Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly singling out the player character as some special scion from whence all the fate of the world springs feels dumb to me. Yes, it's technically true, especially in a videogame like this where you get to choose the fate of the world, but really homing in on it just highlights the fact that all the world is just a dumb videogame centered around the player. Ulysses might as well be giving diatribes on the existence of a HUD.

Especially if you're calling out the player on being a shithead, get them on something they actually did instead of making up some crazy poo poo that still the player character wasn't responsible for before being taken control of by the player.

And then when you take your mind away from the weird narrative, the whole area is just another demolished ruin in a game about demolished ruins. Woo, this time the zombies ghouls are red for...reasons. Oh hey, also you got some gophers that maybe will destroy the whole world, but there's nothing you can do about them, don't worry about it. Also a gimmick where you blow up nuclear warheads that apparently don't have payloads worth a drat. Whee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly singling out the player character as some special scion from whence all the fate of the world springs feels dumb to me. Yes, it's technically true, especially in a videogame like this where you get to choose the fate of the world, but really homing in on it just highlights the fact that all the world is just a dumb videogame centered around the player. Ulysses might as well be giving diatribes on the existence of a HUD.

Especially if you're calling out the player on being a shithead, get them on something they actually did instead of making up some crazy poo poo that still the player character wasn't responsible for before being taken control of by the player.

And then when you take your mind away from the weird narrative, the whole area is just another demolished ruin in a game about demolished ruins. Woo, this time the zombies ghouls are red for...reasons. Oh hey, also you got some gophers that maybe will destroy the whole world, but there's nothing you can do about them, don't worry about it. Also a gimmick where you blow up nuclear warheads that apparently don't have payloads worth a drat. Whee.

I think you missed the point of the entire conversation that just took place

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly singling out the player character as some special scion from whence all the fate of the world springs feels dumb to me.

Well, yeah. That's the point. That's the mistake Ulysses was making. He thought you were some part of some grand plan, some great design, when all the Courier did was a job. They were hired to deliver something, to a podunk town in the middle of nowehere that they went to once and never visited again, and that's what they did. But the consequences qere so great, so life-changing to Ulysses, that he had to find some kind of meaning or go openly insane. Yet in doing so, he quietly went mad.

Besides, it's not as if the Courier doesn't already have a backstory themselves anyway- this is just one part of it that's come to bite them in the butt. I also think the fact that it springs up out of nowhere is kind of the point, as again, it's Ulysses trying to squeeze some semblance of meaning from an event that was for all intents and purposes a tragic accident.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the point is that Ulysses is pointing the finger in the wrong place. The Courier ultimately has absolutely nothing to do with what happened to Hopeville beyond incidentally delivering a package exactly like the dozens or hundreds of others they did. The NCR is the one actually responsible, but that doesn't fit Ulysses' crazy world view and obsession with symbols and the Old World enough. He's decided that someone who was in fact pretty unimportant in the scheme of things and could have been interchangeable with any number of other people for the same job is actually the secret to everything, made this unassuming person the key to deciding the fate of the Mojave, and invited them to his final judgement of mankind's sins.

And the Courier shows up and is just "....what the gently caress?"

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Ulysses is a very "avellone" character, and if you know what that means, you'll already know if you hate him or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't hate Ulysses, but I pity him. He's so wrapped up in believing symbolism over people that he can't see what's in front of him. Everything is abstracted into ideas and metaphors and he is mentally incapable of separating a person's actions and words from the symbols he applies to them.

Thankfully Avellone at least gave us the option to tell Ulysses he's an idiot and we're coming to shoot him with an anti-material rifle. That, and I did like how you had more than one option to talk him down if you didn't have max speech.

He's not a poorly written character, but Avellone's intent with Ulysses misses the mark and Ulysses comes off as something else entirely. I feel Avellone wanted to make him this deeply poetic character with many insights, but instead he comes across as a horribly misguided fool too stubborn and incapable to see how loony he's gone. And sadly you can't call him out for that. You can either play his game and debate who knows their history better, or you say "lol nope" and blast his head off.

He's no Kreia.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

megalodong posted:

Ulysses is a very "avellone" character, and if you know what that means, you'll already know if you hate him or not.

Any other examples of 'Avellone' characters? I'm curious now if I can find the resemblance in them.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

TigerXtrm posted:

Any other examples of 'Avellone' characters? I'm curious now if I can find the resemblance in them.

Short list of characters he had a major role in designing: Rose of Sharon Cassidy, Kreia from KOTOR 2, Durance and Grieving Mother from Pillars of Eternity, plus several characters in Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment and NWN 2 that I'm probably forgetting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently he did some writing for FTL: Advanced Edition? I don't know what though.

