Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
if the klook coupon doesnt work, just post it here and i can make a new one

as for transportation from narita. It depends on where you are staying, some airport buses drop you straight off in front of your hotel. I like to pack light and travel light, and prefer the trains, but if you can time it, go take a bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

if the klook coupon doesnt work, just post it here and i can make a new one

as for transportation from narita. It depends on where you are staying, some airport buses drop you straight off in front of your hotel. I like to pack light and travel light, and prefer the trains, but if you can time it, go take a bus

Okk. Looks like this is a handheld WiFi router???????? That’s pretty sweet. Have you used it before? PITA or easy?

Also we’re not sure what to do for lodging yet, whether we go to hotels or Airbnb something. My nerdy rear end wants to Airbnb in Sangenjaya because Persona, but hotels are way easier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for giving me the heads up about the racist hotel thing. Just switched all my reservations to Airbnbs. Looks like the quantity of rooms is going back up after the whole crackdown.

Snagged an Airbnb across the street from Fushimi Inari for some night time climbing action :cool: .. hopefully less crowded.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for giving me the heads up about the racist hotel thing.

I only know about that AQB or whatever chain that's racist against foreigners. Is there more (besides the usual xenophobia)?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I only know about that AQB or whatever chain that's racist against foreigners. Is there more (besides the usual xenophobia)?

APA hotel rooms have a history book in the nigh stand with a nationalistic Pro-Japan spin. Denies/downplays the Rape of Nanking and stuff like that. But from what I've read you won't get a worse treatment there just the owners support some shady causes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Also, is NEX good for going from Narita to Tokyo, or is there a better option?

NEX is probably the fastest way to get to certain parts of the city -- once you know where you're staying (you should get this organized soon) compare with the service map to see what stations it goes to and how you'd go from Narita to the final spot.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Snagged an Airbnb across the street from Fushimi Inari for some night time climbing action :cool: .. hopefully less crowded.

omg ghosts will eat you

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
NEX is fast and convenient and I think it's a great option for first time visitors, it's also covered in the rail pass for people who are going with that. Without a rail pass it's 3000 yen per trip, though, so not exactly cheap.

If you want cheap, there are highway bus options for JPY 500 to 1000 (I used Access Narita and Tokyo Shuttle before and both were pleasant) which go to/from Tokyo station.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 4, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

peanut posted:

omg ghosts will eat you

oh you can go there to get ghost munched? heck yeah

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I want worried about being treated poorly, I’d rather just not support some weird ultranationalist.

peanut posted:

omg ghosts will eat you

Wow, so much for the fabled Japanese politeness >:[

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

captkirk posted:

APA hotel rooms have a history book in the nigh stand with a nationalistic Pro-Japan spin. Denies/downplays the Rape of Nanking and stuff like that. But from what I've read you won't get a worse treatment there just the owners support some shady causes.

Ohhhhhh, well gently caress them even more.

orcane posted:

NEX is fast and convenient and I think it's a great option for first time visitors, it's also covered in the rail pass for people who are going with that. If don't use it with a rail pass it's 3000 yen per trip, though, so not exactly cheap.

If you want cheap, there are highway bus options for JPY 500 to 1000 (I used Access Narita and Tokyo Shuttle before and both were pleasant) which go to/from Tokyo station.

We're likely not going to do the JR pass since we're just going TKO->flyout, those shuttles look dece tho!! I'll let dad know our options.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Train doors do not gently caress around. I boarded a little slow and nearly got my roller bag stolen by the train door.

Also, gently caress walking around with a roller bag in Chitose. The sidewalks aren't shoveled all the way down to the concrete.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lid posted:

I'm staying next to Higashi-nakano station so now I know where I am roughly.

There’s a good fish and chips craft beer place near that station. The hangover.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for giving me the heads up about the racist hotel thing. Just switched all my reservations to Airbnbs. Looks like the quantity of rooms is going back up after the whole crackdown.

When I went there at night it was almost completely empty and spooky which was cool. The one or two times I crossed paths with someone they'd show up from a different path or behind me, and then would continue into the darkness and I'd never see them again. Maybe they were ghosts.

