Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

yea absolutely

I dated somebody with PTSD from a history of physical abuse who kept a couple coloring books around and would work in them occasionally; I have no idea how much it actually helped or whatever but she said it did and given that she's a psych nurse who survives constant 12 hour shifts and being a single mom, I'll take her word for it against a bunch of chuds she's 100x tougher and more qualified than

Right-wing blowback against any sort of "soft" thing has always come from insecure men projecting their shame about feeling vulnerable onto minor aspects of other people's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Most of those men were also conscripted.

But the bigger point is soldiers aren't calling for wars, cowards with comfortable writing jobs are the ones calling for war. Still to this day, the most real life Chud person I ever spent any time with, nice enough, but completely MAGA 'hey black people watch me be offensive isn't it funny' energy all the time. Anyway constantly talked about doing manly things, his father took him hunting and he killed a bear, and learned to throw axes. One day we're on his supercharged jet ski at his parents lake side mtv cribs mansion and I'm on the back and the rear end in a top hat is showing off. We hit a wave we created and went tumbling, the jetski was upside down and we landed near it. The motherfucker started hyperventeling on me, like legtimiately I was more scared of him pulling me down than I was drowning, we had life jackets, we didn't hit the jetski, both breathing but this dude just won't calm down. I let him wrap around my back and he calmed down and was able to flip the jetski over.

Didn't say anything else about it, he never mentioned the manly bullshit too much after that around me. But I still remember that to this day, he later went on to gently caress me out of about $45k I had in storage. So ya gently caress that guy.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
immigrants are destroying the NHS, privatize it to save it imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

yea absolutely

I dated somebody with PTSD from a history of physical abuse who kept a couple coloring books around and would work in them occasionally; I have no idea how much it actually helped or whatever but she said it did and given that she's a psych nurse who survives constant 12 hour shifts and being a single mom, I'll take her word for it against a bunch of chuds she's 100x tougher and more qualified than

And the reason the guys didn' talk about this stuff is because of ideas of manliness were all "don't talk about stuff like that, be a man!" and then drown themselves in booze and smack their wives around.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anybody who's checked in to or been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital can tell you that coloring books are everywhere.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anybody who's checked in to or been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital can tell you that coloring books are everywhere.

so you're saying universities are like mental hospitals? :smug:

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

so you're saying universities are like mental hospitals? :smug:

I'm sure many people in academia have long considered this sincerely.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
they're both socially vital institutions that are tainted and diminished by capital :smug:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The best part of that Sweden tweet is ending it by stating "without us", which implies he's including himself in those past events.

I could likely beat Sweden's rear end with one hand tied behind my back while smoking a cigarette.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
rogans audience are rioting because he sucked off @jack for a few hours on his show :discourse:

their words

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Reclines Obesily posted:

rogans audience are rioting because he sucked off @jack for a few hours on his show :discourse:

wow, I'm sure that was a meeting of the minds

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

cargo cult posted:

immigrants are destroying the NHS, privatize it to save it imo

:ohno:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'd say this makes us even, tbqh

silence your terfs or we're exiling ben shapiro to the isles

no judgment on whether it's warranted, but dang that's a harsh threat, dude

cursing the UK to a whole generation of right-wing Borrowers, smh

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

yea absolutely

I deal with PTSD and while I don't use coloring books, I understand the appeal. The thing of it is, when you're triggered, it can be really, really difficult to break your mind out of the feedback loop of anxiety. There's a variety of techniques, and one is to do something that requires focus of both mind and body.

Coloring books require a continual focus to stay inside the lines and asks you to make repeated and frequent choices about which colors to use, which spot to color next, while also being safe and low key. It allows a cheap and easy way to break out of the feedback loop for a lot of people.

The basic idea is that being triggered isn't just remembering a bad event, it's also reliving it in a very visceral way via the body's autonomic systems. The trigger brings up a memory, which causes the body to react with various hormones, the hormones make you remember how your body felt, which brings up more memories, which cause more hormones, and I think you get the idea...

The coloring book breaks the cycle by pulling the brain out of the memory component and forcing you to focus on something else, and the physical act of manipulating the marker/colored pencil/crayon/whatever helps give the body something else to focus on other than being keyed up with anxiety.

Personally, I use games of solitaire, but the principle is the same.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

You've already dumped a bunch of your military here, we don't need any more of your fascists

lollll British people complaining about having someone else's troops hanging out in their country that's loving rich.
I forget, did we write permanent US military presence into your constitution or something? We didn't? Oh man, imagine that!

Grape has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Feb 3, 2019

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The best part of that Sweden tweet is ending it by stating "without us", which implies he's including himself in those past events.

I could likely beat Sweden's rear end with one hand tied behind my back while smoking a cigarette.

bring up slavery or white privilege and see how fast he backpedals on the "we did that" rhetoric.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

SwimmingSpider posted:

bring up slavery or white privilege and see how fast he backpedals on the "we did that" rhetoric.

i've seen tweets that completely seriously say white people should get credit for ending slavery

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

til there are armed left-wing militias.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/calzoner2/status/1091895417875427328

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've done art therapy classes with a crip who maxed out (did 30 years) for refusing to snitch.

