Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Did everyone miss the joke with the witch where she says "It's a fair cop" thus implying that even though the method was completely backwards and rigged, she actually is a witch?

Yeah, I thought the whole joke was a subversion of Bedevere using logic to save an innocent woman. Turns out she really was a witch as she weighed the same as a duck and so there you are. She copped to it and was killed, as God intended. I didn't think the process was rigged at all, just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's like that Nicolas Cage movie Season of the Witch where witches are real and very dangerous, thus justifying all the murdering of women.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Did everyone miss the joke with the witch where she says "It's a fair cop" thus implying that even though the method was completely backwards and rigged, she actually is a witch?

I took that as her meaning, "didn't know I was a witch, but this proves it, welp"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

This probably isn't subtle to anyone, but it's blowing my mind. I have that IMDB app widget and it tells me who celebrity birthdays are today and Warwick Davis is 49 years old. That means he was 13 when he appeared in Return of the Jedi.

I would have assumed Davis was in his 60's by now.

I bought Willow this week due to buzz of a remake. Warwick Davis was 18 when he starred in it. His condition makes him look older or something because he looks like 35.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

I took that as her meaning, "didn't know I was a witch, but this proves it, welp"

That was my interpretation too, she was just agreeing that Bedevere's logic was convincing enough.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Word of warning: the movie Airplane has some parts that haven’t aged well for anyone interested in watching it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-rGnI9XNo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Word of warning: the movie Airplane has some parts that haven’t aged well for anyone interested in watching it

More like oldplaneless

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I came here to post this. Thank you, you mother father chinese dentist

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://youtu.be/qqE7ZxH7BJE

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The lady wasn't a witch. The mob was superstitious. Jesus Christ.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pretty sure it's almost impossible to find an old comedy sketch crew that didn't do blackface at one time or another. The only one that comes to mind is maybe Laurel and Hardy.

No, they did it at least once as well.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

phasmid posted:

The lady wasn't a witch. The mob was superstitious. Jesus Christ.

Yeah what the hell. The joke isn't that she really is a witch, the joke is that their logic is terrible, and her saying it's a fair cop is pretty obviously both sarcasm and resignation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

No, they did it at least once as well.

In 'Pardon Us' they went on the run from the law and spent about a quarter of the movie in blackface, picking cotton down on the plantation and singing spirituals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7-LzGU08-g

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Sulla Faex posted:

When you say the scales are rigged, is there a way visually to tell? I youtubed the scene but the quality was so awful that I'm not quite sure what's going on

e: i mean obviously from the results it must be rigged but i don't see how they did it

If I recall the scene, after they're walking away from the scales, you can see them at natural with no weights on them and they move very far off balance on their own.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

I watched it for the first time in ages last night and in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when Sir Bedevere and King Arthur are talking after he has the witch weighed against a duck, you can see in the background that the scales were misweighted.

Nah, if you look really closely the duck was still on the scales which is why that end suddenly falls lower

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Whoa, my VHS copy didn't pick that up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Holy Grail was made on a budget such that I'd easily believe any imbalance in those scales was entirely down to prop quality rather than any authorial intent.

With Flying Circus it's always worth remembering that it's an actual 50 years old this very year. Racial caricatures were accepted costume back then, for better or worse obviously, but from what I recall Python mainly used them for an effect of incongruence rather than actively perpetuate the stereotype; like, more than just using the costume already does. Like in the sketch where Idle sits in a posh theater as a Native American, and it turns out his tribe lives from acting these days (but does get into tribe wars over the scripts - look, it's still absurd comedy that lives from unexpected juxtapositions). Similar with all the mincing gay stuff.

That reminds me that one time someone wrote in asking if it was true there was a homosexual in Monty Python, and the Bible etc., and Idle wrote back saying yes indeed and they'd found him and had him shot. And then the next season Cleese wasn't on the show anymore.

All this only holds up to a degree, of course. There's a series 4 scene with Chapman as the Chinese UK ambassador where you can see what they're going for but it's still Mickey Rooney levels of bad, and I'm sure plenty more where that came from.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My Lovely Horse posted:

All this only holds up to a degree, of course. There's a series 4 scene with Chapman as the Chinese UK ambassador where you can see what they're going for but it's still Mickey Rooney levels of bad, and I'm sure plenty more where that came from.

Gilliam playing Mao Zedong at the Live at the Hollywood Bowl is ... oof.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Funnily enough one of the very few times in the show where they had an actor of (presumably) the actual nationality.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

Holy Grail was made on a budget such that I'd easily believe any imbalance in those scales was entirely down to prop quality rather than any authorial intent.

With Flying Circus it's always worth remembering that it's an actual 50 years old this very year. Racial caricatures were accepted costume back then, for better or worse obviously, but from what I recall Python mainly used them for an effect of incongruence rather than actively perpetuate the stereotype; like, more than just using the costume already does.

