Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Drag Race Thailand S2: "My heart just... poo poo."

Art's pink boots in the workroom are goddamn everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't think Latrice and Manila were brought in for anything other than to set a precedent that All Stars girls can compete twice. I think Manila would have been crowned if Naomi didn't chop her. (next week spoiler found out from the trailer: and monet, it looks like she picked Manila's lipstick)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just rewatched the lip sync and the queens were getting their lives in the background during the lip sync. I wish they would release the raw lip syncs so we could just see it all but I know we'll never get that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

idk if anybody watched it but Manila has a new video that appropriately dropped right after the episode and Naomi is in it and while the song is a snooze, the video is great.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Manila's music continues to be bad, but that video is goooorgeous

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

The Berzerker posted:

idk if anybody watched it but Manila has a new video that appropriately dropped right after the episode and Naomi is in it and while the song is a snooze, the video is great.

Naomi is the villain in the vid, I love

Also the song isn't great but Manila hanging with all her friends is and that is enough.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seeing all four Heathers together is a good time.

But where was Henny?? They made her a Heather too goddamnit

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

manilla owns. i am glad we got RELEASE THE BEES

guess now im rootin for naomi tho

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

spite house posted:

And another thing. Manila's sashay busted the seal on the really brutal strategic elimination, which we haven't seen so far on All-Stars because these girls are comrades for the most part. If it was shenanigans, it opens the door for more compelling TV in the future, a smart production stunt.

Does it actually make for good TV though? Were people really that hyped after AS3?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eej posted:

Does it actually make for good TV though? Were people really that hyped after AS3?

I got hyped as gently caress when the AS4 cast leaked. When the AS3 cast leaked/was revelead was only excited about Shangela, Bebe and Morgan tbh. So I wasn't expecting much going in and then it was a clusterfuck in the end.

I still like AS3 a lot, though. It could never reach the highs of AS2 or what 4 has given us, but I enjoyed everything up til the jury bullshit.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

esperterra posted:

I got hyped as gently caress when the AS4 cast leaked. When the AS3 cast leaked/was revelead was only excited about Shangela, Bebe and Morgan tbh. So I wasn't expecting much going in and then it was a clusterfuck in the end.

I still like AS3 a lot, though. It could never reach the highs of AS2 or what 4 has given us, but I enjoyed everything up til the jury bullshit.

AS3 Jury done hosed up drag.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Manila’s elimination was great. Early on, she was the one thinking out loud about axing the strongest and how it would be a game changer for allstars and then Naomi straight up did just that and murdered her when she was clearly on track to win.

...and Manila was feeling way too safe after she was the one who essentially opened pandora’s box. Maybe she should have been offering cash via paypal to stay.

Don’t get me wrong! Manila should have gone all the way but man, that was really one of the best eliminations; Latrila in the bottom, Monet having the chance to get Manila back for choosing her lipstick, Naomi killing her Lady Bunny without flinching, Manila’s original strategy biting her in the rear end... it’s a loving Greek tragedy.

Also Trinity’s boyfriend is hot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You could make the case Manila took her eye off the ball by getting to do the episode with her husband but there were just so many question marks that the only way we'll ever really know is if we get a tell all from someone.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I honestly think she just faltered, whether it's because she was distracted or thought her track record would speak for itself if she did end up in the bottom. Her makeover wasn't terrible-- their mugs looked loving brilliant and those headpieces were to die for-- it just wasn't up to snuff for what she's been delivering all season. The outfits weren't even terrible, just not elevated like her stuff usually is.

It's the whole 'down to the final few queens so we need to split hairs' thing. Nobody did terribly other than maybe Latrice. Trinity and Monique's runways were either better than Manila's or had a way cooler execution of their concept. Manila p much defaulted to bottom two.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It's not even that Manilla was bad. She was good. It's just, y'know, other people were better, this week. Not Latrice, she did bad, but everyone else just did better and had cooler concepts.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

my whole take on this is that Manila openly said several episodes ago that if she beat Monique in the LSFYL, she was going to save her friend Latrice and send Monet home, even though Latrice 'deserved' to go home based on the scorecard or whatever

so anyone complaining about Naomi sending Manila home not being 'fair' needs to remember that Manila openly wasn't playing by any scorecard rules either

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I don't care about fairness that much (hence why I'm not like... upset at Naomi), I'm more disappointed because I wanted to see more of Manila.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's the beauty of it. Manila was super open about potentially eliminating Valentina over Gia, because she felt Val was stronger competition. Of course her first time in the bottom has a high risk of being sent home like Morgan was for saying the same thing lmao

e: ^^ same but with only two episodes left at least we got her owning most of the season

plus my real dog in this race has been trinity, tho tbf mostly bc i already knew manila got eliminated near the end. trinity is one of my all time faves but if I hadn't gotten spoiled I would have been pulling for Manila the most

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I'm really disappointed by this outcome as well (although not mad at Naomi), because seeing Manila on my screen every week was an absolute joy. I also don't get much out of the drama, I watch drag race to see what cool stuff the queens can pull off, and I want All Stars to be a talent competition even though I know it isn't. I feel like they are trying to capture the lightning of AS2 in a bottle by continuing with the Survivor rules and it's mostly resulting in excellent queens leaving well before the end, which imo makes for worse tv.

