Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Victory Position posted:

have you found the Old Wolf of Farron? if not, check the giant tower in the middle of Farron Keep swamp and look around the bridge above the tower for a bit; you'll find Lightning Spear there, along with an old friend. A Stray Demon!!

Is that the place where you can see a crystal lizard behind a locked door? I keep meaning to go back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is there any chance I could get someone here to drop a Wolf Knight armor set for me? I'm doing a fashion souls run, and don't really want to wait for the bloody endgame to have my armour

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Is that the place where you can see a crystal lizard behind a locked door? I keep meaning to go back there.

Nope. It's the same zone at least, but a different part.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The tower is in the poison swamp part of farron. There's a bunch of slugs staring at the ladder IIRC.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SHISHKABOB posted:

The tower is in the poison swamp part of farron. There's a bunch of slugs staring at the ladder IIRC.

Oh that part. Ugh, that place is the worst. Though at SL 120 and a +5 moonlight greatsword i should be able to plow through it easy enough.

Okay, worst enemies in the game, the hand monsters in the Profaned Capital, the blood licker like women, or the crabs?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, worst enemies in the game, the hand monsters in the Profaned Capital, the blood licker like women, or the crabs?

The Elder Ghru, the big fuckoff dudes in Farron swamp that use trees as their weapons. The hand monsters are just big sacks of health and the crabs stagger pretty easy.

Sullyvan's beasts are also gigantic fucks, particularly for first time/returning players.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 3, 2019

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

berenzen posted:

The Elder Ghru, the big fuckoff dudes in Farron swamp that use trees as their weapons. The hand monsters are just big sacks of health and the crabs stagger pretty easy.

Sullyvan's beasts are also gigantic fucks, particularly for first time/returning players.

Elder Ghru are like the Titanite Demons of DS3. Fighting them in the sludge you find them in suuuuuuuuuuucks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Oh that part. Ugh, that place is the worst. Though at SL 120 and a +5 moonlight greatsword i should be able to plow through it easy enough.

Who are the blood licker women?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I meant grossest/distbring enemies, but yea the elder ghru are motherfuckers. Especially if you end up against the group of 3.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Who are the blood licker women?

I looked it up and they're actually called Sewer Centipedes.

So I found Yorshaka but how do I join her Convent?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 3, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Perform the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture in front of her.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
If it doesn't prompt you automatically then you need to learn the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture from Sirris, after you turn in Dreamchaser's Ashes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Promethium posted:

If it doesn't prompt you automatically then you need to learn the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture from Sirris, after you turn in Dreamchaser's Ashes.

Okay, gonna have to find out where that is.

Oh she's the lady I pissed off by joining Rosaria's covenant.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got on my sl 100 pyro. He looks like he's made of beef jerky, or maybe wet cigars. He wears a dress and has a stick. He shoots gooey black blobs without pause. Sometimes he waves a sword or baby rattle around. This guy is the lord of londor? gently caress.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

vandalism posted:

I got on my sl 100 pyro. He looks like he's made of beef jerky, or maybe wet cigars. He wears a dress and has a stick. He shoots gooey black blobs without pause. Sometimes he waves a sword or baby rattle around. This guy is the lord of londor? gently caress.

Sounds about right. Long live the king.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

And Tyler Too! posted:

Sounds about right. Long live the king.

I'm looking at my locked achievements and it turns out I haven't collected every sorcery, miracle, pyro, etc. Also I haven't learned all gestures somehow. drat. I know the all rings one requires multiple playthroughs on NG+ and I haven't had the balls to do NG+. Is it fun or good?

I started a new guy today and wanna maybe do a bleed build or something like that. Something weird that i haven't done. I've done a standard k***ht, sorcery, pyro. I wanna do some weird poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
NG+ is not good but it’s not terribly hard either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, didn't take that much effort to kill the Twin Princes, lets go to the Ringed City before going to the final boss.

This is basically what happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhID9BMzf0

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I meant grossest/distbring enemies, but yea the elder ghru are motherfuckers. Especially if you end up against the group of 3.

I looked it up and they're actually called Sewer Centipedes.

So I found Yorshaka but how do I join her Convent?

