Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd generally agree. I didn't hate s2, but it was definitely a huge step down

The scene of moses still makes me giggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I still think that GunXSword is fantastic and I recommend it especially in the lead up to the new Super Robot Wars.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Besides El Dorado Five, is there anything noteworthy of gunXsword. The main character seems to be another rogue antisocial gunslinger out for revenge, which I'm kinda burned out of from the '00s and early '10s.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The major issue with Valvrave is that it actually had a really interesting concept.

The protagonist was a character in the vein of a generic mecha protagonist like Kira Yamato or someone but he chose to sacrifice his humanity and in doing so he lost the veiner of self-justification over his actions and how his morality only lasted until it was challenged. Each of the Valvrave characters were someone who sacrifices their humanity for power and the first season hinted strongly at the idea that Haruto was going to eventually lose himself completely and go full rear end in a top hat Evil Space Dracula.Even the incredibly ill-conceived rape scene fit into this because it was the 'nice' character losing control over his urges and impulses and honestly that does fit in a vampire narrative, even if it was badly handled.

Like that's the interesting thing about Haruto. He is a character who espoused generic hero morality and then when given power chose to embrace that power over his own humanity. He was the kind of character who, when thrust into the generic protagonist situation, revealed the flaws in his character. He was a traditional vampire story kind of character put into a mecha protagonist role and that could have been super interesting.

Then in Season 2 they just kinda forget about most of the vampire stuff and almost everything established in Season 1 and instead just make it about people losing their memories because ??? (Probably due to backlash over said ill-conceived rape scene.) They toned down Haruto so that he just WAS the genuinely nice guy generic protagonist and in doing so really lost the interesting elements the first season set up. Devolving into him being a self-sacrificing amazing tragic dude who everyone in the world loves because he's so pure and good is like "lol" and also made the second season way way more boring.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 4, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

This left L-Gaim itself has become a sort of orphaned property that no one who worked on wants to promote.
Interesting. Thanks again for this writeup.

Kanos posted:

I guess the closest non-Gundam Tomino work I'd compare it to in feel and tone is Dunbine, but unlike Dunbine, L-Gaim didn't spend 2/3 of its runtime spinning its wheels and being crushingly boring. It makes sure to insert some genuinely funny Xabungle-style Tomino comedy from time to time to keep things from getting too heavy, as well.
Yeah those problems dragged Dunbine down super hard for me when I watched it last year, so hearing L-Gaim is similar in intent but done better has me intrigued.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ka0 posted:

Besides El Dorado Five, is there anything noteworthy of gunXsword. The main character seems to be another rogue antisocial gunslinger out for revenge, which I'm kinda burned out of from the '00s and early '10s.

Vann's a rogue antisocial gunslinger out for revenge, but he's really not in the mold of that type. He's not edgy, he's not an rear end in a top hat, and he's not an antihero. He doesn't even brood, outside of one or two episodes, that latter of which ends with him getting over it. He's just kind of a nice dude who has trouble socializing, and also wants to murder a man.

Aside from that, the show generally has really solid mecha designs and decent fights. A lot of the reoccurring characters are pretty fun. Besides the geriatric sentai team, a B-list Trigun baddy in a drill robot, not!Allenby from G Gundam, and not!Kira Yamato from SEEDs all show up as allies/rivals/enemies at various points. It's all fairly charming.

The baddy, when he finally shows up, is also a lot of fun to hate. He's a very charismatic character of a type that you really don't see much in mecha shows. There was a lot of speculation when the show came out that it was in part a refutation of the philosophy exposed by Gundam SEED Destiny, and you can kind of see that with him. Even without that connection, he's a fun, affable creep, that'll really make you yearn for his death.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The GunXSword episode that ends with Vann showing up on a surfboard with the most annoyed look on his face is one of the greatest episodes of anime ever made.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Gun X Sword is more or less the definition of a cult classic anime. It didn't have super high sales or anything, so we can't describe it as a huge hit compared to what was actually popular at the time, but the show has also accumulated a surprisingly decent number of fans over time whenever people actually sit down to give the series a chance.

