Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just posted in the Weekly Release thread, and then did a scroll back to find out when the last issue of Aftershock's Relay was. The last post of that was back in the end of August. For something that was a Free Comic Book Day #0 back in May, I'm surprised they already stumbled to ship on #4. On Aftershock's website there's a listing for 4 which was supposed to come out in October. It has a link to it on Comixology, which now says February. I imagine it's going to go on my pile of "comics that never finished" right next to Flavor and Trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Has anyone tried out TKO's miniseries?
I've read the first issues and all of them were interesting. Curious which ones can stick the landing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really like most of what I've read from Mags Visaggio but I'm not entirely sold on Sex Death Revolution yet. The first issue was solid but felt like it was treading ground very similar to Phonogram, and this week's issue took a well-executed but very creepy and uncomfortable turn that has me sort of cautious. I'm going to stick with it because it's very pretty and again, Visaggio is a really good writer in my opinion, but I don't know how invested I am. Is anyone else reading this?

Edit: Tagged for both spoilers and I suppose a tw for sexual assault, sort of: as far as drawing parallels between sexual violence and improperly used magic, especially vis-a-vis coercion, I certainly like it better than almost any of Alan Moore's endless reiterations of the theme over the past 20 years, but that doesn't mean I like it. As horror writing it works marvelously, but I don't know if I want this book to be that kind of horror book, you know? It feels familiar by now, and just an easy way to show horrible people being horrible. I don't know much about Visaggio's principles as a writer, but like, I always feel like Moore's uneasy sex stuff, at the bottom of it all, is true to his own deeply held beliefs about the esoteric, which I suppose mitigates my distaste a little.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 14, 2018

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the first two issues of Dark Horse's adaptation of William Gibson's Alien 3 script. For those who care about such things, it's actually based on his second draft, not his more action-heavy first draft that's the better known script of his. But I'm enjoying it - I like the take on the universe he had, and this is from someone who liked the actual Alien 3.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Archyduchess posted:

I really like most of what I've read from Mags Visaggio but I'm not entirely sold on Sex Death Revolution yet. The first issue was solid but felt like it was treading ground very similar to Phonogram, and this week's issue took a well-executed but very creepy and uncomfortable turn that has me sort of cautious. I'm going to stick with it because it's very pretty and again, Visaggio is a really good writer in my opinion, but I don't know how invested I am. Is anyone else reading this?

I read the first issue, but I think my problem is that it introduced a lot of characters at once who are all kind of muted and grey personality-wise. It didn't really stick with me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wanderer posted:

I read the first issue, but I think my problem is that it introduced a lot of characters at once who are all kind of muted and grey personality-wise. It didn't really stick with me.

Yeah, I can see this, and I think it sort of applies to her Eternity Girl, which I largely really loved, too. She introduces a lot of characters who show glimmers of depth and complexity but she takes that depth and complexity as read without actually doing the work of having the writing reveal it. I have no doubt that Visaggio has a series bible that's packed with fascinating stuff with every coven member but in two issues we only get the barest hints of it outside of a handful of characters, and as I mentioned, the "bad guy" of the second issue is pretty richly detailed but its not an archetype that feels fresh.

I'm going to give it a few more because I'm really curious to see how she develops the link between queerness and magic that the first issue sets up but frankly that thread was totally absent in the second issue in favor of, again, a much less interesting character with much less interesting motivations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just sat down and got caught up on Black Hammer. I read Sherlock Frankenstein, Doctor Star, Quantum Age, and Age of Doom all at once and got caught up. I also read the Cthu-Louise one-shot.

My thoughts are mixed. I liked 90% of what I read, but the last two issues of Age of Doom fell off the rails. I think they're hinting there is more mystery than even Colonel Weird and Madamme Dragonfly realized and that there is more out there.

How does everyone else feel about the modern day Watchman?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I also disliked the end of Age of Doom. I really didn't like the fourth wall break. Especially when it seemed to make the creators look like gods for their DC universe rip off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

IUG posted:

Yeah I also disliked the end of Age of Doom. I really didn't like the fourth wall break. Especially when it seemed to make the creators look like gods for their DC universe rip off.

