Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

Renfamous decided to do a stream tonight, and, well...I realize that EVS is low-hanging fruit at this point but loving lol.

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1091844624451276800

What a petty, miserable husk of a human being.

Pretty sure he also threw a huge temper tantrum when he learned that they were streaming and he wasn’t invited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gonna go ahead and guess that he squatted in their stream chat screaming DEBATE ME DEBATE MEEEE until a mod banned him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess that he squatted in their stream chat screaming DEBATE ME DEBATE MEEEE until a mod banned him

No, by all accounts he just started a stream watching Ren's stream and all they did was say how ugly she was. Couldn't even refute a point. Just "Girl UGLY O'DOYLE RULES."

Oh, but Ethan had a super sweet set-up for watching the stream, though.

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1092044831231275008

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 3, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I dont think EVS understands what stream sniping is.

Granted, *I* dont fully understand what it is, but I don't think it's...whatever the hell that was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1092111831034970112?s=19

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

I dont think EVS understands what stream sniping is.

Granted, *I* dont fully understand what it is, but I don't think it's...whatever the hell that was.

Originally it meant playing the same game as a streamer you’re watching so you can kill/annoy them in the game. Now I think it’s been expanded to also mean rehosting a stream on your own stream, which is against the rules and is done for a variety of reasons, here being so people can watch the stream with other chuds in the chat and not support the actual stream with views. lol at it being recorded off an iPad, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

It's like these people actively want to be sued into bankruptcy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

It's like these people actively want to be sued into bankruptcy

you know how fascism as an ideology requires a constant state of being under threat from some kind of outside force to function

the comicsgate grift requires a constant state of lawsuits in order to receive donations to help cover "legal fees"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/robcacy/status/1092120221610098690?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I have stayed out of this thread because of recent soul searching that made me realize that in my time at the shop, I embodied a LOT of these mindsets. And it's awful and makes me very regretful of my time on that side of the counter.

But this.

THIS. MOTHERFUCKER.

Few people loved Mike Wieringo's work as much as I did. I own print copies of nearly every single book he ever drew. He is without a doubt my favorite artist of all time.

And this motherfucker is making GBS threads on his memory and his legacy and that is the goddamned line.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcM1kTZm-nM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cully Hamner tore into Miller for it, and Mike was all "I thought we were FRIENDS" because Hamner was polite once.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's lovely in comics when there's already books thAt are story by x written by y that do fine

I'm more likely to read those than a ghost written book with no actual writer credit

Lol, holy poo poo, same. I've been skipping millarworld books because I have no desire to read millar

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

I get the point this guy is trying to make and like, I see which discourses he's drawing from, but sheesh, where were his editors? I think he meant to say-- I think-- that if comics evolved with a phallogocentric (not phallocentric) narrative and symbolic idiom, then it's worth thinking about how the basic structures of the comics page might look without it. The right-angled panel, the gutter as a stark divider between units of meaning, etc. as apodictic: "here's what is comics, here's what is not, and that's how we parse a page"-- I get it. and I think that wondering how and why those structures are coded as "masculine" and what alternatives we ight find is well worth asking. But like:

1) woman comics artists have been asking this for decades. It's not new and this reviewer isn't doing his due diligence to 1) woman comics artists have been asking this for decades. It's not new and this reviewer isn't doing his due diligence to write as if these questions are brand ne w.
2) Gynocentrism is absolutely the wrong word, and again, an editor should have caught that the first time, let alone the other 4,200,304 times it appears to crop up.

I feel sort of bad because, like, he seems to like the book and I can only imagine that his goal in writing the review was to get more people to read it. I ask again-- where the gently caress was his editor.

The entire review is referencing and building on a classic feminist media criticism essay, Helene Cixous' "The Laugh of the Medusa." The use of phallocentrism (not phallogocentrism, although that's in there too), ecriture feminine, and gynocentrism all follow from the reviewer using Cixous' work as a lens to review Girl Town.

He maybe should have pointed out his basis for people who don't have the critical background that he does, but nothing the review says is actually wrong. The review just requires placing its criticisms in the proper context with reference to the questions that Cixous begins and the review continues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ObscureAaron/status/1092130402163077120?s=19

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Someone should kill Mike S. Miller.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Soonmot posted:

Lol, holy poo poo, same. I've been skipping millarworld books because I have no desire to read millar

See I read things because I work at a shop and if it's there and so am I, whatever, and I thought he was just turning around

loving nope

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Arivia posted:

The entire review is referencing and building on a classic feminist media criticism essay, Helene Cixous' "The Laugh of the Medusa." The use of phallocentrism (not phallogocentrism, although that's in there too), ecriture feminine, and gynocentrism all follow from the reviewer using Cixous' work as a lens to review Girl Town.