CommissarMega posted:

Well, yeah. That's the point. That's the mistake Ulysses was making.

I guess there's the distinction between "this idea is dumb, I don't like the character whose mouth it's coming out of" and "this idea is dumb, I don't like the writer who came up with it and acted like it was a thing that made sense for a person to say." I guess the biggest aspect is that Ulysses isn't particularly depicted in other respects as some kind of weird idiot. He was traipsing around the other DLCs as some kind of clever guy, outsmarting whatever forces trapped the courier and acting as a major catalyst. It sure seems like the writer thought the screeds were something worth listening to, and that Ulysses's account was at least supposed to be plausible. You're given the option to disagree with his end conclusion, but not particularly his lines of reasoning.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Short list of characters he had a major role in designing: Rose of Sharon Cassidy, Kreia from KOTOR 2, Durance and Grieving Mother from Pillars of Eternity, plus several characters in Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment and NWN 2 that I'm probably forgetting.

Man, I remember Kreia being kinda hit and miss for me, but various factors I never ended up playing through her endgame screed more than once. Kotor 2 also did that thing of sticking actions into the player character's past without telling you about it first.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Stubborn idiots with really bad ideas and praxis?

I'm only familiar with Ulysses, tho.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they're people who are awful but you can't tell them to shut up because then you wouldn't see all the purple prose chris wrote about how you are the real bad guy if you think about it

like, it's pretty loving telling that all the other companions in pillars have quests where you do stuff, but chris's characters have quests where you read 1000 pages of drivel instead

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I like Cass. :(

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

corn in the bible posted:

they're people who are awful but you can't tell them to shut up because then you wouldn't see all the purple prose chris wrote about how you are the real bad guy if you think about it

like, it's pretty loving telling that all the other companions in pillars have quests where you do stuff, but chris's characters have quests where you read 1000 pages of drivel instead

I liked Durance since he was such a cantankerous rear end in a top hat, but Grieving Mother was an absolute chore to deal with.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually like Cass and how much of a mess she is.

Her assuming my gay male character was hitting on her only to get shot down and her awkward reaction is one of my favorite moments in gaming.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shhh... we're hunting shitheads.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was Atton Rand written by someone else or was he another Avellone creation? I love Kreia but Atton is probably my favourite character in both of the KOTOR games. (HK-47 is great but he only becomes truly great in 2 when he's audibly uncomfortable with being a servant to a meatbag)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, I remember Kreia being kinda hit and miss for me, but various factors I never ended up playing through her endgame screed more than once. Kotor 2 also did that thing of sticking actions into the player character's past without telling you about it first.
As someone just playing through KOROR2 for the first time, holy poo poo is Kreia ever an Avellone character and I hate her so much.

E: and Durance is an ok idea ruined by his huge misogyny

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As someone just playing through KOROR2 for the first time, holy poo poo is Kreia ever an Avellone character and I hate her so much.

E: and Durance is an ok idea ruined by his huge misogyny

perhaps you are the one who you hate so much. makes u think

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SlothfulCobra posted:

He was traipsing around the other DLCs as some kind of clever guy, outsmarting whatever forces trapped the courier and acting as a major catalyst.

So you're saying that his actions observed from a distance made him seem to the Courier like more grand and important symbol than he really was?

Also intelligent and capable people are perfectly capable of turning their skills towards stupid goals they've become obsessed with.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Would not surprise me if Ulysses is a Flat Earther.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I’m playing Lonesome Road right now and yes, you can both tell Ulysses “I don’t care, shut up” every time he interrupts to rant at you through ED-E and also call him crazy for trying to blame you for a complete accident. Ulysses’ only justification for it is telling you that you made the choice to do these innocuous things that you never could have know the consequences of instead of just staying home and doing nothing, which the Courier can rightly call him out for.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't hate Ulysses, but I pity him. He's so wrapped up in believing symbolism over people that he can't see what's in front of him. Everything is abstracted into ideas and metaphors and he is mentally incapable of separating a person's actions and words from the symbols he applies to them.
Well that makes him seem like one of those people who posts videos about the new blockbuster and what every little detail in the trailer means.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

Well that makes him seem like one of those people who posts videos about the new blockbuster and what every little detail in the trailer means.

Well not everyone can deliver the Top Ten Facts YOU didn't know about DARTH VADER'S SUIT.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

OldMemes posted:

It was an accident. The wrong package went to the wrong place and the wrong thing happened.

