Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Destiny 2 had the same content problem that the first had at launch. I am done with games as services. There is no excuse for Anthem launching with the amount of content it allegedly has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually Destiny 2 has been really good for a couple months but I understand that it’s not for everyone. Forsaken really turned the game around at the beginning of winter and Black Armory content launched clumsily over a month ago but turned out to be very good. There’s lots of stuff to do and a lot of it is very fun, and there’s something for everyone.

Destiny 2 did teach me to wait until Anthem is 6 months in and if it’s still a game then I’ll dive in.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hitman 2 is really great, and the fact that we're getting the whole of 1 on tuesday is bonkers to me. There's just so much stuff in there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually Destiny 2 has been really good for a couple months but I understand that it’s not for everyone. Forsaken really turned the game around at the beginning of winter and Black Armory content launched clumsily over a month ago but turned out to be very good. There’s lots of stuff to do and a lot of it is very fun, and there’s something for everyone.

Destiny 2 did teach me to wait until Anthem is 6 months in and if it’s still a game then I’ll dive in.
It shouldn't take 18 months post-release or whatever to make the game right. Especially since Bungie had a lot of similar problems with the first game that they didn't seem to learn from with the sequel.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it's tempting to think that independent Bungie means we're getting Marathon 4 but I bet they're just gonna double down on something even lamer than Destiny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bull3964 posted:

The F-22 is the air superiority fighter the US keeps to itself. The F-35 is the one we export. The F-22 was always meant to be a better air to air fighter than the F-35.

They're both terrible due to cost and the network warfare element of the 35 is brain fart horseshit. Give me five or six dudes in SU-27s for the same price.

E: and enough drones to blot out the sun

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaah, no. A day-one patch is not an "unfinished" game. Developers have a hard date to meet to compile the Gold master and get those discs printing for launch, and once that's compiled they just keep on getting bugfixes done right up until release.

You know what happened before it was feasible to do day one patches? You got stuck with a buggy game forever and hoped the second batch of discs (if it got a second batch) were patched.

This argument isn't as effective when the day one patch is comparable to the size of the game itself.

Though Resident Evil 2 has a small day one patch and is a great game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaah, no. A day-one patch is not an "unfinished" game. Developers have a hard date to meet to compile the Gold master and get those discs printing for launch, and once that's compiled they just keep on getting bugfixes done right up until release.

You know what happened before it was feasible to do day one patches? You got stuck with a buggy game forever and hoped the second batch of discs (if it got a second batch) were patched.

🤔

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like Day 1 Patch complaints are a symptom of people attacking the larger problem with games being released in an unfinished state. Most major releases will have at least some kind of Day 1 update with bug fixes and stability improvements in however many months since the game was printed for disc, and while some people are still morally opposed to downloading anything from the internet in 2019 for whatever reason, if it generally improves their experience they'll be none the wiser. Day 1 patches can't fix an incomplete game though, and while it's the first most visible thing people will point to, it's only an echo of the larger problem (we needed a 20GB patch because this game is basically still in early access).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it's tempting to think that independent Bungie means we're getting Marathon 4 but I bet they're just gonna double down on something even lamer than Destiny.

Oni 2, motherfucker. Konoko is BACK.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

This argument isn't as effective when the day one patch is comparable to the size of the game itself.

Though Resident Evil 2 has a small day one patch and is a great game.

A 20GB patch doesn't necessarily mean 20GB of changes and "unfinished" code though. A big factor in that is in how the game's compiled and what, if anything, in the engine code has changed since the Gold master build. A few function tweaks or object calls (As a loose example; a typo in Save_Typewroter_04, making it crash the game when you try save at a specific Typerwiter because it can't call the function saveGame("Save_Typewroter_04") ) isn't going to be all that major, but when fundamental class changes or optimizations are made (eg; cutting loading times from a minute down to 30 seconds by fundamentally changing how textures are called and stored) it means a good chunk of the game has to be recompiled together to work properly.

It's the price of dealing with 50GB+ games with HD art assets installed to a hard drive.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

cutting loading times from a minute down to 30 seconds

Thank you for reminding me of Bloodborne's launch load times. I remember the hilariously dumb "It's ok because it makes you think about the mistakes you made" excuse being bandied about.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

James Woods Fan posted:

Thank you for reminding me of Bloodborne's launch load times. I remember the hilariously dumb "It's ok because it makes you think about the mistakes you made" excuse being bandied about.

Unfortunately I wasn't on here for the Bloodborne launch but I imagine a lot of "git guds" being thrown out at that complaint

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Apparently there’s no titans or any of the cool movement like wall-running. What the gently caress is the point

Nah, dude, you hosed up reading something wrong

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I can never figure out what puts me off playing Destiny 2; I wouldn't say there's anything offensively wrong with it, but it just sits there in my install folder and I never have the compulsion to play it. The environments are fun, the story is okay, but I just don't find myself rushing to give it a play.

Anthem wasn't offensive either in fairness, it was just very very dull.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm very concerned with load times but the general public seems happy to eat poo poo in this case so I don't expect improvements.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh, Ace Combat 7’s enemy guy who comes out of nowhere periodically to slap you around is also called Mister X

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kilometers Davis posted:

How much ammo should I be saving in RE2 on assisted mode?

