Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Are Trusts all or nothing, or could I e.g. do a dungeon with one friend and two Trusts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, it'll be curious to see how they handle Ashe. Given that Dalmasca had fallen something like 25-30 years ago, someone mentions that if Ashe B'nargin Dalmasca is still living, she'd be much older. But then during Orbonne's quest, Fran says that the princess is very inexperienced and naive, which isn't really a trait that someone important in her 50's or 60's would generally be stuck with in a game like this. I'm curious to see what kind of shenanigans they'll have in place to have a reason to make her still look like she's in her 20's.

Matsuno had also planned to have Balthier involved in Orbonne's quest as well, but he didn't show up. But in the end Matsuno said something along the lines of, "well, he didn't show up here, but..."

IIRC, Dalmasca was conquered ages ago but they rebelled along with many others after Doma's liberation and got their poo poo kicked in, and that's what led to the current state of things. Similar things to FFXII's start happen and as far as anybody knows Ashe died/killed herself.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I didn't like 12 back when it released, and if the Ivalice Raid's story was any indication, I have even less hope to be entertained in SB2 with Dalmasca stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Omega is the only 24 man that had major Main story connections. the first two legs being dream matches don't invalidate all the stuff with omega and Middy and learning more about their origins.

Omega was an 8 mans, but I also liked Omega since it brought back a bunch of old characters, expanded on some lore questions I had, and was probably my favorite appearence of Omega. Seeing the origins of Middy was also pretty cool since I never really expected them to really use him much again, and the the whole final tier was really good.

I am excited to see the Ishgard Restoration though. I'm guessing it will be an expansion on the Doman Restoration idea, possibly in the vein of giving Crafters/Gatherers another source of exp aside from Beast Tribes? I thought it was code for more housing but it seems to be wholly seperate from that. If it's storywise post-Dragonsong war, we probably could see some integration of dragons living there like was implied to eventually happen in the epilogue questline there was.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, it'll be curious to see how they handle Ashe. Given that Dalmasca had fallen something like 25-30 years ago, someone mentions that if Ashe B'nargin Dalmasca is still living, she'd be much older. But then during Orbonne's quest, Fran says that the princess is very inexperienced and naive, which isn't really a trait that someone important in her 50's or 60's would generally be stuck with in a game like this. I'm curious to see what kind of shenanigans they'll have in place to have a reason to make her still look like she's in her 20's.

Matsuno had also planned to have Balthier involved in Orbonne's quest as well, but he didn't show up. But in the end Matsuno said something along the lines of, "well, he didn't show up here, but..."

Ashe is dead. They've explicitly said so.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

Ashe is dead. They've explicitly said so.

Except Fran is taking orders from "the princess".

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blockhouse posted:

It's never stated that is Ashe.

It has explicitly been stated that Ashe died.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, but in a way that's just "here's public knowledge about what happened in Rabanastre"

Like maybe she's dead but I would be anti-shocked if it was a body double or something

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Also IIRC there's lore that says that nobody has ever actually successfully primalized the Twelve even though you'd think that it would be much easier considering the number of believers they have.

The most reasonable explanation is that it'd simply take an absolutely ridiculous amount of aether to materialize them due to their prominence.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Don't listen to Ondore's lies!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Ferrinus posted:

Are Trusts all or nothing, or could I e.g. do a dungeon with one friend and two Trusts?

We don't know / probably not, there is no reason to assume it'll be any different than Squads to my knowledge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Don't listen to Ondore's lies!
I'm Princess Ashe from Dalmasca!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

Also IIRC there's lore that says that nobody has ever actually successfully primalized the Twelve even though you'd think that it would be much easier considering the number of believers they have.

Ivalice does too or so it seems. A lot of what gets reffed in Ivalice seems to be coming into play in Shadowbringers. We're probably going to see Ashe for example.

And before someone goes "See, that's freaking terrible, I hate crossovers", I'd like to point out that we literally spent the last expansion helping a dude from FF6 save a place from FF6.

