Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing dragging the whole KH franchise down is that the various Disney things tend to be hermetically sealed, apart from Donald and Goofy and Mickey and so on. Like, you go to the Aladdin world, you play out the plot of Aladdin, then you leave. You go to the Hundred Acre Wood and do some stuff with Pooh Bear, they don't mix things up much. I suspect this is Disney looking over their shoulder, but the result is that the writers mostly just keep the Disney stuff in that box and thus fill most of the plot with the OCs, so your enjoyment of the series really hinges on just how interested you are in the machinations of the Heartless and the Memory Palace and whatever the gently caress it is these games are about.

Yeah, and it's really bad considering most movies that you go to had an animated TV series with like 60 episodes too. Hercules, Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, The Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, if you wanna stretch it. Not really any reason that you have to go to jungle planet and slide a few lines in for the new kid during the ongoing production of Tarzan instead of coming up with something different. Aside from marketing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

Very conspicuously absent from the opening cinematic is even a single Final Fantasy character.

I've heard that they were a lot more constrained by Disney with KH3 than previous games. It explains why you almost only get worlds about Hot Disney Properties rather than classics or weird deep cuts (the only exceptions being Olympus and the 100 Acre Wood, which are sidequest staples for the series), but it might also explain why Square's own properties are so thin on the ground; either they're not letting them take the spotlight away, or Disney mandates combined with the 'climax of the story' plot focus means they just don't get the room to flex that.

...Thing dragging me down about Kingdom Hearts: I am consciously aware these games suck, I have very little positive to say about them that isn't about singular bits of aesthetic (not even the whole thing, just 'I like X enemy', 'that move's cool', 'this world looks nice') but every time I talk about one I just want to play it.I don't get that about any other games, but something about it is appealing even when it sucks. The only reason I haven't started playing one of them because the one that stood out was Birth By Sleep--because if I'm gonna play these dumb games, I might as well try the dumbest for the first time--and I don't entirely know how I would.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

the 100 Acre Wood
Even that pretty much counts since there have been two Winnie the Pooh movies released since KH3 started development.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I've heard that they were a lot more constrained by Disney with KH3 than previous games. It explains why you almost only get worlds about Hot Disney Properties rather than classics or weird deep cuts (the only exceptions being Olympus and the 100 Acre Wood, which are sidequest staples for the series), but it might also explain why Square's own properties are so thin on the ground; either they're not letting them take the spotlight away, or Disney mandates combined with the 'climax of the story' plot focus means they just don't get the room to flex that.

...Thing dragging me down about Kingdom Hearts: I am consciously aware these games suck, I have very little positive to say about them that isn't about singular bits of aesthetic (not even the whole thing, just 'I like X enemy', 'that move's cool', 'this world looks nice') but every time I talk about one I just want to play it.I don't get that about any other games, but something about it is appealing even when it sucks. The only reason I haven't started playing one of them because the one that stood out was Birth By Sleep--because if I'm gonna play these dumb games, I might as well try the dumbest for the first time--and I don't entirely know how I would.

You buy the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix or any of the bundles that contains that collection because you get KH2 and BBS and the cutscenes from RE:Coded

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Party RPGs like DAO and DOS 2 where they provide options for customization, but still feel the need to toss abilities, stats and social skills onto them based on your level. Thanks
DOS 2 for dumping 3 points on barter on both Lohse and Ifan. Thanks DAO for making it sub optimal to have Alistair with dual wielding. Sure I can go that route if I want to making 3 ability points obsolete... either give me full customization or lock the characters into a role. At least in DOS you got a mirror to completely change characters, but that poo poo would not be necessary if I could customize them how I want from the get go.

Midig has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Feb 2, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regarding Final Fantasy Characters in KH3 For the record other than a flashback cutscene explaining the story of one world there are only moogles and a cactuar. They purposefully removed them all and have no plans to ever put them back in because the developer thinks FF crosovers are tired out

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Midig posted:

Thanks DAO for making it sub optimal to have Alistair with dual wielding. Sure I can go that route if I want to making 3 ability points obsolete... either give me full customization or lock the characters into a role.