Kamiya, who directed the original, saved 94 times in his 15 hour run of leon A. Save whenever you want.

Also you are not unlocking anything on assisted anyway so just have fun.

Edit: wow the coffee hasn't kicked in, somehow read ammo as save. :negative:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I bought the Thrustmaster Hotas 4 and goddamn it makes Ace Combat really fun to play.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The finale of Ace Combat 7 is the biggest gently caress you I’ve come across in a while.

First they expect you to catch two greased pigs on cocaine swinging lightsabers in their mouths.

Then they expect you to catch eight greased pigs.

Then one more greased pig.

Ok you win, whew that felt amazing.

No wait gently caress you now you have to chase a greased pig into a garden hose.

Edit now the pig is crawling up my rear end in a top hat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 3, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

A greased pig with a lightsaber crawling up your rear end in a top hat...that's definitely something from some horrific scifi remake of Trainspotting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok now I’m in a gun fight in a telephone booth

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Ok now I’m in a gun fight in a telephone booth

At least it checkpoints there. The drone also doesn’t dodge poo poo anymore, which makes it a lot easier than it could be.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Planes Vs Tunnels is like the Link Vs Ganon of Ace Combat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vikar Jerome posted:

Kamiya, who directed the original, saved 94 times in his 15 hour run of leon A. Save whenever you want.

Also you are not unlocking anything on assisted anyway so just have fun.

Edit: wow the coffee hasn't kicked in, somehow read ammo as save. :negative:

Yeah reading that I was like hm well thanks for the random RE2/Kamiya facts bud lol

I understand, I’m operating at 50% capacity at the best of times

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Communist Bear posted:

I can never figure out what puts me off playing Destiny 2; I wouldn't say there's anything offensively wrong with it, but it just sits there in my install folder and I never have the compulsion to play it. The environments are fun, the story is okay, but I just don't find myself rushing to give it a play.

Anthem wasn't offensive either in fairness, it was just very very dull.

The game has a very active PC community and the reason I stuck it out is because we have 2-3 goon clans so there’s always someone pretty chill to play with. I know there’s a PS4 clan that plays a lot, but the bottom line is that it’s really not a single player game and I don’t really play it if I’m not in the mood to talk or if my GF is asleep in the bedroom because then I can’t use discord.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Screw this game, I decided to try again tomorrow.

Experienced the Ace Combat 7 version of the Tetris Effect. When I closed my eyes in the shower I almost lost my balance because everything is constantly rocking left and right

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I will never understand people complaining about day 1 patches when we use to wait for PC Gamer to come out to possibly get a disk for the games we have with all the bug fixes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or all the games that are permanently broken because there was no way to patch them at all

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oni 2, motherfucker. Konoko is BACK.

Oni unfortunately no longer belongs to Bungie, it got traded to Take 2. They do still own the Marathon IP so Marathon 4 is not as impossible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

The finale of Ace Combat 7 is the biggest gently caress you I’ve come across in a while.

First they expect you to catch two greased pigs on cocaine swinging lightsabers in their mouths.

Then they expect you to catch eight greased pigs.

Then one more greased pig.

Ok you win, whew that felt amazing.

No wait gently caress you now you have to chase a greased pig into a garden hose.

What the gently caress is this game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rad Valtar posted:

I will never understand people complaining about day 1 patches when we use to wait for PC Gamer to come out to possibly get a disk for the games we have with all the bug fixes.

It does make sense for people who have internet download caps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People in the past?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lobok posted:

It does make sense for people who have internet download caps.

It's simply the nature of the beast for games with 1080p and 4K assets. The reason the "big" patches were much smaller for the X360 and PS3 is most games were anywhere from 1/4 to 10th the size they are now on-average.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Escobarbarian posted:

People in the past?

Canada has maybe the most expensive rates for data for home internet and cell phones in the world. It was actually my PS4 usage that made me upgrade to an unlimited download home internet plan but I had caps before then.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's simply the nature of the beast for games with 1080p and 4K assets. The reason the "big" patches were much smaller for the X360 and PS3 is most games were anywhere from 1/4 to 10th the size they are now on-average.
Actually the reason was Microsoft had a 4MB size limit for 360 title updates for most of its life, but had better delta patching capability at a system level

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the only good "game as a service" thing I've ever played was the Hitman reboot and that one sold badly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I don't have any problem with them, but they have hit the point where they are pretty absurd. My internet sucks right now so I still buy discs and the last 2 Western AAA games I bought had 55 and 70 gig day one patches which is pretty much a 20 hour DL for me. And BLOPS 4 has had consistent 11 gig weekly updates which me put me out of commision for a whole evening every tuesday. It feels like out of touch devs just assuming that downloading 50 gig whenever is nbd and no one has bandwidth caps.

God bless RE2 and it's one time 250 mb update.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Thanks to RE2R, I started up a playthrough or RE4. Haven't played this in about a decade. This is like playing Gears of War compared to RE2. After this, I'll jump into RE6, the only RE mainline game I haven't played through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

God bless RE2 and it's one time 250 mb update.

Physical 4 Eva