Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

actually everybody should mostly take the exact courses i did in undergrad, ok?

you can take out the cs for real science if you want, and if you want to take fewer philosophy classes that's ok too but you have to mostly take the electives i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

actually everybody should mostly take the exact courses i did in undergrad, ok?

you can take out the cs for real science if you want, and if you want to take fewer philosophy classes that's ok too but you have to mostly take the electives i did

gently caress you i dont like comic books
i wanna do electives about china and robots goddamn it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sillicon valley: "ethics" and "morals" are naive concepts invented by the poor and the weak to attempt to constrain their betters from remaking the world as they see fit

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Microsoft bought LinkedIn and GitHub, companies that do not make money, not because they thought they could make money off of them, but simply because if these large pillars failed, it would actually trigger another economic bubble. Any big "vanity purchase" (Amazon buying Twitch, for instance) is just trying to prolong the state of the bubble that keeps them in power.

Microsoft bought both busecause lots of business/corporations use them a d that's their core market.

Imagine the "business intelligence" they can glean by mining every recruiters private chat to watch for trends and creating the backend to meet that demand.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"does a rigorous education in philosophy protect you from literal actual Naziism?"

answer: no

http://schwitzsplinters.blogspot.com/2010/12/nazi-philosophers.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
case in point: nazisim can be described as a philosophy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

is there evidence of this?

i have met waaay too many philosophers and peeps like them to believe that they're more ethical than the average joe

the cheeseburger philosopher study peeps didn't split by stem prof vs. liberal arts prof, iirc, but presumably someone has

"more ethical" is a pretty bad metric; xphil stuf isn't what i'm talking about either. what bsd said re: cohesion is pretty much right for that sort of stuff. i'm more talking about political action and belief, particularly with respect to susceptibility to conspiracy poo poo, failure to understand that there really are facts about the world - stuff like that

pretty much any professor of anything is enough of a turbonerd to have the exposure to the liberal arts that i'm talking about (i'm sure there's some physicist somewhere or smth but you know what i mean, and also there's def. some lit theory person who went off the deep end and really is a relativist about everything but you follow). literature and history are more useful than philosophy proper for this sort of stuff in my experience. like there's no guarantee that somebody that's been forced to do the analysis thing will continue to do it, but i meet people that are incapable of that, or at least have never done it despite having college degrees. it should be impossible to get a degree without proving that you are in fact capable of doing the very basic "understand a conceptual schema that seeks to represent the world and talk about its implications" thing

also nobody should be able to get a degree without passing a calculus class

ok im done being grumpy old man now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol well of course not i mean heidegger

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

lol well of course not i mean heidegger

but also like 50 other dudes w/ habilitation, apparently

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean none of the poo poo i'm saying could possibly prevent nazism bc im recommending basically what a college education was before it was commodified as heavily as it is now. like of course being lovely is possible, or what i'm saying would've never produced lovely people and it clearly did

if your criteria for an education framework is "is impossible to complete and remain a terrible human" then youre gonna have a real bad time

bob dobbs is dead posted:

but also like 50 other dudes w/ habilitation, apparently

well yeah no poo poo, way more than 50 im sure. there were a lot of nazis.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Microsoft bought both busecause lots of business/corporations use them a d that's their core market.

Imagine the "business intelligence" they can glean by mining every recruiters private chat to watch for trends and creating the backend to meet that demand.

ok, i'm imagining it. doesn't mean poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dc3k posted:

I’ve been following housing and rent prices since I left. I don’t think I can afford Toronto anymore. My $1500 condo would be renting for like $2000+ now. wtf?
welcome to the mike harris/doug ford no rent control hellscape.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ethics classes may not prevent lovely people but i have a hard time believing that they're going to make more lovely people and that's good enough for me

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Achmed Jones posted:

an ethics class - especially if it's a mediocre applied ethics class - isn't going to change someone's behavior. a liberal arts education that teaches students how arguments work, how narrative works, and how to both construct and deconstruct those things absolutely will (but not every time, obv no amount of anything save a guillotine could make peter thiel not a ghoul)

this is wrong

evidence: liberal arts educated students for the past 2000 or so years such a concept has existed

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Chris Knight posted:

welcome to the mike harris/doug ford no rent control hellscape.

yeah gently caress that, as much as i miss toronto im not doing the "high rent no chance of ever buying" thing anymore. gonna go back to saskatoon i think...1700+ sqft downtown condo for ~$375k is sounding pretty nice right now.

ill still be a tech shithead but at least it's not bay area style.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

My Linux Rig posted:

I’ve been saying that for years. engineers and computer scientists get off way to loving easy on the humanities courses and it shows;

Can confirm, I minimized my exposure to the humanities by taking "philosophy" courses about Logic

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
theres way too many automation / smart x commercials this super bowl

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dragon enthusiast posted:

theres way too many automation / smart x commercials this super bowl

just start ups burning money late in the boom bust cycle

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no poo poo fishmech I even said that. god you’re tedious

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

smart people invariably have incredible capacity for cognitive dissonance because they've been trained in constructing arguments and narratives and taught that minutiae and nuance are important, so when confronted with something that is inconsistent they don't have to acknowledge that it actually is. They also care about consistency as a result as well because displaying the work behind a "well actually" argument is a way of showing off your complicated self-justifications.

