Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Here I was wondering if I was crazy for thinking MOTYC for Halftime Heat, but I was getting the same joy I would get from Toryumon/DG 6-mans.

Nth’d!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Johnny Gargano, Tommaso Ciampa, and Adam Cole vs Velveteen Dream, Alister Black, and Ricochet. Halftime Heat 2/3/19

nth

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I'll back Halftime Heat as MOTY.

Edit: That's seven.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
it was a fun match, but it wasn't a match of the year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm probably the only one who watched it, but yesterday's World's Collide tournament had a bunch of HM's imo

I had no idea it had even aired, hell I wouldn't have even known it existed if I hadn't heard it mentioned on the Observer, I either zoned out during WWE's promotion of it or they never actually promoted it on their shows.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

They mentioned it during the Rumble because I remember everyone physically in the room going "What the heck?" and everyone on twitter being hype for it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Veto

Senerio fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 17, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

it was a fun match, but it wasn't a match of the year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's all but 2 or 3 of the MOTYC list anyway.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nth MOTYC for halftime heat that was hell of fun

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Veto

Senerio fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 17, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm probably the only one who watched it, but yesterday's World's Collide tournament had a bunch of HM's imo
Tyler Bate vs Donovan Dijakovic Quarter Finals
Velveteen Dream vs Jordan Devlin Semi Finals
Jordan Devlin vs Drew Gulak Quarter Finals
Adam Cole vs Tyler Bate Semi Finals
Velveteen Dream vs Tyler Bate Finals

nth

e:

Senerio posted:

(This criteria goes out the window if it's a smaller promotion that doesn't get enough eyes on it to be worth nominating for MOTYC. In that case I nominate HM because then it has a chance to get on the list.)

this is why it should be a two-tier system tbh: WWE, NJPW, CMLL, ROH and eventually AEW under the current system, and indie promotions under the previous system

I mean this opens up the question of ‘what is an indie/major?’ but tbh they’re the five promotions who get the most buzz/frequent nominations on SA, six if you count TNA I guess. The current system compensates for the biases of eyes on the product/major capital behind it, but it definitely hurts the chances that smaller promotions’ll be recognised for outstanding matches at the end of the year, especially if they don’t have regular TV or w/e

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 4, 2019

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

blast0rama posted:

Here I was wondering if I was crazy for thinking MOTYC for Halftime Heat, but I was getting the same joy I would get from Toryumon/DG 6-mans.

Nth’d!

Nthing the MOTYC for it.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Johnny Gargano, Tommaso Ciampa, and Adam Cole vs Velveteen Dream, Alister Black, and Ricochet. Halftime Heat 2/3/19

The hell with it, nthing this one. Yes, it doesn't have the background and story like most MOTYCs, but I had big smile on my face for the entire match and loved the hell out of it, so, yeah, MOTYC.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

HM: Shingo/BUSHI vs. Desperado/Kanemaru, NJPW New Beginning 2/3

Incredible second half

karmicknight posted:

HM: 3 Feb 2019, New Beginning in Sapporo - Yoshi-Hashi/Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chase Owens/Bad Luck Fale/Jay White

Nthing these both.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I feel like this might be a bit weak and might not make it, but at the very least it's a match you should give a watch.

HM: Drew Gulak vs. Matt Riddle, NXT TV, 2/6
If you like Technical matches, man is this for you.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I feel like this might be a bit weak and might not make it, but at the very least it's a match you should give a watch.

I came here to nominate this so yeah, 2nd.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Nth

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Hm: Ryo Saito, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi & Don Fujii vs YOSSINO, “brother” YASSINI, Toru Owasi & Shachihoko Machine #2
Dragon gate 2/5

So this is a t2p v Toryumon match in dragon gate and it really brings me back to why I originally loved Toryumon in the day; there’s just a great mix of comedy/action/character that sometimes I feel modern Dg misses. I think if you never watched old of this you can skip this but for me a great nostalgia match. Find a gif of YOSSINO tho.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Fourth. This match is my favorite TV match of the year thus far. So good.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

HM: Lucha Bros vs LAX (C) (Tag Team Championship match), Impact Wrestling 02.08.19

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Moty: KZY v PAC. DG. Open the dream gate 2/10

Great match. DG has done a great job of getting KZY to be a star for this match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Two more MOTYCs:

James Drake & Zack Gibson vs. Trent Seven & Tyler Bate, NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool
Andrade vs. Rey Mysterio, Best of Three Falls, Smackdown 1/22

Here's quite a few HMs:

BUSHI, EVIL, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito vs. El Desperado, Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zack Sabre Jr., Road to the New Beginning (1/20)
Mark Haskins vs. Bandido, RoH TV (2/1)
Drew Gulak vs. Matt Riddle, NXT TV (2/6)
Sugi and Hagane Shinnou vs. Ikuto Hidaka and Fuminori Abe (c), NWA International Lightweight Tag, ZERO1 Happy New Year (1/1) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkwYKJBlIk
Teddy Hart and Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Pentagon Jr. and Fenix, MLW Superfight Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QQaqJbZoxk
Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, and Stuka Jr. vs. Ephesto, Gran Guerrero, and Templario, CMLL Marca 1/4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogf9est4M8&t=108s
Finn Balor vs. Jordan Devlin, NXT UK TakeOver Blackpool
Audaz, Flyer, and Titan vs. Kawato San, Okumura, and Virus, CMLL on Martes (1/8) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrinssXH9cs&t=2438s
Soberano Jr. vs. Templario, CMLL on Marca (1/25) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Z04M-Vn2A&t=4144s
Bad Luck Fale & Jay White vs. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI, Road to the New Beginning (1/29)
Niebla Roja vs Ultimo Guerrero, CMLL Super Viernes (2/8) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dFtSXdHH0E&t=8019s
Titan vs. Triton, CMLL Marca (1/4) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogf9est4M8&t=1500s
Flamita vs. Rey Horuz, Mexa Wrestling (1/1) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0W-o3ruH_k

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Willninho posted:

Great match. DG has done a great job of getting KZY to be a star for this match.

