Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hey crabman, refer me some crabs to hire

I’m pretty grumpy before my morning coffee. I’m not cheap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There are free bagels in the kitchen area twice a week.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

joat mon posted:

Cool. The technique I used for those pictures is also used to make redeye/Replicant eye pictures. Would you like a spergpost on soapfilm?

Seconding out of curiosity

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

There are free bagels in the kitchen area twice a week.

You had me at free.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

Nice. Yeah you think you have the show figured out then it loving does some crazy left field poo poo on you. Season 2 is supposedly gonna happen also.

Another decent series thats foriegn and weird is Rain.

Ok, just finished this. What a mindfuck, season 2 needs to come out soon.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/marmastry/status/1090974489578356736

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ricky Larkin, His Lover’s Son.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

"You can imagine where it goes from here"

"He becomes the father figure that's been absent from the younger ones life and helps him break into minor league baseball?"

"Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kirk should've done the needful and killed Khan when he first woke up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wtf then we lose the best trek film

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

So, what/how is this beautiful deviltry? Thin film interference.

How to make soap bubble pictures:

Bubbles:
Mix up your own bubbles with dish or laundry soap and water, or use kids' blowing bubbles.
Make about a half cup.
Add a tablespoon or two of glycerin. This makes the bubble last for minutes, rather than seconds. It also slows down the shifting patterns of color a bit.
You're not going to blow bubbles, just let them sit there - technically they're soap film, not bubble, pictures.
Make a soap film holder from a pipe cleaner or a bit of wire coat hanger with paper towel or cloth or foam around it to hold more soap.
Figure out a way to hold the bubble holder up.

Camera: DSLR or a point and shoot that can do macro shots.

Lens: some way to do macro - you can probably do it without a macro lens, but you're going to lose some detail blowing it up.
Most of these pictures were taken with a 50mm lens and 68mm of extension tubes. The first and last were taken with a 18-270mm zoom at 270mm with a Raynox DCR-150 clipon lens (the Raynox gets you 95% of a macro lens for 10% of the price and takes a second to take on and off - get one!)
Don't worry about a fast lens, you won't need one because you'll need to set your f-stop high (small aperture) to get a bigger depth of field.

Light: either a remote flash or continuous lighting or an aimable desk lamp

Optional:
a tripod for the camera
a tripod or stand for the light
A diffuser for the light. If you've got a small soft box, fine, but a piece of printer paper stood off on front of the light source will work too.
A focusing rail for the camera.

Setup: You've essentially got to bounce the light off the soap film into the lens.

What angle AC is doesn't matter, only that angle AB and BC be equal and that line B is perpendicular to the soap film. Everything (lens, light, soap film) needs to be in the same horizontal plane.

Start out with the light a little bit back because you're going to be moving it around at first. Scoot it in closer once everything gets set up.

Get some soap on the holder and set it in place. Now try to get your angles set up. Focus the lens on the soap holder and then angle it down to look at the soap film. You can use a flashlight or smart phone light to get in the ballpark for the angle for the light. Look through the viewfinder. If you see something like this, you're getting close:

Put your light source (and diffuser if you're using one) in the same place and check it by looking through the viewfinder if using light, or taking a picture of you're using a flash.

If it looks like this, you've lost the angle, try again:

Getting there:

Just right:

The difference between the light in this picture and the harsh, ragged 'ballpark' picture above is mostly the difference between the LED light on a phone and diffused light.

Reload the holder with soap and put it back in the same place. Check again for good reflection.
Now set your focus on the edge of the bubble holder, somewhere near the top. If you're using a light, autofocus might work (?) but you'll probably need to use manual focus. Live view might work too, which will ease focusing.
Wait and watch. If you're using a flash, take a picture every few seconds.
It'll start small and slow

And you'll wonder why you went through all this trouble. This is at about 2 minutes in. Just wait a few more seconds.

And so on. These shots were taken over 4 minutes. The picture will change continuously, and you can also pan around the rest of the bubble to look for different patterns. You'll need to continuously fiddle with the focus, particularly if you're panning around.

