Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The_Franz posted:

there are a lot of people who just avoid anything outside of their comfort zone or won't even take a class with certain professors if there is a chance that it could hurt their grades

i've also known a few people who bragged about how smart they are, how well they did on standardized testing, etc... however, as soon as they encountered something that didn't have an answer that can be regurgitated from a book they fell apart

Tangential to this, I hate closed-book tests on coding and engineering. You know full well that in the real world you're going to have access to the material you need to succeed. Memorization helps, sure, but you can look up how to properly configure the SPI bus on a microcontroller a lot faster, and it's a lot easier, online than trying to memorize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

So apparently Discord has allowed child grooming to go unchecked?
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1091914426909892614

is this anything more than yet another "accounts are free and noone monitors private messages until they're reported, so people do crime on private messages after using plausible deniability in public rooms" thing?

Forbes is refusing to load cuz adblock again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

So apparently Discord has allowed child grooming to go unchecked?
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1091914426909892614

it says they’re investigating discord groups though; ie people using the chat service

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the best finding here is that ethicists were much more likely than other professors to believe that eating meat was a moral evil

...but they were no less likely to have eaten meat in the prior day.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol at them trying to point at the facetime bug as at all comparable to deliberately rooting teens' phones to spy on them

how many facebook devs/employees dont understand what installing a root CA on your phone permits? i know plenty of software devs at my company wouldnt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my bitter bi rival posted:

how many facebook devs/employees dont understand what installing a root CA on your phone permits? i know plenty of software devs at my company wouldnt

it tells you what it entails when you click on it

are people just granting superuser accounts on their mobile devices without reading the prompts?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why do you even have to ask?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it tells you what it entails when you click on it

are people just granting superuser accounts on their mobile devices without reading the prompts?

its 20 bucks man

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my bitter bi rival posted:

its 20 bucks man

i meant the software developers installing root certs

i don't expect a bunch of teenagers to understand or care

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh right. still yes though. im sure plenty of my coworkers would click through or just follow documentation without thinking at all about what it means because well, someone told them to do it, or whatever other reason.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i mean i know we all knew this ever since subjunctive was defending facebook's emotion experiments what- half a decade ago- but it still blows me away how aggressively amoral facebook employees in general are. like look at how many of them are justifying this by pointing out how much money they're making. it's insane

we really are repeating the 80s aren't we?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's possible someone somewhere in the product chain understood it at one point, but dollars to donuts no one since has even considered it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

i mean i know we all knew this ever since subjunctive was defending facebook's emotion experiments what- half a decade ago- but it still blows me away how aggressively amoral facebook employees in general are. like look at how many of them are justifying this by pointing out how much money they're making. it's insane

a fish rots from the head

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
milgram as a service

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Rex-Goliath posted:

I have no idea how much of this is performative social media bullshit but the FB posts I see from employees really do seem to lean hard on the "so #blessed to be making the world a better place at this job" view, which feels a bit different than the "greed is good" 80s

(or maybe it's one and the same but just one layer of indirection removed, idk)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

at least in the 80s they were honest about being greedy scumbags

sv bubbleheads seem like brainwashed cult members who actually believe their "saving the world" bullshit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the 80s and 90s were all about the idealism of potential, like “look us rich white nerds have this cool stuff just imagine when everybody on earth has access to technology and they can all talk to each other and share and collaborate it will create a new culture of ideas that will transcend identity, nation and class” and now that we’ve had a over a decade of most of the developed world online it’s clear to me it’s actually made things worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

and now that we’ve had a over a decade of most of the developed world online it’s clear to me it’s actually made things worse

let me show you limitless human potential

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

the 80s and 90s were all about the idealism of potential, like “look us rich white nerds have this cool stuff just imagine when everybody on earth has access to technology and they can all talk to each other and share and collaborate it will create a new culture of ideas that will transcend identity, nation and class” and now that we’ve had a over a decade of most of the developed world online it’s clear to me it’s actually made things worse

i'll disagree, at least w/r/t technology making things worse.

it's actively getting worse because of decades of selling lovely car culture poo poo+suburbanization, refusal to acknowledge climate change at any real significant level, refusal to do any civil work on a largescale level because we gotta pump $1 trillion annually into milgrifts and bombing browns, and resulting effects of climate change quickly turning half the world into falling apart disaster zones. coupled with economic policies of the west resulting in about 4 decades now of wage stagnation, income inequality and "economic anxiety" leading to increased fascism globally.

