Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1249/5607/1

New chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Kumi was so close to killing those kids.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
how long was he waiting at that tree

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

how long was he waiting at that tree

2 days

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm kind of shocked Mangastream caught up so quickly.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm kind of shocked Mangastream caught up so quickly.

Did we ever get an explanation for why they stopped doing updates in the first place, other than the translators being pissed at Ippo's third loss and being punch drunk?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought it was mostly because for a bit nobody was getting good raw scans? I kinda thought MS was always a bit uptight on that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shindragon posted:

I thought it was mostly because for a bit nobody was getting good raw scans? I kinda thought MS was always a bit uptight on that.
Given how bad their cleaners are they should be.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
New Ippo.

Man, this is some engrossing existential poo poo going on.

https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1250/5647/1

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's actually been a while so I forgot. It's not that Ippo is actually punch drunk, he's just so far on that line that returning to the ring would be at serious risk of making him punch drunk, and quite frankly, he'd need to completely reinvent his boxing style (if George didn't hack out)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

If I recall correctly, Ippo went to a doctor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hypocrisy posted:

If I recall correctly, Ippo went to a doctor.

Who said, yeah you are on the verge.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Listen Ippo, you don't have quite enough brain damage to have had your life permanently affected... that means you can still box!!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He's too brain damaged to remember that he's brain damaged, it's fine they cancel out

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fabricated posted:

Listen Ippo, you don't have quite enough brain damage to have had your life permanently affected... that means you can still box!!

Don't worry, Ippo will absorb Takamura's Shonen powers and the brain damage will magically disappear. :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't worry, Ippo will absorb Takamura's Shonen powers and the brain damage will magically disappear. :v:
I keep waiting for the twist where Takamura actually has a detached retina and gets killed in the ring or something when he makes it into his highest weight class. Takamura being invincible is such a reliable thing for the series it's like the one narrative thing you could get the most mileage out of yanking away from the readers.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Ippo needs to channel the Samurai Spirit to unpunch drunk himself

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I know it won't happen but I'd love for ippo to actually stay retired. Like yeah, Miyata is angling to get him back in the ring, but I kinda hope he just finds joy as a trainer. Like... If he were to come back, utterly changing his style to not getting hit, that'd be the only way to accept it. But it won't happen, because a boxing manga where the protag doesn't get hit is kinda dull. He could Daniel Bryan it, or they could walk it back as a misdiagnosis, but I feel it would be narritively stronger for Ippo to remain gone.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
gently caress off Miyata. Nah, you totaly can still box, gently caress what that doctor said.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Like what is Miyata even trying to imply here? That Ippo used (possibly) being punch drunk as an excuse to stop? I'm pretty sure I remember Ippo not exactly being happy with that outcome and having to spend a while coming to terms with it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hajime no ippo: the wrong kind of punch drunk love

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Like what is Miyata even trying to imply here? That Ippo used (possibly) being punch drunk as an excuse to stop? I'm pretty sure I remember Ippo not exactly being happy with that outcome and having to spend a while coming to terms with it.

I think he's trying to find out if he was actually diagnosed with being Punch Drunk, or if someone put it into his head. And the answer is that, No, he was diagnosed and told: "Okay so you're not actually Punch Drunk, but you're basically have taken enough damage that every fight onwards is a risk of that." He made the decision to retire in the end, he was the one who said "If I lose a third time, if I can't compete anymore, then I'll end my career on my own terms."

Miyata's finding it hard to accept that Ippo just can't "Go" anymore. But the thing is, even if he can, he shouldn't. Let's assume that Ippo returns to the ring, best case scenario, he's completely shifted his style to not be hit in the face anymore. He's crossed the line, he's a monster.

He isn't ranked anymore. He's got to climb that mountain from the very bottom, and he couldn't even go through the Japanese leagues without being beaten into hamburger, is the goal Gonzalez again? Because everything we've ever seen has made it clear you're NOT getting through that without getting hit.

And even then, it's not like he leapt back into the ring after his last loss, and he was stumbling around and dropping to weak hits. Ippo's done. Even if he isn't Punch Drunk, the accumulated damage has taken his Iron Jaw, and you can't be an In-Fighter with a glass jaw.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Still can't believe Kumi got a personality after all these years. It's odd how the biggest obstacle to the comic being good was the main character boxing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Onmi posted:

I think he's trying to find out if he was actually diagnosed with being Punch Drunk, or if someone put it into his head. And the answer is that, No, he was diagnosed and told: "Okay so you're not actually Punch Drunk, but you're basically have taken enough damage that every fight onwards is a risk of that." He made the decision to retire in the end, he was the one who said "If I lose a third time, if I can't compete anymore, then I'll end my career on my own terms."