Advanced technique:
Unfortunately, you'll notice you aren't getting good focus across the whole picture.
Take a look at the angle of the soap film in comparison to the focal plane of your camera. They're not parallel. That means that parts of the soap film are closer to the camera than other parts, and when you're shooting macro, fractions of a millimeter matter for focus.
So how to fix it? In the ABC angle picture, angle AC is about 60°. The more you can shrink that angle, the more of the soap film you can keep in focus. Once you get that angle to zero, you're golden.
Unfortunately, because gear takes up space, it'd be hard to get that angle down to 45, let alone 0.

You can still get that angle to zero, but you'll need one more piece of equipment.:eng101:

A sheet of glass. 5x7 inches will be plenty. The glass from a cheap picture frame is perfect.

This setup is where yesterday's and the bookend pics in this post came from. You need to up the light intensity a little, but it gets you that (optically) 0° angle between light and lens.
Downside: if you're using extension tubes, you're probably going to run out of working distance because of the space the pane of glass takes up.

(This bubble is getting ready to pop)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 2, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Neat, I need to pick up a vintage macro lens. Dunno what's good though, probably either Minolta MD or Canon FD. I have a set of Minolta MD extension tubes somewhere.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress imposter syndrome.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

joat mon posted:

So, what/how is this beautiful deviltry? Thin film interference.

How to make soap bubble pictures:

Bubbles:
Mix up your own bubbles with dish or laundry soap and water, or use kids' blowing bubbles.
Make about a half cup.
Add a tablespoon or two of glycerin. This makes the bubble last for minutes, rather than seconds. It also slows down the shifting patterns of color a bit.
You're not going to blow bubbles, just let them sit there - technically they're soap film, not bubble, pictures.
Make a soap film holder from a pipe cleaner or a bit of wire coat hanger with paper towel or cloth or foam around it to hold more soap.
Figure out a way to hold the bubble holder up.

Camera: DSLR or a point and shoot that can do macro shots.

Lens: some way to do macro - you can probably do it without a macro lens, but you're going to lose some detail blowing it up.
Most of these pictures were taken with a 50mm lens and 68mm of extension tubes. The first and last were taken with a 18-270mm zoom at 270mm with a Raynox DCR-150 clipon lens (the Raynox gets you 95% of a macro lens for 10% of the price and takes a second to take on and off - get one!)
Don't worry about a fast lens, you won't need one because you'll need to set your f-stop high (small aperture) to get a bigger depth of field.

Light: either a remote flash or continuous lighting or an aimable desk lamp

Optional:
a tripod for the camera
a tripod or stand for the light
A diffuser for the light. If you've got a small soft box, fine, but a piece of printer paper stood off on front of the light source will work too.
A focusing rail for the camera.

Setup: You've essentially got to bounce the light off the soap film into the lens.

What angle AC is doesn't matter, only that angle AB and BC be equal and that line B is perpendicular to the soap film. Everything (lens, light, soap film) needs to be in the same horizontal plane.

Start out with the light a little bit back because you're going to be moving it around at first. Scoot it in closer once everything gets set up.

Get some soap on the holder and set it in place. Now try to get your angles set up. Focus the lens on the soap holder and then angle it down to look at the soap film. You can use a flashlight or smart phone light to get in the ballpark for the angle for the light. Look through the viewfinder. If you see something like this, you're getting close:

Put your light source (and diffuser if you're using one) in the same place and check it by looking through the viewfinder if using light, or taking a picture of you're using a flash.

If it looks like this, you've lost the angle, try again:

Getting there:

Just right:

The difference between the light in this picture and the harsh, ragged 'ballpark' picture above is mostly the difference between the LED light on a phone and diffused light.

Reload the holder with soap and put it back in the same place. Check again for good reflection.
Now set your focus on the edge of the bubble holder, somewhere near the top. If you're using a light, autofocus might work (?) but you'll probably need to use manual focus. Live view might work too, which will ease focusing.
Wait and watch. If you're using a flash, take a picture every few seconds.
It'll start small and slow

And you'll wonder why you went through all this trouble. This is at about 2 minutes in. Just wait a few more seconds.