None of these things matter to most people, or mean anything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dc3k posted:

gonna go back to saskatoon i think...

dude, i will smother you with a pillow for free if cost is an issue

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

What up other Toronto bay area goon who's getting the gently caress out cause fuuuuuuck paying $1.5 million ($6,870 a month for 30 years with 100k down) for a piece of poo poo shack ithat is not worth my time. This area is so hosed.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

What up other Toronto bay area goon who's getting the gently caress out cause fuuuuuuck paying $1.5 million ($6,870 a month for 30 years with 100k down) for a piece of poo poo shack ithat is not worth my time. This area is so hosed.

I have bad news about Toronto in your absence.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

dc3k posted:

yeah gently caress that, as much as i miss toronto im not doing the "high rent no chance of ever buying" thing anymore. gonna go back to saskatoon i think...1700+ sqft downtown condo for ~$375k is sounding pretty nice right now.

ill still be a tech shithead but at least it's not bay area style.
yeah this is one of the big reasons why I'm contemplating going back to Edmonton (more expensive than what you listed for Saskatoon but not by a significant margin)

I'm pretty over being in a Fun Big City!!! and just want to live in a pleasant city with a vegetable garden in my back yard and no walls shared with other human beings

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dijkstracula posted:

I'm contemplating going back to Edmonton
reminder

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

James Baud posted:

I have bad news about Toronto in your absence.

Nah, gently caress Toronto. Went back recently and after feeling like I was in a boring version of a big city I remembered why I left. Parts of Toronto feel like my grandmas basement while others like a poor man's Singapore without the transit infrastructure.

I got citizenship so I dont have to move back to Canada until global warming causes civil war to erupt in the US. So like, 5-10 years.

Basically I won the work lottery so we're out (wfh with international org, keep salary if i move).

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

FMguru posted:

reminder

I grew up on the other side of Argyle so the Goose Looney's dunk slays me every time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dijkstracula posted:

I grew up on the other side of Argyle so the Goose Looney's dunk slays me every time

goose loonie's is famous in america for being the place where the red wings got drunk after a playoffs game and threw the cup to the oilers

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/sophiemallins/status/1092164499564572672

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:chloe:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah this is one of the big reasons why I'm contemplating going back to Edmonton (more expensive than what you listed for Saskatoon but not by a significant margin)

I'm pretty over being in a Fun Big City!!! and just want to live in a pleasant city with a vegetable garden in my back yard and no walls shared with other human beings

i ditched vancouver for halifax for pretty much the same reasons. way happier.

lmao wow.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol can’t wake up

https://twitter.com/hellobalint/status/1092374017292554240

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

I want to watch him and Zoll fight

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
zoll is currently on broadway iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

good for him

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M1hO_V04U8

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I ever have to go on stage to present for my company I'll dig out my old raver clothes from storage and come on stage to that horn track by egyptian empire

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2019

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Achmed Jones posted:

an ethics class - especially if it's a mediocre applied ethics class - isn't going to change someone's behavior. a liberal arts education that teaches students how arguments work, how narrative works, and how to both construct and deconstruct those things absolutely will (but not every time, obv no amount of anything save a guillotine could make peter thiel not a ghoul)

I had a dedicated ethics in engineering class as part of my EE undergrad at University of Maryland. It had a big segment on intellectual property and some neat thought exercises re: outsourcing and bribing, and we covered all the standard case studies, but not a whole lot stuck with me besides "don't say you can do things you can't do, and for the love of god make sure your calcs are correct."

Probably the most important class I took in terms of highlighting my bad opinions and taking me out of the beep-boop mentality was, in fact, an LGBT class that focused on intersectionality. Working in tech allows you to insulate yourself from the real world if only you do your tinkering for the moneyed, and it's important to shake off the whole just-world thing with exposure to the segments of society that don't really serve those interests. People in a design decision-making role need to be exposed to real, living people and their circumstances, and not just the handpicked canonical cases that affected enough rich people to be of purported societal concern.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

smart people invariably have incredible capacity for cognitive dissonance because they've been trained in constructing arguments and narratives and taught that minutiae and nuance are important, so when confronted with something that is inconsistent they don't have to acknowledge that it actually is. They also care about consistency as a result as well because displaying the work behind a "well actually" argument is a way of showing off your complicated self-justifications.

None of these things matter to most people, or mean anything.

this post gets it exactly right. i took plenty of philosophy classes in college, including ethics. as an adult, i already knew right from wrong, and the contrived dilemmas presented in philosophy classes are thought experiments that have almost no bearing on everyday life. an ethics class teaches you how to rationalize your behavior to people who care about that kind of lip service. it doesn't make you a better person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/erikfinman/status/1084920197952167936