Oh yeah they are terrifying. The giant hand babies definitely take the cake.

I also really like the big spider monster things. The one in the rafters before Aldrich (plus the one in the cathedral).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh yeah they are terrifying. The giant hand babies definitely take the cake.

I also really like the big spider monster things. The one in the rafters before Aldrich (plus the one in the cathedral).

Yea, they're pretty up there too. They're like...spider dog things. Also the Pus of Humanity but made out of maggots is pretty brutal too, though once I found out that fire fucks them up, they became slightly less scary. I do like when you hit someone with fire they do a little wiggle while they're on fire.

I ended up just running through most of the Dreg Heap, it wouldn't be so insane if there wasn't those Angels shooting at you constantly. Even if you manage to shoot one down I found that they just respawn I saw. I think I ran until the sexy lady pryo from DS2 was there. Though at one point I just randomly died from being cursed. There wasn't a curse meter moving up or anything, just suddenly, bam! Cursed!

I feel like I missed something in the grand archives. I could have sworn i saw a giant cage in videos, but I went everywhere and didn't find anything. Also is the wax thing just a neat trick, or does it actually do something?

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

twistedmentat posted:

Also is the wax thing just a neat trick, or does it actually do something?

The wax makes you immune to the grabby hands that come out of the bookcases! :eng101:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ziddar posted:

The wax makes you immune to the grabby hands that come out of the bookcases! :eng101:

Ooh that's why I only got a little cursed when running through the archives.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ziddar posted:

This is frustratingly unclear. They should've made the grabby hands not appear altogether while you have a waxed head.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, they're pretty up there too. They're like...spider dog things. Also the Pus of Humanity but made out of maggots is pretty brutal too, though once I found out that fire fucks them up, they became slightly less scary. I do like when you hit someone with fire they do a little wiggle while they're on fire.

I ended up just running through most of the Dreg Heap, it wouldn't be so insane if there wasn't those Angels shooting at you constantly. Even if you manage to shoot one down I found that they just respawn I saw. I think I ran until the sexy lady pryo from DS2 was there. Though at one point I just randomly died from being cursed. There wasn't a curse meter moving up or anything, just suddenly, bam! Cursed!

I feel like I missed something in the grand archives. I could have sworn i saw a giant cage in videos, but I went everywhere and didn't find anything. Also is the wax thing just a neat trick, or does it actually do something?

One or two of the angels have an irritating area effect curse attack. If you see little sparkly bits pop up around you, run. It is quite dangerous if your armor is not good for curse resist.

The Archive cage is all the way at the top, near the triple winged knight battle.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

vandalism posted:

I'm looking at my locked achievements and it turns out I haven't collected every sorcery, miracle, pyro, etc. Also I haven't learned all gestures somehow. drat. I know the all rings one requires multiple playthroughs on NG+ and I haven't had the balls to do NG+. Is it fun or good?

I started a new guy today and wanna maybe do a bleed build or something like that. Something weird that i haven't done. I've done a standard k***ht, sorcery, pyro. I wanna do some weird poo poo.

IMO NG+ is when the real fun starts because now you've got all your toys ready to go and another crack at some slabs for +10-ing some fresh new weapons.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
In November of 2018 I started playing the souls games for the first time. I started with Dark Souls Remastered and then Demons Souls, played through Dark Souls 2 and then Bloodborne. Just finished that last night and I’ve begun Dark Souls 3.

Fuuuuuuuuck the tutorial boss. Seriously. Fuuuuuuck. I’m not bad at these games. Aside from the bullshit “get everything” trophies I’ve practically platinumed bloodborne and I have always gone through all of the bosses. I’m not great at parrying but I can do it sometimes. I play with a somewhat aggressive style of light armor and a giant sword in both hands without a shield and do pretty well but holy poo poo this guy seems impossible and makes me feel like a complete noob the way the asylum demon did in Dark Souls.

I did beat him before bed last night so this is just venting but it took me an hour and 6 minutes from game-start to lighting his bonfire (I was practicing parrying against the dudes in the tutorial area for a while but didn’t end up having much success with it on the boss so part of that time was spent doing that) which is longer than it took me to beat gascgoine and the asylum demon combined (the two most challenging bosses for me in the series)

I mean, part of the problem is probably my starting class, I picked “Assassin” since it was a good base to work from with my play style even though the starting equipment doesn’t match my style.