If I'm diving into full-tilt crazy on my own side of it, I'd say the Brotherhood did it because they couldn't spare guys to guard the place, and couldn't risk it falling into the wrong hands. That they didn't stick the landing fits their recent profile.

That said, 'wrong package to the wrong place' seems pretty on the nose for what went down. I can get behind the whole 'you made this place IT IS YOUR HOME' nonsense being a fanfic fever dream Ulysses is just taking as god's own gospel, but 'you just happen to deliver a device that sets off a nuclear weapon' feels like a(/yet another) bridge too far.

I think I already said in the main Fallout/now currently FO76 thread, besides, that Lonesome Road should have been tied to the main plot, or should have been part of the base game, because of one element that will continue to bother me to this day. And rather than reiterate, I'll just repost:

Old Boot posted:

I wasn't especially thrilled with [seeing nukes get fired] in Lonesome Road, either. Firing off the nukes in that DLC was (or should have been) such a game-changer for the war as a whole that it barely being addressed felt like whiplash. If you go the 'nuke both sides' route, you've effectively annihilated the major supply routes of the two headlining factions, an act which has zero consequences except a wrist-slap karma hit, and a couple new areas to fart around in.

That kind of devastation should have really been a main-game element that had an actual impact, given the strategic value of the strikes, but it goes over like a wet fart.

I'd heard they couldn't make DLC that actually affected the main game for reasons, but holy poo poo, I decided to see what happened when you took this option and-- well. Yeah. Its inclusion feels like a huge misstep, and represents an enormous amount of lost potential.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well not everyone can deliver the Top Ten Facts YOU didn't know about DARTH VADER'S SUIT.

The Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center is a powerful and poignant entry into the greater star wars universe

Ulysses is 100% saved by his voice actor who i would listen to reading anything

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had no idea that cass was written by avellone. man can really write a character I dislike. That’s almost a skill in itself. When he writes a character to be “unlikable” I feel as though that’s more memorable than just existing as a smoothed down boring blob of a person. Makes them feel more like people. I guess that’s why he’s hit or miss for most people, but playing PoE2 I feel his absence especially with some of the bog standard companions.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Old Boot posted:

If I'm diving into full-tilt crazy on my own side of it, I'd say the Brotherhood did it because they couldn't spare guys to guard the place, and couldn't risk it falling into the wrong hands. That they didn't stick the landing fits their recent profile.

That said, 'wrong package to the wrong place' seems pretty on the nose for what went down. I can get behind the whole 'you made this place IT IS YOUR HOME' nonsense being a fanfic fever dream Ulysses is just taking as god's own gospel, but 'you just happen to deliver a device that sets off a nuclear weapon' feels like a(/yet another) bridge too far.

I think I already said in the main Fallout/now currently FO76 thread, besides, that Lonesome Road should have been tied to the main plot, or should have been part of the base game, because of one element that will continue to bother me to this day. And rather than reiterate, I'll just repost:

I'd heard they couldn't make DLC that actually affected the main game for reasons, but holy poo poo, I decided to see what happened when you took this option and-- well. Yeah. Its inclusion feels like a huge misstep, and represents an enormous amount of lost potential.

It's especially funny that if you do this before getting the reputation reset after the first act of the game, both sides are just like "Yeah it's cool we forgive you."

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

aniviron posted:

It's especially funny that if you do this before getting the reputation reset after the first act of the game, both sides are just like "Yeah it's cool we forgive you."

I know I'd want a person who can launch a nuke on my side.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, someone unstable enough to actually use nukes is a great candidate for induction.

The tough part is not launching the nukes, all it takes is a button press.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My first time, I thought the button said “lunch”

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pretty sure Stephen heck was avellone right

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Pretty much. After playing through Lonesome Road yesterday, the interpretation of him as just a sad crazy person makes a lot more sense and is now seeming intentional. He can't come up with any more justification other than "You could have just done nothing, therefore you made these choices and it's your fault. No, I don't care that you never could have known what the consequences were, it's your fault for being curious." Every time he interrupts you, you can immediately take a dialogue option where you tell him that you don't give a poo poo about his rambling and just want to know what monstrosities you need to kill next to get to him. When you meet him, you can cut off his dramatic meeting from the very start and shoot him in the face instead of bothering to engage him.

