Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Thinking of buying a new Tacoma...Am I crazy?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/amii8v/thinking_of_buying_a_new_tacomaam_i_crazy/

quote:

I'm a military guy 20 years old married, income is $5500 a month we spend $2700 for food, rent, & utilities each month and another $150 for internet and car insurance and have saved $15k.

My old Jeep has 300,000 miles on it now and still runs pretty strong but It's starting to get to that time of where I need to get a different vehicle. I really want a Truck and I've been eyeing Tacoma's because they hold their value really well and are known to be very reliable. Only requirements are that the truck is a crew cab V6, and it is 4WD because of the snow.

I really want to buy one truck now pay it off before my contract is up and stick with that vehicle like I did my jeep for many years to come. I've had my jeep since I was 14 years old and even when I got it then it was a older with high mileage. Jeep probably could sell for $1500 maybe $2000 since it has nicer tires, engine looks clean, and the exterior and interior is in great condition.

I've been making payments on credit cards for the last couple years and never missed any payments. My credit score is 720, and my history is some furniture and mainly just gas/groceries nothing huge.

My wife's car is completely payed off and is a much newer, and safer car which will last for some time. She is currently in school and will finish with no student loans in 2 years (Her parents committed to & are paying her college all the way through).

Would think of buying used but everything I've seen is only a few thousand off of a new truck and at that point I know what I'm getting and what's been done to the truck. Current truck I am looking at is $33,000 on their website so I'm not sure what I could talk them down to OR what fee's would be added & of course taxes.

They also have a few offers on 0.9% APR but I'm not 100% sure I would qualify for that but my father did say he would co-sign and he has very solid credit. I should also add that my wife will be working part time soon at about $1500 a month.
At $5.5k or soon to be $7k/mo, it isn't the worst decision ever. I was thinking it was going to be someone in the military with like $3k/mo of income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

All of this gun talk is boring as gently caress, but how the hell is that gun on the roof of the car not going to slide around while driving? Maybe they drilled some small depressions on the roof?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SiGmA_X posted:

Thinking of buying a new Tacoma...Am I crazy?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/amii8v/thinking_of_buying_a_new_tacomaam_i_crazy/
At $5.5k or soon to be $7k/mo, it isn't the worst decision ever. I was thinking it was going to be someone in the military with like $3k/mo of income.

At least it is a Tacoma, also.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BlackMK4 posted:

At least it is a Tacoma, also.

Yeah, nothing about that post yells BWM to me. The truck's new price is slightly high for his income, but not awful when you factor in the wife's potential later income and dad's potential help in securing an attractive APR.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah, nothing about that post yells BWM to me. The truck's new price is slightly high for his income, but not awful when you factor in the wife's potential later income and dad's potential help in securing an attractive APR.

And for a 20 year old soldier he's absolutely top 1% in money management skills. He might even be able to keep the truck and stay solvent after his upcoming divorce.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The missing thing is where he mentions he's been making payments on credit cards for years and never missed a payment, but does not mention how big his outstanding balance is or what APR he's paying.

But with $15k savings at age 20 he's waaaay ahead of the game and can probably afford that truck and will get a decent deal too.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I'm just gonna post the title on this one.

Father of 2 babies, combined income of 39k a year in high COL city. Wife has over 100k+ of student loans (5 different private/federal combo) for a worship music degree (singing /piano) she's never been able to find work for.

A couple details: the babies were supposedly accidents on a failed IUD, and the wife's parents are pissed off that they're having to pay for these student loans they co-signed for.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
:wtf: is a worship music degree?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

howdoesishotweb posted:

:wtf: is a worship music degree?

Mega churches are big business. You can get degrees for all sorts of aspects of them.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Worship-Pastor-Salary

Pretty sure if you want to mine the depths of BWM you will find a rich rich vein in 'Prosperity Theology' stories.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Mega churches are big business. You can get degrees for all sorts of aspects of them.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Worship-Pastor-Salary

Pretty sure if you want to mine the depths of BWM you will find a rich rich vein in 'Prosperity Theology' stories.

Scientology is cheating in this thread, or no?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Scientology is cheating in this thread, or no?

Depends on if you're victim or clergy, I'm sure everyone would appreciate hearing how Hubbard's grandkids' horses thought of Xenu and died.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Depends on if you're victim or clergy, I'm sure everyone would appreciate hearing how Hubbard's grandkids' horses thought of Xenu and died.

Woooow. Has that happened?

Poor Tom. Told Siri he loved her, robot broke his heart.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I had a close friend who became a Scientologist die because he stopped taking his meds.

