Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"punks not dead" -jeff bezos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dreamed hams?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

"punks not dead" -jeff bezos

that ain't poo poo

get on my level

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So is Dreams like Occulus Quill but instead of making animations you can make playable content?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

So is Dreams like Occulus Quill but instead of making animations you can make playable content?
kinda, but it really is mostly a sequel to littlebigplanet. except the worst part about LBP is that no matter what people made, there was always a bad platformer hiding behind the scenes, sackboy was always in the mix. and sometimes it was a real pain in the rear end to build around the existing game. dreams has a very similar toolset especially for logic, but in full 3D space and without LBP's constraints. you get a physics engine, a prerigged template for making controllable puppets if you want, and then a blank canvas. dreams' equivalent to sackboy is pretty much just a mouse cursor that you can dress up. and crucially unlike LBP they make it really easy to share bits and pieces for other people to import into their dreams, so if you're bad at music or don't want to record SFX or whatever you can mooch off other people

the modelling is more like oculus medium than quill though, its digital sculpting using signed distance fields, its like working with clay

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

that ain't poo poo

get on my level

Someone needs to turn that guy on to some real punk rock bands like Nightwish or Blind Guardian.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The sharing of assets things in Dreams is really cool. Making all assets from scratch is always an issue in console exclusive creation games so musicians being able to download models and such is great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

The sharing of assets things in Dreams is really cool. Making all assets from scratch is always an issue in console exclusive creation games so musicians being able to download models and such is great.

Yeah im hype to buy it on sale in 2022 and play sone crazy cool poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The included synths and composition tools seem crazy based on some of the tunes that GB showed in their Dream stream

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/1092224787928080385

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is going to be like volition's agents of mayhem, with the same outcome

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just.. like... WHY a battle royale? For a studio with super strong design chops with a history of their releases getting overshadowed and suffocated by bigger titles in the same genre, why would they try to push into the genre with the biggest, most suffocating game in the industry right now?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
apex legends is such a boring, businessman-approved title god drat

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny to have watched the Titanfall fanbase go from mocking the first game to getting defensive about the sequel's bad sales numbers and now having to hype up a battle royale game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mutata posted:

Just.. like... WHY a battle royale? For a studio with super strong design chops with a history of their releases getting overshadowed and suffocated by bigger titles in the same genre, why would they try to push into the genre with the biggest, most suffocating game in the industry right now?

Because EA wanted them to make a BR for some reason and doesn't give a poo poo what they're actually good at. Also when it flops it makes it easier for them to close or sell off the company so quarterly profits go up.

Also I keep wanting to call it Apex Zenith because it might as well be called that for how meaningless the title is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I never played the first one but the 2nd one was obviously delightful. I heard Titanfall 2's multiplayer was good though. I'm interested to see how Apex Synergy Ultimate Battlegrounds is trying to be different from the other BRs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Titanfall 2 really wasn’t that good. The single player was alright and very short, while the multiplayer was painfully unbalanced and not fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

presumably they started development before everyone realized battle royales are a bloodbath, and have been increasingly depressed over the past year, and also I'm gonna assume there's some kind of mandate from EA. really funny to think they were acquired by EA like a month before PUBG came out

the real mystery is why isn't it called titanfall something

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Titanfall 2 really wasn’t that good. The single player was alright and very short, while the multiplayer was painfully unbalanced and not fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Titanfall 2's singleplayer gets talked about all the time because Titanfall 2's multiplayer is a huge step back from the first and not balanced.

God I miss Titanfall 1s multiplayer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hopefully 2019 is the last year we have to worry about new Battle Royals games.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hail from Distokio

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully 2019 is the last year we have to worry about new Battle Royals games.
what's the next trend

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

place your bets now!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

No more video games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

place your bets now!!
saltybet is years old now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

Competitive gatcha opening

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The next big trend will be cost cutting in the remaining successful hit franchises.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

Cross Over Battle Royale.

Fortnite Vs PUBG

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

realistic simulations of menial jobs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mutata posted:

Respawn isn't even the most egregious example, remember that Housemarque is making one

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

No, more video games!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EA is playing to their strength of burying talent in ill timed releases.

Really Pants posted:

realistic simulations of menial jobs

That ship sailed like 8 years ago. It even came back around with parody simulations then back into realistic satirical simulations. poo poo there's a horror game out about cleaning a haunted house and the best choice is to sweep the floor then gtfo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Competitive gatcha opening

That's just called FIFA

May 8, 2006

to be fair I think there is probably still lots of space to do cool stuff with battle royales, but they'd have to be made by someone not afraid to move more than a step away from PUBG/Fortnite

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I lack the ability to be outraged by NoTitansNoFallingOnlyBR because it was so inevitable and obvious once EA was onboard

We got TF out of the deal, and the Respawn guys gave me three of my favorite FPS games of all time I can't be too mad

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

to be fair I think there is probably still lots of space to do cool stuff with battle royales, but they'd have to be made by someone not afraid to move more than a step away from PUBG/Fortnite

Similarly I'd like to see more takes on monster hunter style games. Not that the real deal is bad by any means, world is still the high water mark, but I appreciate the things that the other notable entries in the genre have done to differentiate themselves. Like even just a different setting is notable.

The real question is what is the next unscrupulous monetization scheme companies will try, assuming they are compelled to finally drop loot boxes.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 4, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in the small and uncool camp of people who think Anthem has looked terrible from the get-go and hopes it bombs hard so Bioware is finally taken out back behind the barn and put out of their misery, as sad as it will be to see people lose their jobs, they haven't make a good game since ME2 (which is up for debate in some regards, admittedly, but I really liked it) and it's just loving embarrassing at this point

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

worst acquisition was Raven Software by Activision because they just became a COD studio instead of being able to make their own games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Give me 10 million dollars and I'll make a turn based tactics battle royals with the map system of jagged alliance.