow keys you can navigate to a few different menus the one most of note being the actual stocks screen. Here is where your book keeper is going to make his reports on what is in your fortress. From this screen you can designate things to be dumped things to be forbidden and things to be melted making it incredibly useful if you want to do things like take all that worthless iron goblin gear and re purpose it for your own smithing. You can get some good details from looking around this screen about what all is available to make in dwarf fortress.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’ve been tinkering with tile sets and am now goin to try getting some basic infrastructure built playing the game in asskey. Is the default ascii graphics good enough or should I seek out one of the alternate askee graphics mods? Also some general questions about the game: can fortresses last for many years? How do I tell how much/fast time passes? Is it feasible to have dwarves that live off the land or am I always best served to dig?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

chaosapiant posted:

Rimworld is fine, but it starts feeling very samey and empty after a while.

Also the complete randomness about what things you can do with buttons, and what you have to click on, annoys the hell out of me. I want to toggle everything with the keyboard!

For DF, CLA is the tileset I use, but just mess about with all of them and find one you like, I love it, but it drives my friend nuts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

Can't believe even with tutorials I'm only learning this now

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

Can't believe even with tutorials I'm only learning this now

Oh it gets better. Go Z-stocks and check which stone you have the most. Then use the work orders and d to detail all your stone furniture to that specific rock. *microcline door* to Every room. Also on a Workshop you can use shift P to set work orders for that specific workshop, in case you want 990 rock instruments for trade goods But dont want to clog Every craftdwarfs workshop.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hey guys so I had a little squad of goblins riding beak dogs show up at Hammerswallows looking for trouble. I had prepared for this eventuality by building an elevated barracks over my entry area and having my little squad of archer dwarves standing ready. I also had two cages full of wardogs ready to "release the hounds" but that is beside the point. When the invaders went around the corner and into crossbow range my squad of retards somehow extruded themselves through the fortification wall and drowned themselves in my moat. Can anyone explain WTF happened here?

As you can see the fort is surrounded by a moat and the barracks room, shown, has walls, fortifications on the east side overlooking the entrance to the fort, and (not shown) a roof. My archers were hanging out right beside the fortification wall and then seemed to step right through and fall into the water. Any ideas?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Turpitude posted:

Hey guys so I had a little squad of goblins riding beak dogs show up at Hammerswallows looking for trouble. I had prepared for this eventuality by building an elevated barracks over my entry area and having my little squad of archer dwarves standing ready. I also had two cages full of wardogs ready to "release the hounds" but that is beside the point. When the invaders went around the corner and into crossbow range my squad of retards somehow extruded themselves through the fortification wall and drowned themselves in my moat. Can anyone explain WTF happened here?

As you can see the fort is surrounded by a moat and the barracks room, shown, has walls, fortifications on the east side overlooking the entrance to the fort, and (not shown) a roof. My archers were hanging out right beside the fortification wall and then seemed to step right through and fall into the water. Any ideas?

Creatures can now jump through fortifications http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8160

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Well that explains it, though why the decided to do so I will never know.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is there something I can do to get the Outpost Liason to stop showing up? I want to leave my game on overnight so I turned off everything else which paused the game but his dialog is special and it halts the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Cappy posted:

Is there something I can do to get the Outpost Liason to stop showing up? I want to leave my game on overnight so I turned off everything else which paused the game but his dialog is special and it halts the game.

Wait for an outpost liaison to show up, then prevent him from leaving. This will at least delay the message, but he might eventually go insane or starve to death. If that's the case, consider turning him into a vampire.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How many of each item can be put into a stockpile “slot?” Like if I assign a 2x2 plot to be my wood stockpile, how much wood goes into each? Is it just one “unit” of each?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

chaosapiant posted:

How many of each item can be put into a stockpile “slot?” Like if I assign a 2x2 plot to be my wood stockpile, how much wood goes into each? Is it just one “unit” of each?

Yes.

This is why making bins/barrels is wise, although wood (and raw stone) can't be put into containers I don't think.

