Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah, Ireland couldn't get anything going on attack. In tight the blitz shut them down, out wide there was always cover, and England's backfield positioning must have been strong because a kick through never looked like a good option.

England also did a great job slowing down the rucks and lying on the ball to slow it down. They got punished in the first quarter but not after that.

Rugby is weird, how can these teams be so variable in performance all the time. Balance is clearly critical and adding one or two pieces at the international level can be all you need.

English players being exhausted after the lion's tour also probably played a major factor in their 2018 performance.

The Irish game is also built around inviting the opposition first receiver to go for a kick with a flat alignment with two players hanging back as sweepers on either side of the defensive line, which rushes as a unit to shut down options. But if you're able to control the rucks and dictate the pace, as well has have an option of linebreakers in the middle of the field, it goes some way in negating that. Think back to last Autumn when the Irish beat the All Blacks. The ABs did recognise this and were dominating the last quarter of the game, but uncharacteristically, lacked the clinical edge that they usually have, struggling to connect the last pass. Ireland's defence falls apart when you've created a situation which negates one sweeper, and you force the other one to have to rush in, or if you're able to get the ball to someone like Tuilagi, Fofana or a fully healthy de Allende - someone who will either break or at the very least, stretch the defensive alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Good description Vagabundo.

The42.ie has two good articles analyzing England's kicking and attack in general - strong analysis of Ireland's poor backfield positioning and England's understanding of manipulating space.

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-england-kick-ireland-schmidt-4474432-Feb2019/
https://www.the42.ie/analysis-ireland-england-opening-minutes-4474219-Feb2019/

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Missing Kearney really hurt Ireland, he's one of the best in the world at controlling space in the backfield without any help and they tried to do it with Henshaw, who just doesn't have that experience or skill to pull it off. England saw that and exploited it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Missing Kearney really hurt Ireland, he's one of the best in the world at controlling space in the backfield without any help and they tried to do it with Henshaw, who just doesn't have that experience or skill to pull it off. England saw that and exploited it.

Which indicates a crippling lack of depth in key positions. Fullback is one of the most important positions out on the field now and you'd want at least two who can deliver what's needed in the squad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Which indicates a crippling lack of depth in key positions. Fullback is one of the most important positions out on the field now and you'd want at least two who can deliver what's needed in the squad.

The last 20 minutes of the the Scotland vs Italy game was a pretty stark illustration of 'lack of depth'

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's definitely England's key strength. They may not have many 10/10 players, but they can keep throwing 7/10 players into the mixer.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hope Zebo isn’t totally locked out of Ireland’s squad

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Oh France.

quote:

Sebastien Vahaamahina: ‘I did not even know I was captain. It was the referee, Wayne Barnes, who came to see me on a penalty to ask me my choice. I told him to address the captain; he said it was me. The staff did not warn me.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/sebastien-vahaamahina-i-did-not-even-know-i-was-captain-1.3782033

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Vagabundo posted:

I'd like to see Addison at 15, he's filled Payne's boots for Ulster and Joe seems to like what he offers.

10's more of a concern but we've always known the eggs were in the Sexton basket anyway.

Ideally Addison, Larmour, Carbery and both scrumhalves will get a lot of time to see where the team is if they're pushed into starting. If Sexton or Murray are carrying knocks Joe should take the opportunity and throw some of the depth players on in a meaningful game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Probably less lack of depth, they have Larmour and Addison but more of a lack of adaptability in the tactics. Ireland are so used to being able to leave Kearney to just do his thing without needing the 10 to drop back as well that they never tried to fix the issue before the game and took them until half time to shuffle players around to accommodate it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

The last 20 minutes of the the Scotland vs Italy game was a pretty stark illustration of 'lack of depth'

I reckon that's more a case of Scotland going "gently caress it" at 33-3 and not paying any attention rather than the players being bad. Rae and Berghan both played very well against NZ last year so it's not like they're poor players, just a massive brain fart across the board.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

10's more of a concern but we've always known the eggs were in the Sexton basket anyway.

I was about to ask if Ireland were dumb enough to exclude Ian McKinley from the 6 Nations squad, then noticed he was not only left out of his country's squad, but had played 20 minutes for Italy a few hours before :neckbeard:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Probably less lack of depth, they have Larmour and Addison but more of a lack of adaptability in the tactics. Ireland are so used to being able to leave Kearney to just do his thing without needing the 10 to drop back as well that they never tried to fix the issue before the game and took them until half time to shuffle players around to accommodate it.

There may be players with potential, but it definitely does point towards an overreliance on specific individuals.