It's okay you don't pay by the letter here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OP has been updated with what is, as far as I can tell, an accurate summary of the votes so far.

I think allowing 4-6 weeks for additional votes is reasonable, so I'll give it another week for some of the earlier matches in the "hasn't hit the threshold list" to get any additional votes. After that I'll remove them from the list to keep things from getting too cluttered. Also In the future I'll not be adding anything to the "hasn't hit the threshold" list unless it gets at least 2 votes, as otherwise we end up with a long list of single vote matches, which is a pain to track back especially if they get voted on as part of a giant list of matches going back weeks.

Some notable matches to consider:

- The Women's Royal Rumble currently has 6 HMs and 5 WMOTYCs, one more vote in either category will get it onto the respective list.
- LAX vs. Lucha Bros from Impact: Homecoming has 6 MOTYCs and just needs one more to make the list.
- Tommaso Ciampa vs. Aleister Black from Takeover Pheonix is 2 votes short of making it to the MOTY list.

The following are the best and worst matches of the year so far as voted on by Rowdy Ringsports:

Matches of the Year

01/04 | Kota Ibushi (C) vs. Will Ospreay for the Never Openweight Championship - New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 13
01/04 | Tomohiro Ishii (C) vs. Zack Sabre Jr for the Rev Pro Undisputed Heavyweight Title - New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 13
01/04 | Chris Jericho (C) vs. Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 13
01/04 | Kenny Omega (C) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 13
01/04 | Barbaro Cavernario vs. Dragon Lee - CMLL Super Fridays
01/12 | Mustache Mountain vs. Grizzled Young Vets for the NXT UK Tag Team Titles - NXT Takeover UK
01/12 | Pete Dunne (C) vs. Joe Coffey for the NXT UK Championship - NXT Takeover UK
01/18 | Soberano Jr. vs Bárbaro Cavernario - NJPW Fantasticamania
01/21 | Caristico vs Volador Jr - NJPW Fantasticamania
01/22 | Rey Mysterio vs. Andrade in a 2-out-of-3 Falls match - WWE Smackdown
01/26 | The Undisputed Era (C) vs. The War Raiders for the NXT Tag Team Titles - NXT Takeover Phoenix
01/26 | Ricochet (C) vs. Johnny Gargano for the NXT North American Championship - NXT Takeover Phoenix
01/26 | Vikingo, Myzteziz Jr and Murder Clown vs the OGTs - AAA
01/27 | Asuka (C) vs. Becky Lynch for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE Royal Rumble
02/03 | Johnny Gargano, Tommaso Ciampa and Adam Cole vs. Velveteen Dream, Alister Black, and Ricochet - WWE Halftime Heat

Worst Matches of the Year
01/14 | Super Raton, Super Muñeco and Super Pinocho vs. Rocky Santana, El Gallego and Romano Garcia - CMLL Arena Puebla
01/27 | The Bar (C) vs. Shane McMahon & The Miz for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles - WWE Royal Rumble
01/27 | The Men's Royal Rumble match - WWE Royal Rumble

MOTY by Promotion:
WWE (including NXT): 7 | New Japan: 6 | CMLL: 1 (3 if you count FantasticaMania) | AAA: 1

WMOTY by Promotion:
WWE: 2 | CMLL: 1

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 11, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Blue Demon Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr, AAA 2/10/19

4 run ins, lots of bad looking stuff that left you wondering what in the hell was going on, so half of all AAA matches. Also Dr Wagner Jr doing one of the laziest catches on Blue Demon's dive you'll ever see.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I would recommend checking out Ishimori vs Taguchi from New Beginning in Osaka.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I really enjoyed that match. Taguchi can really bring it when he wants to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs. Switchblade Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka 2/11

Pure babyface hero champion Tanahashi goes up against vile, smug little piece of poo poo Jay White in a match where both do everything they can to tear the other down. Well worth watching.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 11, 2019

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs. Switchblade Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - New Japan in Osaka 2/11

Pure babyface hero champion Tanahashi goes up against vile, smug little piece of poo poo Jay White in a match where both do everything they can to tear the other down. Well worth watching.

Nth

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I liked it more than that. Ill go a motyc for it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Me too. The reaction is perfect. The crowd are just silent. I thin it's worth a MOTYC shout. Switchblade is good

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
moytc: Jay White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi; New Beginning in Osaka

very very good match; reminded me a lot of the Tanahashi-Suzuki match from Sapporo last year which I also really enjoyed.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'll go with HM for that match.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

gently caress it, MOTYC for Knife Pervert vs Go Ace at new beginning

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Agree. Great hard-fought match with a memorable result.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Nth

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Aesculus posted:

gently caress it, MOTYC for Knife Pervert vs Go Ace at new beginning

Great match, great callbacks to their previous encounters, great result. Nth'd.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Switchblade vs Tanahashi - Probably the best Tanahashi/Switchblade match and if you think about the last one where Tana sneaked out a win the finish makes super amount of sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Willninho posted:

2nd. PAC’s best match since the one against Zayn at Takeover all those years ago.