Well, that's just a common meta writting trope, to be fair. I think it was more generalized, not just Lemiere.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Absolutely adoring A Walk Through Hell. This continues to be Ennis at his best. Probably going to buy the trade/s once it's finished.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new Klaus is great, like always. These annual specials are now my favourite Christmas tradition :)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't read many comics but somehow i learned of the presence of Die, picked it up, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it, if anyone was interested but uncertain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
DIE loving rules. The only thing that makes me sad is that the rules for the pen and paper version of the game aren't out yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

DIE loving rules. The only thing that makes me sad is that the rules for the pen and paper version of the game aren't out yet.

Yeah, it's really damned good. Gillen says he's not quite done with the rules and it spoils the first arc, so he's holding off. From descriptions I've read from people who've played it, it sounds...complex.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I read the interview over on Polygon about it, and now I kinda wish I hadn't since Keiran Gillen implies that a big part of the comic is going to be about adults regretting their life choices and wishing they could have made better ones, and that 13 Going On 30 is one of his influences here, which, coupled with some of the potential mechanics he talks about and where the comic is headed, makes it pretty clear what the big twist is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
E: wrong thread

site fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 18, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just read the first issue of Nnedi Okorafor's comic LaGuardia, from Dark Horse's new Berger Books line. It's apparently only a 4-issue mini which makes me sad, but I absolutely loved it. Great story so far, great and really imaginative future art and alien designs, and good character development so far. Definitely check it out.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I read ISOLA vol. 1 over the weekend. What a gorgeous, enthralling book.

Can’t wait for the next collection. Very much scratches the Miyazaki/MONONOKE itch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has some strange references in it. Lorde, Hannah Montana, and Stranger Things all get mentioned.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tried out the new Boom Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I had no idea it was gonna be a reboot. I guess it makes sense to restart it so that they can be teens again, but it's just weird to see the TV show likenesses go through meeting again under different circumstances and now with iPhones.

I think ideally it'd be a whole new Buffy with new friends like the swap from the movie to TV show, but that probably wouldn't help their sales.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I always thought the reboot idea was gonna be basically Buffy: TNG, with the original cast kind of hanging around in the background as mentors/side characters and new characters doing the bulk of the staking.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I always thought the reboot idea was gonna be basically Buffy: TNG, with the original cast kind of hanging around in the background as mentors/side characters and new characters doing the bulk of the staking.

If I remember correctly, that's the plan for the show they are or were going to do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/ImageComics/comments/ajqfql/rat_queens_update_from_kurtiss_blog_saw_this_on/?st=JRCVJJOA&sh=a5bb2d70

Looks like the Rat Queens curse strikes again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A new writer could be the best thing for it.
Interesting that it's someone graduating from lettering.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

A new writer could be the best thing for it.
Interesting that it's someone graduating from lettering.

Ryan Ferrier wrote D4VE and it was real good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I kinda fell off the Rat Queens wagon after their third change up or so but it seems like he’s making the right move for himself and leaving the book in good hands so I’ll definitely give it a shot when it returns.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Finally read the first issue of Peter Cannon. I loved it. It’ll be interesting to see someone do a quasi sequel to Watchmen that might actually bring something new to the table.

Speaking of when I saw that Gillen was saying he was going to use the book to comment on the legacy of Watchmen I did not expect to get to the end of the issue and find out how far he was going to go with the tie in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1091701327779057665?s=21

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I already said something about Age Of Doom's lackluster end of story arch, but Quantum Age's last night was almost just as bad. It seems like they somehow wrote themselves into a corner with the final enemy, so they went with the lamest fakeout, and then said "gently caress it, who care, go to the future, the end!" It seemed like they were rushing to reach any resolution so they could tie it up for a trade. Halfway through the issue it just changes gears entirely.

Overall the comic series are good, but this is two flubs in a few months, and it's getting me worried about where this series is going.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Finally read the first issue of Peter Cannon. I loved it. It’ll be interesting to see someone do a quasi sequel to Watchmen that might actually bring something new to the table.

Speaking of when I saw that Gillen was saying he was going to use the book to comment on the legacy of Watchmen I did not expect to get to the end of the issue and find out how far he was going to go with the tie in.

That does sound intriguing, has Gillen mentioned it being a quasi sequel to Watchmen, or do you mean a quasi sequel thematically? Plus the trivia connection to Ozymandias.

In general I dig superhero comics trying to tackle the big issues, if changing the world is actually doable and good etc, like Invincible messed with a bit later on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here’s Gillen’s words from a BC interview:

“This series will turn the mirror around to reflect the deconstruction back onto the legendary Watchmen. Peter Cannon of course served as the template for Alan Moore’s Ozymandias. What if the inspirations get to respond to this modern post-Watchmen landscape of the medium?”