And so on. These shots were taken over 4 minutes. The picture will change continuously, and you can also pan around the rest of the bubble to look for different patterns. You'll need to continuously fiddle with the focus, particularly if you're panning around.

Advanced technique:
Unfortunately, you'll notice you aren't getting good focus across the whole picture.
Take a look at the angle of the soap film in comparison to the focal plane of your camera. They're not parallel. That means that parts of the soap film are closer to the camera than other parts, and when you're shooting macro, fractions of a millimeter matter for focus.
So how to fix it? In the ABC angle picture, angle AC is about 60°. The more you can shrink that angle, the more of the soap film you can keep in focus. Once you get that angle to zero, you're golden.
Unfortunately, because gear takes up space, it'd be hard to get that angle down to 45, let alone 0.

You can still get that angle to zero, but you'll need one more piece of equipment.:eng101:

A sheet of glass. 5x7 inches will be plenty. The glass from a cheap picture frame is perfect.

This setup is where yesterday's and the bookend pics in this post came from. You need to up the light intensity a little, but it gets you that (optically) 0° angle between light and lens.
Downside: if you're using extension tubes, you're probably going to run out of working distance because of the space the pane of glass takes up.

(This bubble is getting ready to pop)

Way too good. Thanks for this.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
did my taxes

this is probably the last year i do them myself

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So has anyone every used a lithium iron phosphate battery in their vehicle before? I needed a new battery for my bike and the polaris one is just pure garbage, 140 bucks, and unavailable because the cold killed a bunch of them. So I went to the local boat store and found something close enough in size, and they call it a LiFePo4, so a lithium iron phosphate I suppose.

I plug the new battery in and the bike has never started so fast before, and the lights have never been so bright without the engine actually running. Being that the battery sits directly underneath my balls I probably should've researched this a little but I was determined to not buy the OEM and here I am. Just wondering if anyone has used them before and if there's any particular oddities to expect.

The only downside so far is that it's about an inch shorter than the OEM and so it's not held in properly by the retention bracket so I'l just 3d print a spacer block to go in there. Oh, and the thing is about a third the weight of the lead acid, which is nice.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

gently caress imposter syndrome.

Best way to beat it is find a career where you're never going to be a superstar and you're always challenged.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

The only downside so far is that it's about an inch shorter than the OEM and so it's not held in properly by the retention bracket so I'l just 3d print a spacer block to go in there. Oh, and the thing is about a third the weight of the lead acid, which is nice.

Just get a 1"x1" and cut your spacer from that. Or use a small spring. There's a million things you could MacGyver a fix with, and you're gonna 3d print the equivalent of a hockey puck?

Just seems like the longest way around.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh, I thought about that, but I can just model up the exact geometry of the top of the battery and make a seat in the spacer for the retention bracket so it just doesn't move. Printing it is easy as poo poo.

If I had taken a photo of it when it was still light it'd make sense. It's a real lovely setup, I assume because ~motorcycle~.

The bracket itself doesn't even clamp properly. The bolt to tighten it down is perpendicular to the clamping force you want, so...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
apparently lithium ion phosphate batteries are very good for automotive things

they don't catch fire like traditional batteries so you won't charbroil your nuts off if you puncture a cell while riding

good job

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Okay, I gotcha on the whys now. Farm kid in me has a hard time rationalizing anything beyond simple solutions or haphazarding poo poo together.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://mobile.twitter.com/asfalcon...Ftwitter.com%2F

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well that's cool to know that I'm not driving around a VBIED aimed at my nut sack so that's pretty neat.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i mean that's a pretty metal way to go

but yeah they're probably the safest batteries you can have upon a bit of research

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ethicsgradient/status/1091779109921812480?s=21

:catstare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What hole do these idiots crawl out of?

quote:

Tesla fan and Model 3 owner. Please consider using my referral code: http://ts.la/#%23%23%23%23%23
California, USA

Oh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Imagine logging on to a social network populated by a world of people and summing up your entire personality as "Tesla fan"

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh man, yesterday I was driving out to the range and some jackass in a new Tesla aggressively passed me in a no passing stretch of road. I was going 65, he was easily going 80+.