That's why it was actually pretty cool to see a lot of folks get excited on Twitter when the series was announced for SRW T, graduating from its single appearance on a portable game, and there was even a GXS groupwatch here in ADTRW a few years ago. In short, I am glad there's still some appreciation for it.

The series gets occasionally dismissed as purely derivative by a few critics, because that's superficially true, but to me that criticism is almost like watching a Quentin Tarantino film and then loudly complaining because several sequences were very much meant to resemble some other work of fiction.

In the case of Gun X Sword you can argue some of the more obvious similarities are in fact part of the message or theme. Gundam SEED and Destiny were the main targets of criticism and mockery, but I think there's also a jab at Evangelion and other series that became popular in the wake of the decline in the production of Super Robot anime. The Eldora V isn't a random copy of GaoGaiGar but more of a tribute to that series as well as to the Eldoran saga and the sub-genre as a whole.

You can watch the series as pure entertainment and get good bang for the buck that way, but I think there's also enough in terms of implication and commentary along those lines if you want to look a little deeper into things.

Also, see what Schwarzwald wrote.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Alright I'll check it out. I also checked out amazon for Majestic Prince on bluray, but I don't think it has the movie on it, still.
Am I missing something? Most of the criticism on this show is about its weak story and characters. I agree that invading aliens is about as fresh as monkey's breath but you can't convince me the characters aren't fun and unique.
I'll posit this challenge: watch Gundam unicorn re: UC0096, take a shot of any booze each time any character doesn't change emotional range (eg; Banana is complaining/whining, next scene he's in he's still complaining/whining, take a shot) Now do the same for MJP, see which show sends you to the emergency room first.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Has there been any word on when (if?) the next Eureka Seven movie is getting a US theatrical release? I looked briefly but can only see it's planned for sometime 2019.
Kind of seems like it will be a train wreck, but I want to see it anyways for the sweet-rear end spaceships.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Am I missing something? Most of the criticism on this show is about its weak story and characters. I agree that invading aliens is about as fresh as monkey's breath but you can't convince me the characters aren't fun and unique.

Shows land differently for different people. I've only seen (and enjoyed) 4 episodes of Majestic Prince but I can easily imagine some people being more annoyed than entertained by the protagonists, at least at the start. If someone came in hoping for a cool character to get behind, they're not getting one there.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Izuru is cool... for a while.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

As with what Schwarzwald said, they have a lot of fun taking the sort of sanctimony of the protagonists in stuff like seed flipping it on its head, so that you have a villain dressing someone down saying "you only fight for vengeance, we fight to protect, and those with something to protect are always stronger!" and other stock good guy lines.

Artum fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 4, 2019

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

GunXSword is a really charming show. I'll add to what the others have said just a little bit here.

Vaan definitely isn't an edgy character and he's just as much a comedic character as he is the main hero. A fair number of bits consist of him being a huge stick in the mud or being incredibly weird about wanting to douse his meals in every condiment the restaurant will give him. This is balanced out by him wanting to put a bullet into The Claw and damned be anyone trying to stop him. The edgy character you'd think Vaan is shows up in the middle part of the show and he's a really good contrast to what Vaan could be if he completely abandoned himself to that revenge. There's one episode that has vaan sink to that character's level and it's a really important part of the show.

GunXSword has moments that feel like a response to certain parts of anime, and as someone said it's real mean towards the SEEDs in particular, but it's an enjoyable show without having that context. The show is a last of it's kinda thing from early 00s anime and it shows that. I dont think GunXSword is a perfect show, but it's a wonderful mecha anime and one of my favorites.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm getting some Trigun vibes, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Watched the first episode, and yeah, Gun X Sword seems like a pretty fun show.

(And I'm amused that the main mech is the Dann that was Thursday.)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
GunXsword is pretty good.