The issue starts 35 minutes after an alien invasion has destroyed the city. The other superheroes of the city, who are pastiches but not of Watchmen, go to Cannon to try and get his help to fight off the invasion. They do and then Cannon figures out something: The attack was all a hoax. But a hoax only he could pull off so he thinks it’s a Peter Cannon from an alternate universe. We then see whole wall of TV screens just like in Watchmen and the final page shows the alternate universe Cannon who is clearly just Ozymandias.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Here’s Gillen’s words from a BC interview:

“This series will turn the mirror around to reflect the deconstruction back onto the legendary Watchmen. Peter Cannon of course served as the template for Alan Moore’s Ozymandias. What if the inspirations get to respond to this modern post-Watchmen landscape of the medium?”

The issue starts 35 minutes after an alien invasion has destroyed the city. The other superheroes of the city, who are pastiches but not of Watchmen, go to Cannon to try and get his help to fight off the invasion. They do and then Cannon figures out something: The attack was all a hoax. But a hoax only he could pull off so he thinks it’s a Peter Cannon from an alternate universe. We then see whole wall of TV screens just like in Watchmen and the final page shows the alternate universe Cannon who is clearly just Ozymandias.

Very intriguing, thanks for the info there. Just read an interview where he mentions this'll be about art and what he loves about comics etc too, so I wonder how else he'll play around with things we know and love.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Hows By Night? I'm a fan of John Allisons other comics like Bad Machinery and Giant Days, but don't hear too much about that one

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Hows By Night? I'm a fan of John Allisons other comics like Bad Machinery and Giant Days, but don't hear too much about that one

It's really good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was late to get through it but I just finished reading Descender and holy gently caress that book was loving awesome and gorgeous from start to finish. HERE BE SPOILER OF THE END: the last volume in particular was just PACKED from start to finish with so many revelations and oh poo poo moments. From the robots reveal, explaining the first attack, god drat MAGIC out of nowhere, and then ending the way it did was so drat good. The last issue’s first line “This is the way the universe ended...” just sets a level of expectation of how things end and then proceeds to not just meet, but exceeds them.

The art was just beautiful and every page and character was just lovingly drawn and written. There were some seriously good ideas being told and the story never really slowed down at any points. Characters came and went, met and left only to meet again at a later point, and everything just had this awesome interconnection that I haven’t seen in a comic in a long rear end time. Time-21 was awesome. I went through the books not really knowing how a sequel would work but now that I know what’s coming?

I am so loving HYPED for Ascender.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Horse has lost Usagi Yojimbo to IDW.
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1099015016777342977

edit: Why are all the comments bugging them about a TV show?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Horse has lost Usagi Yojimbo to IDW.
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1099015016777342977

edit: Why are all the comments bugging them about a TV show?

I believe IDW do a tv show called Wyonna Earp, maybe it has something to do with that? As far as I know the comics rights are separate from everything else because I heard that a stop motion company had feature film rights.

IDW are doing colour reprints of the entire series, which gives me an excuse to increase the size of my already too large Usagi space.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hmmm all color Usagi reprints? I might be interested in that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was late to get through it but I just finished reading Descender and holy gently caress that book was loving awesome and gorgeous from start to finish. HERE BE SPOILER OF THE END: the last volume in particular was just PACKED from start to finish with so many revelations and oh poo poo moments. From the robots reveal, explaining the first attack, god drat MAGIC out of nowhere, and then ending the way it did was so drat good. The last issue’s first line “This is the way the universe ended...” just sets a level of expectation of how things end and then proceeds to not just meet, but exceeds them.

The art was just beautiful and every page and character was just lovingly drawn and written. There were some seriously good ideas being told and the story never really slowed down at any points. Characters came and went, met and left only to meet again at a later point, and everything just had this awesome interconnection that I haven’t seen in a comic in a long rear end time. Time-21 was awesome. I went through the books not really knowing how a sequel would work but now that I know what’s coming?

I am so loving HYPED for Ascender.

Yeah, I loved it and still mean to do a re-read before Ascender. Wish Lemire hadn't spoiled the ending on Twitter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Hmmm all color Usagi reprints? I might be interested in that.

Yeah, I was on the fence about getting the saga editions (since I already own the individual volumes) but I have no problem shelling out for all new coloured books. Especially if they're IDW hardcovers, the TMNT ones are fantastic.