Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15893291

Poorly vented helmets are bad, going fast is good.

That's crazy, I never would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

builds character posted:

That's crazy, I never would have guessed.

Of course you didn't. That's because reduced oxygen to the brain affects cognitive function. :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Carth Dookie posted:

Of course you didn't. That's because reduced oxygen to the brain affects cognitive function. :v:

:golfclap:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
turns out i'm a genius for riding visor up all this time

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Razzled posted:

Enjoy your cataracts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

So THAT'S why they're called brain buckets!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Razzled posted:

Not so fast - "Opening the visor at standstill had on average no effect"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Not so fast - "Opening the visor at standstill had on average no effect"
:drat:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since we're talking about helmets, do DOT ratings expire? I'm jumping back into the saddle this spring and I've still got my old Shoei RF1000 Duhamel from a decade ago, this should be fine to ride in, yeah?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'd be worried about the shock absorbing padding in it losing integrity, same with the shell. Would you trust a 10 year old isopor box to have the same strength as a new one? Most bigger brands give a 5 year guarantee \ recommendations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, it’s dead. Head sweat and oil breaks down styrofoam, as does heat and moisture cycling over that amount of time. Get a new one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well I haven't been worn it in ten years either, but drat, that's not good news. Oh well, it'll make a nice mantle piece.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

Well I haven't been worn it in ten years either, but drat, that's not good news. Oh well, it'll make a nice mantle piece.

Even if it's still protective (sure, it definitely is to a pretty good extent), warranty is long gone on it. I personally don't like wearing helmets with expired warranties or doing anything to void them. Head injuries are probably $Stupid in the US, and who knows, you might want to sue just to cover medical costs.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 30, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
True. Glad I'm in a country with socialized medicine, but still. All right, thanks for the replies. I was gonna buy a new lid anyway but was curious if the old one was still functional. I love the design on it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Icon has a lot of interesting designs if that's what you're looking for.

https://www.revzilla.com/icon-airmada-helmet

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
ICON has really stepped their game up. I remember they were first coming onto the scene (I think) when I was getting into riding as a teen, and their stuff just struck me as... the TapOut shirts of the motorcycling world. But some of those lid patterns are real pretty. I'm liking some of Shark' designs, too. 'Course, they make the new Duhamel design...

mewse
May 2, 2006

I got the icon copperhead airframe pro because it was on clearance up here in canadar. The gold flake is so obnoxious, I love it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

ICON has really stepped their game up. I remember they were first coming onto the scene (I think) when I was getting into riding as a teen, and their stuff just struck me as... the TapOut shirts of the motorcycling world. But some of those lid patterns are real pretty. I'm liking some of Shark' designs, too. 'Course, they make the new Duhamel design...

Icon's quality control isn't great and I'm still convinced they're more focused on style than functionality, but they do make some good stuff (their Raiden jackets are good).

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jazzzzz posted:

Icon's quality control isn't great and I'm still convinced they're more focused on style than functionality, but they do make some good stuff (their Raiden jackets are good).

I really liked my airmadas, but both of them had issues. One had a misaligned visor gasket so it whistled (had to use some duct tape on the gasket to get a good seal with the visor down) and my other's vent covers started rattling after a few months. I probably just had bad luck twice over, but I'm done with their helmets personally.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Grabbed a Klim parkas(klim tundra) as it was 70% off and I needed a new proper winter jacket. Gore-tex and proper insulation.

Is there any other brands that make non-mc stuff with quality materials? thinking non-mc leather jackets from italian brands etc?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

Grabbed a Klim parkas(klim tundra) as it was 70% off and I needed a new proper winter jacket. Gore-tex and proper insulation.

Is there any other brands that make non-mc stuff with quality materials? thinking non-mc leather jackets from italian brands etc?

With leather, since you don't need the abrasion resistance of genuine motorcycle approved sun dried kangaroo scrotum, the really good stuff is going to be expensive supple baby lamb scrotum. I think Dainese do a fashion line. For anything man-made textile, pretty much all the high end outdoor technical stuff is top notch. Arc'teryx, mountain hardwear, north face, black diamond, mammut, etc etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Solvent posted:

Yeah, thanks for breaking that down for me. I just expect nobody to see or hear me ever on any bike, so.