He suddenly became a hard liner against medicine. Went out to stage 4 Brain cancer at 34 years old.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

I was about to post the same thing. I can't remember anybody's goddamn birthday but as soon as I read no clip this popped into my head.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm really surprised by two accidental births on an IUD. Those things are second only to sterilization.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To be fair it was only one accidental birth, since OP says the kids were twins.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

SpelledBackwards posted:

Buying a bunch of crap is ridiculous to go hunting once, ever. Sidle up and make friends with someone who can bring you along on a hunt and will lend you gear or weapons, and pay more than your share for food, lease, transportation, lodging, etc. in return. And promise not to bitch about getting up early or going out in the cold.

Then if you enjoy it, you can look at whether you want to :homebrew: get into a new hobby :homebrew:

(Autocorrect almost had me writing "get into a new chubby", which isn't too far off the way some people spend on something they just decided to pick up).

Also, how embarrassing to rock up to any new hobby with brand-new gear. Nobody respects “all gear no idear.”

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Let’s all stop making terrible self-posts and take a moment to savor how truly glorious this story is.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SpelledBackwards posted:

Buying a bunch of crap is ridiculous to go hunting once, ever. Sidle up and make friends with someone who can bring you along on a hunt and will lend you gear or weapons, and pay more than your share for food, lease, transportation, lodging, etc. in return. And promise not to bitch about getting up early or going out in the cold.

Then if you enjoy it, you can look at whether you want to :homebrew: get into a new hobby :homebrew:

(Autocorrect almost had me writing "get into a new chubby", which isn't too far off the way some people spend on something they just decided to pick up).

To be fair, aside from guns, ammo, and camo a lot of hunting gear overlaps with camping gear.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Staryberry posted:

Let’s all stop making terrible self-posts and take a moment to savor how truly glorious this story is.

oh please, as if that guy didn't just fake his death and is preparing to scam the money away

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
So, depending on how much the dead body double cost in India, it's a GWM move for him?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Sloth Life posted:

I'm really surprised by two accidental births on an IUD. Those things are second only to sterilization.

Guy is posting for a friend so I wouldn't be surprised if someone who has a degree in worship music wasn't actually using birth control. He says that even iuds have an error margin, not necessarily that they were using an iud.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is it normal for a 20 year old in the army to be pulling in $5500/month?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is it normal for a 20 year old in the army to be pulling in $5500/month?

Depends where they live, as I’m guessing he’s factoring BAH into it. As an E-4, he’s probably bringing in 2500/month in actual pay but maybe an extra 3k for housing if he’s somewhere like Boston or San Francisco.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 3, 2019

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

hopefully they ship his rear end to BFE and he takes a paycut

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
Bad With Money: TFR Edition

Working part-time at a local gun shop in exchange for free transfers. And then helping the shop out by buying a bunch of guns on credit to sell at an upcoming show, selling two, and keeping the rest for yourself.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do transfers vary in cost by region? I've got a kitchen table FFL in my area that only charges $15 because he wants to see neat guns and meet interesting people.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yes. In California, $100 is normal once you factor in state fees. They also collect sales tax.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh hey I didn't notice that one of my favorite threads in all of SA got rebooted for the new year. And it's in TFR for a while, hooray!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do transfers vary in cost by region? I've got a kitchen table FFL in my area that only charges $15 because he wants to see neat guns and meet interesting people.

Yeah, they vary big time. I'd say the average around me is $35 or more. Also, some SOTs charge ridiculous fees to transfer NFA items.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

nwin posted:

Depends where they live, as I’m guessing he’s factoring BAH into it. As an E-4, he’s probably bringing in 2500/month in actual pay but maybe an extra 3k for housing if he’s somewhere like Boston or San Francisco.

Wow, I guess enlisting is very GWM if you can put up with all the military stuff and possibly being transferred to some hellhole like Iraq or North Dakota.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

nwin posted:

How'd this 20 year old make E4 is my question.

E: nm Army

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 3, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

How'd this 20 year old make E4 is my question.

E: nm Army
Pretty sure you can get E-3 out of basic and then get promoted within a couple of years.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

Pretty sure you can get E-3 out of basic and then get promoted within a couple of years.

I was thinking of USAF, where you need like 3 years in service before you can promote even if you enlist at e-3.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
who would like to buy some bullets? only a buck a round!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Their gas powered BB guns cost more than the car. This is GWM with respect to cars.

Herr Tog posted:

who would like to buy some bullets? only a buck a round!

Too much hassle to get a firearms license for a pistol where I live. I'll stick to BB guns like the guys in that car.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Crypto exchange founder/CEO dies. Now the exchange can't access any of its coins in cold storage, because only he knew the password.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In one of the bitcoin threads someone shared a report that value is being moved out of those wallets already.:can:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

In one of the bitcoin threads someone shared a report that value is being moved out of those wallets already.:can:

Citation Needed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

H110Hawk posted:

Citation Needed.

So yeah, seems like yet another crypto CEO taking the cash and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

END ME SCOOB posted:

So yeah, seems like yet another crypto CEO taking the cash and running.

Good IMO