I didn't know what I was getting into when my friend back home told me to check it out at night, and I thought it was just gonna be a couple staircases or something, not a multi-hour climb up a mountain with branching paths and dead ends through a bunch of graveyards. I had to descend barefoot because I was wearing cycling shoes with metal cleats, and they weren't playing nice with the stone path so they were making me slip and slide. Also keep in mind that there's wild boar there at night; I could hear them off the path which put me on edge, but at that point there wasn't much I could do about it other than be alert and get stabby with my multitool. Maybe bring a walking stick or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m getting excited doing the night climb just reading that :)

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There’s a good fish and chips craft beer place near that station. The hangover.

One of my Airbnb’s is a min from this stn by foot so I’m taking notes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
On Tokyo and with my birthday coming up have stumbled on that unlike everything else with food finding a way to get access to sushi is surprisingly difficult. The reservations system is dense and websites have said should be stayed in a five star hotel for concierge service.

Anyone got any place tips or anything? I'm near Higashi-nakano so Shinjuku and shibuya are easy access for example.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lid posted:

On Tokyo and with my birthday coming up have stumbled on that unlike everything else with food finding a way to get access to sushi is surprisingly difficult. The reservations system is dense and websites have said should be stayed in a five star hotel for concierge service.

Anyone got any place tips or anything? I'm near Higashi-nakano so Shinjuku and shibuya are easy access for example.

What kind of crazy high end sushi places are you trying to go to?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

totalnewbie posted:

What kind of crazy high end sushi places are you trying to go to?

I'm not I'm trying to find anything that isn't a train or standing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
High end sushi places need 1 month in advance reservation.

If you are in a bind and you want something nice go here for lunch

Kyubey
8 Chome-7-6 Ginza, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 104-0061, Japan
+81 3-3571-6523
https://goo.gl/maps/6o6svGxUS6t

They also have a branch restaurant at the keio plaza hotel.

If you want something more accessible there’s sushi zanmai which is a 24 hour train with 3600 yen tuna sets

Japan is an orderly society where people make preparations and reservations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I went there at night it was almost completely empty and spooky which was cool. The one or two times I crossed paths with someone they'd show up from a different path or behind me, and then would continue into the darkness and I'd never see them again. Maybe they were ghosts.

I didn't know what I was getting into when my friend back home told me to check it out at night, and I thought it was just gonna be a couple staircases or something, not a multi-hour climb up a mountain with branching paths and dead ends through a bunch of graveyards. I had to descend barefoot because I was wearing cycling shoes with metal cleats, and they weren't playing nice with the stone path so they were making me slip and slide. Also keep in mind that there's wild boar there at night; I could hear them off the path which put me on edge, but at that point there wasn't much I could do about it other than be alert and get stabby with my multitool. Maybe bring a walking stick or something.

This sounds like a real good time. I might pencil this in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m going to Japan to wrestle with my wanderlust comma wild boars.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Lid posted:

Sushi zanmai

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lid posted:

https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1301/A130101/13189458/dtlmap/ is very good upper but not extreme range sushi and you shouldn't have a problem getting in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lid posted:

You’re aiming waaaaaay too high. There are standard, to-order sushi restaurants in drat near every shopping mall with a restaurant floor (note - not a food court, but a floor full of individual restaurants). Look for 寿司 on a board/sign near the entry, there’s almost always a listing of what restaurants are inside. And even given that, the cheaper places/chains are still pretty good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1301/A130101/13189458/dtlmap/ is very good upper but not extreme range sushi and you shouldn't have a problem getting in.

Go to the page in Japanese (https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1301/A130101/13189458/) and you can reserve online.

Also there's a waitress there that speaks very fluent English.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Just find the tiniest home in the wall place and cross your fingers imo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just walk into a kaitenzushi place wtf. Some of them even have English language options on the tablet. I’ve never personally booked sushi in my life.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Martytoof posted:

I’m getting excited doing the night climb just reading that :)

One of my Airbnb’s is a min from this stn by foot so I’m taking notes.