L-Gaim is also good:
https://twitter.com/muffinlordSA/status/965070501067542528?s=19

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm getting some Trigun vibes, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.
The best way to sum up Gun X Sword is to view as taking a whole bunch of different ideas and elements from other media (not just anime, more on that in sec), putting it all in the blender, and rolling with what comes out. To add on to what others have said, the Eldora Five crew are a little more than a nod to the Brave series, they're also a whole-cloth nod to the Nagahama robots, Combattler and Voltes in particular. No really, here's some concept artwork that shows how the team looked in their prime, and they are practically dead ringers for either Combattler or Voltes' crews (seriously, Nero and Jose could easily have been stunt doubles for Hyoma and Juzo). Aside from the Gundam SEED and Trigun vibes, the show takes a lot of cues from "Kill Bill", in that Vann's core motivation is to avenge his murdered bride-to-be at the hands of people he once knew, much like how The Bride goes about her revenge in the film. And go further down the Tarantino train, one episode basically takes the diner sequence from Pulp Fiction (you know, the "hand me my wallet" scene) and goes with "what if we took those lovebird bandits and make them the central focus of the episode?" for the setup. Sadly, the episode does not contain a drive-by cameo from Totally Not Samuel L. Jackson.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1093176914636869632

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched GaoGaiGar and Final. I'm glad I watched at least one of these Brave shows but I think I'm very much not the audience for them, though I was endeared to some of the characters by the end.

Not Volfogg though. He sucks, because he's a cop. The only character worse than Volfogg is Big Volfogg because he's the same cop but bigger. He should have been turned into light IMO.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 14, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Valvrave is insane and I wish another show like it would be made, but without the "consentual rape" scene

I think I remember the director saying that he was given leeway to just make an insane show but it just wasn't pushing the toys so they forced him to make it more serious in the second season trying to make it more appealing, instead it made it worse. Then he was allowed to release a single season show thats even crazier with the smut dialed in 100x.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

I watched GaoGaiGar and Final. I'm glad I watched at least one of these Brave shows but I think I'm very much not the audience for them, though I was endeared to some of the characters by the end.

Not Volfogg though. He sucks, because he's a cop. The only character worse than Volfogg is Big Volfogg because he's the same cop but bigger. He should have been turned into light IMO.

The only thing about Volfogg that is cop-related is his car disguise form. He's a ninja robot bodyguard and never does anything cop-related.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kanos posted:

The only thing about Volfogg that is cop-related is his car disguise form. He's a ninja robot bodyguard and never does anything cop-related.

quote:

A ninja (忍者) or shinobi (忍び) was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan. The functions of a ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, assassination and guerrilla warfare.[1]

Idk man, that second sentence sounds a lot like the police to me. Perhaps a ninja is nothing but a cop that can run up and through the trees.

I'm mostly just being silly, I thought Volfogg was cool.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Volfogg is a ninja, ninjas are always the coolest, Volfogg is the coolest QED.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Listen, if you wanna dump on robots being cops, Brave Police J-Decker is three doors to the left.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Halfway into Macross Plus.

Definitely a confident show. Staggeringly so, for the format.

As a movie, it makes sense that it's just having light bursts of action, focusing in on the characters and their wide variety of issues, letting the Sharon Apple warning signs build up naturally. But for an OVA? Even TV mech anime, where all the viewer is investing is time, rarely go more than an episode without some larger scale action. Sure, Guld and Dyson are trying to beat the poo poo out of (and maybe murder) each other, but it's still pretty small scale.

It's not expecting you to pay for the next episode because it's offering some big hook. It's expecting you to pay because it's that drat good.

(Well, okay, there's a cliffhanger for all the episodes to encourage the next purchase, but it's mostly being great looking, having a killer soundtrack, and setting up compelling characters. Also, looking at the dub, Cranston's pretty good as Dyson. He gets a lot of cocky rear end in a top hat lines that need a lot of charm in the delivery if you're not going to hate the guy, and most of them land.)

