Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

uberkeyzer posted:

When Fantasy authors start inserting their own poetry into their novels is when the poo poo really hits the fan.

From there, it's a short step to writing song lyrics. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
“guy” has been gender neutral for like ten years now

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A human heart posted:

malzberg is cool, you read much by him?
Only Herovit's World at the moment. I once found a lovely copy of Beyond Apollo and stupidly bought it for a friend instead of myself. I'll probably order it on AbeBooks tonight or tomorrow, now that I'm thinking about Malzberg again. I have a copy of Galaxies too, but I never got around to reading it because I wanted to read Beyond Apollo first (on the recommendation of the cool weirdo professor who introduced me to Malzberg and gave me the books), and I never got around to getting that because there are too friggin' many books out there.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

uberkeyzer posted:

When Fantasy authors start inserting their own poetry into their novels is when the poo poo really hits the fan.

Hey, it's metrical.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Only Herovit's World at the moment. I once found a lovely copy of Beyond Apollo and stupidly bought it for a friend instead of myself. I'll probably order it on AbeBooks tonight or tomorrow, now that I'm thinking about Malzberg again. I have a copy of Galaxies too, but I never got around to reading it because I wanted to read Beyond Apollo first (on the recommendation of the cool weirdo professor who introduced me to Malzberg and gave me the books), and I never got around to getting that because there are too friggin' many books out there.

the only one i was able to find around here was the men inside which is like a really bleak funny take on the 'shrink people down and send them into a guy's body to treat cancer' sci fi idea. very cool unreliable narration and stuff, although some of his other books sound much wilder(galaxies is supposed to be a novel and a critical essay kind of thing at the same time or something like that).

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
ok i'm normally pretty good at identifying racist fantasy allegories but this one has me perplexed

quote:

Tvlakv was finally waddling up to Kaladin’s wagon with his bucket of water. The portly, brown-eyed man walked with a very faint limp; the result of a broken leg, perhaps. He was Thaylen, and all Thaylen men had the same stark white beards —regardless of their age or the color of the hair on their heads—and white eyebrows. Those eyebrows grew very long, and the Thaylen wore them pushed back over the ears. That made him appear to have two white streaks in his otherwise black hair.
nevertheless i somehow find myself identifying with this imaginary culture and am looking forward to hearing more about how it fits into sandyflan's constructed world, which is so intricate in fabricated political structure that it becomes nonsensical, like the kingdom of the insects

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm only like ten pages into the novel and i've been presented with about twenty named characters and at least five separate nationalities who are all at war with each other. but i have read one hundred years of solitude seven times, a devotion literally nobody else in my world understands, and now i feel like i'm finally facing the enemy i've spent my whole life training for

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i feel obligated to add, i'm enjoying it, in the same way i enjoyed eragon

e: hahaha what the gently caress

quote:

Tozbek was a short man, even-shouldered with Shallan, and he wore his long white Thaylen eyebrows up in a curious spiked pattern. It was like he had two waving fans above his eyes, a foot long each.
e2: presented without comment

quote:

As for his praise of her supposed beauty, she took that for what it was. A kind, if overstated, mark of affection. She was pale-skinned in an era when Alethi tan was seen as the mark of true beauty, and though she had light blue eyes, her impure family line was manifest in her auburn-red hair. Not a single lock of proper black.

pikachode fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 3, 2019

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
what sanderson is trying to do with race and slavery in this book makes me extremely uncomfortable

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Foot-long eyebrows? Are Thaylen actually Mothmen?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Antivehicular posted:

Foot-long eyebrows? Are Thaylen actually Mothmen?
i think that's the image he's going for, yes

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm sorry friends, i made it to the end of part one and now i can go no further. my time is worth more than this!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:rip:

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i read 210 pages out of 1500 (!) and my impressions are as follows

this is initially framed as the story of the ten tenors, who are fated to fight the same war over and over again for thousands of years, spending the time between wars in a vaguely defined hell dimension where they are tortured with burning chains. apparently they took this burden on by choice and can leave any time - which in the prologue nine of them do, leaving the tenth to... actually i don't know how he reacts, i never got that far

we then skip forward 4500 years to the assassination of a king by some guy, who can do something called "lashing" which allows him to change an object's centre of gravity, which basically just means he can send it flying in whatever direction he wants. another type of lashing allows him to fortify an object. another lets him run really fast or something. he runs around killing people with a shardblade, which is like a sword that can cut through anything, and has a gravity fight with the king, who also has a shardblade, and wears a suit of armour complementary to the shardblade, which is called shardplate, and look i just don't care. but the king dies, and that sets off a war between his country and the nation who killed him, who were supposed to be his allies

the nations/cultures presented thus far:

- the alethi. they are a colonising superpower who wear lots of robes and jewels and have mastered some kind of magical superweapon, or multiple kinds, there are so many loving magical superweapons in this book that i just gave up. all have tan skin and black hair, but some have light eyes and some have dark, and the ones with light eyes (called lighteyes) are given high status in society, while the ones with dark eyes (called darkeyes) are a servant caste. the king who got killed is alethi, and so is the armyman protagonist and the redhead. the women keep their left hands covered at all times. much is made of this
- the persh-something. there seem to be two distinct populations of this mysterious race that have little to do with each other; there is a persh-something nation far away, which ordered the assassination of the king and seems to be doing okay for itself, and then there are the pershmen, which are present throughout the text as household slaves and servants, ignored by society and described by the viewpoint characters as docile, silent and bestial. the persh have skin marbled black and red, but they have black eyes, and are obviously meant to be envisioned as black people, and so i did envision them as black people, and it made me think ill of slander hambantam. obviously, they are at war with the alethi
- the eyebrow mothmen. the mental image of this just blew my mind and i cannot handle it. there's absolutely nothing else like it in the book, all the non-mothman human characters are described as dead boring homo sapiens and the setting is standard mirthless renfaire and then i'm supposed to just calmly accept a character with twelve-inch eyebrows that stand up like a fan. i can't do it. i just can't
- veron or viren or something. tbh i can't remember. it's an alethi colony and obviously supposed to be where the white people live, as that's where one of the three protagonists comes from and she's the one who just cannot accept that she's beautiful because of her awful red hair and her dreadful porcelain complexion, so different to the swarthy ideal of alethi beauty
- ninety seven thousand other loving places that have to get offhand references because they're on the map, i don't remember any of them but i'm sure they're all extremely racist

but you don't need to know any of this because the first 200 pages are concerned with two stories, which i will outline after i've had another drink or six. just know there is no such thing as pacing, and heaven is a myth

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bonfire of the Genres: we then skip forward 4500 years to the assassination of a king by some guy

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
oh gently caress it, it is not even worth the time. did this poo poo seriously win the best fantasy book in the world award in 2010? seriously??

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
1500 loving pages jesus christ

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
our hero is an armystrong warrior whose stated motivation is to protect the young soldiers under his care, but whose drive for story purposes is to become a soldier in the king's army for reasons that seem purely based on nationalism and career trajectory. at the start of his tale we are introduced to a callow youth he adopts during a petty skirmish between two landlords, first being encouraged to piss by a gruff older man, then pissing in front of his fellow soldiers, then pissing again in his pants, then admiring our hero and finally being slaughtered by a shardblade samurai. that is the end of the callow youth. our hero is taken into slavery, tries to escape many times and fails every time, but is saved on the brink of despair by a small simple-minded modestly-clothed female fairy that only he can see. as we follow this uninspiring man we are introduced to several thousand named characters, none of whom will ever appear again, and we read about the layout of not just one but several army camps in excruciating detail. i can actually remember nothing that happens to him in the first 200 pages apart from what i've just written here, and i literally just read it

pikachode fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 3, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

But how is the magic system?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But how is the magic system?
It was true; Jasnah really did have a functioning Soulcaster. And a powerful one too. Nine out of ten Soulcasters were capable of a few limited transformations: creating water or grain from stone; forming bland, single-roomed rock buildings out of air or cloth. A greater one, like Jasnah’s, could effectuate any transformation. Literally turn any substance into any other one. How it must grate on the ardents that such a powerful, holy relic was in the hands of someone outside the ardentia. And a heretic no less!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why the gently caress is it called a soulcaster.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why the gently caress is it called a soulcaster.
ask me no more questions about this book. i am going to forget i ever tried to read it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

If I want to attack Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in Book Barn outside of this thread, I am obligated to say that I enjoyed some part of it.

Backhanded and sarcastic compliments to Hitler will be spotted

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Love you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If I want to attack Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in Book Barn outside of this thread, I am obligated to say that I enjoyed some part of it.

everything is true, everything is false

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Maybe you should read some good books and not that fantasy junk you're always posting about

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ras Het posted:

Maybe you should read some good books and not that fantasy junk you're always posting about

This is an amazing point: here is a good place to start

e: lol

quote:

Marco Polo : Now I shall tell you of the beautiful city of Nottingham where the buildings are made mostly of blue glass, onyx and sausagemeat. The men of the city trade in fur, spices and photographs of each other with their respective spouses. All the men have large phalluses, sometimes so large they must cut pieces out of the tops of their front doors before they can exit their houses in the morning. This is a city of dreamers and anthropophagi, of astronomers and chess players, all with the largest of phalluses. The women of the city are the most voluptuous and lively. They wear clothes. Many times I have observed them gambolling and performing handsprings for sheer joy of being in Nottingham. The dogs of Nottingham are all sly and well-read. They play canasta and billiards mostly, but also trade junk bonds and enjoy swapping photographs of the men of Nottingham with their respective spouses. But describing the cats of Nottingham will tax me to the very limit of my powers, O mighty Lord -

Kublai Khan : One moment, Sr. Polo. You will see the sun is high. I must now bathe in Turkish Delight and oxtail soup. We will recommence in the cool of the evening.

Marco Polo : I await your pleasure, my Lord.

Kublai Khan to his chief fixer the Grand Weirdo of All The Kingdoms : Later this afternoon I wish you to tell Sr Marco I have died. Or tell me that he has died. One of the two.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 3, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Dude, I lived in Nottingham for a decade, and no-one plays chess.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

Dude, I lived in Nottingham for a decade, and no-one plays chess.

then perhaps all that marco polos tells us is similarly questionable

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Unreliable penis

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
From now on, we can construe punishable negativity from BotL's failure to post about a particular book.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I notice BravestOfTheLamps has pointedly avoided posting in the Brandon Sanderson thread since he came off probation. Mods???

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I notice BravestOfTheLamps has pointedly avoided posting in the Brandon Sanderson thread since he came off probation. Mods???

I'll pass it up the chain

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Antivehicular posted:

Back in high school, some Internet friends of mine and I found and mocked a very long, overwrought post-apoc Pokemon fanfic. I had the "brilliant" idea to write a parody of it using Homestar Runner characters instead. Luckily, this urge passed, but recently I found an old notebook from that era with a detailed drawing of cyborg Homsar and felt this amazing flood of retroactive shame. kind of ashamed of even writing this post TBH

I just realized that, during the ten years or so I was an :airquote:artist:airquote:, I didn't draw a single piece of fan art I was too concentrated on my all-original fantasy epic graphic novel. Yes, I've read no fantasy in my entire life, but I almost wrote some

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
if only more fantasy writers only fantasized about writing

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lex Neville posted:

if only more fantasy writers only fantasized about writing

I'm sorry, did I imply that I didn't write anything? Because that would be a mistake. If I can decipher my small-type chickenscratch cursive written in faded #4 pencil, survive the embarrassment, find the time to translate it, and lose the last shred of dignity that has kept my magnum opus a secret known to few, I can post excerpts of my sequel to a book that I hadn't written yet (because of course it was planned as a trilogy)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

pikachode posted:

shardplate

lmao

Why is Brandon Sanderson so famous? I literally had someone breathlessly describe one of his books to me the other day and the whole time I was thinking of this thread and here i come to find this treasure of a review

You should try Twitter, I think they have the same rule

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
welcome back brother

pikachode posted:

our hero is an armystrong warrior whose stated motivation is to protect the young soldiers under his care, but whose drive for story purposes is to become a soldier in the king's army for reasons that seem purely based on nationalism and career trajectory. at the start of his tale we are introduced to a callow youth he adopts during a petty skirmish between two landlords, first being encouraged to piss by a gruff older man, then pissing in front of his fellow soldiers, then pissing again in his pants, then admiring our hero and finally being slaughtered by a shardblade samurai. that is the end of the callow youth. our hero is taken into slavery, tries to escape many times and fails every time, but is saved on the brink of despair by a small simple-minded modestly-clothed female fairy that only he can see. as we follow this uninspiring man we are introduced to several thousand named characters, none of whom will ever appear again, and we read about the layout of not just one but several army camps in excruciating detail. i can actually remember nothing that happens to him in the first 200 pages apart from what i've just written here, and i literally just read it

read the rest

e:

poisonpill posted:

Why is Brandon Sanderson so famous? I literally had someone breathlessly describe one of his books to me the other day and the whole time I was thinking of this thread and here i come to find this treasure of a review

vast mormon conspiracy to saturate fantasy's ideological landscape with their sexweird polytheism as an answer to tolkien's catholicism

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 3, 2019

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

However will the people of Book Barn criticize Mein Kampf without your trenchant insights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
bb poster 1: more praise for hitler's literary craft and prose mastery...my weapons are useless against it
bb poster 2: if only i had skimmed the reading for lit 101...if only i hadn't read so many fantasy books...
bb poster 1: will a hero not save us??? *looks to the sky*
botl: *rattling bars in posting jail* you must let me go!!