It's also why a lot of people swear by quantum stockpiles - using exploits to stack an infinite number of items in a single tile.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

One. There are two ways around this; one is to put items into containers, which have a set capacity, and isn't available for certain large items such as wood and stone. The other is quantum stockpiling, which is potentially infinite, and works on everything, but is a bit complex to set up properly.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So since every slot holds say one stone or wood, how do I know how much of each an item costs? Like does 1 table = 1 wood, 1 chair = 1 wood, etc?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

So since every slot holds say one stone or wood, how do I know how much of each an item costs? Like does 1 table = 1 wood, 1 chair = 1 wood, etc?

Look it up on the wiki. A lot of the time it's 1-to-1, but some small items are made in batches from a single piece of raw material, and some cost multiple parts or even have complex reactions with multiple inputs (like how steel is made.)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Making steel is another good topic to cover methinks

From Zero to Hero on steel

So to make steel you are going to need coke or charcoal. Charcoal is made at a wood furnace and the labor to construct and operate the building is under the 'farming/related' subgroup on a dwarve's labor menu under wood burning. Once enabled and provided with a furnace to work a dwarf will then make charcoal from wood at your order. This is one place where a manager providing work orders will shine because a workshop can be ordered to either repeat a task ten times or indefinitely meaning without one you can choose between having not enough charcoal or never having wood in your fort again. Alternatively you can mine for bituminous coal or lignite and refine it into coke at a smelter. Be aware when trading for either resource that if the resource has been processed into 'bars' it can not be used as fuel and also can't be converted back into its raw form.

Regardless of which resource you choose to make your fuel you will need a smelter to take raw metal or existing metal (goblin armor) and form them into bars. Bars are bad as a fuel resource but essential for making anything out of metal.

From here you will need a forge, this requires bringing an iron anvil. The good news is if you just hit 'embark now' when you picked your starting location you have an anvil already! This building will take the bars from your smelter and will also take processed coke or charcoal to work the metal into the final product you specify. Armor, weapons and gigantic spinning blades to stock your weapons traps are all popular choices.

Now let's look at the resource half of this equation. We need iron to make steel which you get from mining Hematite, Limonite and Magnetite. Limonite is yellow, Magnetite and Hematite are red. If you've ever wondered why your stone stockpile is filling up with all these weird colored asterisks and nobody is making stone doors with any of them it is because those items are metal bearing stones (aka raw metal) and the dwarves are trying to ensure you don't accidentally mess up your metal industry when doing early stone production. A good tip is to go into the settings for the stone stockpile feeding into your stone works and forbid the metal ores and economic stone. Likewise when you are constructing your smelters you want to have a nearby stockpile that only accepts metal ores and no other kind of stone. A stockpile for fuel is also considered necessary.

So let's assume you found some iron and are now using the smelter to smelt it into bars. From there you need to search your domain for any kind of 'flux' stone. These are Calcite, Chalk, Dolomite, Limestone and Marble. These are actually listed with Lignite and Bituminous Coal on the economic stone section of the stone stockpile settings along with a few less important stones. Once you have access to this flux preferably in a stockpile near your smelters you will be able to refine iron bars into pig iron bars by combining one unit of flux with one bar of iron. You need fuel at this step too. If you don't find any flux on the surface it is often beneficial to dig down deep and start checking the caves.**

Then the next step is to make steel bars by combining another bar of iron, pig iron, another unit of flux and more fuel which will result in a single bar of steel the wiki is telling me you get two bars of steel from this! Luckily so long as all the materials are available you don't need to worry about any of that because it generally feels pretty natural to just have tons of iron, pig iron and flux around so you don't really need to get into the particulars of exactly how much of any given item is required you can just say 'make me some steel bars' at the smelter.

From here you can work the bars at a metal smith into whatever your heart desires. One tip is to use some of those excess iron bars to make more anvils to make more forges.

**note people die in the caves bad things come out of the caves big spiders that you can capture and turn into pets live in the caves

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 4, 2019

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I just want to add something that isn't covered by the wiki or tutorials. An embark with iron deposits can be found by looking for places with above average rainfall, shallow metal and a river or lake. Thick woods and deep soil are great indicators. Basically, you're looking for swamps and places that used to be swamps in pre-history, where iron had enough time/water to precipitate.

(fans of the red planet will reach some rather inevitable conclusions here, since you need oxygen and liquid water to form hematite deposits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One last important note. If for whatever reason you are embarking into a biome with no trees you will need to make sure you bring a single unit of charcoal because you can not actually make coke from bituminous coal or lignite without a unit of fuel to begin with.