Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
its not like tbb posters have a long & proud history of praising books with outright fascist and racist themes, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pls stop

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

uberkeyzer posted:

bb poster 1: more praise for hitler's literary craft and prose mastery...my weapons are useless against it
bb poster 2: if only i had skimmed the reading for lit 101...if only i hadn't read so many fantasy books...
bb poster 1: will a hero not save us??? *looks to the sky*
botl: *rattling bars in posting jail* you must let me go!!

Exactly.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

your rap sheet is quite a read

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

uberkeyzer posted:

I can't imagine how dull I'd have to be to post for 13 years without incurring a probation.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If I want to attack Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in Book Barn outside of this thread, I am obligated to say that I enjoyed some part of it.

Backhanded and sarcastic compliments to Hitler will be spotted

quote:

Hieronymus Alloy has given me a mod challenge that obligates me to praise racist and fascist artwork, because they think I'm being too negative. Please understand that I speak under coercion.
lmao

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
[Ed:nm]

uberkeyzer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 3, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

uberkeyzer posted:

lol get a load of this lil bitch

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:laugh:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Why does everyone in TBB post like they're really stupid? Is this the "house style"?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

porfiria posted:

Why does everyone in TBB post like they're really stupid? Is this the "house style"?

Go cry about the sanctity of the white race somewhere else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I found out a dumb mod in a video game forum got mad I was roasting dudes and gave me a probation at 1am and I didn't even notice till I checked my colony entry just now

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bilirubin posted:

Go cry about the sanctity of the white race somewhere else.

Ah, it’s supposed to be funny, I see.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i had strange distressing dreams and woke up in a bad mood all thanks to sanderson. trying to read his novel has upset me on an existential level. how can someone devote so many hours to writing something so utterly dull and lifeless? did he look at the book in his head and think "yes, this is a story that needs to be told?" if he has any passion whatsoever for his work beyond interminable inventories of army camps and magical plate mail and eighty different conlang words that all mean "wizard who shoots lightning bolts from his rear end", it doesn't show. but the sheer amount of keyboard time required to type out 1500 pages suggests that yes, somewhere, deep down, he has a genuine drive to write what he writes, boring though it may be, pointless though it may be, devoid of any spark of joy and humour though it may be. but why?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
it is satan's will

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

it is satan's will
but he's a man of christ

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
can someone who's read the book tell me where he ends up taking the slavery plotline with the parshmen and the parshendi and all the slave traders etc? i try to give authors the benefit of the doubt, but...

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

pikachode posted:

i had strange distressing dreams and woke up in a bad mood all thanks to sanderson. trying to read his novel has upset me on an existential level. how can someone devote so many hours to writing something so utterly dull and lifeless? did he look at the book in his head and think "yes, this is a story that needs to be told?" if he has any passion whatsoever for his work beyond interminable inventories of army camps and magical plate mail and eighty different conlang words that all mean "wizard who shoots lightning bolts from his rear end", it doesn't show. but the sheer amount of keyboard time required to type out 1500 pages suggests that yes, somewhere, deep down, he has a genuine drive to write what he writes, boring though it may be, pointless though it may be, devoid of any spark of joy and humour though it may be. but why?

There's one good scene in the novel. The tired general character uses his super-special warhammer for the purpose of digging a latrine in his camp, which is work usually reserved for slaves. While he does this he contemplates why the gods didn't send more practical devices, like super-special pickaxes, to do mundane laborer's work instead of having such a focus on fighting and killing all the time.

While he does this there's a nice rhythm where the narration sounds the hammer banging between paragraphs of his thought, and everyone looks on thinking a general is crazy for lowering himself to doing menial work.

I read ~900 pgs. of it and that was the only part I liked.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
read the rest of the book

pikachode posted:

but he's a man of christ

hes a mormon and thus a devotee of simon magus, father of all heresies

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

The tired general character uses his super-special warhammer for the purpose of digging a latrine in his camp
botl allegory

read the rest of the book
it's 1500 pages long don't do this to me

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
maybe it gets better

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

maybe it gets better
1500 pages. and that's just part one of however many. i could be reading the talmud instead, or putting my tongue on a battery

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
rear end

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pikachode posted:

can someone who's read the book tell me where he ends up taking the slavery plotline with the parshmen and the parshendi and all the slave traders etc? i try to give authors the benefit of the doubt, but...