Hien is a character who is dead in FF6. Doma in FF14 has almost no similarity to FF6 Doma. That’s kind of the point. Crystal Tower and Doma are homages that work into the game world in such a way that you would never need to know they’re homages to appreciate them.

Meanwhile Omega and Ivalice lean entirely on throwing raw undiluted nostalgia at you and yelling “remember these things you liked”. Stormblood has done way way too much of that. It might have been okay more spaced out but doing Ivalice and Omega back to back is just tiresome.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Blockhouse posted:

Bold idea: maybe "the princess" had a daughter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Except it was also explicitly stated that Ashe died in FF12 and it turns out to be a lie.

""Prayer, too, for the noble Princess Ashe, who, wrought with grief at her kingdom's defeat, has taken her own life."

"Know also that Captain Basch for Ronsenburg, for incitement of sedition and the assassination of H.R.M. King Raminas, has been found guilty of high treason and put to this death. "

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hien is a character who is dead in FF6. Doma in FF14 has almost no similarity to FF6 Doma. That’s kind of the point. Crystal Tower and Doma are homages that work into the game world in such a way that you would never need to know they’re homages to appreciate them.

Meanwhile Omega and Ivalice lean entirely on throwing raw undiluted nostalgia at you and yelling “remember these things you liked”. Stormblood has done way way too much of that. It might have been okay more spaced out but doing Ivalice and Omega back to back is just tiresome.

Ivalice is built into the setting though, same as Doma. It isn't Omega-style "this is a fake thing." It's part of the setting and was mentioned even before the raids started. (Well, Rabanastre was.) It also isn't identical considering, among other things, Fran is working as the leader of the Resistance and not being Chewbacca In Lingerie. It is almost exactly like Doma as far as we know, a take on an existing story in the FF lore.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 3, 2019

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

In TYOOL 2019, only having cheesecake is unacceptable. There must needs be male Viera.

Ither fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 3, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

Except it was also explicitly stated that Ashe died in FF12 and it turns out to be a lie.

""Prayer, too, for the noble Princess Ashe, who, wrought with grief at her kingdom's defeat, has taken her own life."

"Know also that Captain Basch for Ronsenburg, for incitement of sedition and the assassination of H.R.M. King Raminas, has been found guilty of high treason and put to this death. "

Ivalice is built into the setting though, same as Doma. It isn't Omega-style "this is a fake thing." It's part of the setting and was mentioned even before the raids started. (Well, Rabanastre was.) It also isn't identical considering, among other things, Fran is working as the leader of the Resistance and not being Chewbacca In Lingerie. It is almost exactly like Doma as far as we know, a take on an existing story in the FF lore.

No, it isn't. Ivalice in setting is just a word for word retelling of FFT drat near, and with a clumsy amount of exposition no less. Doma in FF14 isn't a single castle town that gets poisoned and genocided now is it? These are two very different approaches to referencing old Final Fantasies and I think you know that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ither posted:

In TYOOL 2019, only having cheesecake is unacceptable. There must needs be male Viera.

https://twitter.com/anhyuwu/status/1083280671764873216?s=19

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Will New Game+ only do MSQ?

Or can I do some of the Job/Craft Quests as well? You can watch some of the scenes on Unending Journey, but not all of them. I didn't want to deal with Lancer hell of three buttons and boosted, and I kind of regretted not getting to see the build-up with Estinian or being the hot new poo poo teacher in Ishgard.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The Ivalice plot feels like shoehorned in FFT fanfiction. It doesn't feel built into the setting at all like Doma or any other FF reference. It manages to feel less authentically part of the story than Omega which is just "Here are bosses from other games"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
IIRC they mentioned class quests being a thing, specifically in regards to replaying stuff you level-skipped.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
To go back to what the thread was talking about earlier with how strapped for time and resources they were during ARR's development:

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1091678565043761152

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm leveling up all the melee classes right now. Which have class quests worth paying attention to? Which should I turn music on for :unsmigghh:?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm leveling up all the melee classes right now. Which have class quests worth paying attention to? Which should I turn music on for :unsmigghh:?

