Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

joedevola posted:

It *always* bums me out to see that.

Hey, you know this lovely minimum wage job you hate? Well now you have to do it standing up six times as fast!

Also, five of you don’t need to show up for work tomorrow or ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I haven't waited in a line at the supermarket in many years thanks to the self checkout lanes, which further optimize things by letting one cashier monitor six lanes at once.

I've had to wait in line at the self checkout before. To the right they've got some candy, to the left are baked sweets, and behind is a freezer with ice cream, pizza, and microwave dinners in it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it seems like the huge lines at the checkout from my childhood ~30 years ago aren't a thing anymore, but that might be because back then we went every other Sunday on triple coupon day as opposed to now when I go at whatever odd hours I need more food

also lol mainstream American conservative thought seems to be largely a defense against people discovering Marxism by pre-empting his ideas with just-so arguments about the natural state of the market or whatever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

joedevola posted:

It *always* bums me out to see that.

Hey, you know this lovely minimum wage job you hate? Well now you have to do it standing up six times as fast!

The heck are you talking about here? You sound like someone who's never worked cashier, much less worked cashier monitoring a self-checkout section.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Also, five of you don’t need to show up for work tomorrow or ever.

That is not how self checkouts work. Stores that think they work that way quickly find themselves having to bring everyone back in, because they still need a lot of staffing to monitor each line and to do all the various chores that cashiers are made to do when the lines are short/nonexistent at lulls.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Self checkouts own because they make petty theft easier than ever.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

fishmech posted:

The heck are you talking about here? You sound like someone who's never worked cashier, much less worked cashier monitoring a self-checkout section.

I know at my local supermarket there's a depressed looking guy who used to sit down and deal with one customer at a time and now he stands up and has monitor like 10 of the self checkout things at once. He seems more depressed now.

I never used them because I don't work for the loving supermarket.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Self checkouts own because they make petty theft easier than ever.

I straight up walked out of Walmart the other day with my 12 pack of ginger ale on the bottom shelf thing of the shopping cart. Totally forgot it was there until I was loading my stuff into my truck, I was like, "ahhhh poo poo"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

joedevola posted:

I know at my local supermarket there's a depressed looking guy who used to sit down and deal with one customer at a time and now he stands up and has monitor like 10 of the self checkout things at once. He seems more depressed now.

At this point I'm just getting one of the scanners when I walk in, scanning things as I pick them up and put them in my bags, then scan the gun, use my card, and leave. It's incredibly fast and easy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I use the self-checkout at my local Target because it's usually one, maybe two items and why should I take up space in the line or bother an actual human being for something that minor. Also, I don't need to talk to anyone, I just go in, get my poo poo, and leave. The next step was predicted by IBM over a decade ago - eliminate the self-checkout part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

joedevola posted:

Sounds like a case of old to me.
I use self checkout all the time because I can blast through and bag poo poo how I want, mostly because my grocery transport vehicle is a bike with a trailer

Zipperelli. posted:

I straight up walked out of Walmart the other day with my 12 pack of ginger ale on the bottom shelf thing of the shopping cart. Totally forgot it was there until I was loading my stuff into my truck, I was like, "ahhhh poo poo"

"Welp, can't go back there anymore. Time for grocery shopping on the lam"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
OK so I saw Bracken pop up a bit back in one of the posts, so I think it's time for a CW2 CUBE reminder:

Are we there yet?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SocketWrench posted:

Sounds like a case of old to me.
I use self checkout all the time because I can blast through and bag poo poo how I want, mostly because my grocery transport vehicle is a bike with a trailer

"Welp, can't go back there anymore. Time for grocery shopping on the lam"

Wow you’re such a badass, I bet your bike has a specific elevated basket for the poo poo that flies over your head

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Erenthal posted:

OK so I saw Bracken pop up a bit back in one of the posts, so I think it's time for a CW2 CUBE reminder:

Are we there yet?

How old was he when he made this?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know the Time Cube guy made a sequel. I assume the context is racist?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
NY Child Victims Act Passes, Cuomo Takes Aim at Bishops

:wow:

quote:

To: marshmallow
You can kill an infant in New York; but baby chicks and rabbits are protected; and now there is an open season to make accusations even when the alleged events took place decades before.

This will devastate the church will lawsuits, since in such instances an accusation will be taken as tantamount to guilt.

The church is to blame for failing to deal with the problem; but now the remedy is not going to heal, it is going to be poison.

To the delight, I imagine, of the church’s enemies.

2 posted on 1/30/2019, 8:10:56 PM by CondorFlight
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

vs, you having the same av as sexpig now is going to confuse me

I think I'm officially against blanket avatar terrorism

(artisanal avatar terrorism is still fine)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is freep generally ok with papists? I’d expect them to see catholics as foreign invaders, possibly hiding under apparent whiteness.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is freep generally ok with papists? I’d expect them to see catholics as foreign invaders, possibly hiding under apparent whiteness.

Depends on what she was wearing.

Edit: Oh, papists.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

It depends. When Catholics are standing with conservatives (JP2, BenedictXVI, pro-life marches, those Covington kids) they're all lovey-dovey. When Catholics say or do things that are liberal (Francis, sanctuary cities, protesting war and inequality) suddenly it's all evil papists and the whore of Rome and all that.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Erenthal posted:

Are we there yet?

Braken was posting quite a bit about the wall last week.

Right now, no absolutally not.

Ragnar34 posted:

I didn't know the Time Cube guy made a sequel. I assume the context is racist?

Does anyone have the links to the lets read Braken trilogy?

e: Also Freep is really, really wound up about the new abortion bill that failed in the virgina house? senate? because of what Northam said, which was of course taken completely out of context and then blasted over the right wing airwaves.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 31, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
"To the delight, I imagine, of the church’s enemies."

