Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Eastern Europe: The PiS tape is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

And here I thought nothing good will come out of the scandal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I swear that joke popped up here before

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:piss:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read an article yesterday saying a TV actor (the president from a more comedic west wing type show apparently) is polling ahead of other candidates in Ukraine so that could be interesting. Not sure I'd that's a Donald Trump or Ronald Reagan metaphor though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I read an article yesterday saying a TV actor (the president from a more comedic west wing type show apparently) is polling ahead of other candidates in Ukraine so that could be interesting. Not sure I'd that's a Donald Trump or Ronald Reagan metaphor though.

Well, he is likely a stooge for an Oligarch, so more of a Reagan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Zelenski seems to be running on a platform most people at least don't hate, which is no platform.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
populists are literally never a good thing.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Cat Mattress posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Eastern Europe: The PiS tape is real

mods please

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditSimulator/comments/ame9qb/what_is_happening_in_poland_what_is_pissgate/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Jerry Skinner, the lawyer who is involved with the MH17 ECHR case, says there's now 291 family members involved, and they're asking for $10 million each, so about $3 billion in total.

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/563030.html

The case is against the Russian Federation, so the main thing is proving their involvement, which the JIT has already stated, so it might actually happen. I'd be surprised if Russia didn't pull out of the ECHR as a result.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

The case is against the Russian Federation, so the main thing is proving their involvement, which the JIT has already stated, so it might actually happen. I'd be surprised if Russia didn't pull out of the ECHR as a result.
Couple of days ago I saw news where Duma was voting on something related to leaving ECHR. I was distracted at the time and I missed exact details of what vote was about. Vote passed with 100% voting for it what as we all know sign of healthy democracy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From what I understand even if Russia did pull out now the ECHR would still have jurisdiction over events that took place while it was part of the ECHR, even if the cases are brought years later. Russia might refuse to cooperate with judgements, but they could still have assets siezed in Europe to pay for costs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw hell, here I was hoping the historical building they wanted to get rid of in Warsaw was the Palace.
Better luck next time, I guess.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 3, 2019

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Aw hell, here I was hoping the historical building they wanted to get rid of in Warsaw was the Palace.
Better luck next time, I guess.

You mean the palace of culture? It’s pretty awesome and hosts a gazillion cultural and educational institutions in a way no other building or buildings could so :shrug:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I thought Russia already withdrew from ECHR, but that was actually ICC. They withdrew after ICC official made statement that Russia is actually in armed conflict with Ukraine, the fact they denied. I guess withdrawing from international conventions is their favorite strategy of 'winning' cases.

Also, Palace is a reminder of Stalinist regime (and its ethos), so I can see why someone would like to see it removed.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 3, 2019

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The problem with tearing down the Palace is that they would just replace it with a monument to Jesus or national pride or both.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sexy Polish Jesus

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Twin towers of Law and Order.
I also haven't heard people wanting to tear it down for quite a while.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I mean, say what you want about Palace of Culture and Science, Dude, at least it represents an ethos.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

From what I understand even if Russia did pull out now the ECHR would still have jurisdiction over events that took place while it was part of the ECHR, even if the cases are brought years later. Russia might refuse to cooperate with judgements, but they could still have assets siezed in Europe to pay for costs.

Perhaps if the rest of the world keeps suing Russia through more international justice organizations we can get the Russians to cut ties with everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I mean, say what you want about Palace of Culture and Science, Dude, at least it represents an ethos.
I don't know what it represents but it's literally the first thing you see when you exit the train station in Warsaw and that experience has scarred me for life.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know what it represents but it's literally the first thing you see when you exit the train station in Warsaw and that experience has scarred me for life.

*Looks it up*. Were you worried you ended up in Moscow instead?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 3, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dude, you leave the Centralna or Śródmieście, shittiest main station of any major Polish cities, and you complain about the look of that cool classic building?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

*Looks it up*. Were you worried you ended up in Moscow instead?