Even though it sounds like I’m complaining a lot I’m really looking forward to the rest of the game so in NG+ I can come wipe my rear end with this noob ganking dickhead.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Don’t worry, you won’t have to wait that long

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, gonna have to find out where that is.

Oh she's the lady I pissed off by joining Rosaria's covenant.

Yea just get it in NG+. Just make sure you finish Sirris’s quest line before joining Rosaria’s covenant or respeccing.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Carl Seitan posted:

Yea just get it in NG+. Just make sure you finish Sirris’s quest line before joining Rosaria’s covenant or respeccing.

The trigger is actually offering a Pale Tongue to Rosaria for gaining rank in the covenant.

You can join, invade as a finger, respec and change appearance no problem. And alt-f4-ing out after respec (and it saved, lil flame) but before closing the menu still retains your tongue + amount of respecs left.

Just don't offer a tongue for rank before finishing Sirris line.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

DS3 is really fun imo and Gundyr is my friend. Knight and Merc totally make mincemeat out of him but Assassin is not too bad either. Keep rollin rollin rollin

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You don't even have to roll most of the time, just strafe counter-clockwise and his halberd will go right over your head.

Second phase can be tough but the hardest part is just figuring out where the hurtbox is. You can still just strafe around him and roll or move away when he does the jump.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 3, 2019

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, sticking to a bosses rear end like glue while strafing is still surprisingly solid.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It took me more than 30 tries, but i finally managed to beat Dancer again on my lvl 28/+3 invader type guy. Had to reallocate to 20 int for chaos bed vestige so i could pelt the fucker in his combo wombo phase but it worked.

The swamp is still filled with all sorts of ganksquads, shrek cosplayers, naked duelists, friendly madmen and swamp police. Good times.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Where do I find the ring that lets you move through swamps unimpeded?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Where do I find the ring that lets you move through swamps unimpeded?

Sadly the rusty iron ring isn't in DS3. Grab a dagger and spam the weapon art, it's the only way to make that part slightly tolerable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't even have to roll most of the time, just strafe counter-clockwise and his halberd will go right over your head.

Second phase can be tough but the hardest part is just figuring out where the hurtbox is. You can still just strafe around him and roll or move away when he does the jump.

Yeah I could manage to get to the second phase without getting hit by just going counter clockwise and poking him when he slowed down but that second phase was hard because when an enemy gets a giant growth like that the instinct is to jump back and go “whoa get that poo poo away from me” and jumping away from it was the problem. I finally beat him by just staying in there, dodging wildly and doing a bunch of small pokes. I forgot I had firebombs but I guess the plus side of that is that I have some firebombs now.

I hate this weapon and can’t wait until I have an ultra great sword again.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

And Tyler Too! posted:

Sadly the rusty iron ring isn't in DS3. Grab a dagger and spam the weapon art, it's the only way to make that part slightly tolerable.

Oh that's smart. I kept waiting to find the rusty iron ring, only for it to no-show.

Hmm.. would a spear charge work faster? Or the crossbow tackle?

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 4, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always found the swamp in ds3 to not be that bad, but i might be weird. my main issue is with a couple of the enemies, if anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's rougher than DS swamp cause it's got a decent number of scary enemies. The feral ghru with the jump grab are the worst. The DS swamp just has the dung boulder guys, the slugs, the fire breathing bug things and the mosquitoes. None of them very scary. Also a lot easier to see where you're going.

DS3 swamp seems bigger and has a lot more going on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ds3 swamp is rougher because you have to hit the 3 torch locations and the layout is more ambiguous+your sight is more obstructed by all the terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

War Wizard posted:

Oh that's smart. I kept waiting to find the rusty iron ring, only for it to no-show.

Hmm.. would a spear charge work faster? Or the crossbow tackle?

The dagger WA has the fastest start up and recovery.

The trick to the swamp is to follow the fires placed around the map. Also everything is weak to fire and can be kited into the flames.