Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Personally I have A) No confidence in my skills with a knife and B) No confidence in the knife itself, to do such a delicate task. Maybe later on, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

OscarDiggs posted:

Personally I have A) No confidence in my skills with a knife and B) No confidence in the knife itself, to do such a delicate task. Maybe later on, though.
Cool. Remember: Gunpla is Freedom.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

OscarDiggs posted:

It's pretty easy, I have motor skill problems and can manage it. I didn't do it from the start though, I remember going back and doing it to a kit I had built years before. And like Zedd says, do whatever you feel like doing, no point doing a thing that annoys you or you don't feel 100% at doing. Gunpla is a hobby and its supposed to be relaxing! The unbuilt kits on my shelf relaxes the hell out of me, at least.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

OscarDiggs posted:

On my first gundam kit, I over-sanded the nubs and had to scrap the idea of the v-fin altogether. I ended up with a completely different head model. Just go forth and mess up because with practice your skills will begin to suck less.

Did you guys know you can use sandpaper in curved surfaces to enhance panel lines? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3Qq1YKlYc&t=2096s

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Here's how the MG SN Wing is currently looking:

Just ignore how absolutely poo poo the wait looks.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It took me a moment to notice the clear attachments are to provide the "falling feathers" effect.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

It took me a moment to notice the clear attachments are to provide the "falling feathers" effect.

They're also an exact copy of this PB item:
https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000004186/

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I got a RG Tallgeese and a HGAC Leo. I might add another Leo down the line but I sort of want a relatively low effort diorama of sorts by posing the Tallgeese next to the Leos and poo poo, sort of a squad leader formation thing. Too bad the space/flight Leos are P-Bandai but the HGBD Leo could be nice to make it less uniform.

I've been looking around and the GM/GM looks pretty nice for a grunt kit and there's also the weapons pack that gives you some nice options for weapons. I don't think there's really a great RG to fit as the squad leader since Gundams stand out too much compared to GMs. Anyone know any HG 1/144 GMs that are good kits to build/pose that'll be a good fit as sort of the GM/GM's boss/leader?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Argas posted:

Anyone know any HG 1/144 GMs that are good kits to build/pose that'll be a good fit as sort of the GM/GM's boss/leader?

HG GM III would probably be right up your alley: https://www.gundamplanet.com/hguc-rgm-86r-gm-iii.html

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The Thunderbolt GM is pretty cool IMO but it might be a little too much for a GM squad leader, and the colors wouldn't match.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd suggest the Sniper K9 or the Powered GM Cardigan, myself.

Distinct colors, heavy armaments, and enough unique traits to seem like a commander unit instead of just another grunt.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 3, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

There's also GM Custom, and you can back him up with GM Cannon II for some canonical cannoning.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Looks like the HGUC GM III is a tad older and suffers for it. Unfortunately, seems to be the case for most of those kits.

K9 looks a bit too ace custom to be a commander variant. GM Cardigan looks more appropriate. I like the look of the Thunderbolt GM too.

Too bad the GM's extended family are kind of too different. Nothing lines up as conveniently as a Tallgeese-Leo squad would.

Shame the Gundam Ground Type/GM Ground Type are kind of too different around the torso since they seem to be very solid kits in terms of posing and accessory-wise. Oh well, I can sit on this longer. Heck, if I end up getting an airbrush for gunpla the colors won't be a big deal.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
The GM Guard/intercept came out recently.
And Jesta/Nemo/EZ-8/Guncannon revive are all within the last 5 years I think. So one of those might catch your eye.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ground GM kicks rear end and is one of the most posable HG kits I've seen. The knee bends are crazy.

The Ground Gundam is even better, and it's also got a lot of flat pieces sans panel lines so it doesn't really stick out as a super machine like other lead Gundams.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Alternatively, you could go full Thunderbolt and take a GM and throw a Gundam head on it :v:

As a US nerd who hasn't done an import before, is there anything I should know before getting hlj/amiami to ship me something?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Alternatively, you could go full Thunderbolt and take a GM and throw a Gundam head on it :v:

As a US nerd who hasn't done an import before, is there anything I should know before getting hlj/amiami to ship me something?

Only that depending on shipping options you might forget that you even ordered anything by the time it arrives.