That's also why it takes a Speech of 100 to talk him down: you can't exactly tell a crazy guy that they're crazy and expect them to snap out of it. You need to actually be able to challenge his delusions in a way that his broken brain acknowledges.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much. After playing through Lonesome Road yesterday, the interpretation of him as just a sad crazy person makes a lot more sense and is now seeming intentional. He can't come up with any more justification other than "You could have just done nothing, therefore you made these choices and it's your fault. No, I don't care that you never could have known what the consequences were, it's your fault for being curious." Every time he interrupts you, you can immediately take a dialogue option where you tell him that you don't give a poo poo about his rambling and just want to know what monstrosities you need to kill next to get to him. When you meet him, you can cut off his dramatic meeting from the very start and shoot him in the face instead of bothering to engage him.

That's also why it takes a Speech of 100 to talk him down: you can't exactly tell a crazy guy that they're crazy and expect them to snap out of it. You need to actually be able to challenge his delusions in a way that his broken brain acknowledges.

Talking him down is great because it involves you the courier making yourself vulnerable to Ulysses. You tell him that you are willing to die just for his sake.
Then you both stand against the marked men flooding in from the Divide. :black101: :h: :blastu:

e;

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 4, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
The problem with Avellone characters like Ulysses and Kriea is that Avellone turns them into mouthpieces for his opinions on a particular franchise instead of just being characters; it's part of why you can't argue with them. Sure, you can tell them that you disagree, or tell them to shut up, but that's not the same as saying something meaningful to refute their ideologies. This wasn't such a big problem with KOTOR 2 when it was released (random aside that everyone should read Scorchy's LP at some point) since I guess the extended universe had room to talk about the ideologies of the Jedi and Sith, but Fallout was about how society rebuilt itself in different ways after a nuclear war, not how the light and dark sides of force fought huge wars just to keep itself in balance. Furthermore, New Vegas puts a spotlight on the war around Hoover Dam and the player's part in it, while in KOTOR 2 the whole war is mostly in the background. A character like Ulysses just feels out of place in New Vegas, and trying to retcon in a personal conflict between Ulysses and the player character who had no backstory before fell flat on face for me. And even if Ulysses says things about the different factions values and ideologies, it doesn't change the fact that he just wants to nuke everything to start over, or that actually doing so doesn't really change much in the base game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a hot take. If you're lucky it'll blow somebody's mind man, if you're not so lucky, maybe they just don't get it and they'll respect you for having so many words in you. If you take into account that somebody could possibly understand everything and comprehensively disagree, then it stops being a hot take.

Honestly to me the pinnacle of that sort of thing where you have to wade through a whole diatribe to helplessly deal with the dumb conclusion is Bioshock Infinite's ending, which still gets me angry even now. Kreia makes wild leaps of logic (and her arguments rely on specific directorial choices that I felt brought down the game as a whole) but she still gets like a C for effort. I think the game's at least a B before you get to the half-finished slog of Malachor V.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Not being able to call him out for being on Team Rapist/how badly that wrecks his arguments and credibility was more than moderately annoying, too.

I mean, cool, you're not with the war-mongering slavers hellbent on subjugating and dehumanizing half the population anymore. Tell me why I should listen to you? Because you suddenly grew a conscience, but only after serving one of the most reprehensible factions I've ever seen in a game? lol, nah, try again. Get the XP for talking him down, then murder the gently caress out of him as backpay for not dying with dignity when he had the chance.

EDIT: Being a little less glib about it, if this was meant to be a (really circuitous) 'redemption' arc for a formerly Legion character, it missed every mark, and did so aggressively. Like, I can get the impetus behind wiping the slate clean when you come to grips with the fact that you, yourself, contributed more than a little to pointless human suffering, but he's instead obsessively projecting that guilt onto someone else (the Courier), assuming it exists, and I don't get the sense that he actually feels all that guilty/angry about what the Legion did. Or, if he did, it was buried in a Legion playthrough, which, lol, no thanks, and there was absolutely no room to point that out to him. Assuming that was in any way buried in his narrative. If it had been, it might have been a tad more compelling (but I still would have killed him).

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 5, 2019

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Of all the reasons to hate about Ulysses this is the weirdest. All the men are slaves just as much as the women. His tribe got razed and taken captive it’s not like he asked to join. He probably realized their hypocrisy early on which is why he pushed to become a frumentari. I could understand this point if we got the original Ulysses where he was “the legion mouthpiece” but if you’re gonna blame that on him might as well blame the pc for leaving Caesar alive when you meet him the first time. There’s plenty of reasons to hate him but this one rings a little hollow.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Still better than most characters you'll encounter in Fallout 3. Goddamn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Legion broke Ulysses, and he'd been living in denial of that fact for years until the White Legs tried to "honour" him by adopting his Twisted Hairs braiding and it all came rushing back to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Old Boot posted:

Or, if he did, it was buried in a Legion playthrough, which, lol, no thanks,

if only you knew the power of the dark side