Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jokes posted:

If a game is an RPG it's gonna be a bad game and you shouldn't buy it.

I fixed the post for truth.

RPGs are baby strategy games for people who can't hack it at real ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hybrid games are always poo poo and over the shoulder games are nearly always hybrid games. If a game tries to be an action adventure rpg third person shooter dating simulator it's usually a bad game

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

Both Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 were really fun games to play for 20 or 30 hours

I thought that games should either be a half hour long or endless :thunk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Panzeh posted:

If you play RPGs for the strategy (well, tactics), you are just playing it wrong :smugbert:

(Honestly whenever I see people talking about Fallout Whatever "builds" I'm like :confused: but then I remember some people just don't "get" RPGs due to chemtrails or something IDK.)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Final Fantasy Tactics was a complete incomprehensible mess with a half assed strategy rpg attached, 0.5 Tactics Ogres.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is a stain on the human race.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics was a complete incomprehensible mess with a half assed strategy rpg attached, 0.5 Tactics Ogres.

Agreed, except FFT ruled.

As far as FFTA goes, it would be a good game except for the laws.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Through a series of unusual circumstances that don't merit explaining, I once found myself essentially incapacitated for a solid week with severe food poisoning and without access to any entertainment but a PSP and copy of Final Fantasy Tactics.

All I can say is thank God for that game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a game that has always seemed like it would be good with the right amount of dedication, but actually getting to that point is for people with more patience than I'll ever have. Actually starting it is painfully boring and confusing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Panzeh posted:

mate, it sounds like you don't really understand the strategy involved in JAPANESE HIGH SCHOOL

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Remember when (maybe they still do this) they would rate video games based on a bunch of categories with "gameplay" being only one of those criteria?

Isn't that stupid? It's like judging a book and saying the words within are one of the 5 criteria by which we judge.

If it's an RPG, the gameplay always takes a backseat to story or whatever the gently caress making them bad games and usually bad stories. RPGs are this pretty much always bad with rare exception.

Except spider-man.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jokes posted:

Remember when (maybe they still do this) they would rate video games based on a bunch of categories with "gameplay" being only one of those criteria?

Isn't that stupid? It's like judging a book and saying the words within are one of the 5 criteria by which we judge.

No, because things like art and writing and voice acting are all separate from gameplay and can make or break a game, if only because there's too much of it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

it's more akin to saying that the plot of a book is only one of many criteria by which we judge it, which is actually a pretty apt analogy

my unpopular opinion is that playing a video game solely for the gameplay is poo poo and you'd be far better off just doing a rubix cube or throwing a ball against a wall repeatedly

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Bogan Krkic posted:

it's more akin to saying that the plot of a book is only one of many criteria by which we judge it, which is actually a pretty apt analogy

my unpopular opinion is that playing a video game solely for the gameplay is poo poo and you'd be far better off just doing a rubix cube or throwing a ball against a wall repeatedly

are you one of those people who gets really invested in what the plumber was doing before he fucks the lonely housewife?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bogan Krkic posted:

Go play Downwell and tell me that you need more than gameplay

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

are you one of those people who gets really invested in what the plumber was doing before he fucks the lonely housewife?

no but sound design and art direction and graphical quality and voice acting and all sorts of things are equally as important to a good game as a whole, much as a movie needs good acting and direction and cinematography and plot and special effects to be good as a whole

saying that there is only one factor to consider when judging a video game is reductive and untruthful

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

blame yourself or god

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i only judge movies by whether the pictures are pretty, because it's only ever necessary to judge things by 1 criterion after all

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

This was untrue before Crusader Kings basically merged the two genres

RPGs used to satisfy a very different itch because they were often driven by plot and worldbuilding. Planescape: Torment is cited as one of the best RPGs ever made because of those things. Likewise for Fallout 1 and 2. The gameplay is secondary in those games and that's fine

Meanwhile for a long time strategy games would often have the flimsiest veneer of plot and setting, but the games that actually tried to include those things were often well-received (Red Alert, Homeworld, etc). Still, character progression and story/plot/setting development were usually pretty rare in strategy games.

Then Paradox was like "hey let's make a strategy game that is character-driven" and everyone who liked RPGs was like "whoa holy poo poo this strategy game is awesome", likewise Endless Legend got a ton of praise because it's a strategy game that tries really hard to have the good RPG elements. I like Stellaris because it's basically doing the same thing, instead of just controlling an empire that seeks to rule the galaxy you are roleplaying as that. And there you have it, good strategy games that also include the good things about RPGs, leaving RPGs in this weird state where a lot of players can just go to the superior strategy-RPG genre to satisfy the same itch in a way better way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the second-worst thing endless legend copied from rpgs is reams of narration in 6pt font that says a fuckload of nothing

the worst thing it copied was making you equip every individual unit in a 4x game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

to be fair i bounced off of endless legend pretty hard for those reasons and more, but a lot of other people love it :shobon:

I really like Stellaris though, I started playing it like a week or so ago and so far it's like someone took MOO2 and inserted even more epic dynamic storytelling. It's got the nice quest system from Endless Legend to boot

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I tried Mario 64, and I forgot how easily it is to accidentally slide down tiny hills in super slomo.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Stellaris is indeed the poo poo. I got into it in a way that I never could with Sins of a Solar Empire.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Stellaris is indeed the poo poo. I got into it in a way that I never could with Sins of a Solar Empire.

