Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Imagine paying to vote for the leader of a party you hate so that you can hopefully get a less tyrannical populist to lead them against your own party.

Why do all these homosexuals keep sucking my cock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm not paying the Conservative party to vote for a leadership candidate that will be eliminated on the first ballot, that's dumb as hell

Think of it as actually costing the party money because they'll keep mailing you stuff every month or two for the next ten years!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

There was a good column in the Guardian recently about pretty much this phenomenon.

A lot of people voted for Ford against their own best interests, whether they believed his policy platform or not, because their values align with the values of the Conservative Party and the strong, toxically-masculine leadership of Doug Ford, even if following through on those values also means their lives get materially worse.

I'm the Guardian writer comparing being an EU citizen to being a slave owned by another person lol

What a loving dunce.

EDIT: It's less like an enslaved person being willing to endure hardship for freedom and more like a 9-year-old throwing a tantrum and shrieking "gently caress YOU MOM AND DAD IF I RUN AWAY FROM HOME I WON'T HAVE A BEDTIME!!!!"

PT6A fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 3, 2019

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is why it's bizarre to me that non-conservatives don't vote in the conservative leadership contests. I get that you have values too but the person leading the thing can make a big difference and life would seem to be so much better with moderates like christine elliot or justin trudeau running the show.

This warmed-over entryism poo poo doesn't work in the U.S. even where they have open primaries it's sure not going to work in a non-OMOV Conservative leadership contest.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1091902467606859777

I think if I posted several lines of :qq: it would be really obnoxious, but on the other hand, it would be difficult to summarize this article without it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vaughan served on Toronto Council at the same time as Doug Ford so his urge to kill is definitely legit.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1091902467606859777

I think if I posted several lines of :qq: it would be really obnoxious, but on the other hand, it would be difficult to summarize this article without it.

So just like everything else the right's obsession with snowflakes is just projection.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1091841444027998208

This is both a disappointing waste of potential for a not-bad idea and also low-key makes fun of JT's speech impediment?

DynamicSloth posted:

This warmed-over entryism poo poo doesn't work in the U.S. even where they have open primaries it's sure not going to work in a non-OMOV Conservative leadership contest.

It should be more likely to work in a non-OMOV contest! A single voter signing up in, say, Laurier–Ste Marie (where there were 93 voters) would have had 0.0106 "points", which is more than ten times the weight a single voter in Calgary Centre had (0.000908).

This mostly is true for Québec and the Atlantic though: Québec had 124 voting members by riding on average, compared to 508 voters per riding in the ROC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If conservatives would act like adults instead of petulant children who think they deserve to lead maybe I'd take them seriously. Scheer could take the easiest jab at Trudeau and gently caress it up.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1091841444027998208

This is both a disappointing waste of potential for a not-bad idea and also low-key makes fun of JT's speech impediment?
already deleted, what'd it say?

Pinterest Mom posted:

It should be more likely to work in a non-OMOV contest! A single voter signing up in, say, Laurier–Ste Marie (where there were 93 voters) would have had 0.0106 "points", which is more than ten times the weight a single voter in Calgary Centre had (0.000908).
Yes as long as you find yourself conveniently located in a podunk riding and not the urban centres where most Canadians lived. Still a waste of time and money compared to intervening with a party you actually support.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

also low-key makes fun of JT's speech impediment?

everything old is new again

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

It was a campaign ad talking about how corrupt the Liberals are with all their crazy spending with cuts to JT stuttering and stammering.

I'm assuming they took it down because somebody mentioned that if the PCs bring up corruption, somebody might mention theirs.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

It was a fake Heritage Minute focusing on "JT is the first PM in history to have to pay an ethics fine while in office", and it prominently featured his stammer in a way I thought was gross. Historica got them to take it down.

DynamicSloth posted:

Yes as long as you find yourself conveniently located in a podunk riding and not the urban centres where most Canadians lived. Still a waste of time and money compared to intervening with a party you actually support.

LSM is the third most densely populated riding in the country :colbert:. The second densest riding is Papineau, and that had only 50 CPC leadership voters~.

But yeah this is deffo Québec-specific, the difference in ballot numbers between TO and Mtl ridings is huge.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 3, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DynamicSloth posted:

The opposite again, the urban centers are less likely to have a lot of opc members so your vote will count for more, eg etobicoke north only had ~400 voters. The ontario one is especially perplexing. Odds were really strong for a opc majority and we were gifted with a leadership race right before the election so you could pick your poison for a tiny fee. It'd only be a waste of time and money if you think doug ford isn't a special level of hell. Progressive Ontarians wasted millions on horwath when a couple of thousand bucks, 200-300 one year memberships could have got you elliot instead which I think would have been a better, achievable outcome.

