Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

These comics are pretty great

"Later, nerds." made me legit laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
thanku friends :>

Slippery posted:

Oh man Phiz you're really hashing my mellow here. Is it the case that Ray Bradbury is (well, was) a sex weirdo? Please say it ain't so... I guess I'll have to google around. Man, 'Lafayette, Farewell' is one of my all time favorite stories, too.

also, the rest of that post was very good. so, nicely done :)

I'm half-remembering a blog post from prolly nearly a decade ago, but the story I remember goes that he was at his villa with another writer, who found him in a room painting a portrait of a child who was naked and crying. There were allegations of bribes, but I'm hashing this out not to make the accusation but to see if anyone else has a more substantial proof than "something I might be remembering about a different sci-fi luminary from the Bad Ole Days."

Whybird posted:

I think it's the same problem death metal had. If you're not gonna do enough to kick out the people wearing swastikas to be ~*~edgy~*~ you're gonna provide protective colouration for the people wearing swastikas because they think white people are the master race. By the same token, if you fetishize a period in history where men were inherently superior to women because you like the aesthetic, you're gonna create a nice, comfy playground for people who think that women having no rights is good and cool

ugh, yeah exactly. steampunk could have been a really insightful look into how the western psyche is still shaped by profoundly regressive views on sex and relationships but instead BRASS GEARS GOGGLES & BROWN BROWN BROWN. At least Guns of Icarus was fun.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Das Boo posted:

poo poo, okay. I can't quite parse this. I'm hoping it's because I'm sick in bed at 4 AM, but it reads like she's talking around it very hard. I'm not trying to criticize her, I just really don't understand what happened. :ohdear:

It’s not just you. She’s a very bad communicator and it makes it hard to parse. I’m just gonna assume something happened instead of hacking through it; undergrad creative writing professor get paid to do that poo poo for a reason.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Slippery posted:

Oh man Phiz you're really hashing my mellow here. Is it the case that Ray Bradbury is (well, was) a sex weirdo? Please say it ain't so... I guess I'll have to google around. Man, 'Lafayette, Farewell' is one of my all time favorite stories, too.
I don‘t know about “sex weirdo” but downloading this collection of interviews and searching for terms like “negro”/“black”, “homosexual”, “women’s libber”, etc. didn’t do my opinion of him any favors.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I don‘t know about “sex weirdo” but downloading this collection of interviews and searching for terms like “negro”/“black”, “homosexual”, “women’s libber”, etc. didn’t do my opinion of him any favors.

Ugh, that sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just assume every white dude who was a successful writer in the 70s said something terrible about women or minorities back then.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also most white dudes today.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

mysterious frankie posted:

It’s not just you. She’s a very bad communicator and it makes it hard to parse. I’m just gonna assume something happened instead of hacking through it; undergrad creative writing professor get paid to do that poo poo for a reason.

I've read it twice now, and it seems like her complaint is that his romantic and horny texts were actually deceptive and malicious tricks. Maybe I'm missing something.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like these ones

more

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's basically the female Ronnie but it's ok, I kind of like it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Phlegmish posted:

It's basically the female Ronnie but it's ok, I kind of like it

It does have less anime in it...

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Samovar posted:

It does have less anime in it...

yeah but it's good anyway

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
She's got some Beaton expressions going, with a touch of hyperboleandahalf.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sarah's Scribbles is good

Shamshel
Sep 20, 2003

Angel of phallic symbols

lifg posted:

I don't understand the hoopla. Masterclass doesn't pretend to be a college, it doesn't offer a degree or certificate or promise career advancement. It's just a way to learn something new from an expert

If you don't see the hoopla behind someone retweeting crowdfunding requests for their own for profit class, I don't think anyone can help you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Today's Oglaf is pretty high quality:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

She's got some Beaton expressions going, with a touch of hyperboleandahalf.