Or being set upon by vampires?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that's the first time i've heard the palace referred to as "cool classic"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Palace of Culture and Science is one of the only good things in Poland other than a load of trams.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So what’s the thread’s opinion of Biedroń’s Wiosna? Seems like a great fantasy programme that’ll be impossible to implement because it goes against every other party on the political spectrum. There’s even a proposal to fix healthcare now, as if that could be done in a fortnight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It all looks really good on paper; the question is whether they are for real and if they can whip up enough voter support. It's hard to be a leftist in Poland.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I voted for Biedron in his first parliamentary election and I had to get special papers to do so since it was not my district. I like him but... He is not a leftist and his platform is not leftist. All promises while doing nothing with the taxes.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Mokotow posted:

So what’s the thread’s opinion of Biedroń’s Wiosna? Seems like a great fantasy programme that’ll be impossible to implement because it goes against every other party on the political spectrum. There’s even a proposal to fix healthcare now, as if that could be done in a fortnight.

Eh. It's a decent piece of progressive liberalism, but there's no real bite to it. On social issues it's good - LGBT rights, abortion, gender equality, although drug reform is somehow missing - but on the economy it's a complete clusterfuck.

The program assumes a huge increase in public spending (good, that's urgently necessary) but the proposals to increase revenue are minor stuff like no religion in schools etc. that would raise, if managed perfectly, a few billion zł. None of it can be done without raising taxes and the party leadership is mostly people who are deeply opposed to that (plus they're courting the entrepreneur vote), so it can all be pretty much discounted as empty promises. There's very little about labor market issues, nothing about fixing zero-hour contracts except vacations on umowa o dzieło, which makes no goddamn sense unless you fully accept its role as a loophole for breaking labor laws. There's no ideas there to raise up economically depressed regions. There's "shut down mines ASAP" without a roadmap to shut down coal plants :psyduck:. And most significantly IMO, there's nothing about the horrible wages of public sector employees while we're facing an increasingly dire shortage of teachers and nurses.

It's not even the mildest social democracy, just feel-good fluff that caters to the urban middle class without addressing the structural problems of the country at all. I didn't have high hopes for Biedroń to start with, whatever mild optimism I had was gradually eroded in the run up to the Big Event, and I'm still disappointed by the nondescript Palikot 2.0 we got. He'll still get a good result though because he's charismatic and that's a decently popular program, and nobody here will ever will vote for raising taxes even if it's critically needed so the country's hosed anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: lmao the party platform explains that they'll somehow finance these proposals through billions earned by "improved healthcare" and "getting rid of smog". so basically they're completely ignoring the up-front costs of these things, putting vague estimates of the long-term benefits in the "revenue" column and saying "no guys it totally adds up" :laffo:

alex314 posted:

Dude, you leave the Centralna or Śródmieście, shittiest main station of any major Polish cities, and you complain about the look of that cool classic building?

I see you haven't been to Poznań main station.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 5, 2019

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
So, anyone want to talk about Ukraine n stuff?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hal_2005 posted:

So, anyone want to talk about Ukraine n stuff?

Which of 30+ officially registered presidential candidates is your favourite?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Mokotow posted:

There’s even a proposal to fix healthcare now, as if that could be done in a fortnight.

That proposal deserves a special mention. Biedron wants to get rid of long waiting queues for medical procedures by forcing the National Health Fund to pay for the patients private treatment if they can't find a public (NFZ-contracted) place that will admit him in 30 days. This will not only move a lot of money from already underfunded public sector to the private one, but will also incentivize hospitals (which are already run as for-profit companies) to make their patients wait, so they could charge NFZ more, without pesky limits it usually enforces.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So, which country's election standards must Russia adhere to for theirs to be recognized?

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1094628634009235456

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll have you know that Russian double standards are very high!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So, which country's election standards must Russia adhere to for theirs to be recognized?

"with all consequences arising out of that"

what the gently caress does that even mean?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They can do the thing the world is currently doing with venezuela, where they just decide their guy is now the president.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Does this mean that each Ukrainian oblast has to blatantly fix the votes, or what, I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

Does this mean that each Ukrainian oblast has to blatantly fix the votes, or what, I'm confused.

Ukraine did prohibit Russian observers at their elections, Russia said next day that it will send observers, and 2 hours later that it will not.