Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

When I played Coup it felt just as random as Masquerade, but less fun.

Imo masq takes the coup problem of "the game ends when one person fucks up or goes against the optimal deadlock" and makes it the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I do agree the endgame of the US version of Mysterium is crap.

What's different about it? (vs. say other versions?)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a Coup-like game I have some fondness for called Blood Bound. You have various roles ranked 1-9 in two teams of blue and red. One person has a knife and chooses to stab someone and they either reveal their rank, reveal their role, or someone else can leap in to take the hit. The person who got stabbed then takes the knife. If your role is unrevealed you can reveal it to do a special ability like the warrior stabs back whoever stabs him. The game ends immediately when someone dies (can't reveal a token) and everyone reveals themselves: if you killed the lowest rank of the opposing team you win, if you kill anyone else you lose.

You've got some interesting additions for subterfuge as everyone knows the team (but not the rank or role) of the player to their left, but one role has reversed colors so the blue spy's team icon is red. Some roles have no team affiliation so their tokens appear as a question mark. And in odd player counts you have the Inquisitor who wins by giving the lowest rank player of the team they think will win a curse.

But truly the best thing about it is the original art before Fantasy Flight reprinted it with illustrated art. I want anyone reading this to go to BGG and see the original art for Blood Bound but lets just say it's like they booked the same shooting schedule as Touch of Evil and threw a bunch of wigs on college drama students needing credit hours.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

jmzero posted:

I think the call is reasonable with 4p or less.

We usually played at 6p, where this kind of move feels pretty aggressive. And without any basis on when to make the call beyond stuff like "who has been winning" or "who screwed me last game", it ended up being pretty political for us.

Yeah, it feels like a tougher call at 6p. It's still less than a 3% reduction in winrate to make that play, but when you are starting out at 17%, that feels more significant.

I think 4p is the best player count for base coup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The End posted:

It helps that 2018 was kinda meh for new games. I know for my group we've been reaching back into the vaults.

Yeah 2018 was the year of good reprints. 2019 might be as well, considering the Roads and Boats announcement along with Pax Pamir.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What are some ‘19 games to look out for? FCM and new line/sequels to Jaipur are all I have on my list.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Bottom Liner posted:

sequels to Jaipur

Wait, what? Please elaborate, googling gives me nothing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

What are some ‘19 games to look out for? FCM and new line/sequels to Jaipur are all I have on my list.

Irish Gauge, 1862, 1830.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

FCM expansion is a million times higher than anything else I've seen thus far, and honestly other than that the only thing that comes to mind currently is Era: Medieval Age from Matt Leacock & Eggertspiele which was just announced and looks really cool, will be really curious to find out more about how it plays.

Maybe Century: A New World, if the giant Voltron version of the game when combined with games #1 & 2 is actually interesting. Plan B's publicity rep has dropped the comment a few times I've seen on FB that they're reconsidering doing Golem Editions for #2 & #3 due to continued demand from people, which would be nice, too.

And even though it'll probably be mediocre, suuuper looking forward to the Fight Club deck-building game from Mondo, and nothing anyone says will change that. :colbert:

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Tsietisin posted:

For UK people I found out that The Works online store is having a sale on board games. Nothing majorly spectacular title wise, they have Lords of Xidit, Steam Time and Android: mainframe along with several others for £10 each. Plus there's also a code at the top of the website for even more off.

I picked up a couple of games this way so might be worth seeing if there is anything you like.

A few pages back but thanks for the heads up, this feels like a steal to me:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PerniciousKnid posted:

When I played Coup it felt just as random as Masquerade, but less fun.

What I find interesting about Coup is that yes, it feels random as gently caress, but then some people consistently win more than others.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Here are some games I'm looking out for:

Barrage: Daniele Tascini's next game that mixes an iteration of his Tzolkin style clock gameplay and a unique kind of route building.

Black Angel: A sci fi game by the Troyes team.

Glen More 2

The new Vital Lacerda games Escape Plan and On Mars

Tokyo Tsujiki Market

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I just bought Feast for Odin and oh my god how are there this many tokens

BlueHeron
Feb 20, 2015

El Fideo posted:

Wait, what? Please elaborate, googling gives me nothing.

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/1091566641517875201

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
2019 reprints worth looking at
Age of Steam deluxe
pax pamir
Roads & Boats
Irish Gauge
Clinic Deluxe? May be 2020
Pastally english release

new stuff:
FCM expansion
Root expansion
1822Mex
Ghandi COIN
City of Big Shoulders
Pipeline
Bios Origins 2
Pax transhumanity
new tokyo series stuff
Vast 2

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Papes posted:

new stuff:
Pipeline

Forgot about this one, definitely is on my list.

Re: FCM expansion pre-orders, has anyone here who ordered it directly (or have ordered direct from Splotter in the past) been charged as of placing your order? I got my order confirmation email but couldn't figure out where the next $120 in my bank account was coming from until I realized that I hadn't been charged for the game last week. Do they not charge until things ship, or are they just slow?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CRISPYBABY posted:

I take it you don’t own Antiquity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Papes posted:

Age of Steam deluxe
pax pamir
Roads & Boats
Irish Gauge
Pastally english release

new stuff:
FCM expansion
Root expansion
1822Mex
Ghandi COIN
City of Big Shoulders
Pipeline
Bios Origins 2
Pax transhumanity
new tokyo series stuff
Vast 2

Good list, thanks!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

gently caress. YES.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Papes posted:

Age of Steam deluxe
pax pamir
Roads & Boats
Irish Gauge
Pastally english release

new stuff:
FCM expansion
Root expansion
1822Mex
Ghandi COIN
City of Big Shoulders
Pipeline
Bios Origins 2
Pax transhumanity
new tokyo series stuff
Vast 2

The reprint of Key Market that was supposed to happen in 2018 got pushed to 2019, so maybe that will happen.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is there any expectation 1828 would be published beyond pnp files on github?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is there any expectation 1828 would be published beyond pnp files on github?