The other thing that got me was the idea of putting paddle tires on it (future FSX) and taking it to the imperial sand dunes. My wife's family has a bunch of sand toys, and I'm not as into quads or buying an expensive dune buggy, I had run the idea by her and she suggested there's be no way to get them charged out there. I mean, she's usually right about everything, but cant you just charge it with a generator? Or am I just totally ignorant here?

You can totally do it, you'll have more limited ride time than you'd like, but if you're hot swapping batteries and they're always on the generator you'll be fine.

Also, you'll need to replace the belt with their chain drive kit if you wanna jump it, cause they snap belts from the shock loading when you jump them / ride them offroad.

As Nero Danced posted:

I really liked my airmadas, but both of them had issues. One had a misaligned visor gasket so it whistled (had to use some duct tape on the gasket to get a good seal with the visor down) and my other's vent covers started rattling after a few months. I probably just had bad luck twice over, but I'm done with their helmets personally.

I've had a couple of them and haven't had bad luck with build quality or the like.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Also, you'll need to replace the belt with their chain drive kit if you wanna jump it, cause they snap belts from the shock loading when you jump them / ride them offroad.

That's interesting, I'd have thought a belt would have been *more* tolerant of that, although I really don't know much about belt drive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's interesting, I'd have thought a belt would have been *more* tolerant of that, although I really don't know much about belt drive.

I'm assuming it's cause you run belt drives quite a bit tighter to avoid them jumping the relatively small teeth on the belt drive gears, so when you jump it while the bike is under throttle there's a fuckload of tension / shock as it hits the ground, powered, and suddenly stops spinning.

Also electric bikes spin up the rear wheel hilariously fast, because there's basically zero inertia mass to slow the RPM rising, it spins up as fast as a high torque motor can spin a relatively light rear wheel / drive assembly.

Funny story, we discovered that the Brammo Empulse didn't take into account getting the rear wheel off the ground coming out of the bay bridge toll plaza, because there's enough of a lip there that the rear wheel leaves the ground for a split second, and it'd throw a rear wheel speed overspeed error code because they never tested full on the gas at about 30mph with the rear wheel off the ground. Apparently at the sample rate of the wheel speed sensor, that small amount of time off the ground was enough time to cause it to pitch a fit due to the rate of change of rear wheel speed. Talking to them, Zero, Alta, this is apparently something that every electric motorcycle manufacturer learns the hard way, either limit the engine output when you detect rear wheelspeed change that quickly, or tell it to ignore that sudden climb in rear wheel speed. The Brammo engineers also apparently had a really good time recreating the conditions, too. "Yeah, just hit that speed bump at like 30, you gotta get the rear wheel off the ground. Customer reported it!". RIP Brammo, all those guys were fuckin' rad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No electric bikes have proper anti spin, right? That would help in that situation + be very helpful to hamfisted riders in all other situations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Guess who's a huge dummy and still has all their limbs attached

I hosed up super bad coming home tonight, made a really ill advised overtake on a short stretch of road leading up to a roundabout. I let myself get into an aggressive mindset and ended up doing probably 50mph where I should have already been slowing down from 40. Looked up from my mirror, saw traffic on the roundabout, checked my distance (I think maybe 20m, if that), attempted to slow down, and lost the rear really badly.

I fishtailed all the way across the roundabout and somehow managed to avoid hitting either it or the kerb on the far side (which is still amazing to me because there's no straight path across). It was dumb luck none of the cars on the roundabout were turning right or I'd be posting this from hospital right now much later, if at all.

I can't vent about it to my girlfriend either because she's taking her CBT tomorrow and I don't want to spook her. :(

I don't feel as shaken as the last time l lost control, I think because this time it's not a mystery to me why it happened. This was entirely and solely the result of me putting myself in a stupid position, riding too fast for the road I was on, and prioritising getting home five seconds faster above getting home in one piece.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hosed up super bad coming home tonight, made a really ill advised overtake on a short stretch of road leading up to a roundabout. I let myself get into an aggressive mindset and ended up doing probably 50mph where I should have already been slowing down from 40. Looked up from my mirror, saw traffic on the roundabout, checked my distance (I think maybe 20m, if that), attempted to slow down, and lost the rear really badly.

I fishtailed all the way across the roundabout and somehow managed to avoid hitting either it or the kerb on the far side (which is still amazing to me because there's no straight path across). It was dumb luck none of the cars on the roundabout were turning right or I'd be posting this from hospital right now much later, if at all.

