Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SpazmasterX posted:

A friend of mine was pretty negative on what he'd been hearing, but I helped him play the demo and he had enough fun that he's going to give it a fair crack.

Yeah I get the feeling that the people who are on the "it's just destiny" thing only played the class you got in the alpha, which was the most regular shootery of them and the one they introduce you to the game with. If destiny had a bigass mech with a riot shield that could fly through enemies like a rocket powered wrecking ball I'd probably still play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poverty goat posted:

nier automata is not good though

good enough to make your posting look like poo poo in comparison

:buttfame:

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
a great thing about automata is that, like our own dear luna, it draws the tide of the shittiest fandom away from gestalt. i would tear my eyes out if the only discourse surrounding that game were "am i gay if i want to gently caress kaine??"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmbo

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

underthecube posted:

a great thing about automata is that, like our own dear luna, it draws the tide of the shittiest fandom away from gestalt. i would tear my eyes out if the only discourse surrounding that game were "am i gay if i want to gently caress kaine??"

Most of the newer nier fans aren't even aware gestalt/replicant are a thing. It's surreal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This probably isn't even unpopular but: Dr. Mario is one of the worst Tetrises.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ChazTurbo posted:

Most of the newer nier fans aren't even aware gestalt/replicant are a thing. It's surreal.

May or may not be true. I think more than a few of them can't be arsed to go back to the terrible 7th gen to play it, so they just letsplayed it.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

May or may not be true. I think more than a few of them can't be arsed to go back to the terrible 7th gen to play it, so they just letsplayed it.

I felt 7th gen was funner than the current one. Console contentwise anyway.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
This generation definitely felt like it revolved around massive open world sequels or tiny Indies, yeah. I miss the ps2 most when "weird Japanese game" meant katamari and seeing your reflection in the water was an exciting advancement

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ChazTurbo posted:

I felt 7th gen was funner than the current one. Console contentwise anyway.

Yikes to that. Them was dark days for vidja, if you ask me.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yikes to that. Them was dark days for vidja, if you ask me.

Most def in terms of all the anti-consumer practices being pushed and the huge amount of brown shooters but I liked that there were still a bunch of quircky AA games and actual exclusives. This gen's had some nice stuff but it feels like it's ending just as it was picking up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ChazTurbo posted:

Most def in terms of all the anti-consumer practices being pushed and the huge amount of brown shooters but I liked that there were still a bunch of quircky AA games and actual exclusives. This gen's had some nice stuff but it feels like it's ending just as it was picking up.

Maybe PS1 and PS2 gen, for whatever 'AA' is :shrug:, but if you ask me gen 7 was horrible for medium sized games because Japan nearly sat out the entire cycle and we got 7 years of rollercoaster corridors and "boots on the ground" experiences from US and European devs trying to fill the void of content with something/anything. And there was no indie game scene to cleanse the palette from poo poo like Dark Void, and Too Human, and LAIR, and Ninety Nine Nights.

Games like Vanquish, NieR, Bayonetta, etc were the exception rather than the rule for that entire time, and stuff like bloodsouls and TLOU only caught wind late-gen to redeem the whole endeavor.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Looking at the screenshots I seriously can't tell Anthem, Destiny 2 and Titanfall 2 apart. They really do look like they're all in the same universe. I'm not saying they're bad games but that style of visual design is even worse than realbrown imo

Even the fonts in the logos are basically the same

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Looking at the screenshots I seriously can't tell Anthem, Destiny 2 and Titanfall 2 apart. They really do look like they're all in the same universe. I'm not saying they're bad games but that style of visual design is even worse than realbrown imo

booooooooo

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Popular opinion. titanfall 2 is amazing.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If you really enjoy anything for entertainment sharing your joy isn't that useful, being passionate about things is great but its unlikely another person will match your enthusiasm, mostly people will be less enthused.

If you really clicked with a game, keep quiet and let people come to it naturally. You shouldn't need to validate your joy through sharing. If you genuinely dislike something then you should feel comfortable sharing its faults so people get a more realistic, rounded view.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

If you really enjoy anything for entertainment sharing your joy isn't that useful, being passionate about things is great but its unlikely another person will match your enthusiasm, mostly people will be less enthused.

If you really clicked with a game, keep quiet and let people come to it naturally. You shouldn't need to validate your joy through sharing. If you genuinely dislike something then you should feel comfortable sharing its faults so people get a more realistic, rounded view.

lmfao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

Beep boop target is insufficiently enthused. Ceasing information transfer.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bulletstorm is a cool game with some really good levels, it was so funny when it came out and every reviewer wanted to make sure everybody knew they were too mature for this childish rhetoric, but the game is actually very silly and quite funny at times and the reviewers all acted like it swore too much and was too immature

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Caesar Saladin posted:

Bulletstorm is a cool game with some really good levels, it was so funny when it came out and every reviewer wanted to make sure everybody knew they were too mature for this childish rhetoric, but the game is actually very silly and quite funny at times and the reviewers all acted like it swore too much and was too immature

I will kill your dick

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CrRoMa posted:

you come across as someone who thinks that they're just posting logical and coherent thoughts but FYI this post makes no loving sense

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think he's saying that sometimes people will get so excited about sharing a game they enjoyed that they inadvertently raise someone's expectations unrealistically high when they should just know when to stop the sales pitch and let the game hook them.