Kieran Read had a quiet year by his lofty standards, but that was largely down to returning from back surgery, and I think long-term, Hansen and Foster will probably look to playing a fullback with a big boot at 14 to complement Ben Smith at 15, like Jordie Barrett or David Havili (both of whom are also viable long-range goalkickers) as they did against Italy to close out 2018. It was actually bizarre and at times infuriating to see them dig their heels in and refuse to acknowledge the value of having someone with a monster boot in the backline, despite the fact that they'd seen England, the Lions and the Springboks benefit from that against the All Blacks over the years. If Nonu does make it into the All Blacks (apparently that's his primary motivation in returning to NZ, and he's evidently in the best shape he's ever been in his career), it could cause problems for Ireland should they meet at the World Cup later this year (barring injury, I'd imagine the midfield selections to be Crotty, Goodhue, and two of Leinert-Brown, SBW, Laumape or Nonu).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What the gently caress is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzu3FVkg5k

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sponsorship money.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Your Scotland team to thoroughly Scotland it up against Ireland this week is:

1. Allan Dell
2. Stuart McInally
3. Simon Berghan
4. Grant Gilchrist
5. Jonny Gray
6. Ryan Wilson
7. Jamie Ritchie
8. Josh Strauss
9. Greig "Greeg" Laidlaw (C)
10. Finn Russell
11. Sean Maitland
12. Sam Johnson
13. Huw Jones
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Stuart Hogg (VC)

16. Fraser Brown
17. Jamie Bhatti
18. D'arcy Rae
19. Ben Toolis
20. Rob Harley
21. Ali Price
22. Pete Horne
23. Blair Kinghorn

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

What the gently caress is this?
BLK did a promotion with DC Comics a few years ago, which was really well received.

Look how loving serious The Honey Badger is about stopping Superman!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

Look how loving serious The Honey Badger is about stopping Superman!

Ah, Mike Harris, a.k.a. exhibit C on why Pat Lam was a loving failing failure at the Blues, due to his inability to see beyond provincial lines. Harris had been tearing it up for Harbour, proving himself to be an invaluable presence at 12, and was a clear shining light in an otherwise dark time for North Harbour supporters. Pat Lam, in the first few years of his tenure as Blues coach, had decided that under no circumstances should anyone not registered to the Auckland Rugby Union be selected unless he had no other option - and even then, he'd only field them grudgingly. Despite Harris making it clear he was one of the best available backline options, Lam was determined to ignore him, resulting in Harris taking advantage of his dual NZ-Australian citizenship and taking up an offer from the Reds. In Lam's final season at the Blues, in 2012, Harris played an instrumental role in beating the Blues at Eden Park.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Your Scotland team to thoroughly Scotland it up against Ireland this week is:

1. Allan Dell
2. Stuart McInally
3. Simon Berghan
4. Grant Gilchrist
5. Jonny Gray
6. Ryan Wilson
7. Jamie Ritchie
8. Josh Strauss
9. Greig "Greeg" Laidlaw (C)
10. Finn Russell
11. Sean Maitland
12. Sam Johnson
13. Huw Jones
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Stuart Hogg (VC)

16. Fraser Brown
17. Jamie Bhatti
18. D'arcy Rae
19. Ben Toolis
20. Rob Harley
21. Ali Price
22. Pete Horne
23. Blair Kinghorn

Kinghorn dropped to the bench after scoring a hat trick. Gotta love the 'Toonie Tombola'.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Kinghorn dropped to the bench after scoring a hat trick. Gotta love the 'Toonie Tombola'.

Reckon he's gone for experience with Maitland and as good a hattrick as it was, Ireland are a significant step up from Italy. Kinghorn will be better off the bench and can cover three positions if things go to hell.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So, Scotland to suffer the wrath of a pissed off Ireland team?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

tarbrush posted:

So, Scotland to suffer the wrath of a pissed off Ireland team?

Hoping Ireland try too hard and get punished in the first 30 then collapse but sadly I think its going to be an absolute battering,especially with the high winds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ireland are playing Kearney, so the English plan wouldn't work anyway.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Ireland are playing Kearney, so the English plan wouldn't work anyway.

Yeah, like Kearny is not the best Fullback in the world in isolation, but in that Irish team he may well be.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Apparently attacking the edge of the defence still works through

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Lol, more clownball

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

This Six Nations is going to provide us with such an awesome Yakkety Sax highlights video.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Lol, more clownball

Scotlands defence was working really well, pushing Ireland back. Time to Scotland it up!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Sexton looks hosed

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ireland look thoroughly ordinary but somehow 9 points up, we're doing for peak Scotland.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Time to see what Joey can do, Kinghorn looks dangerous again.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Ireland with some top Scotlanding there

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
This has been a thoroughly engaging half

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

tarbrush posted:

This has been a thoroughly engaging half

It seems the trick against "boring" Irish rugby is to try and make it exciting.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Aye it's not a high quality game at times but it's been a good watch, Ireland did well holding out at the end of the half but who knows how this second half will go

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's a great game so far, basically no stoppages, just all action. Scotland really pushing it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Could go either way with Carberry on too, he has plenty of potential but it's whether he can put it all together. If Scotland's back row keep the pace up in defense it could be a bit of a battering for him.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland need to stop being gently caress ups and keep hold of the ball.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Scotland just their own worst enemies this match. Could have been so different if they’d got a grip