I pictured you saying this while swirling a wine glass.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Karate Bastard posted:

I like these ones

Don't doxx me!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shamshel posted:

If you don't see the hoopla behind someone retweeting crowdfunding requests for their own for profit class, I don't think anyone can help you.

I mean it's absolutely a lovely thing to do with capitalism but at least it isn't someone going to a for profit college. It's basically the same as going to a for profit seminar only more expensive and on the internet so you can't even go to a book signing afterwards

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Shamshel posted:

He made a class, and is promoting it. I wish all artists would do the same.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Shamshel posted:

Not being willing to pay for someone to attend a lecture you are putting on is probably a different tier of choice than the other things that people choose to disown someones creative works over though.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Shamshel posted:

This ain't it, chief. He wants to help people attend his class who couldn't afford to otherwise, and helping them find ways to afford it is about the only way he can do that. He can't just pay for them to go, because if he did that he'd be (seen as being) obliged to pay for everyone to go, at which point the class may as well be free and your complaint settles comfortably and predictably into the classic "teachers and writers shouldn't be paid for their time".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That dril budget tweet being retweeted by the candle manufacturer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

I mean it's absolutely a lovely thing to do with capitalism but at least it isn't someone going to a for profit college. It's basically the same as going to a for profit seminar only more expensive and on the internet so you can't even go to a book signing afterwards

Eh, it depends on the seminar. I googled it and some of Gaiman's in-person seminars/talks are as cheap as $20 to $60 for 60 to 90 minutes but he also does seminars at weekend retreats where the minimum attendance fee is $500.

The MasterClass that the people in the Tweets were trying to raise money for are $90 and they get access to 4+ hours of video for their money. It's not something I'd be interested in but that woman in the OP tweet who was currently doing the class sounded super happy with what she was getting. :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say the real problem is that Gaiman is a poo poo writer.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'd say the real problem is that Gaiman is a poo poo writer.

that take is hot as gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boar guy posted:

Look who the poster is and be informed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That dril budget tweet being retweeted by the candle manufacturer.

Was it dril who tweeted at Big Dog Shirts asking where he could get one of the shirts that says the US deserved 9/11?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

boar guy posted:

The best thing he's written is that issue of Sandman with old Shakespeare, and even that wasn't really that remarkable.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was it dril who tweeted at Big Dog Shirts asking where he could get one of the shirts that says the US deserved 9/11?

https://me.me/i/wint-dril-bigdogclub-whats-the-deal-with-the-911-shirt-af6fac1b84b34159ad08838661f5a564

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ImpAtom posted:

Look who the poster is and be informed.

That is a very weird rapsheet. That's the most specific kind of rear end in a top hat I've ever seen on this forum.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That is a very weird rapsheet. That's the most specific kind of rear end in a top hat I've ever seen on this forum.

We're only 35 days into a new year and BotL has spent 33.75 of those days on probation.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Haha the only reason they said one issue of Sandman was any good is because of a mod challenge issued on the 2nd to be positive, or else, and they couldn’t even get that down on paper without adding some poo poo at the end. It takes all kinds cuz it has no taste.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No, that issue with old Shakespeare is genuinely entertaining, but not any kind of masterpiece.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
See, that's actually my least favorite bit because I feel like way too much of Gaiman's writing is just "See that reference I just made? I was very clever for making it, and you are very clever for getting it." :smug:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:ssh: those are BotL's favorite parts

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
BraevestOfTheLumps

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

BraevestOfTheLumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Chitin posted:

See, that's actually my least favorite bit because I feel like way too much of Gaiman's writing is just "See that reference I just made? I was very clever for making it, and you are very clever for getting it." :smug:

That's his shtick to a T and why his most ardent supporters & readers are failed writers who studied Literature in college because they assumed they'd become a college professor at some point.

Hey, PYF comics thread, what the gently caress is Comicsgate? I'm assuming it's bad because Ian Michaels Cheong has feelings about it.