There’s a respec mod for DAO that lets you completely reroll the characters (though they stay class locked).

It’s not really an excuse for it, but at least you can bypass the problem.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im hesitant to get kh3 cause even though i remember loving the poo poo out of the combat in the first 2, i thought the disney mashup stuff was really cheesy and kind of wished they had just tossed a bunch of original rando anime zipper guys in place of the disney stuff. also that part in 2 where you have to do a whole song in the little mermaid world :frogsiren:

eh, ill probably get in when its on sale in a few months

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ASenileAnimal posted:

im hesitant to get kh3 cause even though i remember loving the poo poo out of the combat in the first 2, i thought the disney mashup stuff was really cheesy and kind of wished they had just tossed a bunch of original rando anime zipper guys in place of the disney stuff. also that part in 2 where you have to do a whole song in the little mermaid world :frogsiren:

eh, ill probably get in when its on sale in a few months

Boy howdy are there random zipper guys now!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Gerblyn posted:

There’s a respec mod for DAO that lets you completely reroll the characters (though they stay class locked).

It’s not really an excuse for it, but at least you can bypass the problem.

I have a finished modded install for Morrowind, I have plans for Oblivion (once it has MO2 supprt. I got an everlasting project for Skyrim. A few mods for DOS2 (bag manager, mirror at act 1, free pet pal talent, shared barter and persuation). However last time I tried to mod DAO I found it both tedious, lacking in info and options. Yet I probably want this along with bux fixes. I just wish games actually fixed their bugs. At least fix the easy and obvious ones such as spell descriptions that lie about dealing nature damage when it actually deals spirit. I wish some companies gave out promises to fix bugs in the long term and not just the first year to not scare people off. Then I would feel less bad about pre ordering it.

Midig has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Feb 2, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man tyranny does not do a good job of explaining its mechanics. For instance, it has an option where if you click a skill you stop gaining exp for the skill, but doesnt tell you that's what it does, or why you'd want to do that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does kh3 try to do a good job to inform people who have never played the games about the plot or

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Calaveron posted:

Does kh3 try to do a good job to inform people who have never played the games about the plot or

It does have a recap feature and a lot of the cutscenes are filled with exposition but honestly you'll be just as lost even if you played every one a month ago.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Midig posted:

However last time I tried to mod DAO I found it both tedious, lacking in info and options. Yet I probably want this along with bux fixes.

I did the respec mod years ago, and it was very easy, literally just copying a couple of files into a folder.

As for the rest, there were some articles a week or two back about some combined fixes mod which (hopefully) simplifies the whole thing:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/21/dragon-age-origins-bug-fix-mod-and-other-essentials/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tunicate posted:

Man tyranny does not do a good job of explaining its mechanics. For instance, it has an option where if you click a skill you stop gaining exp for the skill, but doesnt tell you that's what it does, or why you'd want to do that.

Luckily there’s a guy on the first Spire that allows you to respec over and over again. It costs you some currency to hire him, but respecs will costs nothing. Useful if you suddenly want to swap to a different talent tree.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Does KH3 still have Square characters or Final Fantasy worlds in it? I haven't seen them in any screenshots.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Does KH3 still have Square characters or Final Fantasy worlds in it? I haven't seen them in any screenshots.

no, they finally stopped getting people's hopes up by pretending square characters would ever be relevant

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are moogles and a cactuar made out of toy blocks. That's it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The moogles are shop NPCs, the cactuar is a platform. That's all you get.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

With respec mod i can change alot. I can remove points into useless shapeshift ability for Morrigan. Perhaps make her into a blood mage. Alistair dual wield (momentum turned on) for maximum mana succ. Need a mod to make Sten cool like the Qunaari in DA2. Then a melee ranger Rogue. Time to succeed on nightmare mode.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Look, lets be honest. Once enough people complain, Sephiroth will be added in to show up for his contractually obligated extra boss fight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going back to Shadow Complex and it is kind of stupid how so many item gates just have an upgrade for how many of that item you can carry. Which are kind of pointless because you're never going to run out of that stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

Regarding Final Fantasy Characters in KH3 For the record other than a flashback cutscene explaining the story of one world there are only moogles and a cactuar. They purposefully removed them all and have no plans to ever put them back in because the developer thinks FF crosovers are tired out

Literraly the sales pitch for the series and they just decide that they're done and won't be doing any more of that. Good loving lord.