He maybe should have pointed out his basis for people who don't have the critical background that he does, but nothing the review says is actually wrong. The review just requires placing its criticisms in the proper context with reference to the questions that Cixous begins and the review continues.

TCJ being what is is, for better or worse (more often for better tbh), I'm sure he could assume pretty safely that most of his readership knows Cixous. The thing is though "The Laugh of the Medusa" is 44 years old and it's still a suggestive and powerful text but like any 44 year old thing it's showing its age. Gynocentrism is a term riddled with issues in 2019, not least of all because it's a fundamentally ciscentric term that equates feminine thinking and writing and embodiment with having a vagina (not entirely etymologically sound but the optics are bad) and often enshrines a kind of binaristic thinking that Cixous herself would resist. Yeah, that's a pedantic take and for sure I wouldn't toss out Cixous because of it-- it's hard to project any sort of gender essentialism on her when after she all she credits Joyce with writing in white ink-- but again, it's 2019, use a different word, just uncritically reiterating an essay nearly half a century old wouldn't fly in an academic journal, so why bother doing so in TCJ?

Again, I agree that the essay, despite being a disaster of tone, potentially opens up valuable questions, and that Cixous is necessary to open those questions up. And I also agree that part of the problem here is that a lot of the people irritated at the essay seem to be blaming Cixous' stylistic tics on this guy. But I also stick by "gynocentrism" being a woeful choice in 2019 to denote what Cixous meant by gynocentrism.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 4, 2019

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/mattwieringo/status/1092176357637922818

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sue himmmmmmm

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just found I'm blocked on Twitter by Bleeding Fool chud Edwin Boyette and I've never had a single interaction with him. Clearly I'm doing something right.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1092212086350987271

It's feels pretty good that none of these guys will ever set foot within a mainstream comics office ever again...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Even when they are doing the right thing the do it in such a way that it loops back to terrible.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
Why do the right thing in the most respectful manner possible? You can't OWN THE LIBS that way!!!!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh my loving god, how could Mike Miller do that? Jesus H, how is anyone that self-important and clueless?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh my loving god, how could Mike Miller do that? Jesus H, how is anyone that self-important and clueless?

His insistence that he finished the piece is baffling.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Principal Hellmann posted:

Why do the right thing in the most respectful manner possible? You can't OWN THE LIBS that way!!!!

Gonna drink raw milk to own the libs.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Everything I know about Mike Miller makes it seem like he is the dumbest person alive.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Principal Hellmann posted:

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1092212086350987271

It's feels pretty good that none of these guys will ever set foot within a mainstream comics office ever again...

Mike Miller has a very normal one online

"the final solution" what the gently caress

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Dragging Wieringo's name into this is VILE. It's truly disgusting. May they rot in hell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Every time ComicsGate crawls out of their howl they get smacked down. You'd think they'd learn.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Went down the rabbit hole a little bit (I know, I know) looking at some Comicsgate people's Twitters, and they're all bragging about how EVS and Millar and a couple others sold sketches on a stream for like $5,000 total?? And that this is proof that Comicsgate is where the big money is? And not continuing proof that this a grift for people like EVS and Millar to fleece money from chuds? And they're...like....thanking these grifters for taking their money. It's amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dude's a loving child.

https://twitter.com/themikenorton/status/1092224677597138945?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Went down the rabbit hole a little bit (I know, I know) looking at some Comicsgate people's Twitters, and they're all bragging about how EVS and Millar and a couple others sold sketches on a stream for like $5,000 total?? And that this is proof that Comicsgate is where the big money is? And not continuing proof that this a grift for people like EVS and Millar to fleece money from chuds? And they're...like....thanking these grifters for taking their money. It's amazing.

Oh, sure. And they'll brag about the fact the $40 comic they paid for is three months (and growing) late when the guy that's drawing it is has outright said he's got no script for it and spends his day making stupid YouTube videos about a single person on Tweeter who's not even in the comics industry. They have to have such self-deception or they'd go insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really have to admire Mike Miller's dedication to burning every single professional bridge he might have once had.

https://twitter.com/mkgeiger1968/status/1092539428663377926?s=19

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Rising Sun flag in his avatar pretty much sums him up on its own.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1092553236521861121

:allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boy, making GBS threads in the memory of someone who was regarded as one of the nicest people in the industry sure sounds like a great way to get work in a small, insular industry.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Usually i only post joeq when he says something dumb but i thought this was worth sharing (thread)

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/1092601795199856642?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Usually i only post joeq when he says something dumb but i thought this was worth sharing (thread)

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/1092601795199856642?s=19

What an awesome story.