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Is anyone around here following RoosterTeeth's new mech show gen:LOCK?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Isamu is a funny character in Macross. He's absolutely one-dimensional and predictable, yet does not come across as annoying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Isamu is a funny character in Macross. He's absolutely one-dimensional and predictable, yet does not come across as annoying.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as one dimensional, even if he's pretty basic. He's got feelings for Myung he tries to bury under the flirting, despite his rivalry with Bowman escalating to attempted murder he doesn't pull out any of the really nasty cards he had, and he's willing to respect anyone being as stubborn as he is.

He's predictable, but he's got enough going on to be a good lead for the series.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Speaking of jumping into new shows, I'm 7 episodes into Tekkaman Blade. This show is such a weird thing because it feels like a 70s anime design wise with 80s and 90s anime trappings. It may be that I'm early in, but the show isn't as angsty as I've been led to believe outside of D-Boy, but even his stuff is really off because he clearly cares. They lay those hints on very early. I'm liking it a lot.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Isamu's one true love is to fly. What he feels for Myung isn't in any way more special than what he feels for a burger when hungry, that's my take.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheManSeries posted:

Speaking of jumping into new shows, I'm 7 episodes into Tekkaman Blade. This show is such a weird thing because it feels like a 70s anime design wise with 80s and 90s anime trappings. It may be that I'm early in, but the show isn't as angsty as I've been led to believe outside of D-Boy, but even his stuff is really off because he clearly cares. They lay those hints on very early. I'm liking it a lot.

Tekkaman Blade isn't terribly angsty - D-Boy is a loving champion for putting up with things as well as he does - but it ranges from melancholy to heart-crushingly tragic in tone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Tekkaman Blade isn't terribly angsty - D-Boy is a loving champion for putting up with things as well as he does - but it ranges from melancholy to heart-crushingly tragic in tone.

Yeah, it's this. Tekkaman Blade is a series that's genuinely melancholic rather than angsty. It's a series where the writers clearly enjoy just torturing the protagonist, and it's so well-done that you'll go through his suffering. I'm not easy to make cry, and I can assure you, there's an episode later on that had me in tears really loving badly. It was so masterfully executed.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
So, I'm finally catching up on the news that Ideon has been licensed and released here, and I only see the TV series is streaming right now. I'm not missing anything obvious, right? The only current way to watch Be Invoked is buying the Blu-Ray?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anshu posted:

Is anyone around here following RoosterTeeth's new mech show gen:LOCK?

I like how they've had the stones to go properly weird with the transhumanism. Especially with the reveal about who the protagonist and antagonist really are.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

I like how they've had the stones to go properly weird with the transhumanism. Especially with the reveal about who the protagonist and antagonist really are.

Yeah, that was great (and really satisfying for me, since it was almost exactly what I'd theorized after Ep 5). I'm actually more interested in the seemingly throwaway detail about Val having switched between male and female bodies "a few times now". We know nanotech is a thing, and based on dialogue in Ep 1, the Union didn't invent it, just weaponize it – so I'm imagining the process as something like a full-immersion nanite bath that rebuilds your body how you want it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Gen:Lock has been a consistently entertaining show so far. I wish the Holons had more visually distinct designs but I'll take what I can get, especially considering the production of that last episode. That time-lapse shot looked like it took some effort to produce, and did anyone else notice the deer when the Holons were coming out of the base? That deer had to be a line item.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

Gen:Lock has been a consistently entertaining show so far. I wish the Holons had more visually distinct designs but I'll take what I can get, especially considering the production of that last episode. That time-lapse shot looked like it took some effort to produce, and did anyone else notice the deer when the Holons were coming out of the base? That deer had to be a line item.

I mean, the OP makes it obvious that the Holons will diverge greatly over the course of the show. We're just in the early days before everyone figures out exactly what they want from their machines.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Hey y'all, who wants a Soul of Chogokin Getter Emperor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Me and I'm going to die 500 deaths when it sells out in the time it takes to refresh a website.