Near the end of the final world end game spoilers- like 40 minutes before the game ends Eight games go by for them to finally make Kairi somewhat relevant to
anything going on and she's in one fight for a minute and a half and then she gets killed. Seems like they didn't have any idea what to do with her at all IMO.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Calaveron posted:

This should help! (It won't)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

polygon don't know games. they cant even play cuphead, they just whine about how its unfair (source: googled "polygon cuphead hard")

the only good game grumps since jontron: BARRY! has a very good summary of the story

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Feb 3, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Note that I’ve only watched streams of KH3 and not played it myself:

The way it conveys information is just weird, to the extent that like I wanna sit the writers down and ask how they think storytelling works. There’s a lot of info dumping but it doesn’t actually make sense at all, and it’s not just that things have gotten complicated over ten games, it’s that it refuses to focus ever.

Like okay, early in the game, Sora has lost his powers, but also a character Aqua has gone missing. Sora out of nowhere says he’ll rescue her, which sure, fine. But then he and Donald and Goofy get in their ship and they get a call from two other anime dudes who have discover that Sora has another character’s heart in his heart (Raxos who is his Heartless and no I can’t explain this) and he’s also missing so Sora reasons he can find Raxos by following his heart which is Raxos’ heart and WHAT

Oh and then he goes to a place to find Raxos only to find he was last seen in like another version of that same place

This is a game where a cutscene literally cuts off midsentence, a mysterious figure starts to say something and even the subtitles don’t finish the word he was saying.

What I’ve seen of the game seems to have some fun mechanics and cute moments where you meet Remy and so on but This Is Not How Writing Works.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's Roxas, he is Sora's Nobody and he is a good boy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

spit on my clit posted:

polygon don't know games. they cant even play cuphead, they just whine about how its unfair (source: googled "polygon cuphead hard")

They know a lot about games, they just aren't very good at some of them. Which, boo hoo, I can find footage of someone playing a game well anyway. Brian David Gilbert's Unravelled series (which that link is to an episode of) is one of their best, largely because it's entirely about over-research, including about things that don't matter.

That video's one of the better Kingdom Hearts summaries I've seen--and YouTube's churned out a lot of them lately--because it doesn't get overly concerned about minutia, it's more about explaining the core details, and also does make a point of trying to chart Xehanort in an understandable fashion; you watch Polygon's video and you'll know what you need to. Barry Kramer's is up there too, because he does make a point of mentioning every point, but there's a bunch of it that doesn't really matter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Note that I’ve only watched streams of KH3 and not played it myself:

The way it conveys information is just weird, to the extent that like I wanna sit the writers down and ask how they think storytelling works. There’s a lot of info dumping but it doesn’t actually make sense at all, and it’s not just that things have gotten complicated over ten games, it’s that it refuses to focus ever.

Like okay, early in the game, Sora has lost his powers, but also a character Aqua has gone missing. Sora out of nowhere says he’ll rescue her, which sure, fine. But then he and Donald and Goofy get in their ship and they get a call from two other anime dudes who have discover that Sora has another character’s heart in his heart (Raxos who is his Heartless and no I can’t explain this) and he’s also missing so Sora reasons he can find Raxos by following his heart which is Raxos’ heart and WHAT

Oh and then he goes to a place to find Raxos only to find he was last seen in like another version of that same place

This is a game where a cutscene literally cuts off midsentence, a mysterious figure starts to say something and even the subtitles don’t finish the word he was saying.

What I’ve seen of the game seems to have some fun mechanics and cute moments where you meet Remy and so on but This Is Not How Writing Works.

Just insert whatever you want into it so it makes sense to you. Think of it like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde but they're still somewhat aware of the other no matter who's in control at the time. That's how I make sense of it at least.