I can't vent about it to my girlfriend either because she's taking her CBT tomorrow and I don't want to spook her. :(

I don't feel as shaken as the last time l lost control, I think because this time it's not a mystery to me why it happened. This was entirely and solely the result of me putting myself in a stupid position, riding too fast for the road I was on, and prioritising getting home five seconds faster above getting home in one piece.

It won’t make you feel any better but I’ve been having a rough couple weeks and our streets are white glass right now because of snowfall. There was a guy tailgating me so I was trying to speed up a bit even tho I knew I’d have to slow down to make a left turn in front of the jackass. So I throw on my signal and start skidding to slow down and the guy started honking at me like it was my fault he was riding my rear end. Stupid to let a dipshit’s behavior affect me at all but venting about it is helping.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The important thing is you know you messed up, so you know what not to do in the future. If you read your luck as skill then you'd have trouble.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so you're gonna fix this by practicing your drifting in a parking lot right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Girlfriend completed her cbt today! :toot:

Now to find her a 125 before spring prices kick in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Goongrats to her!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's awesome! Good for her. Ya'll are going to have so much fun now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ABS has now completely spoiled me. The other morning I stupidly grabbed a handful at very low speed with the front wheel on a wet white line and absolutely bricked it when the front wheel washed out - fortunately it gripped as soon as it hit tarmac and I was going slow enough that I could have saved it with my foot anyway, but it's the first time in years I'd have faced even the slightest repercussions for thoughtlessly slamming on the brakes.

What I'm saying is buy a bike with ABS and you can get away with riding more like a dickhead. Wait.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ABS has now completely spoiled me. The other morning I stupidly grabbed a handful at very low speed with the front wheel on a wet white line and absolutely bricked it when the front wheel washed out - fortunately it gripped as soon as it hit tarmac and I was going slow enough that I could have saved it with my foot anyway, but it's the first time in years I'd have faced even the slightest repercussions for thoughtlessly slamming on the brakes.

What I'm saying is buy a bike with ABS and you can get away with riding more like a dickhead. Wait.

I know of a thread on ADVRider where your input would add to a lively debate.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah, ABS. Someone leaving a sports bar Friday night pulled out in front of me so last-minute I would have to assume their wife left that same sports bar five minutes earlier with another man on a motorcycle and I would be in a great deal of pain right now without working anti locks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I know of a thread on ADVRider where your input would add to a lively debate.

I could never post there, there's no way a Ducati electric system could cope with even the base amount of farkles you need before they'll let you on there.

Also Ducati provide another useful safety feature that would have helped RR avoid his little problem, in that their rear brakes are not only incapable of locking up the rear, for extra safety they're barely capable of slowing the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ah yes, the automatic self-airing rear master cylinder there's no cure for.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Z3n posted:

You can totally do it, you'll have more limited ride time than you'd like, but if you're hot swapping batteries and they're always on the generator you'll be fine.

:glomp:

google has caught on and I keep seeing ads for that Swedish minimalist electric bike now.

I'm incredibly glad I bookmarked this thread.

Just the idea of having this thing as a little short range commuter bike, then tossing it into my old pickup and carting it out to the dessert is enough. I'm sure that if I like the experience, I'd take it further. My wife is an old hand on a quad, and one of the reasons I wanted to start with the FXS was so she might try it out since it's the little one. I mean, it's gotta be miles better than the quirky New Girl scooter she was talking about getting (those things are unsafe I tells ya).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looked at some spec sheets and found out the oil filter and sump plug washers I have lying around for the ZZR are good for the W too, score :toot:

Still need an extra litre or so of oil, hopefully I can pick some up locally tomorrow and get my first oil change done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Solvent posted:

:glomp:

google has caught on and I keep seeing ads for that Swedish minimalist electric bike now.

I'm incredibly glad I bookmarked this thread.

Just the idea of having this thing as a little short range commuter bike, then tossing it into my old pickup and carting it out to the dessert is enough. I'm sure that if I like the experience, I'd take it further. My wife is an old hand on a quad, and one of the reasons I wanted to start with the FXS was so she might try it out since it's the little one. I mean, it's gotta be miles better than the quirky New Girl scooter she was talking about getting (those things are unsafe I tells ya).

Frankly if you can approach them as legitimate "toys", electric bikes are a loving giggle offroad or on track. One day, I'm gonna have my own little dirt oval, and some 50 sized electric bikes to train on, just swap bikes to keep them topped up.

Electric bikes are also great starters, cause they're unintimidating and easy to control, not having a clutch goes a long rear end way.