Super super nice guy fyi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Neeerts/status/1091830446386757633?s=19

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
@jack sweats as he points gun at the two TPs as they sieg heil to prove they’re real

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/BrianneandMatt/status/1091479280582676480

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i don't understand british culture all that well, but if i don't these morons certainly don't either

ive been sorta going back and forth on this but i think they might have a shot? its not like the UK doesnt have lots and lots of extremely stupid rich racist kids who want to own the libs and hop on the grifting circuit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/burningrichmond/status/1091764562205073410

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

LordSaturn posted:

doesn't "black" mean something else over there? idk, maybe not. still not sure the American approach to race politics is going to go over much, British Racists aren't going to be alright with a well-behaved token, they want 'em all out

IIRC "black people" means white people with dark hair over there, or at least it did in the past.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shima Honnou posted:

IIRC "black people" means white people with dark hair over there, or at least it did in the past.

That's specifically "black Irish".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"We're here, we're gay, we fight the KKK" is an amazing chant

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i've seen tweets that completely seriously say white people should get credit for ending slavery

Like when Mark Wahlberg asked why he wasn't praised for all the women he didn't rape.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grape posted:

lollll British people complaining about having someone else's troops hanging out in their country that's loving rich.
I forget, did we write permanent US military presence into your constitution or something? We didn't? Oh man, imagine that!

Yes, we were the premier imperialists of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Who is it now? I forget

Yankee go home

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Morphix posted:

But the bigger point is soldiers aren't calling for wars, cowards with comfortable writing jobs are the ones calling for war.

I've met current and former soldiers who are genuinely itching to go to war and/or "protect our country from our enemies" (usually that means Muslims), saying things like "the yellow vests won't change things, it'll be us green/sand vests". They're also very much gun nuts and basically want Europe to be like the US, in regards to gun laws etc.

They'll also usually have the full chud like package on Facebook, including Trump, Le Pen, AFD, UKIP and Capitalism.

And of course they've never had any actual contact with Muslims or immigrants in general, other than maybe being stationed in the Middle East like one time, never leaving camp, and of course through right-wing media and social media filth.

I try to keep as far away as possible from people like that, but they're friends of friends (of friends), so it's not always possible.

KozmoNaut has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Feb 3, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KozmoNaut posted:

And of course they've never had any actual contact with Muslims or immigrants in general, other than maybe being stationed in the Middle East like one time, never leaving camp, and of course through right-wing media and social media filth.

They’ll have met and befriended one where they were stationed, and he is One Of The Good Ones

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
any former or current soldier that isnt incredibly conflicted about their role is pretty much trash not worth saving imho

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

KozmoNaut posted:

I've met current and former soldiers who are genuinely itching to go to war and/or "protect our country from our enemies" (usually that means Muslims), saying things like "the yellow vests won't change things, it'll be us green/sand vests". They're also very much gun nuts and basically want Europe to be like the US, in regards to gun laws etc.

Did they actually see any combat or are they just desk jockeys? Because I'm not gonna claim that certain soldiers don't get addicted to war, like Chris Hedges has wrote about, it's a drug like nothing else, life and death are so closely intertwined that normal life feels hollow and meainginless. The choices you make matter, life and death are literally on the line. Hard to go back to normal life for some people I've heard just from that standpoint.

But I think that's a tiny minoirity of the whole, the bigger section of soldiers who talk all this bullshit are the ones who wish they say action but didn't and feel ashamed about it. At least from the small selection of soldiers I've interacted with. But I also worked in a retirement facility through college and was friend with a lot of Korean and Vietnam vets, and I think that might of colored my experience a lot about thinking about war. Because the older generation certainly didn't want more of the poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/splcenter/status/1092060176834797570?s=19

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Morphix posted:

Did they actually see any combat or are they just desk jockeys?

Good question.

All the stories I've heard them tell involve loving around on base, standing on pointless patrol/checkpoint duty or similar poo poo. Either they don't have any actual combat stories, or they don't want to talk about them (which I also completely understand not wanting to talk about).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Rogan pushed back. “Everyone has a right to? But you still ban people. Like say, Alex Jones, you guys were the last guys to keep Alex Jones on the platform. You were the last ones. I believe it wasn’t until he started harassing you personally.”

“No,” Dorsey said. “[Jones] did very different things on our platform than others. We saw this domino effect over a weekend of one platform banning him, and then another, and then another, and another, in very, very quick succession, and people might have assumed that we would just follow suit, but he didn’t violate our terms of service. Afterwards, he did.”

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

gschmidl posted:

That's specifically "black Irish".

'Black Irish' is a near unknown term in both the UK and Republic of Ireland.

I grew up in the part of Ireland they're supposedly from, and the first time I ever heard it was watching Oz on the telly.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

'Black people' in the UK means exactly the same thing as the US.

Asian OTOH..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dekko
May 23, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

ive been sorta going back and forth on this but i think they might have a shot? its not like the UK doesnt have lots and lots of extremely stupid rich racist kids who want to own the libs and hop on the grifting circuit

Honestly, I doubt this will catch on beyond a few extremely online weirdos and student politics types - the references they've made so far are still fairly obscure to most people (claiming that the cultural marxists are using soy to make us leftie ladymen is gonna peg you as a loving oddball). More to the point though, most of the stuff produced so far is basically a cut and paste of their US rhetoric with a few references changed, it seems really off.

That said, if they get a few more british people to start crafting their message and they keep all that sweet right wing dark money flowing in, who knows....