I won't argue with you that the way they present information isn't a mess though.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Feb 3, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got to my first ball maze puzzle in the Switch version of Breath of the Wild, and there does not seem to be any relation between how I hold my controller and how the maze moves.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr Christmas posted:

I got to my first ball maze puzzle in the Switch version of Breath of the Wild, and there does not seem to be any relation between how I hold my controller and how the maze moves.

I feel like those technically worked, but drifted further and further off from your controller's natural orientation so you're eventually holding it like 3/4 upside down and pointed away from you to be "level" - I remember thinking they needed an auto-calibrate button like Splatoon or something. Anyway they were among the list of puzzle room types where I cheesed the first one and then added them to my "nope" list for immediately turning around and leaving the shrine.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Feb 3, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was using dual Joycons at the time, and even though only the right one seemed to affect the puzzle, plugging both into a controller sheath seemed to stabilize everything. It was still frustrating to do even after that.

I had to beat it twice due the jumping down to get a chest on the puzzle, finding that I had no way to get off, and then saving and reloading to find the door closed again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dr Christmas posted:

Wiggle controls are the worst

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My major KH3 complaint right now is that Uncle Scrooge doesn't sound Scottish enough.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I just flipped the board and slapped the ball like a paddle

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I got a free copy of The Division, and in a purely mechanical co-op tactical shooter sense I love it. I can even put aside the deeply troubling themes going totally unexamined because hey, it's a loving tom clancy game specifically made to appeal to right-wing totalitarian dipshits and keep them too occupied to stolen valor cosplay at the mall or shoot black teenagers and I consider that a public service really

But

BUUUUT

Why does the writing have to be so aggressively bad? Even for post-mortem Tom Clancy this is bad. I don't even get to listen to misused military acronyms or DANGER CLOSE OSCAR MIKE OOH RAH CoD chatter, it's just vague, melodramatic war movie dialogue like "I... I left too many good men behind and now we have to get back in the fight... to protect freedom *dramatic musical sting*" and most of the rest is some quirky NPC you'll literally never see again delivering a baby's first nihilistic monologue apropos of nothing to your mute, unblinking player character in an unskippable cutscene

and the rest is some hero cop on your side yelling YEAH SHOOT EM SHOOT THOSE LOWER CLASS DISASTER SURVIVORS IN THE FACE THEY'RE loving SCUM DON'T THINK JUST UNLOAD I'M SO CLOSE

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If KH3 doesn't have you playing as Hercules powerbombing all the animes, then what good is it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

I got a free copy of The Division, and in a purely mechanical co-op tactical shooter sense I love it. I can even put aside the deeply troubling themes going totally unexamined because hey, it's a loving tom clancy game specifically made to appeal to right-wing totalitarian dipshits and keep them too occupied to stolen valor cosplay at the mall or shoot black teenagers and I consider that a public service really

But

BUUUUT

Why does the writing have to be so aggressively bad? Even for post-mortem Tom Clancy this is bad. I don't even get to listen to misused military acronyms or DANGER CLOSE OSCAR MIKE OOH RAH CoD chatter, it's just vague, melodramatic war movie dialogue like "I... I left too many good men behind and now we have to get back in the fight... to protect freedom *dramatic musical sting*" and most of the rest is some quirky NPC you'll literally never see again delivering a baby's first nihilistic monologue apropos of nothing to your mute, unblinking player character in an unskippable cutscene

and the rest is some hero cop on your side yelling YEAH SHOOT EM SHOOT THOSE LOWER CLASS DISASTER SURVIVORS IN THE FACE THEY'RE loving SCUM DON'T THINK JUST UNLOAD I'M SO CLOSE

I didn't play much of The Division but to be fair those Lower Class Disaster Survivors are actively trying to do things like shoot/stab/bash/burn you so it's you or them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the Division moves on from the Rioters pretty quick and the enemies end up being the garbagemen, riker’s escapees, and mercs for most of the game. And a lot of the factions get fleshed out a lot with the audio logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Division's story is a bit smarter than it would first appear, like by the end of the campaign it's made clear that you aren't the good guys either and its outlook on your chances of restoring order is rather pessimistic. It's still on-brand Tom Clancy dumb, but at least it has a thesis.