All to say, when it comes to "why don't conservatives do what's in their best interest, blinded by their values!", I think that's more of a universal phenomenon but it's easier to forgive the right because they aren't supposed to be the smart ones.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was a fake Heritage Minute focusing on "JT is the first PM in history to have to pay an ethics fine while in office", and it prominently featured his stammer in a way I thought was gross. Historica got them to take it down.

lol and then they reposted it with a little disclaimer at the start.

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1092178445138829312
https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1092178544610799617

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Normally I would be delighted that the Conservative party is pants on head stupid since that would make electing them much harder, but Ford and soon to be Kenney prove that and historically stupid people running amazingly dumb campaigns can still win.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Furnaceface posted:

Normally I would be delighted that the Conservative party is pants on head stupid since that would make electing them much harder, but Ford and soon to be Kenney prove that and historically stupid people running amazingly dumb campaigns can still win.

The nothing mattering has finally drifted to the north of the border.

Everyone is so entrenched that they just auto-whitewash any negative stories, welcome to hell-world.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Everyone is so entrenched that they just auto-whitewash any negative stories, welcome to hell-world.

It's frustrating as hell. They believe so strongly in their opinions that they treat facts as a personal attack.

How the gently caress do you counter an unethical political party that panders to that?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

It's frustrating as hell. They believe so strongly in their opinions that they treat facts as a personal attack.

How the gently caress do you counter an unethical political party that panders to that?

You can't, 30% of the population is lost.

Even if there was definitive proof that white nationalists and russian bots have infiltrated their politics to create more divisiveness you will maybe peel off 10%.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Imagine paying to vote for the leader of a party you hate so that you can hopefully get a less tyrannical populist to lead them against your own party.

Only way to effect much of anything in Alberta for the better part of a century :saddowns:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/davidshepardson/status/1092130625283338240

We must defend the morality of GM at ALL COSTS.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Im not saying nothing matters, Im saying I no longer write off the crazy side of modern politics any more. We had one chance to ensure poo poo didnt go sideways but the federal Libs decided they would rather hand the country over to a potential fascist Conservative party than change the way we vote and risk never having a majority government again.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

PC campaign director John Tory was mainly responsible for deciding to launch the ads
Kind of a comeuppance now having to deal with Doug Ford. :haw:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Furnaceface posted:

Im not saying nothing matters, Im saying I no longer write off the crazy side of modern politics any more. We had one chance to ensure poo poo didnt go sideways but the federal Libs decided they would rather hand the country over to a potential fascist Conservative party than change the way we vote and risk never having a majority government again.

Well, the sooner you realise that the grits are just slightly less fascist Conservatives but otherwise identical, the sooner you can shed that counter productive illusion.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good work GM; you're Streisanding yourselves.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Thought these two went well together

quote:

Liberal and Conservative worldview so close that election isn’t worth hacking

The Liberal government has announced new measures to prevent foreign actors from interfering in the next Canadian election. All well and good, but here’s the thing:

There is no reason why any foreign actor would want to interfere in Canada’s election. The Liberal and Conservative parties are so closely aligned on every major foreign policy file that Russia, China or any other great power would achieve nothing by attempting to promote one party or undermine another.

Some actors at home or abroad might get into some devilment, as my mother used to call it, just to sow confusion. But Canada faces the world with a united front, though you’d never know it from listening to our politicians calling each other out.

The Liberals, in particular, would rather you think there was a great gulf between them and the Conservatives in foreign policy. After all, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised big changes, a Canada-is-back re-engagement with the world after a decade of Stephen Harper’s brutish approach.

The record, however, has proved to be the opposite. Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland reinforced Mr. Harper’s determination to isolate Russia and keep it isolated. The Liberals doubled down on support for Ukraine, and sent a battle group to Latvia to help protect NATO’s borders, with strong Conservative support.

Then there is the China file. While Mr. Harper was always suspicious of the regime in Beijing, Mr. Trudeau envisioned a warmer relationship. But hopes for trade talks were wrecked by the Liberals’ insistence on putting human rights on the agenda. And then came the detention for extradition of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou at the request of the United States.

Although Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has criticized Mr. Trudeau’s handling of the Huawei controversy, a Conservative government would maintain the Liberal position of honouring the extradition treaty between Canada and the United States, while leaving the rest to the courts.