Samurai, at least until you actually get to Kugane.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Captain Cappy posted:

Are you leveling them all up from 1-70, or 50/60-70?

If you strictly mean class quests, PUG should always be done for Hamon Holyfist. MNK is kind of ehh, but the 50 fight was worth it.

If you mean the later levels, DRG 60-70 was really cute, SAM has a good if common story for 50-60 that I liked (60-70 wasn't too interssting to me asode from learning Kugane has samurai police).

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

They're all at 30 now so I guess job quests. Rogue was good, Pug was good, Lancer/Dragoon seemed lackluster, and I'm gonna leave Sam until I hit 50.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im glad droopy ears are an option for Viera but I would have liked even droopier ones

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

To go back to what the thread was talking about earlier with how strapped for time and resources they were during ARR's development:

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1091678565043761152

Crap I forgot about this stream and there's no vod of it yet :rip:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hey guys, it’s been quite a while since I played but I saw the they will have a Nier raid and it’s tempted me to come back. I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

If any of you have done the same, was it hard to relearn everything after an extended time off? I was playing Scholar main but I remember when I quit I was leveling up dark knight and dragoon and had got to like 30 or 40 in those classes as well as some others like white mage. I haven’t played a skill bar based game since then so I’m a little worried that I will have forgotten everything and feel like I have to start a new class to relearn it.

I assume the answer will be yes but will I have people to party with going through Heavensward content? I forget how far into the expansion I got before quitting (might not have gotten very far) but I think my scholar was mid 50s or early 60s. Are queue times absurdly long? I remember the wait times leveling up my Dragoon were already pretty long back when I was playing.

Lastly is there room in the guild still or is it filled up? I don’t even remember if there are player caps for guilds in this game.

I wish they had a free period for return players. I would have already installed it to just check all of this out myself but if I’m going to pay, login and immediately find out that I’m having some issue that makes me not want to play then I’d be regretting the three cups of coffee I could have spent my money on.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

Countblanc posted:

for comparison, the male version

Warrior of Dandiness

This is pretty drat swish

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

rio posted:

Hey guys, it’s been quite a while since I played but I saw the they will have a Nier raid and it’s tempted me to come back. I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

If any of you have done the same, was it hard to relearn everything after an extended time off? I was playing Scholar main but I remember when I quit I was leveling up dark knight and dragoon and had got to like 30 or 40 in those classes as well as some others like white mage. I haven’t played a skill bar based game since then so I’m a little worried that I will have forgotten everything and feel like I have to start a new class to relearn it.

I assume the answer will be yes but will I have people to party with going through Heavensward content? I forget how far into the expansion I got before quitting (might not have gotten very far) but I think my scholar was mid 50s or early 60s. Are queue times absurdly long? I remember the wait times leveling up my Dragoon were already pretty long back when I was playing.

Lastly is there room in the guild still or is it filled up? I don’t even remember if there are player caps for guilds in this game.

I wish they had a free period for return players. I would have already installed it to just check all of this out myself but if I’m going to pay, login and immediately find out that I’m having some issue that makes me not want to play then I’d be regretting the three cups of coffee I could have spent my money on.

1) It's a little challenging, but they've added opportunities for you to practice your skills without needing to worry about letting other people down - the main cities have The Hall of the Novice, and there are always training dummies scattered around.

2) You'll have people, but DPS queue times will still be long. Healer/Tank are fine.

4) There are free return periods occasionally!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rio posted:

They do free weekends occasionally although they haven't mentioned any recently.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Everyone's missed the real big question for the Nier Raid:

Can we get TDI to play an MMO?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, it isn't. Ivalice in setting is just a word for word retelling of FFT drat near, and with a clumsy amount of exposition no less. Doma in FF14 isn't a single castle town that gets poisoned and genocided now is it? These are two very different approaches to referencing old Final Fantasies and I think you know that.