Other countries get to deal with annoying import tariffs and inspection delays on model kits.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Oh man the frame on the RG Sazabi has little pistons that appear and disappear when you bend the limbs this is dope as hell

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Check release dates on anything you're getting from HLJ in the next couple of months. They will hold items up to 60 days after you order them (or they are released) in their "Private Warehouse" feature. It pays to combine shipping as much as possible with them.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks, goons.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Another vote for the Cardigan. It's the little kit that could. You can do all sorts of cool stuff with it, or just build it as is and it's still tremendous value

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finished the MG Avalance Exia Dash last night, and it's a heck of a chonk.

I wasn't originally that interested in the kit when it was first announced, but I kinda got into it a bit more after seeing the actual finished model on peoples twitter and such, and having built it myself now, I really quite like it.

It's not without it's faults though. First and foremost, it's built upon an unmodified MG Exia as a base. With the exception of a few extra holes on the torso back plate and the waist armor, it's the exact same model with no improvements. The wrist armor still gets in the way of the hands and holographic strips on the shoulders are still too darn springy, etc. If I was gonna build it again actually I'd probably leave the shoulder strips out as you can hardly even see them under the shoulder armor.

The Avalanche equipment looks great. It all attaches permenantly to the kit so you dont have to worry about it falling off like on some other designs. The exception to that though is the extra vents on the chest don't really have anything to grip onto and I eventually had to leave them off until the end because every time I added something at least one of them would fall off. As is the case with these extra equipment builds though you do lose some articulation. The shoulder armor is huge and sometimes has to fight the rear weapons rack for space. The waist swivel has also been reduced as there are two new holographic strips that tether the back of the torso to the rear waist armor. The under arm equipement now takes up all of the under arm space that the GN sword would take up when folded and the regular wrist armor gets in the way of hand swivel so you can't get a proper blade folded pose. Overall though, it does look great and I can for the most part forgive these grievances for the look it achieves.

For the legs you can choose only regular or Dash equipment as they're really not designed to be swapped out. I went with Dash as I had already paid for it and there would be a lot left in the box if you went for vanilla Avalanche. That said, Dash pretty much relegates poor Exia to a life upon a stand, though luckily the kit does include the simplified AB1 in GN sparkle green. The Dash equipment is very well done though, the GN Shoes (:v:) flip out on a nice big sturdy arm in a really simple motion, no Zeta style withcraft in sight, and the platforms for the feet are also articulated as is the block that holds the GN Toes which makes for some nice posability from what would otherwise be just 2 giant lumps on plastic. The only complaint I have about the Dash equipment is that it requires you to omit the knee cap as it wouldn't fit behind the GN Knee GN Thruster, and there's nothing to replace it so 90 percent of the time it all looks ok but every now and then you might catch an unpleasant glimpse of the empty space and raw pegs.

Overall though, it looks great. It has it's flaws, and if you're not that into it I probably wouldn't recommend picking it up on a whim but if you like GN Chonks it's a real handsome beast.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/sjxqr393/status/965867423051104261

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:same:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I have the other problem, I'll build and paint my kits but I hoard building supplies and paints.

I'm seeing a doctor on Wednesday

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 5, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hope nobody was excited for the black and orange R2-D2 because it's just black.

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/bandai_r2q5.html

Like seriously Bandai, that's the best you could do? Were you even trying?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Hope nobody was excited for the black and orange R2-D2 because it's just black.

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/bandai_r2q5.html

Like seriously Bandai, that's the best you could do? Were you even trying?

That's actually quite peculiar, considering they had to actively make the secondary frame black instead of orange for no good reason.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So this is my first time masking, second time airbrushing.

It came out great! I'm happy with the results, but it's not over -- I have to mask again to get the color scheme I'm going for.

(I'm away from my home PC so this is the best I've got. Going to paint those red rings near the joints by hand, as well well as the helmet -- assuming I don't just leave it in the white.)

Here's the thing: Every masking guide I find just deals with one instance of masking. I haven't found anything about dealing with existing paint, and since I'm working with Tamiya paints I know that the layer I've just put down is fairly fragile (though I did prime the parts with Mr Surfacer 1200).