In sum, neither Beijing nor Moscow has any reason to hope that conspiring to undermine the Liberals would lead to improved relations under a Conservative government.

The United States has interfered in Canadian elections in the past – quite egregiously, when John F. Kennedy was president and John Diefenbaker (whom Mr. Kennedy loathed) was prime minister. But the Trump administration would have no reason to prefer Andrew Scheer to Justin Trudeau as prime minister, or vice versa.

Mr. Scheer insists, of course, that he would have struck a better deal for Canada in the renegotiation of the North American free-trade accord. But he wouldn’t have. From Barack Obama to Donald Trump, and from Stephen Harper to Justin Trudeau, Canada-U.S. relations have followed broadly the same path: protecting Canadian interests, especially on trade, while working to preserve the Western alliance.

Speaking of trade, the Liberals concluded agreements with European and Pacific nations that were launched by the Conservatives. On the environment, both parties are committed to meeting the carbon-reduction targets established under the Paris accord. Neither Conservative nor Liberal governments met those targets. It’s safe to assume that Mr. Scheer would do no better.

The Conservative Leader has promised that, as prime minister, he would move Canada’s embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. And Mr. Trudeau authorized a small peacekeeping mission in Mali that a Conservative government would probably not have approved. But that mission will end in July, after only one year. It’s unlikely that most Canadians even knew about it.

The two parties even mimic each other in their failures. Mr. Harper got nowhere in his efforts to get the Indian government interested in meaningful trade talks. Mr. Trudeau got nowhere also, and his trip to India turned into a personal embarrassment.

Mr. Harper tried and failed to persuade the Obama administration to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. The Trump administration did approve the pipeline, but the project is hung up in the courts. In any case, both the Liberals and the Conservatives want to see Keystone go ahead.

As for Saudi Arabia, both parties agree that protecting the sale of armoured vehicles to the regime is the first priority, whatever else happens on the human-rights front.

Polarization over foreign policy is a curse. Just look at the U.S. and U.K. for examples of populations divided over the role their nation should play in the world.

But Canada is blessed by having two major parties with virtually identical views, Just don’t tell the Liberals. It drives them nuts.

quote:

New polls were published in the past seven days: the Nanos weekly update and the federal Mainstreet Research Ultrapoll. Both polls showed similar tendencies: 1) the Liberals still stand slighly ahead of the Conservatives, but are losing ground in the West, 2) the NDP are near a complete collapse, 3) The Bloc québécois has not (yet) enjoyed a boost from the nomination of its new leader Yves-François Blanchet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So anyone else get that “Lisa from the Conservative Party” text?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As long as no foreign player has an interest in destabilizing the current status quo, in order to make room for their own foreign policy initiatives, Canada has nothing to worry about.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PCPO is suddenly very interested in finding the source of leaked internal documents

https://twitter.com/Travisdhanraj/status/1092296011463225344

Truly a shocking 180 from their position on the subject during the campaign

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Thought these two went well together

Not actually sure if that's from Beaverton... :thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I don't think Ibbitson is writing for Beaverton yet, more's the pity.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

"It's a draft" and yet they already have a corporation lined up with directors.

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1092488677832429568

Newly leaked documents show PC health care changes 'done deal', NDP says

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/1092478868227788800

That was quick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the opp commissioner is in Ford's pocket.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Adam Vaughan was right.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Canada Post is loving me so hard right now that even I hate unions

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if they're so bitter and abusive because of the poor working conditions, but if anyone deserves poor working conditions, it's them

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I don't know if they're so bitter and abusive because of the poor working conditions, but if anyone deserves poor working conditions, it's them

I think you are confusing cause and effect. Back to work legislation and a management determined to break the union is creating poor working conditions, and that’s making them poor workers, not the other way around.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Also, Canada Post was doing just fine until the head of Pitney Bowes decided to try and run it into the ground.

It's a done deal and nothing short of actual riots will slow it down any. I for one can't wait for the :qq:ing over decorum and finger wagging at the "heckler's veto" as people start getting seriously engaged over this.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

I think you are confusing cause and effect. Back to work legislation and a management determined to break the union is creating poor working conditions, and that’s making them poor workers, not the other way around.

I agree with this, but the policy they're uncompromisingly loving me with has been in effect forever. Now they just hang up on you and shout on the phone as well.

We're currently arguing over whether successful delivery of an item means to your physical location, or to the abstract notion of your being, according to the General Theory of Delivery (a.k.a. to a depot half an hour away.)

It would be nice if Amazon would let you blacklist them so they can finally go under.

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 4, 2019