Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and that story about the woman with lead poisoning from mussel shells is infuriating to me. she showed symptoms of neurological damage for fifteen years, including super obvious symptoms like slurring her speech and losing her hearing, and she went to neurologists and endocrinologists and psychiatrists and everyone else, and at no point did anyone go "well let's just do a full blood panel" to test for poo poo like lead poisoning?

christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm a paramedic. When I first got out I worked as a bartender because there really weren''t any ASE jobs around that were hiring, and I never certified in anything to do with HVAC, so I went to restaurants thinking I'd work in the kitchen. Unfortunately, managers generally liked my personality and wanted me behind the bar. Did that to put myself through school, graduated with my AS: EMS and my BS: Fire Sciences. I worked for a busy, urban 911 service before doing Critical Care, and eventually transitioning into the hospital, in the emergency department. Now I'm back in school again, this time to get my RN.

:lol: at anyone who says their life is over because they committed a crime. I did time for armed robbery, and have somehow I'm white. How tf else do you think I could do this? gotten my poo poo back together.

Good for you goon.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I had an ex who'd sulk about and whine because he claimed he'd never get a job with a felony conviction (for white collar poo poo related to an international weed ring).

He's white.

He ended up moving to Germany, and he keeps texting me to say, "WHY DIDN'T I JUST GET A UPS JOB I AM SUCH AN IDIOT."

Yeah.

Yeah you are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chomp8645 posted:

Drive forward.

I’ll allow it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sagebrush posted:

oh and that story about the woman with lead poisoning from mussel shells is infuriating to me. she showed symptoms of neurological damage for fifteen years, including super obvious symptoms like slurring her speech and losing her hearing, and she went to neurologists and endocrinologists and psychiatrists and everyone else, and at no point did anyone go "well let's just do a full blood panel" to test for poo poo like lead poisoning?

christ

I'm not victim blaming, but how do you not know a fairly well known characteristic of your chosen medium? Mussles basically saved Lake Erie because they filter and collect heavy metals. Hopefully she gets better or at least improves somewhat. Also wondering if the doctors initially wrote it off as MS and kept chasing that rabbit despite tests coming back negative.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

I'm not victim blaming, but how do you not know a fairly well known characteristic of your chosen medium? Mussles basically saved Lake Erie because they filter and collect heavy metals. Hopefully she gets better or at least improves somewhat. Also wondering if the doctors initially wrote it off as MS and kept chasing that rabbit despite tests coming back negative.

Even if she knew, and there's no reason she would need to know that in order to use the shells for her purposes, that doesn't mean she understands the mechanics of heavy-metal poisoning. Your body processes waste into urine, but the urine doesn't just hang around in your body forever. She might have known mussels clean water, but not known they keep a lot of that stuff around in their shells.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If the mussels take heavy metal out of water, why don’t they take it out of humans?!?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Any time the instructions following accidental ingestion are, "do NOT induce vomitting," you're playing with some real serious poo poo.

Nah. You don't really want to induce vomiting, unless you're in a hospital setting. For one thing, vomiting really just isn't all that effective at removing whatever toxic substance you ingested. And more importantly, the risk of aspiration making things worse is just too high. Basically in a first aid setting you never want to induce vomiting, and doctors have long since stopped advising the use of ipecac or similar.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/112/5/1182.full.pdf

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Subjunctive posted:

If the mussels take heavy metal out of water, why don’t they take it out of humans?!?

Walking round like one of the Cursed Crew from the Flying Dutchman oh it’s for my health

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 4, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, just feed yourself to a bed of mussels, that'll clean it your toxins

Also you will have been eaten, whatever

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Memento posted:

Oh yeah, just feed yourself to a bed of mussels, that'll clean it your toxins

Also you will have been eaten, whatever

win/win

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

A more insane version of knife-eye attack, which is rad; but...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cyclops cut-rate stepbrother isn’t looking so great :(

schmug
May 20, 2007

Blistex posted:

Mussles basically saved Lake Erie because they filter and collect heavy metals.