Miyata's finding it hard to accept that Ippo just can't "Go" anymore. But the thing is, even if he can, he shouldn't. Let's assume that Ippo returns to the ring, best case scenario, he's completely shifted his style to not be hit in the face anymore. He's crossed the line, he's a monster.

He isn't ranked anymore. He's got to climb that mountain from the very bottom, and he couldn't even go through the Japanese leagues without being beaten into hamburger, is the goal Gonzalez again? Because everything we've ever seen has made it clear you're NOT getting through that without getting hit.

And even then, it's not like he leapt back into the ring after his last loss, and he was stumbling around and dropping to weak hits. Ippo's done. Even if he isn't Punch Drunk, the accumulated damage has taken his Iron Jaw, and you can't be an In-Fighter with a glass jaw.

Exactly. Like, Ippo is done. And I"m fine with how the manga has been dealing with him not being a fighter. We got some progression, I mean loving Kumi got more development, hell she kissed Ippo (on the head but still). After how long NOW? What would be the goal of Ippo coming back. He cleary isn't motivated so he and Miyata can fight again.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think with how much of the story so far has been following his boxing career, Ippo's going back into the ring eventually and I expect some plot developments will let him enter at a high ranking again, or have some kind of super flashy return fight against a high profile opponent.

I do like this direction of the plot for now though since it's not typically explored in boxing shows/anime/manga etc., you might see one guy have to retire but usually it's a side character or old vet and not your protagonist.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

He's an idiot. So much of the macho sport thinking is that you dont need to stop even if you hurt all over until your body falls apart and there is no turning back anymore. I'd be pleasantly surprised if thats the actual direction the manga is going instead of having Ippo shonen himself back to shape

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you think that this doesn't end up with Ippo returning to boxing I dunno what to say.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh we know it's gonna, but still gently caress Miyata.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think a return is inevitable but I am pretty confident that Ippo will train Taihei and Kintaro first.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A return is inevitable. It's just that this path that he's currently on is the most interesting that the manga has been in at least the last two or three years.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Ippos return would feel weird because this isn't explicitly AnJ. Want a good story of a punch drunk fighter continuing despite the entire world screaming at him to stop? Congrats, it makes sense when he's a suicidal, depressed orphan with nothing else (that he can see) in his life.

Ippo is relatively fulfilled. He has an EXPLICIT goal after he finishes boxing. He has people he considers great friends. He has a life! He doesn't even have any aim pushing him in the sport - he never really cared about Ricardo, only Miyata. So if he ever returns it only would make sense it'd be to fight Miyata and then that is that - Joe fully wanted to get revenge for Carlos.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tbp posted:

Ippos return would feel weird because this isn't explicitly AnJ. Want a good story of a punch drunk fighter continuing despite the entire world screaming at him to stop? Congrats, it makes sense when he's a suicidal, depressed orphan with nothing else (that he can see) in his life.

Ippo is relatively fulfilled. He has an EXPLICIT goal after he finishes boxing. He has people he considers great friends. He has a life! He doesn't even have any aim pushing him in the sport - he never really cared about Ricardo, only Miyata. So if he ever returns it only would make sense it'd be to fight Miyata and then that is that - Joe fully wanted to get revenge for Carlos.

Grats you just death-flagged Miyata

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Crossing the line comes up over and over so either Ippo doesn't cross the line and he gets contrasted with Takamura who eventually has his retinas detached or he does and we have an AnJ scenario. It's basically, can Ippo ever respect himself and finally use his enormous hog without killing himself? Not sure what the answer will be. Too bad he never actually learned how to box, otherwise he wouldn't have to make that choice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, the way you do it is Ippo coming back for one last match against Miyata, risking his well-being so that his star-crossed lover can finally get over him (and also because Ippo himself feels blueballed on that one). I don't think the whole "crossing the line" thing works for him, it's way too tragic for someone as optimistic as Ippo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Miyata should pick a rival that doesn't have jelly for brains

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlestonJew posted:

Miyata should pick a rival that doesn't have jelly for brains

Negative. He should pick Sendo because Sendo is like the cool version of Ippo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sendo is pretty rad yeah, I wonder what he's up to

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Ippo's return & monster transformation will almost certainly be a response to a character dying. I think it's a toss-up between Takamura, the coach, or Sendo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mangastream up. Story about to go somewhere, it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Story about to go somewhere, it looks like.

Nowhere good.