sure poo poo like uber or "gig" economy is bad because it's inpart actively suppressing how bad unemployment really is so it's like holding up a facade just a little bit longer, but before that it was temp workers and poo poo like that, and it'd just be worker exploitation somewhere else and it's the fundamental issue is there really is not enough work in corpo-fascism hellscape and the idea everyone has to work 40-hrs a week or else they deserve to die and starve is toxic.. facebook is actively helping genocide because of said effects but it would happen either way. but they're just side issues that poo poo is getting really bad because of climate change and worldwide oligarchy control of the worlds powers meant to ensure they stay wealthy.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 3, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

The cyberpunk movement morphed from being a counter-cultural reaction to 80s Reaganism into the mainstream Reaganism 2.0 of today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

visions of the dystopian corporate hellscape weren't a warning, they were a roadmap

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i guess my overall point is even if we didn't have the internet and cellphones, and were still using landlines and getting our news through oligarchy controlled newpapers and tv/radio news stations and having to turn on cnn or w/e to see what's happened that day, we'd still be in actively deep poo poo. possibly even worse off because our knowledge of what's going on would be (moreso) strictly controlled by the elite and there'd be a lot less ways to be vocal about things. for all we know we'd still have gay marriage and trans people basically still being illegal, even more climate change denialism, more secret brown ppl bombing wars, more fascism, and all kinds of fun stuff.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
one of the tricks I think that happened is that "economic bubbles" won't burst anymore, because the big tech companies can simply eat the cost of the bubble now.

Microsoft bought LinkedIn and GitHub, companies that do not make money, not because they thought they could make money off of them, but simply because if these large pillars failed, it would actually trigger another economic bubble. Any big "vanity purchase" (Amazon buying Twitch, for instance) is just trying to prolong the state of the bubble that keeps them in power.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how can twitch possibly not be profitable

1 bit = 1 cent to the streamer.
look at this: https://www.twitch.tv/bits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Suspicious Dish posted:

one of the tricks I think that happened is that "economic bubbles" won't burst anymore, because the big tech companies can simply eat the cost of the bubble now.

Microsoft bought LinkedIn and GitHub, companies that do not make money, not because they thought they could make money off of them, but simply because if these large pillars failed, it would actually trigger another economic bubble. Any big "vanity purchase" (Amazon buying Twitch, for instance) is just trying to prolong the state of the bubble that keeps them in power.
yeah my man i don't think that's true at all. corporations are just dumb nad shortsighted and think it'll be good for the bottom line at some point, or helping their brand achieve other brandiness related goods in popularity or decrease competition. they aren't doing it out of generosity to make it look like things are hunky dory and propping things up

also twitch isn't a vanity purchase.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
part of Amazon's business model is getting startups to build their poo poo on top of AWS. basically, they're scraping some 5-10% of the VC money that funds startups. I imagine that business is a lot more profitable than whatever terribly poo poo margins you get on Twitch bits.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/twitch-affiliate-program-cheering-12-million-dollars-1202392024/

The first tool available to Twitch Affiliates will be Cheering, which has proven very popular on the service. Since launching in late June 2016, users have sent more than 1 billion “Bits,” animated emotes in live chats on Twitch channels. That means Twitch users have already spent between $12.3 million and $14 million on Cheering (pricing for Bits ranges from $1.40 for 100 to $308 for 25,000). Twitch pays $1 to Twitch Partner for every 100 Bits used, so $10 million of that revenue has gone to creators.

$1 million is loving nothing, the server costs alone are well WELL over that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

40% is a fantastic margin though?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Microsoft bought LinkedIn and GitHub, companies that do not make money, not because they thought they could make money off of them, but simply because if these large pillars failed, it would actually trigger another economic bubble.

no they think they're going to make money off of them. linkedin revenue was 1.7 billion this quarter, it grows at 30%, and it has strategic value for the dynamics business.

the strategic value of github to the azure business is so obvious that it shouldn't need to be pointed out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is an article that, like most academic papers, makes a relatively obvious point in the first couple of paragraphs and then spends 70% of its length disappearing up its own rear end. in this case it's whether the author can be a good person if he stays in fancy hotels instead of giving all his wealth to charity (a truly groundbreaking question in ethics to be sure)

i suppose as an entity it actually supports its own thesis, that professional ethicists are no more moral than anyone else, by tricking the reader into wasting their time