I think clearclaw plans to sell copies if I recall correctly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CRISPYBABY posted:

Now imagine having to punch them in a German hotel room to save a kilo from your luggage weight allowance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GMT's twitter has been gushing a bit lately about having secured a third 18xx title in the last week or two.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mayveena posted:

I take it you don’t own Antiquity.

Punching out Antiquity triggered allergies I didn't know I had. I was a runny nosed sneezing mess by the end.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jedit posted:

Now imagine having to punch them in a German hotel room to save a kilo from your luggage weight allowance.

Sounds honorable and pure tbh.

CommonShore posted:

GMT's twitter has been gushing a bit lately about having secured a third 18xx title in the last week or two.

What's the word on 1862, anyhow? I've only played 1846 and I like it a lot, so I'm curious to get into one that's a bit more wild in terms of the market.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
'62 is extremely un-wild in terms of the stock market. I mean, it's wild that there are a lot of weird rules, but every weird rule in the game is directing players to focus on the operational rounds. You cannot loot a company, you cannot have companies dumped on you, if a company is doing well or badly enough, even your ability to affect the share price is diminished. And that's ok! there's wildness in the ORs - there are no junctions! Blocking companies with stations is absolutely vicious, and of course there are 3 different types of trains operating on a unique (to my knowledge) routs system.
However, I gotta say my enthusiasm is limited because it's a big ol' chromey mess. I'm looking forward to seeing the GMT rulebook because the old one could certainly use some punch-up. There are a few systems in there I've not seen cause to interact with yet, and I've had surprises when going to the manual, finding little exceptions tucked away I must have skimmed tens of times.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Papes posted:

Age of Steam deluxe
pax pamir
Roads & Boats
Irish Gauge
Pastally english release

new stuff:
FCM expansion
Root expansion
1822Mex
Ghandi COIN
City of Big Shoulders
Pipeline
Bios Origins 2
Pax transhumanity
new tokyo series stuff
Vast 2

Age of Steam deluxe is an Insta buy for our house, any idea when this will be available?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CRISPYBABY posted:

Everybody puts a giant pile of them down on their board every turn. You need enough for four people to pile them up like maniacs.

It's a pretty unique experience seeing it all come together! And The Norwegians seems like it's tailor-made to address veteran sticking points about the game. A tighter board at lower player counts, occupations being playable for either their effect or the top of a declining stack of VP tokens, spaces on the board designed to eat up giant stacks of extra weapon cards, and some additional variant starting conditions in the form of artisan sheds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Age of Steam deluxe is an Insta buy for our house, any idea when this will be available?

A lot of stuff on that list is hitting Kickstarter this year so release next year

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So Prêt-à-Porter is getting a rerelease and it has always intrigued me on theme alone. I assume it is trash since Ignasty is the designer?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ignasty is a significantly cooler name than he deserves lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

djfooboo posted:

So Prêt-à-Porter is getting a rerelease and it has always intrigued me on theme alone. I assume it is trash since Ignasty is the designer?

I heard years ago they rethemed it to designing video games. Is this still true?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

al-azad posted:

I heard years ago they rethemed it to designing video games. Is this still true?

They thought about it, then went back to the fashion industry. The new version's art is by Kwanchai Moriya, which actually raises my interest in it a bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slimchandi posted:

A few pages back but thanks for the heads up, this feels like a steal to me:

Got this to the table last night. We hosed up one rule that is easily missed (you get the income from an upgrade when you buy it as well as during the income step), but it's not bad. However, I would say that you either have to play it twice or make sure everyone knows the Alpha effort cards have six different crystals on but the Omegas have three pairs. Otherwise people won't be able to plan correctly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mega Civ took 9.5h including rules teach and almost finished. Basic AST, one step away from winning but with some catastrophes coming up I imagine it would’ve taken another 1.5-2h. Superb owl was going in the background and would’ve taken a pic of the game with pats doing pats things as proof but meh was having too much fun and too involved with trading to remember.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Mega Civ took 9.5h including rules teach and almost finished. Basic AST, one step away from winning but with some catastrophes coming up I imagine it would’ve taken another 1.5-2h. Superb owl was going in the background and would’ve taken a pic of the game with pats doing pats things as proof but meh was having too much fun and too involved with trading to remember.

Nice, how many players did you end up with? Did you have people doing simultaneous turns? What did you cap trading times to? Did your group enjoy it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is Feast for Odin still the best "making weird shaped tiles fit on your board" game?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is Feast for Odin still the best "making weird shaped tiles fit on your board" game?

I personally dislike the other Uwe ones (Patchwork, Cottage Garden/Indian Summer/the third one in the series). FITS is fun but much more of a filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You might be the only person I know that doesn’t like Patchwork! But yeah, that and Feast are the best of the litter by a mile.

Barenpark gets a lot of praise too for a non-Uwe