I do wanna point out that the shops along the way aren't open at night/super early in the morning. I was collecting goshuin, so I missed out on the summit one. Not sure if that'll change your plans, but it really is sorta surreal when it's dark up there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’ve never personally booked sushi in my life.

Ze flag, she ees red.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

caberham posted:

High end sushi places need 1 month in advance reservation.

If you are in a bind and you want something nice go here for lunch

Kyubey
8 Chome-7-6 Ginza, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 104-0061, Japan
+81 3-3571-6523
https://goo.gl/maps/6o6svGxUS6t

They also have a branch restaurant at the keio plaza hotel.

If you want something more accessible there’s sushi zanmai which is a 24 hour train with 3600 yen tuna sets

Japan is an orderly society where people make preparations and reservations.

Cheers my girlfriend and I got into Kyubey Shinjuku very easily. You relieved a lot of stress and anxiety, thank you.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mikeycp posted:

This sounds like a real good time. I might pencil this in.

I got there at 11pm thinking I'd be done in an hour, but I ended up collapsing in bed as the sun was rising. I thought it was just gonna be a shrine at night, but then I started following the torii and the night started going on forever. It was a new moon and the atmosphere of having everything directly outside of the paths being pitch black but being able to hear everything was so surreal. I legit have no idea what anything looks like outside of the torii, gravestones, and the odd buildings along the way. I think it's supposed to be in what's a lovely forest during the daytime.

Oh hey what's this at the back of the shrine complex?

Cool! I wonder where this leads?

oh god it's been two hours

i'm lost

they're everywhere

who's there

What's th-

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 5, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone do goshuin collecting? I kind of wanted to but when I went to Hokkaido Jingu today I had trouble trying to find a stamp book to buy.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I got there at 11pm thinking I'd be done in an hour, but I ended up collapsing in bed as the sun was rising. I thought it was just gonna be a shrine at night, but then I started following the torii and the night started going on forever. It was a new moon and the atmosphere of having everything directly outside of the paths being pitch black but being able to hear everything was so surreal. I legit have no idea what anything looks like outside of the torii, gravestones, and the odd buildings along the way. I think it's supposed to be in what's a lovely forest during the daytime.

Oh hey what's this at the back of the shrine complex?

Cool! I wonder where this leads?

oh god it's been two hours

i'm lost

they're everywhere

who's there

What's th-

gently caress this is EXTREMELY my poo poo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

captkirk posted:

Anyone do goshuin collecting? I kind of wanted to but when I went to Hokkaido Jingu today I had trouble trying to find a stamp book to buy.

You can get the book at the shrine usually. I know for a fact that Hokkaido shrine has one because my wife almost bought it when she finished her last book

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can get the book at the shrine usually. I know for a fact that Hokkaido shrine has one because my wife almost bought it when she finished her last book

Do you remember where you saw it? I walked up and down where they were selling the charms and I couldn't find the goshuin books. It doesn't help that I'm too nervous to have any interaction with anyone that doesn't come down to pointing or handing over my passport.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

captkirk posted:

I've got a complete one from Senso-ji and another from Kenkun Jinja. Gonna fill that next if I ever return to Japan. If it helps, some goshuin spots weren't actually by the charms, but had their own specific area. I've never been to Hokkaido shrine so I don't know the layout, but it was often enough that the goshuin and charm booths were separate that I learned to look for the Japanese characters for goshuin.

To piggyback off your question, does anyone know which shrines have special goshuin? There was one at Kenkun Jinja that took up two pages

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I have a big nerdy friend who collects Every Stamp Everywhere and he currently carries three different stamp books: one for the Shikoku 88 temples, one for other temples and shrines, and one bigass sketchbook for everything else like train stations and castles. He says that almost everyone has a stamp if you try asking at the office (sometimes for a fee).

Analysis: It is a good hobby to have while living in Japan.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trying to gameplan the middle of my trip. Is there somewhere in central Tokyo I can store two big suitcases for four days? I gather there is some storage at Tokyo station but I’m not sure how short-term it is and I’d rather not lug ALL my luggage to Kyoto.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You can use a takkyubin service like Yamato Kuroneko to send your luggage to your next hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or you just stash your bags in the hotel/hostel like a normal person and pick em up a few days later