I think.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

I will kill your dick

You're gonna kill my dick?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

I will kill your dick

they were being a bit silly when they said that, like the character was saying something stupid and they acknowledge that its dumb

acting like you are too mature for a dick joke is really pathetic

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 3, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love people that act like dicks are serious business ever. The things are just inherently hilarious and goofy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I think he's saying that sometimes people will get so excited about sharing a game they enjoyed that they inadvertently raise someone's expectations unrealistically high when they should just know when to stop the sales pitch and let the game hook them.

I think.

they said that sharing any positive experience is bad, because people exist in a vacuum, but sharing negative experiences is good because people don't exist in a vacuum

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Very unpopular opinion; Nintendo games just aren't that much fun.

I grew up playing Commodore 64 and Amiga games, so consoles weren't even on the radar for me.

I do have a PS4 because God of War is just so much fun, but I never caught the Nintendo bug.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Shibawanko posted:

Titanfall 2 is a lot of fun. I stopped playing Destiny 2 months ago because it's soooooo empty.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bulletstorm was great, they remastered it and I picked it up on Steam over Christmas for like $8 and guess what it's still great

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If a game is an RPG and your perspective is primarily over-the-shoulder it's gonna be a bad game and you shouldn't buy it. Unless it's Spiderman.

These bullshit video games are basically just bad movies. The Last of Us style games. All bad, all dumb, don't play them.

Except Spiderman.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Put the hyphen in you coward

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

jokes posted:

If a game is an RPG and your perspective is primarily over-the-shoulder it's gonna be a bad game and you shouldn't buy it. Unless it's Spiderman.

These bullshit video games are basically just bad movies. The Last of Us style games. All bad, all dumb, don't play them.

Except Spiderman.

God of War was good

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

you come across as someone who thinks that they're just posting logical and coherent thoughts but FYI this post makes no loving sense

I feel entertainment is too divisive to be shared readily amongst people. It's different if we are speaking about food, or maybe a particularly nice road to drive on but with entertainment there is so much choice in in the world and people's lives are so busy. Not to mention the time investment for most games/shows etc.

I think my main example here is Game of Thrones, a show that I'd heard dozens of people praise endlessly, I think I got 7 episodes in before realising that the praise I was hearing from several sources online and off wasn't matching the expectations I had. I don't think its bad, its a good show and had I came across it naturally I might have watched the whole thing and felt more satisfied. Going in hearing so much deep, gushing praise maybe threw me off in a way it doesn't for most folks. Compare it to my favourite TV shows, things like the UK Office or Peep Show or Bottom and it's things I came across almost by chance browsing late night tv.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

jokes posted:

Except Spiderman.

Yeah over the shoulder is meant for melee combat, if it's in any other kind of game it usually means the game is cinematic poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hi, nice to meet you!

What, you're talking about Game of Thrones? Never watched it. So if you go down W 84th street it's a smooth drive-- about 1.5 miles before it turns into Main street, but for that 1.5 miles it's great. You're probably thinking to yourself "oh I enjoy driving down E 36th though" but I'm telling you, if you like E 36th, you'll love W84th. The sidewalks are pristine, hardly any litter. Spectacular.

I don't want to talk about game of thrones, TV shows are so divisive there's no way to enjoy a conversation about TV. But this road, my God.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I was more referring to driving highland countryside in the UK than that

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Beep boop how does recommending entertainment work

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CrRoMa posted:

I feel entertainment is too divisive to be shared readily amongst people. It's different if we are speaking about food, or maybe a particularly nice road to drive on but with entertainment there is so much choice in in the world and people's lives are so busy. Not to mention the time investment for most games/shows etc.

I think my main example here is Game of Thrones, a show that I'd heard dozens of people praise endlessly, I think I got 7 episodes in before realising that the praise I was hearing from several sources online and off wasn't matching the expectations I had. I don't think its bad, its a good show and had I came across it naturally I might have watched the whole thing and felt more satisfied. Going in hearing so much deep, gushing praise maybe threw me off in a way it doesn't for most folks. Compare it to my favourite TV shows, things like the UK Office or Peep Show or Bottom and it's things I came across almost by chance browsing late night tv.

Praise is useful because via consensus it makes people more easily able to identify things that they'll like, to the credit of your point that there's infinite entertainment and not enough time to partake in all of it. I started reading the Game of Thrones books years ago because I'd heard some people talking about how much they enjoyed them, they told me why, and those reasons sounded compelling enough for me to try the books. Boom, I get to enjoy a new thing. It sounds like you either allow your expectations to get too high from any praise or you're just a contrarian pissbaby who hates popular things because they're popular.

Over-praise can be harmful like you're saying here, I agree with that, but that's not what you said originally: earlier you were suggesting that any praise leads to expectations that can only possibly be failed, and therefore you should never praise anything, people should just discover shows organically like you apparently did.

Anyway, you've made another lovely contradiction post. Here you say that time is too short to listen to what others have to say but you're apparently discovering your favorite TV shows by random browsing? That's contradictory.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

Food is more divisive than media. Food divides entire civilizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Both Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 were really fun games to play for 20 or 30 hours