Same, I so badly wanted to love Sins of a Solar Empire but just never got into it despite retrying it after each new expansion.

Paradox has a direct line to my heart I guess

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

stellaris owns but the last xpac is kind of poo poo. it was supposed to make things easier for the AI and the CPU but the AI is now even worse and it's almost impossible to reach the late game on a large map because it chugs like never before. thinking about rolling back to the last patch

e: also the auto sectors in practice are dumb as poo poo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 4, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

QuarkJets posted:

This was untrue before Crusader Kings basically merged the two genres

RPGs used to satisfy a very different itch because they were often driven by plot and worldbuilding. Planescape: Torment is cited as one of the best RPGs ever made because of those things. Likewise for Fallout 1 and 2. The gameplay is secondary in those games and that's fine

Meanwhile for a long time strategy games would often have the flimsiest veneer of plot and setting, but the games that actually tried to include those things were often well-received (Red Alert, Homeworld, etc). Still, character progression and story/plot/setting development were usually pretty rare in strategy games.

Then Paradox was like "hey let's make a strategy game that is character-driven" and everyone who liked RPGs was like "whoa holy poo poo this strategy game is awesome", likewise Endless Legend got a ton of praise because it's a strategy game that tries really hard to have the good RPG elements. I like Stellaris because it's basically doing the same thing, instead of just controlling an empire that seeks to rule the galaxy you are roleplaying as that. And there you have it, good strategy games that also include the good things about RPGs, leaving RPGs in this weird state where a lot of players can just go to the superior strategy-RPG genre to satisfy the same itch in a way better way.

I'm not sure Endless Legend is successful for it's 'RPG' elements. The endless series made its mark by being beautiful, something sorely overlooked by the time ES came out and is the hallmark of the series' major entries ever since. EL also has 'fluff' and 'narrative', which while present in RPGs I'm not really sure if can be called their defining characteristics.

I'm glad you like Paradox's titles, but after playing other titles and coming back to Stellaris I gotta say I can't stand it anymore, as the core gameplay, GUI, and mechanics all drive me up a wall due to being so... bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Endless series strategy games get an A+ in presentation, flavor, and uniqueness. They also, imo, get a big loving fail on the actual "4x Gameplay" portion so I don't really like them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

is civ 6 good yet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

is civ 6 good yet

wrong thread, this is the popular opinion of civ 6

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Chomp8645 posted:

The Endless series strategy games get an A+ in presentation, flavor, and uniqueness. They also, imo, get a big loving fail on the actual "4x Gameplay" portion so I don't really like them.

I agree with all of that, but I also feel that there have been no good 4X games released in years and years, I think Sins was the last one I liked? It's pretty dire.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Splatterhouse was a great ip that needs a $5-10 remake.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

I'm not sure Endless Legend is successful for it's 'RPG' elements. The endless series made its mark by being beautiful, something sorely overlooked by the time ES came out and is the hallmark of the series' major entries ever since. EL also has 'fluff' and 'narrative', which while present in RPGs I'm not really sure if can be called their defining characteristics.

World-building is absolutely a core tenet of a good RPG. And narrative more often than not is, also

Imagine if Witcher 3 took place in a forest with monsters in it, and nothing else. You just have Main Quest markers taking you from place to place, telling you to kill certain monsters, and sometimes you level up and become better at killing monsters, and get to choose which monster-killing upgrades you purchase with skill points. Technically that's still an RPG, but it's not good.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 4, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Exactly, you can make an 'RPG' without all the backstory, it'll just be a crap rpg. but still a rpg. It feels like a 'no true scotsman' argument, but defining what a role playing game is on the computer is a little tricky. Is Final Fantasy 1, the original on the NES, a RPG? Or a jRPG? We'll call Baldur's Gate a cRPG for sure, but does Witcher3 fit in the same boat? It's all a bit fuzzy imo. So pinning down 'what makes an RPG an RPG' is a bit prickly. Probably 'roleplaying' should be in there, but the FF series might argue about that.

This is basically a huge tangent (which is fine for this thread!) on me raising my eyebrow about calling Endless Legend a RPG. It's got great fluff, but I don't think anyone runs around the map trying to fit in their factions character, compared to say Stellaris where who&what you want to be is a big part of the empire building.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

World-building is absolutely a core tenet of a good RPG. And narrative more often than not is, also

Imagine if Witcher 3 took place in a forest with monsters in it, and nothing else. You just have Main Quest markers taking you from place to place, telling you to kill certain monsters, and sometimes you level up and become better at killing monsters, and get to choose which monster-killing upgrades you purchase with skill points. Technically that's still an RPG, but it's not good.

Isn't that basically Monster Hunter in a nutshell.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

story and context and visual design don't mean anything, just turn everything in games into coloured cubes standing on cubes shooting cubes at eachother with the occasional "ping" noise because sound design probably doesn't amtter either

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

story and context and visual design don't mean anything, just turn everything in games into coloured cubes standing on cubes shooting cubes at eachother with the occasional "ping" noise because sound design probably doesn't amtter either

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

but like, that game was fully voice acted and had a completely developed plot and stuff

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Pong was the pinnacle of game design

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm excited to see that Titanfall Battle Royale game. Even if it doesn't have Titans.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

veni veni veni posted:

I'm excited to see that Titanfall Battle Royale game. Even if it doesn't have Titans.

Also no wall running apparently so my interest is gone pretty much entirely now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

QuarkJets posted:

blame yourself or god

god tier game