Are there any steps I should take to make sure I don't tear off the paint I've just laid down when I paint the remaining color? Should I have done this differently? Help me paint this ugly gunpla, goons.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 6, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've used tamiya paints for years. Just wait a couple of days for it to cure properly, then use tamiya masking tape( a product I really recommend) over it and it should be fine.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Are there any steps I should take to make sure I don't tear off the paint I've just laid down when I paint the remaining color? Should I have done this differently? Help me paint this ugly gunpla, goons.

Definitely wait overnight, if not 24 hours, to allow for a full cure.

I've had great success with taking my tape and putting it on my jeans or shirt if it's cotton once or twice. It lowers the tack a bit but doesn't compromise coverage. You can also do this with decorative stickers that come with the kit. I did that for my Qubeley Papillion to great effect. Just de-tack a few times and you're good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Definitely wait overnight, if not 24 hours, to allow for a full cure.

I've had great success with taking my tape and putting it on my jeans or shirt if it's cotton once or twice. It lowers the tack a bit but doesn't compromise coverage. You can also do this with decorative stickers that come with the kit. I did that for my Qubeley Papillion to great effect. Just de-tack a few times and you're good.

This is good advice, I do this with blue tape all the time. It's cheaper and saves money. I find that doing the parts where the two paints "meet' with Tamiya tape and then covering up the rest with blue tape to work the best for me.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 6, 2019

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the advice! That puts my mind at ease -- you can actually see some Tamiya masking tape stuck to the box in that picture, so I already have what I need. I'll hold off and give it time to cure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I've used tamiya paints for years. Just wait a couple of days for it to cure properly, then use tamiya masking tape( a product I really recommend) over it and it should be fine.

Waiting two days is the critical thing here with Tamiya.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
One other possible masking strategy is to use Parafilm M. It's paraffin lab prep film, available on Amazon. You cut a piece, stretch it evenly, give it a minute to settle, and use finger pressure to rub it onto a surface. Use a fresh, sharp Xacto or scalpel blade with gentle, even pressure, and gently pull up the parts you don't want masked. Takes some practice and time but it gives amazing, precise results for when they're needed. Haven't tried it on an airplane canopy yet but some plane modelers turned me on to it for just that use.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ooh ouch. Bandai finally putting out RG Banshee's Armed Armor VN/BS but of course it's a P-Bandai.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000009986/

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

RillAkBea posted:

Ooh ouch. Bandai finally putting out RG Banshee's Armed Armor VN/BS but of course it's a P-Bandai.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000009986/

Can somebody explain this weird autofallatio thing Bandai has with their products? Does the p-Bandai store exist just to get better profit margins?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d3lness posted:

Can somebody explain this weird autofallatio thing Bandai has with their products? Does the p-Bandai store exist just to get better profit margins?

Otaku have deep pockets (or at least a badly-unbalanced budget) and are suckers for shiny/special things. It's a whaling economy similar to lootboxes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

d3lness posted:

iirc it came about, or at least became the major thing it is now, after the Gundam AGE Gunpla flood. Where they made tons of kits for the new hot upcoming Gundam series that was a guaranteed hit, Gundam AGE. And none of them sold. Like, at all. The only kit that did even OK numbers was the AGE-1 Titus, and that was entirely because of the Madoka meme. Stores had hundreds of model kits that they couldn't sell clogging up shelves, and it was a huge problem.

Selling kits through P-Bandai completely eliminates that problem. The stores get kits that everyone is reasonably sure will sell, and the fans are still able to get minor variants or niche Suits that wouldn't have as much wide appeal.

You have to remember that for people living in Japan, a kit being P-Bandai is no problem at all. They just order it. It's only people who live outside Japan who are hosed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

You have to remember that for people living in Japan, a kit being P-Bandai is no problem at all. They just order it. It's only people who live outside Japan who are hosed.

It's a problem that PB is produced to order so if you are just joining the hobby and find something you really want isn't general release you're waiting for a reprint or getting butt hosed on the secondary market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

It's a problem that PB is produced to order so if you are just joining the hobby and find something you really want isn't general release you're waiting for a reprint or getting butt hosed on the secondary market.

Sure, but that's true to a lesser degree for regular kits too. There are stretches between printings where certain kits can be pretty tough to find. And for people in Japan the Gunpla secondary market is significantly less butt loving than it is for people outside Japan.