Then 10 minutes later, I see that he's been pulled over by the cops.

Sometimes it's the small joys in life.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gat dang my year-long funk appears to have (hopefully not temporarily) broken and i found a rare burst of motivation, i need to take advantage of this poo poo so it doesn't just turn into a fluke

going to spend some of my dragon's hoard of money to begin a self improvement cycle with the end goal of hopefully finding a woman

i haven't seriously dated in 2+ years and i wasn't any good at it in the first place, this should be comedy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

We both know you’re going to do another FO4 run.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well yeah probably, unless another video game appears and occupies my time.

But I've been putting off A LOT of poo poo, both actually important and also trivial bullshit for a long time because I've just had no motivation to do anything. I work, I eat some frozen junk from Trader Joes, I play video games, I sleep, repeat. For about a year, ever since my fiance and I parted ways.

Depression is a motherfucker.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 3, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I know how you feel, vas.

I interviewed for a business development/sales type position for a software company. They’ve been around 26 years and a friend works there so I know it’s not a fly by night type thing. I left a good impression, and may have a gig. Seems like it would be a good fit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I may be in town again soon and I’ve been told I make the worse wingman ever.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

So has anyone every used a lithium iron phosphate battery in their vehicle before? I needed a new battery for my bike and the polaris one is just pure garbage, 140 bucks, and unavailable because the cold killed a bunch of them. So I went to the local boat store and found something close enough in size, and they call it a LiFePo4, so a lithium iron phosphate I suppose.

I plug the new battery in and the bike has never started so fast before, and the lights have never been so bright without the engine actually running. Being that the battery sits directly underneath my balls I probably should've researched this a little but I was determined to not buy the OEM and here I am. Just wondering if anyone has used them before and if there's any particular oddities to expect.

Well we have an LiFePo4 on our FSAE car cranking an R6. It’s a Full Spectrum Pulse P2 and handles it easily. Never had any overheating problems.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know how you feel, vas.

I interviewed for a business development/sales type position for a software company. They’ve been around 26 years and a friend works there so I know it’s not a fly by night type thing. I left a good impression, and may have a gig. Seems like it would be a good fit.

A legal background can progress into compliance/oversight/process improvement without *too* much difficulty, as in subject matter expertise is secondary to management/legal responsibilities. Look into the concepts of "Change Management" if you want to try and jump on the next big corporate buzzword.

You would be surprised at how many organizations across every discipline imaginable need someone to say 'hold the gently caress up, what are we doing, why are we doing it, and how are we getting there'

LingcodKilla posted:

I may be in town again soon and I’ve been told I make the worse wingman ever.

I'm not nearly at a level where I'm comfortable interacting with random women in a bar, but let me know if you're in town.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

M_Gargantua posted:

Well we have an LiFePo4 on our FSAE car cranking an R6. It’s a Full Spectrum Pulse P2 and handles it easily. Never had any overheating problems.

Yeah, today I went out and I always thought my starter to be a little anemic, but it fired up hard as hell no problems. I haven't even charged it, it just came out of the box like that. I don't think they'd bother charging it much just to ship. Got back, cool as a cucumber.

A+++ would spurn OEM batteries again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

But I've been putting off A LOT of poo poo, both actually important and also trivial bullshit for a long time because I've just had no motivation to do anything. I work, I eat some frozen junk from Trader Joes, I play video games, I sleep, repeat. For about a year, ever since my fiance and I parted ways.

Little things help. I gave up coffee back in December after having way too many anxiety attacks. No caffeine helped me a lot keep a clearer head.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Vasudus posted:

I’m just razzing you dude. I genuinely and earnestly wish you luck, you (and this applies to all you mother fuckers itt) deserve to be happy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I'm not nearly at a level where I'm comfortable interacting with random women in a bar, but let me know if you're in town.

Me neither! Mostly because I’ve been married for 20 years and plan on staying that way.
However talking about the finer points of a FO4 survival run and eating fine food is my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Lingcodkilla wouldn't come rescue me from honey boo-boo. Instead he thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Horrible wingman.