Welp, they got me there.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

vs, you having the same av as sexpig now is going to confuse me

I think I'm officially against blanket avatar terrorism

(artisanal avatar terrorism is still fine)

It was marginally amusing when somebody gave Owlofcreamcheese a similar avatar to fishmech so at first glance you got the slightly surreal experience of pages upon pages of fishmech arguing with himself.

Plinkey posted:

Does anyone have the links to the lets read Braken trilogy?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506161 (You'll need Archives to read it)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zwabu posted:

I wandered over to freep for a little schadenfreude snack today but it's just so drat BORING and predictable anymore.

80-90 percent of regular posters are still all in on "well this doesn't look great (shutdown cave) but I still have faith that our big fat orange Jesus is playing 11th dimensional chess and will somehow smite our enemies in some way that I can't quite envision right now".

That's my response to the rightwing gamer forums I used to visit. They are boring to an extreme and trolling them only produces the exact same responses. They shut their brains down and turn into automatons when presented with any information not filtered through their propaganda lense.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

evilmiera posted:

That's my response to the rightwing gamer forums I used to visit. They are boring to an extreme and trolling them only produces the exact same responses. They shut their brains down and turn into automatons when presented with any information not filtered through their propaganda lense.

Usually involving chants of "Orange man bad!" with no sense of irony.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Nah I don't have archives and it loads just fine

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mllaneza posted:

I use the self-checkout at my local Target because it's usually one, maybe two items and why should I take up space in the line or bother an actual human being for something that minor. Also, I don't need to talk to anyone, I just go in, get my poo poo, and leave. The next step was predicted by IBM over a decade ago - eliminate the self-checkout part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

I wish we had those self-checkout scanner guns some supermarkets in europe have. Grab a gun, put in your account info, scan stuff as you pick it up and put it in your bags and put the gun back when you're done. Hell you could probably make it a phone app these days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Republicans posted:

I wish we had those self-checkout scanner guns some supermarkets in europe have. Grab a gun, put in your account info, scan stuff as you pick it up and put it in your bags and put the gun back when you're done. Hell you could probably make it a phone app these days.

American supermarkets do have that. They are not popular. A lot of places that used to use them took em out. You can even use them with a phone app at some chains and have been able to do so for over 5 years.

Here's an example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modivmedia.scanitss&hl=en_US
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stop-shop-scan-it-mobile/id426163468?mt=8

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

American supermarkets do have that. They are not popular. A lot of places that used to use them took em out. You can even use them with a phone app at some chains and have been able to do so for over 5 years.

Here's an example:

Good lord does this scream profit loss due to petty larceny... Or am I just jaded as gently caress at humanity?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Zipperelli. posted:

Good lord does this scream profit loss due to petty larceny... Or am I just jaded as gently caress at humanity?

They do randomly check bags to make sure the stuff in there was actually scanned and paid for, but (at least for me) not as often as you'd think. You have to give your personal info to check them out, I assume most shoplifters aren't going to bother with all that, and just increasing the frequency of bag checks when someone has high-loss items probably stops a lot of that.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Republicans posted:

That would require competence, and well, half of us vote Republican. So yeah, it's not a popular thing

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SocketWrench posted:

That would require competence, and well, half of us vote Republican. So yeah, it's not a popular thing

My Safeway briefly had a self checkout station but they removed it because people didn't like it, so it's not a big shock to me self-scan never caught on either. :shrug:

fishmech posted:

Here's an example:

That app just seems like more of a hassle than it's worth, though I do see that Sam's Club has a more practical version that lets you bypass a cashier entirely. Sure wish Costco had a similar app.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 1, 2019

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I'd settle for an express lane so I'm not stuck behind a dozen people with 500 items each when I just want to pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
You guys don’t have self checkouts? Wow, I thought we imported it from you tbh.

Then again, I hear a genuinely important part of the service experience for some Americans is being able to lord it over retail workers/waitstaff etc, and self checkouts don’t let you do that. So it makes sense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ocrassus posted:

Then again, I hear a genuinely important part of the service experience for some Americans is being able to lord it over retail workers/waitstaff etc, and self checkouts don’t let you do that. So it makes sense.

Some do, some don't. Some did but stopped using them for various reasons. America's a big country shits wild.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ocrassus posted:

Lots of places have self checkouts. Not self scanners like you hold in your hand, but registers you do all the scanning and pay through before you exit. My town's full of a lot of old people, so the self scanners at the local Kroger are usually empty. Doubly so if I do runs on my lunch break about an hour before they close.
Went to Meijers for the first time in years the other night, half the lanes are self checkouts and of those a few are dedicated to 5 items or less

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the worst thing about self checkouts is the people who have like 3 items and can't figure out for the life of them how to use it. I've literally checked out with a whole cart (well like one of those mini carts) in the time some people take to do that.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

God we're old.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ambitious Spider posted:

the worst thing about self checkouts is the people who have like 3 items and can't figure out for the life of them how to use it. I've literally checked out with a whole cart (well like one of those mini carts) in the time some people take to do that.

Most people are staggeringly dumb.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I have mixed feelings about self check out. They are nice when you have a couple items and there isn't a line. However, it's a giant pain in the rear end when you're stuck behind someone trying to ring 2 weeks of groceries(and bag em all at the end of course) or some Boomer who can barely figure any of it out. I also try to always use a cashier line when I've got a full load of groceries because it's just easier and quicker that way.

Express lines are also broken because while I feel iffy when I'm at the limit, some people feel no shame about walking up to them with a full cart. That's even more true for express self checkout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Most people are staggeringly dumb.

The mass majority of people are incredibly technology inept and incapable of critical thought. I think that's a failure of school systems more than the people, but it is what it is.