You do know that they almost killed it at the same time and the lake is now recovering more from them than because of them?

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/zebramussels_threaten

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201704010001

schmug fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 4, 2019

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

chitoryu12 posted:

Sure, but if I cut corners it’s a minor clerical error that has relatively few consequences and is easily fixed. If the guys calculating load weight cut corners, stuff explodes and people die.

This is only true up to a point. This whole discussion started because we were talking about an incident where a guy calculating load weight cut corners and then there was an incident, but it isn't at all clear the two are related.

I'm not suggesting people in those positions are OK to cut corners, but when you're looking at an incident after the fact you have to consider if it actually caused what happened. I've lost count of the amount of investigations I've read that contained words to the effect of:

"Staff member X was not carrying correct equipment for the operating instructions for this location. On balance of probabilities this was not considered to be a causal factor in this incident. Staff member X has been rebriefed on local instructions."

It's still essential to point out the corner cutting, and look into if its a one off and what further impact it might have, but it's possible to use it to mask real causes and that could be dangerous.

Best example I can think of relates to the Clapham Junction crash from 1988 that I wrote about a while ago. Because the rule book was unclear several drivers went past irregular signal sequences and failed to report it. If they'd reported it maybe the fault would have been found before the crash. So the failure to report is definitely causal.

One of those drivers wasn't the booked driver of the train in question. They had done a "fiddle" with a colleague to swap work around. Happens lots. The widow of the driver who was killed in the crash made representations to the inquiry that the fiddle was a causal factor, or words to that effect. If the booked driver had been driving then the signal would have been reported and the crash prevented.

The inquiry concluded that fiddles like that were bad practice and should be stopped (lol, they have not been). But it also concluded that the fault wouldn't have been reported even if everything was done above board because the rulebook was unclear. If the inquiry had just looked for where practice fell short of agreed procedure it might have missed systemic problems and ultimately not really solved anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

schmug posted:

You do know that they almost killed it at the same time and the lake is now recovering more from them than because of them?

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/zebramussels_threaten

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201704010001

They’re a net negative for the environment, but they do get nasty industrial effluents out of the water.

quote:

Zebra mussels can bioaccumulate polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heavy metals due to their filtering capacity. As a result, this has implications for human health. PAH concentrations in some recreational fish have increased 11 to 18 fold in Lake Erie, which approach limits for fish consumption advisories. Research also shows that concentrations in waterfowl increased.

I mean now it’s in the food supply, but at least it’s not in the water.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/fVoN2Lf.mp4

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh, so that's how you're supposed to get it under the bridge.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/bX2Xpv7.mp4

Worker didn't get paid for several months, took the opportunity to express his frustrations on his boss's car.

Also I can't tell if those are snow chains on the tires or the new fancy 3D-printed self-healing wheels. Probably the former, but the latter would be cool too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

krinklechip posted:

A more insane version of knife-eye attack, which is rad; but...

So why you posting this white supremacists meme?

How OSHA is cleaning smoker's PCs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOIn9iMt9lc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Junkie Disease posted:

I WORKED IN A COMPUTER SHOP AND THIS WAS MY NIGHTMARE SITUATION

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iospace posted:

Same.

I think the roaches were worse but the smoker's PCs were a close second.

The best were sometimes the moms would bring in a PC with her kid and the kid would admit that he liked to feed money or playing cards into the laptop's slot reader CD drive :3:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

I think I have photos of the sludged computer a filthy palette swap of Fred and Carrie from Portlandia brought into the SEO shop one time. That one was definitely a, "Get me an entire box of nitrile gloves, the spray paint respirator, and all the fume extractors you can find," situation. I'll see if I can find them.