I agree overall with the point you're making, and obviously I am a Python fan in general, but there's also a sketch (I want to say in season 3) where the entire joke is that an Asian character is directing a Shakespearean adaptation and has changed all the l's and r's around in the script. They weren't above beating a stereotype to death.

I don't think the Pythons are generally hateful (well, I should probably narrow that down to hoping that Michael Palin is genuinely a good guy, I don't have much hope for the others) but they are of a generation of white Oxbridge graduates who absolutely were not aware of the full extent of their privilege.

MisterHutchinson has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Feb 4, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Have to slightly disagree there and say the joke is that the obviously Asian director is trying to pass himself off as a famous Italian director; which is to say "obviously" by the accepted metrics of the time of How To Code A Character As Asian, which of course are unfortunate at best. I.e. the use of the L-R-switch isn't good, but if you accept it as a convention of the time, it's an element of a funny setup.

There was a bit of an uproar a few months ago when someone who I think was a BBC director said something along the lines of "well if we put together a comedy troupe today they wouldn't be six white men" and Gilliam in particular let himself be carried away into some quite disappointing statements (including something about identifying as an attack helicopter, which considering his usual political leanings I would have thought better of him than to use such a rightwing talking point, and steal it from the internet at that), and I think the truth is somewhere around the middle: that presumably "six white men" was a fairly accurate average of who went to university back then, which is if anything more a systemic issue than one of the six white men in question's personal politics, and if a comedy troupe gathers at university today there's a much better chance they won't be just six white men; and also that regardless of who the members of a comedy troupe are, they should get together primarily because they have a similar style and write good comedy together, which can happen in any constellation of identities.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019
Yeah, Gilliam's lovely comments (he also said he identifies as a black lesbian) were very disappointing and seemed to miss the point that was being made. He (and Cleese) seemed angry at the idea that some commissioner assembled the Python team rather than them coming together naturally due to shared experiences, but failed to think any deeper as to why six white men were drawn together and why they weren't drawn to, or had any shared experiences, with women or minorities.

Gilliam also said Amber Heard was a "brilliant actress" when she accused his buddy Johnny Depp of domestic abuse and considers Family Guy/South Park the pinnacle of contemporary culture. I kinda want to see his Don Quixote (for Driver and Pryce more than anything else), but overall I think he's a lot more problematic/conservative than his sub-1984 "gently caress-the-man" filmography suggests. He seems the type to un-ironically call himself a "maverick".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

John Cleese hasn't exactly covered himself in glory with his Brexit commentary either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, it was black lesbian, not attack helicopter. Bit less crassly rightwing, but unfortunately the same idea. Either way, I think the idea that you should be able to team up with whoever you'd like without producers needing to "cast" people is valid. On the other hand: stuff like the BBC's decree that panel shows need more women certainly hasn't hurt the shows any (huge difference between panel shows and comedy troupe work, I know).

Don Quixote's a good one. He's taking a very clear position with it. Although it must be said, not exactly one he hasn't already expressed in uncertain terms before.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019
Ultimately, yes you should be able to team up with whoever you want, but people tend to mimic the hierarchies and creative teams they have seen before. If it takes a little producer interference to establish diversity and variety as the new normal, it's worth any artificiality or awkwardness in the short term. As you say, the BBC's panel show decree has (very slowly) started to normalise the presence of female comedians (as well as many other minority, differently abled or LGBT+ comics) which in turn inspires future generations to intuitively accept and seek out more diverse teams. It takes a long time though, there is still a majority of white male comedians (who are almost always the host, and the host is almost always Jimmy Carr) and any comment section under a panel show clip will have a huge amount of people complaining that X isn't funny (meaning X is female). But Gilliam obviously is not thinking about any of these social concerns, and is more concerned about his "rights" as an artist.

I'm glad to hear that about Don Quixote. I'll check it out if and when it comes out in Australia, I've just never seen a Gilliam film that wasn't less than the sum of it's parts (even if some of those parts are very good and interesting).

Oh, and yeah, Cleese is definitely developing brain worms.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Van Dis posted:

Yeah what the hell. The joke isn't that she really is a witch, the joke is that their logic is terrible, and her saying it's a fair cop is pretty obviously both sarcasm and resignation.

Thank you. That sums it up. I guess a lot of people that think Monty Python just isn't funny also think that magic is real and that everything they say is sincere for some occult reason.

"Dur, this movie portrays a witch burning amidst the satire of Dark Age mythology and so that means witches are real". Wtf.

Also if you think Gilliam is some kind of horrible bigot? You might just be missing the message of every single movie he's ever made.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019
Someone doesn't have to be a horrible bigot to be insensitive and problematic, and people can fail to live up to the message of their art.

Also, I think some people just thought there might be an additional joke that Bedevere and the townsfolk's flawed logic resulted in them falling rear end backwards into being correct
(not that they think Python is unfunny and magic is real).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Then again, you could say a message was sent in heat and that it was a momentary lapse of judgement. But what do you say after that about them? Do they follow a muse?