A skim of the wiki (because of course there's a loving wiki) tells me that the Parshmen are a form of Parshendi that lack Spren, rending them dullwitted, although exposure to the Worldstorm can turn them into Voidbringers unless they use a Cleanshard to purge the violent Spren and replace them with a Peacespren created when a Sprensmith merges a Blankspren with one of the 16 types of Soulplasm. Of course, the poisoning of the Soulplasm by the Poiseromancers means that Hemiplasm is the only a available Plasmcasting available.

I might have made some of that up.

This is also the second time that Sanderson has had a magically inferior lower caste. Lots of fantasy has a worrying eugenicist undercurrent, but this current isn't exactly under anything.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Parshmen are a form of Parshendi that lack Spren, rending them dullwitted

So... literally a magical version of the Chris Rock "black people and n-words" bit? Jesus screaming poo poo

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Antivehicular posted:

So... literally a magical version of the Chris Rock "black people and n-words" bit? Jesus screaming poo poo
they are explicitly black people, too. most of the other nations seem to be shades of light-to-medium brown (except for the female protagonist, who is a lily-white redhead come to save us all from ourselves) but the magically retarded servant race are definitely stated as black(-and-red, which i guess someone will argue makes them not black at all)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

pikachode posted:

I've never read the Sand Man, but if this is causing you angst I probably shouldn't tell you there are World of Warcraft novels. And people read them.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

porfiria posted:

I've never read the Sand Man, but if this is causing you angst I probably shouldn't tell you there are World of Warcraft novels. And people read them.
most of those novels don't win best fantasy book in the world awards

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

The Parshendi are pseudo-shapeshifters, able to periodically change forms with altered physical and psychological traits. So Warform gives you armoured plates but you'll be poo poo at abstract thinking, Mateform makes you uncontrollable horny. And then there's Genderstereotypeform:

quote:

Nimbleform has only been known to the Parshendi for the last three years. It's a general form that is lithe and careful. It is suited to fine motor skills and capable of scholarship. It is used when caring for young and doing work that requires dexterity. Few were spared this form, though it was more skilled at art. In Nimbleform, females have hairstrands and hints of breasts

This is creepier than loving Bakker.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

holy poo poo, I have a copy of this book somewhere but never bothered to read it and now I feel relieved that I've been saved the trouble.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Parshendi are pseudo-shapeshifters, able to periodically change forms with altered physical and psychological traits. So Warform gives you armoured plates but you'll be poo poo at abstract thinking, Mateform makes you uncontrollable horny. And then there's Genderstereotypeform:

quote:

Nimbleform has only been known to the Parshendi for the last three years. It's a general form that is lithe and careful. It is suited to fine motor skills and capable of scholarship. It is used when caring for young and doing work that requires dexterity. Few were spared this form, though it was more skilled at art. In Nimbleform, females have hairstrands and hints of breasts
This is creepier than loving Bakker.
ahaha what the hell

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
does someone want to invite the brandon sanderson thread in here & have them explain themselves

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Strom Cuzewon posted:

quote:
Nimbleform has only been known to the Parshendi for the last three years. It's a general form that is lithe and careful. It is suited to fine motor skills and capable of scholarship. It is used when caring for young and doing work that requires dexterity. Few were spared this form, though it was more skilled at art. In Nimbleform, females have hairstrands and hints of breasts

This form sounds OP, Sanderson should nerf their Health Points or Charisma.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Whoa how did this get passed over:

quote:

Parshendi females usually have small breasts, except in mateform. Parshendi in mateform have a hard time concentrating on anything productive though they seem to be more able to understand abstract concepts, as compared to Parshendi in warform.[2] Most couples enter the form and sequester themselves away from others for a year, then leave the form immediately after the female gives birth.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
only the fantasy genre allows us to explore the outer limits of the human imagination, like "what if strong but stupid" and "perhaps, racism"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

only the fantasy genre allows us to explore the outer limits of the human imagination, like "what if strong but stupid" and "perhaps, racism"

If someone was strong and smart they would be OP and if they were stupid and weak no one would play them.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm starting to wish i'd kept reading, but please understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

porfiria posted:

Whoa how did this get passed over:

I find Nimbleform way worse, at least Mateform sounds fairly egalitarian. And the idea of a race that has to mutate themselves to reproduce, and then spends a year loving themselves senseless is a hilarious mental image.

Also god these names are boring. Almost like they're video game classes, and not something a real culture would come up with.