Better or worse than the time I opened a Sega Genesis to do some maintenance and found a pile of fried beetles inside? Definitely worse. At least dead bugs don't smell like much of anything.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

iospace posted:

I used to work at a camera store/one-hour photo place (Ritz Camera, yes I'm old). More than once we had a customer bring in a camera that "just stopped working", only to find it full of roaches when you opened the case. We started opening them inside a plastic bag just in case.

Northwest Mall, I don't miss you or the parade of crazies that roamed your slowly dying shops.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
The keyboards, mice and the monitors were always the worst to replace when working a deskside gig. You'd get the poo poo from some greasy fatty and it would have buildup on the mouse and keyboard and splatter marks all over the monitor from non-stop eating and zit popping :barf:

schmug
May 20, 2007

"zit" popping. haha

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Junkie Disease posted:

How does smoking cause that? Isn’t it just lint?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The tar and other gross poo poo from the cigarettes makes the lint and dust sticky, and it all just gloms on to the inside of the case.

I worked mom and pop computer repair for a while just out of college, and it was always the smokers that you dread. We had an industrial air compressor and would blow these things out in the back parking lot. The worst one I ever opened was not only caked in smoker garbage, but had a partially decomposed / slightly gelled dead mouse in the bottom. Luckily that one ended up being a "remove hard drive, transfer data to new desktop" so we just pulled the drive and chucked the rest in the bin.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh godsdamnitsomuch. Did a search, and not to derail, but WOW he lost his drat mind.

As penance, have some totally not a problem electrical work.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I do cell phone & tablet repair, and usually the worst I get is someone handing me a phone, then telling me it was dropped in the toilet. Plenty of dusty and cruddy ones, but there's not much space in them to hold dead bugs and stuff.

Though I did once find a chunk of Cheeto underneath the LCD on an iPad. I have no idea how they managed that.

Reign Of Pain posted:

The keyboards, mice and the monitors were always the worst to replace when working a deskside gig. You'd get the poo poo from some greasy fatty and it would have buildup on the mouse and keyboard and splatter marks all over the monitor from non-stop eating and zit popping :barf:

My monitors at home constantly have dried crud on them, and for a long time I couldn't figure out how it was happening. Then I noticed my cats would stand on my desk, and either sneeze or shake their heads around and gently spatter them with cat spit. I love my cats, but at the same time, I can't wait until I no longer have cats.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

TVs Ian posted:

I love my cats, but at the same time, I can't wait until I no longer have cats.

This feeling lasts maaaaybe six months, then you’re back at the shelter poking your finger into cages to scritch cat ears.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This feeling lasts maaaaybe six months, then you’re back at the shelter poking your finger into cages to scritch cat ears.

Yeah, that's the toxo kicking in

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TVs Ian posted:

I love my cats, but at the same time, I can't wait until I no longer have cats.

be the change you want to see in the world

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/kQaeCh6.gifv

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

And I though the Fast and Furious series no longer had Diesel

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Cleaning and restoring the ceiling Grand Central Station was basically the same- they even left a square of tobacco sludge on the ceiling:

Big link- the crab is pointing at it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/NYC_Grand_Central_Terminal_ceiling.jpg

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 4, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Well, I'll be damned -- actual multi-track drifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

DarkDobe posted:

Metal shop: Instructor explains no uncertain terms 'do not short these car battery terminals - they will melt whatever you put across them and/or explode'. Within 15 minutes an idiot put a wrench across the terminals for the lols. We were down a wrench, a battery and a student after that. He got expelled.

When I was in the army, a guy in my battalion accidentally put a metal jerry can full of JP8 across the terminals of the battery in the Bv-206 he was doing maintainance on (the batteries are under one of the rear seats, so he thought he was putting the can on the seat). The depot sprinkler system only had water, not foam. Bonus fun fact: The -206 is mostly made of glass fiber and plastic.

As an aside, the armoury had a framed photograph of a G3 that a previous recruit had decided to stress test by filling the barrel with powder from three or four blanks and firing it with another blank stuffed in the muzzle. Amazingly, the flash hider was strong enough to hold the front end of the barrel in one piece.