Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I think I heard that being homosexual was just decriminalized ten years before monty python aired. I keep telling myself this every time the joke is "that guy is gay, that's the whole joke, that's all they're giving me here"

If it helps, Graham Chapman was gay as hell

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bell jar posted:

The best Python movie is Meaning of Life :colbert:

Every Sperm Is Sacred will never grow old.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019

bell jar posted:

It's definitely not their worst (looking at you, And Now For Something Completely Different). Its weaknesses are inconsistency and lack of a stronger narrative. I would like to have seen some of Eric Idle's ideas come to fruition (a central character's life and death throughout random point of history, making it a full blow musical, ending with Idle's waiter monologue etc). I think it's also their best shot/visually impressive film - and perhaps not coincidentally the one with the least input in that regard from Terry Gilliam (Crimson Permanent Assurance aside).

MisterHutchinson has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Feb 3, 2019

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Krinkle posted:

I keep telling myself this every time the joke is "that guy is gay, that's the whole joke, that's all they're giving me here"
Are you referring to this sketch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVt1EY896cY
I expect many people seeing this for the first time in today's environment would come to the same conclusion.

I think it's more accurate to say their original intention was to make fun of British staid formal self-important attitudes of high office, by portraying them as stereotypical gossiping lower class. Their sketches often attempt to show the absurdness of authority. Even the Silly Walks one could be seen as satirizing useless government bureaucracy. But yeah the Overton window's moved a lot since then, and these days it'd be seen as unnecessarily making fun of gays or transgender people.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's also showing them to be hypocrites. They're taking a swipe at the antigay legal system.

To paraphrase, "Some people do at night what they condemn during the day." etc.

(none of this is subtle, though)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Fifthing the "has aged poorly, like any comedy" comments. I'm not going to condemn it, because I grew up watching MP and the movies, but yeah it's pretty bad in places now. Probably never going to actively seek out and watch them again. However, I really appreciate and recognize their groundbreaking work and influence that lasts in nearly every piece of comedic media to this day.

Like a few pages back talking about Airplane! and Police Academy: great stuff, really tight work, especially for the time. Not my jam anymore, though, and really offensive in a lot of places when viewed with contemporary values. Not necessarily its fault, just nature of the beast.

I tried showing Airplane! to my then-GF a few years ago, where she was pretty woke and I wasn't connected at all to social issues (her: bi minority who didn't really watch anything from pre-2010 due to her upbringing, me: then white dude from a white town who watched 70s-80s films nearly exclusively growing up), and I couldn't understand why she didn't like it. I was completely baffled at her uncomfortable demeanor. Holy poo poo I still feel bad about that night whenever I think about it.

Comedy often relies on social commentary and parody. Society moves on.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Feb 3, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That's why slapstick owns. The Three Stooges and Buster Keaton are still funny as hell because it's just physical humor and gags.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Crimson Permanent Assurance invading the main film two thirds of the way through will never not be funny.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

JebanyPedal posted:

That's why slapstick owns. The Three Stooges and Buster Keaton are still funny as hell because it's just physical humor and gags.

Pretty sure it's almost impossible to find an old comedy sketch crew that didn't do blackface at one time or another. The only one that comes to mind is maybe Laurel and Hardy.

The old comedy is still great, but there are some sketches that obviously do not age well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We will always have Mel Brooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493pL_Vbtnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnF1OtP2Svk

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

The best Python movie is A Fish Called Wanda.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

MisterHutchinson posted:

* Speaking of poorly ageing sketch shows, I was sorting DVD's at my place of work recently when I came across a copy of Little Britain that had David Walliams (for those who don't know, a very, very white man) in full Norbert style blackface and body suit - something that within the last 20 years was not only acceptable to show on British tv, but in fact so acceptable it was used as the main image on the DVD cover. I haven't seen Little Britain, but having seen Walliams on various panel shows I feel safe to assume he didn't give a particular nuanced or empathetic performance...
Walliams made the papers last halloween for going to a party as Kim Jong Un, he clearly wants to be the new Peter Sellers.

While we're on the subject of things not aging well, I remember seeing Short Circuit on tv for the first time since I was a kid and realising Fisher Stevens was in it. :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pretty sure it's almost impossible to find an old comedy sketch crew that didn't do blackface at one time or another. The only one that comes to mind is maybe Laurel and Hardy.

The old comedy is still great, but there are some sketches that obviously do not age well.

Was talking about comedy falling flat due to lack of social or pop culture context for satire or parody, not because of outdated racist jokes.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Queen Combat posted:

I tried showing Airplane! to my then-GF a few years ago, where she was pretty woke and I wasn't connected at all to social issues (her: bi minority who didn't really watch anything from pre-2010 due to her upbringing, me: then white dude from a white town who watched 70s-80s films nearly exclusively growing up), and I couldn't understand why she didn't like it. I was completely baffled at her uncomfortable demeanor. Holy poo poo I still feel bad about that night whenever I think about it
It has been a while since I’ve seen it but I don’t remember anything that awful in airplane. What was offensive?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ The black men who can only speak in jive stands out.

Mazerunner posted:

I'd never noticed the scales being off. I always thought that the joke was that after all that hullabaloo trying to get the woman a trial she'd be sure to pass, she failed anyway. Or something like that. Just the absurdity of a woman weighing the same as a duck.

Yes and no. Trying witches by water was a rigged game; guilty or innocent, if you were accused you died one way or another. When Bedevere reasons the mob out of actually drowning the "witch", you think "Ah, he's a Knight of the Round Table, he's going to save this obviously innocent woman from the superstitious yokels". Then Python subverts that by having it turn out that Bedevere only wants them to play his rigged game instead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

It has been a while since I’ve seen it but I don’t remember anything that awful in airplane. What was offensive?