But... it isn't? It explicitly is different in a lot of places, not in the least because it's melding FF12 and FFT's plots together.

Both Doma and Ivalice serve as "what if" sequels to the games they are homaging, built into the FFXIV universe after a bad ending. Ivalice involves following the plot of a FFT cast who lost and had to seal themselves away and Doma involves one where Cyan died but his son didn't. I'm genuinely and honestly not seeing the difference between the two.

Like in FF12 Ba'gamnan is a mercenary dude who is basically Team Rocket. In FFXIV he's the former servant of the royal family who is desperate for revenge and turns into a superbeast who you kill. "Word for Word" it isn't.

Edit: Like honestly, I'm really not seeing the difference between this and Crystal Tower. Crystal Tower reimagines the plot of FF3 but Allegs it up. Ivalice does the same for FFT/12 but Garleans it up instead, right down to one of the Judges showing up at the end explicitly working as member of the Garlean empire who already had FF12 Judge aesthetics built in. Rabanastre is an existing place in the world and we're given lore on its history and backstory.

It also isn't new. Dalmasca was mentioned multiple times before the raid. The first lore book mentions it for example. It isn't like they shoehorned it in and whatnot. It's literally been an established part of the Lore since before SB.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 3, 2019

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Gunblade → Gunbreaker → GunBuster?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gunbuster!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jigokuman posted:

Gunblade → Gunbreaker → GunBuster?

No, it's Gunblade -> Gunblade X -> Gunblade 2.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Like honestly, I'm really not seeing the difference between this and Crystal Tower. Crystal Tower reimagines the plot of FF3 but Allegs it up. Ivalice does the same for FFT/12 but Garleans it up instead, right down to one of the Judges showing up at the end explicitly working as member of the Garlean empire who already had FF12 Judge aesthetics built in. Rabanastre is an existing place in the world and we're given lore on its history and backstory.

It also isn't new. Dalmasca was mentioned multiple times before the raid. The first lore book mentions it for example. It isn't like they shoehorned it in and whatnot. It's literally been an established part of the Lore since before SB.

The primary difference between Crystal Tower and the Ivalice raids is that we haven't seen Dalmasca before we actually went there like with Crystal Tower. That's pretty much it. It's popped up as a mention in a few places beforehand compared to being a big ol' chunk of scenery that looks pretty at night.

Omega is a genuine case of the 'putting in content for the sake of appealing to fans' bit because of how little work there is to tie it into FFXIV. Ivalice has had that work put into it. There might not be tons of work put in to mesh it into the story, but it's about the same amount as Crystal Tower and, more importantly, more work than a simple 'it's all a simulation this antagonist put together because it's a dumb robot' explanation.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Can't believe that Caim is gonna manage to gently caress up even more worlds lol

XIV universe is lucky that the white chlorination syndrome is gone as of the Automata timeline

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression the Princess Fran referred to was the ruler of the viera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

The primary difference between Crystal Tower and the Ivalice raids is that we haven't seen Dalmasca before we actually went there like with Crystal Tower. That's pretty much it. It's popped up as a mention in a few places beforehand compared to being a big ol' chunk of scenery that looks pretty at night.

Omega is a genuine case of the 'putting in content for the sake of appealing to fans' bit because of how little work there is to tie it into FFXIV. Ivalice has had that work put into it. There might not be tons of work put in to mesh it into the story, but it's about the same amount as Crystal Tower and, more importantly, more work than a simple 'it's all a simulation this antagonist put together because it's a dumb robot' explanation.

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing with Omega. They just sort of go "IT WAS A LEGEND OF HEROES, shut up" even if it makes no sense. That was pure fanservice through and through and aside from a hair bit of stuff about Midgarsormr it was just an excuse to have FF dudes fight you.