I get what you're saying but no real artist cares about political correctness at all.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019

phasmid posted:

Then again, you could say a message was sent in heat and that it was a momentary lapse of judgement. But what do you say after that about them? Do they follow a muse?

I get what you're saying but no real artist cares about political correctness at all.

I honestly don't know what you're trying to argue here. Gilliam has a history of saying inflammatory things due to his (self)perceived status as a reactionary. He has made films with interesting ideas and arguments, but the aforementioned point is a complicating factor when trying to appreciate them. No idea how the concept of him following a muse is related to this. Do you mean since he has a consistent vision he is a true artist and exempt from being polite or empathetic? I'm not calling on him to be censored or to stop making films, just that his comments are disappointing and make me feel slightly uncomfortable when approaching his work.

As for the statement "no real artist cares about political correctness at all", I find that to be patently adolescent edge-lord bullshit, railing against the ever changing and never fully defined straw man of "political correctness".

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Are you judging the person or the work? Why should you be uncomfortable? Like, are you proposing that he hates black lesbians?

e. And political correctness isn't edgelord bullshit. Artists will criticize the society they live in and it often gets them in trouble because they're at odds. Turner got in a lot of trouble for painting "The Slave Ship" and we can say it's heroic now because we have the futuristic luxury of perspective. At the time it cost him a lot of business and friends.

phasmid has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Feb 4, 2019

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019

phasmid posted:

Are you judging the person or the work? Why should you be uncomfortable? Like, are you proposing that he hates black lesbians?

e. And political correctness isn't edgelord bullshit. Artists will criticize the society they live in and it often gets them in trouble because they're at odds. Turner got in a lot of trouble for painting "The Slave Ship" and we can say it's heroic now because we have the futuristic luxury of perspective. At the time it cost him a lot of business and friends.

Yes, Gilliam is truly heroic for refusing to acknowledge his privilege.

I'm not proposing that he hates black lesbians. I am proposing that you are clearly a troll arguing in bad faith, so... gently caress off, I guess?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MisterHutchinson posted:

Yes, Gilliam is truly heroic for refusing to acknowledge his privilege.

I'm not proposing that he hates black lesbians. I am proposing that you are clearly a troll arguing in bad faith, so... gently caress off, I guess?

"Bad faith". The somber call of the poster with no argument left.

I like Gilliam's movies. Sorry you can't enjoy them because he said something on twitter once or whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019
You know people can have a more complicated relationship to the media they consume than just "like" or "dislike", right?

Please, enjoy Gilliam's films. In fact, why not post your favourite subtle movie moments from them? I enjoy parts of them too! Ultimately, they don't quite work for me, and yes, Gilliam's views have complicated my feelings towards them. I do not begrudge others taking pleasure in them, however.

SMM: I've always liked the little moment in Temple of Doom when Indy tips his hat to a statue of a snake, almost like showing begrudging respect to (the inanimate representation of) his fear.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

phasmid posted:

"Bad faith". The somber call of the poster with no argument left.

I like Gilliam's movies. Sorry you can't enjoy them because he said something on twitter once or whatever.

lmao

because the platform is the point, not the content of the message, right? and if people say things that you disagree with then clearly they are both incorrect and deliberately inflammatory/reactionary

it couldn't possibly be that you, yourself, might suffer from some amount of ignorance or lovely opinions? nah, that's something for other people, there's nothing for you to learn that you haven't already learned. now all that's left is to make everybody else on the internet aware of your inherent unerring capacity for determining the absolute truth of any situation ever

([s]he's calling you out for posting in bad faith because it is abundantly clear that you are not willing to consider the arguments or perspective of anybody else, and all you're interested in is finding the easiest route to establishing your pre-determined superiority over others on a topic you are absolutely not interested in considering beyond what you've already decided. that's called arguing in bad faith)

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Feb 4, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Politically correct' gets abused a LOT, but its core meaning is still basically 'what will cause the least controversy', which is obviously is a moving target. Works can be politically correct while still being offensive and regressive, and vice versa.

Of course, it's still an incredibly easy windmill for people to splat their careers against. Terry Gilliam seems like he picks fights he doesn't need to, not even counting the sexual harassment allegations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jedit posted:

What's subtle about that? It's literally the joke.

I assumed the joke was that she actually was a witch with what she says after. I just never noticed the scales being wrong in the background for one scene after.

e:

quote:

Nah, if you look really closely the duck was still on the scales which is why that end suddenly falls lower

oh, dang, that didn't come through on netflix at all

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Feb 4, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Brazil, when the workers in Sam's department are sneaking snippets of a western film when their boss isn't looking, the film music is the same theme that plays during Lancelot's rampage at Swamp Castle.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Re: Someone stating that we'll always have Mel Brooks, bad news on that front: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/mel-brooks-political-correctness-blazing-saddles-gene-wilder-a7964216.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
all old men are lovely