Absolutely nothing. Airplane is still relevant and funny even though every aspect of air travel depicted is obsolete and completely foreign to younger viewers.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019

Jedit posted:

Yes and no. Trying witches by water was a rigged game; guilty or innocent, if you were accused you died one way or another. When Bedevere reasons the mob out of actually drowning the "witch", you think "Ah, he's a Knight of the Round Table, he's going to save this obviously innocent woman from the superstitious yokels". Then Python subverts that by having it turn out that Bedevere only wants them to play his rigged game instead.

He's not even trying to get them to play a rigged game - he's just that stupid that he believes an even dumber method of trying witches than the yokels. Next time we see him he's midway through explaining to King Arthur why the earth is banana shaped. Blind leading the blind, etc. He's Sir Bedevere the Wise, but in a time where that title doesn't really amount to much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jedit posted:

This was my guess, too. Which is a shame, because it's probably one of the best-constructed jokes in the whole movie (and if you look into behind-the-scenes stories it was absolutely a bit done with love, care and effort on all sides, which is kinda hilarious by itself), but there's no way to look at it now without it being racist.

The pilot constantly coming on to the little kid was probably an off note, too. ...And now that I've started thinking about the movie in this way, there's a lot of jokes in that movie that are such that, if you don't find the concept funny, just come off EXTREMELY weird and possibly offensive. My favorite part of that movie is a domestic argument about an abortion, and if you don't find the leadup to it funny (or miss the leadup in the first place) then that's just strange.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
When you say the scales are rigged, is there a way visually to tell? I youtubed the scene but the quality was so awful that I'm not quite sure what's going on

e: i mean obviously from the results it must be rigged but i don't see how they did it

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Feb 3, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Queen Combat posted:

Like a few pages back talking about Airplane! and Police Academy: great stuff, really tight work, especially for the time. Not my jam anymore, though, and really offensive in a lot of places when viewed with contemporary values. Not necessarily its fault, just nature of the beast.

I really hope you meant Police Squad and not Police Academy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really hope you meant Police Squad and not Police Academy.

Lumping Airplane in there, it has to be Squad.

Right? :ohdear:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Police Academy was good guys.

Airplane also made fun of spousal abuse, suicide, drug addiction, and PTSD in addition to child molestation and stereotypes about how Black people talked. I think the movie's humor is supposed to make you uncomfortable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Police Academy was good guys.

The first Police Academy was genuinely good and the second was OK, but after that they drop off severely. 3 and 4 have a few good jokes at least, but after that you hit the Black Abysm of Suck. Sartre said that Hell is eternity in a room with your friends, but then he had never seen Mission to Moscow.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the running jokes in the Police Academy series, even when it turned PG, is that anyone that finds themselves in the Blue Oyster gay bar will be gang raped to the tune of a French tango song.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I mean the 90's wasn't that long ago and basically every comedy film from that era's twist ending was "and the hot girl has a dick! hahahaha!". Python and Airplane haven't aged that poorly when you think back to what was just around the corner.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

In the German dub of Airplane! they speak exculsively in Bavarian and that's honestly still p. funny today.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That and the jive speakers aren't really the butt of the joke so much as everyone else is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

That and the jive speakers aren't really the butt of the joke so much as everyone else is.

Plus it builds to one of the best gags, an old white lady who also speaks jive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of the running jokes in the Police Academy series, even when it turned PG, is that anyone that finds themselves in the Blue Oyster gay bar will be gang raped to the tune of a French tango song.

it's a drat good song, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoipE_v4nC0

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This probably isn't subtle to anyone, but it's blowing my mind. I have that IMDB app widget and it tells me who celebrity birthdays are today and Warwick Davis is 49 years old. That means he was 13 when he appeared in Return of the Jedi.

I would have assumed Davis was in his 60's by now.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Did everyone miss the joke with the witch where she says "It's a fair cop" thus implying that even though the method was completely backwards and rigged, she actually is a witch?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Absolutely nothing. Airplane is still relevant and funny even though every aspect of air travel depicted is obsolete and completely foreign to younger viewers.
One visual gag that got a really big laugh out of my 12-year-old was all the people lining up for their turn to smack some sense into the hysterical woman--specifically the guy with a gun. Not that a gun or what happens when you use one is funny, but that this guy had a gun on an airplane!!! Now that's ridiculous!*

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Did everyone miss the joke with the witch where she says "It's a fair cop" thus implying that even though the method was completely backwards and rigged, she actually is a witch?

That's what I got out of it. Would need to see it again.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
A few years ago I attended a screening of The Kentucky Fried Movie with the creators, and hooooo boy.... that scene where the "urban stuntman" walks up to a bunch of black guys and yells the N-word? Deathly awkward silence in the audience. Thankfully it was a short sketch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Incidentally, how do we feel about Die Hard 3 these days?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incidentally, how do we feel about Die Hard 3 these days?

Pretty good. Why?

EDIT: so in this version a bunch of Black guys get really upset at the guy who hates everyone.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Feb 3, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yippie ki yay, Mister Falcon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think a PYF TV edits for movies thread would have some legs.

"Everything was working just fine, your honour, until the protection grid was shut off by Wally Wick!"

"Is this true?"

"Yes, your honour, this man is some kind of rodent. I don't know which."

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Queen Combat posted:

Yippie ki yay, Mister Falcon.

I remember the censored Ferris Bueller, "He's so tense that if you shoved a lump of coal up his FIST, in two weeks you'd have a diamond!"

Also, 'this is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Where did you get that beauty scar tough guy, eating pineapple?