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Suspicious Dish posted:

$1 million is loving nothing, the server costs alone are well WELL over that

it’s nothing to amazon but the money is something to the average person. imo it sounds like the goal of bits isn’t to directly make amazon money from the sales of bits, rather bits serve to attract streamers and thus more viewers which makes a lot more money... somehow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well they also take around 40% of subs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

0% of dubs tho

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The_Franz posted:

the apple and facebook people are having an online slapfight

this is why we need mandatory humanities and ethics courses in universities

I’ve been saying that for years. engineers and computer scientists get off way to loving easy on the humanities courses and it shows; most developers and engineers I meet are smart when it comes to math and/or physics but are embarrassingly dumb when it comes to anything else

also if I was a hiring manager I would think twice about hiring an engineer who’s willing to sell out his ethics that easily, since it will eventually just gently caress over the company. i wish they’d publish names with this poo poo so I know who to look out for

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

My Linux Rig posted:

I’ve been saying that for years. engineers and computer scientists get off way to loving easy on the humanities courses and it shows; most developers and engineers I meet are smart when it comes to math and/or physics but are embarrassingly dumb when it comes to anything else

also if I was a hiring manager I would think twice about hiring an engineer who’s willing to sell out his ethics that easily, since it will eventually just gently caress over the company. i wish they’d publish names with this poo poo so I know who to look out for

"are people trained rigorously in college ethics good people?"

Answer: no

https://aeon.co/essays/how-often-do-ethics-professors-call-their-mothers

i am going to repost this until everyone realizes god is dead, ethics class will not save you, philosophy undergrad at stanford requires an ethics class (https://philosophy.stanford.edu/degree-programs/undergraduate/major) so peter thiel went through an ethics class

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

this is an article that, like most academic papers, makes a relatively obvious point in the first couple of paragraphs and then spends 70% of its length disappearing up its own rear end. in this case it's whether the author can be a good person if he stays in fancy hotels instead of giving all his wealth to charity (a truly groundbreaking question in ethics to be sure)

i suppose as an entity it actually supports its own thesis, that professional ethicists are no more moral than anyone else, by tricking the reader into wasting their time

idk i thought it had an interesting point: the pros think about their ethics more often and deeply, but don't alter their behavior

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

i'll disagree, at least w/r/t technology making things worse.
much like a lot of tech innovation fetishism [and liberal thinking in general] there was a naive idea that more communication would magically solve existing biases but it didn’t, even before everything became centralized under a handful of companies and pwned by the global surveillance community

conveniently this type of thinking allows the people who create these things to enjoy the full benefits of capitalism secure in the belief that they’re making things better not worse

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

My Linux Rig posted:

this is not how ethical behavior works in a business setting

it starts with the normalisation of deviance. otherwise-good people learn to overlook and ignore ethical breaches, systematically, working together as a group

no individual person was the bad apple, they just got used to doing things a certain way, and then when they went an inch further, it also felt normal and unexpected

when fuckerberg tells his employees there's not really any such thing as privacy anyway, they tend to take that and run with it, because they care about the company and they believe the leadership isn't insane or evil

the engineer who isn't willing to "sell out" his ethics "easily" is a beardo who doesn't understand the group cohesion to start with, and gets fired for being useless and "not a team player"

meanwhile, none of the others feel like they "sold out" their "ethics" but the end result was the same

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

an ethics class - especially if it's a mediocre applied ethics class - isn't going to change someone's behavior. a liberal arts education that teaches students how arguments work, how narrative works, and how to both construct and deconstruct those things absolutely will (but not every time, obv no amount of anything save a guillotine could make peter thiel not a ghoul)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

an ethics class - especially if it's a mediocre applied ethics class - isn't going to change someone's behavior. a liberal arts education that teaches students how arguments work, how narrative works, and how to both construct and deconstruct those things absolutely will (but not every time, obv no amount of anything save a guillotine could make peter thiel not a ghoul)

is there evidence of this?

i have met waaay too many philosophers and peeps like them to believe that they're more ethical than the average joe

the cheeseburger philosopher study peeps didn't split by stem prof vs. liberal arts prof, iirc, but presumably someone has