I want the drama to come from Untucked, not tactical eliminations or queens buckling under the pressure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As much of a weird season as AS1 was, at least it had Untucked tbh

e: I like the new All Stars rules b/c ideally a season of All Stars would all be queens who are fierce enough to all excel, so having the queens voting eachother off more strategically would feel less like a good queen going and a filler queen staying. I think AS2 (and AS1 would have been perfect) had the best cast for the rules to make sense in. AS3 had a weird mix of fan faves and early outs. Other than arguably Jasmine and Farrah I think AS4 has had a strong enough cast for this kind of elimination to work for me, especially considering how strong and close the report cards have been for the 4 frontrunners. When it comes to wins nobody is super far ahead-- the only thing Manila really had over on Trinity, Monet and Monique was never being in the bottom.

So complaints I've seen around of people saying Naomi ruined the season by taking out the clearest best queen are off to me. I agree Manila was the best, but it's not like she was leaps and bounds ahead ala Alaska or Dela

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 4, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am still catching up on all the Drag Race stuff via Netflix and was wondering how the hell I watch old All Stars? I am in Canada.

Also the Hater's Roast is coming to town, I found out too late, got tickets but no VIP but I want to meet Jinkx so bad. :(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vintersorg posted:

I am still catching up on all the Drag Race stuff via Netflix and was wondering how the hell I watch old All Stars? I am in Canada.

Also the Hater's Roast is coming to town, I found out too late, got tickets but no VIP but I want to meet Jinkx so bad. :(

An OUTtv sub is like 5bux a month and has seasons 1-10 of Drag Race, all of All Stars and all of Untucked. They upload new episodes the night of airing.

e: you in van? i found out too late about the roast but still going to try and go lol

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

esperterra posted:

As much of a weird season as AS1 was, at least it had Untucked tbh

e: I like the new All Stars rules b/c ideally a season of All Stars would all be queens who are fierce enough to all excel, so having the queens voting eachother off more strategically would feel less like a good queen going and a filler queen staying. I think AS2 (and AS1 would have been perfect) had the best cast for the rules to make sense in. AS3 had a weird mix of fan faves and early outs. Other than arguably Jasmine and Farrah I think AS4 has had a strong enough cast for this kind of elimination to work for me, especially considering how strong and close the report cards have been for the 4 frontrunners. When it comes to wins nobody is super far ahead-- the only thing Manila really had over on Trinity, Monet and Monique was never being in the bottom.

So complaints I've seen around of people saying Naomi ruined the season by taking out the clearest best queen are off to me. I agree Manila was the best, but it's not like she was leaps and bounds ahead ala Alaska or Dela

I... enjoy that this elimination model is/was a thing but frankly I'm feeling like it's kind of played out. It kind of warps every single episode into the same "emotional rollercoaster" of:
  • omg eliminating someone is so hard :'(
  • which lipstick did you choose loser? (petty drama)
  • actual episode
  • omg I don't want to go home
  • omg eliminating someone is so hard :'(
Which is... Fine?? It's fine for awhile. It really feels like seasons are blending together at this point because it's the same story every. Time. And the drama generated isn't the good drama we want between queens, which is actual clashes of character, but rather Survivor esque elimination "drama." It's tired.

I also don't like how the lip syncs are ostensibly worse because of it.
Think of the best All Stars Lip sync you can.

Done?
That's right, it's (not actually a spoiler)Alyssa vs Tatianna. The lip sync for your life.
Lip syncs are soooo much better when it's two queens performing for their right to stay. I've heard people with theories that queens are actually throwing their lip syncs because they didn't want to be the one to send X home, a pretty strong argument could be made for Monet doing so just this last week. It feels like a reward and a punishment to win.

I think it's time for a shakeup, but given how popular All Stars remains, I don't expect it will happen for at least another 2 or 3 seasons, if we're lucky.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 4, 2019

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I stopped watching Project Runway the moment they picked Gretchen over Mondo.

I felt very strongly about quitting All Stars, and probably would have if it'd've been Ru kicking off Manila and not Naomi. I can't fault Naomi for it, it's strategic etc., but if Ru had done, it, it would have been Bull. poo poo.

All Stars rules are poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ben vs Aja to Anaconda was iconique too imo

Shut Up and Drive is just one of if not the best lip sync in general tho, unfair to hold any season to its standard imo lol. But I do agree that LSFYLegacy does not have the same drive behind it that LSFYL does, especially since these queens typically already make enough money that 10k is not enough for most of them to want to risk pissing off fans on social media. I bet it's often easier to let the other girl pick who goes home.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Given some time I’m less upset about Manila because, really, she shouldn’t have been there. She had her season, she was on all stars, that should be all. This is how I’m trying to rationalize it at least.

Also I don’t care who wins anymore, as long as it’s not washed up Latrice.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I liked this tweet by Pangina because while I assume it's referring to the latest Thailand episode (which I have not watched yet), it feels relevant to the All Stars happenings too :v

https://twitter.com/PanginaHeals/status/1091958531752747009

”rules are rules. If u mess up you can go home no matter how small the mistake because this is a competition, not a charity for boys who dress up as women ka. This is a competition for Queens. ”

tudabee fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Golbez posted:

All Stars rules are poo poo.
Switch it up so that each winning queen represents one of the two people up for elimination, but they don't even know who they are - each queen's just given an envelope that they then open up after winning/losing the lipsync. That way producers can still have their drama (ie, manilla defending latrice) but the queens don't need to do the bullshit Hey Let's Go Sit In A Corner And Say Look I Love You Sis after every loving episode.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Poulpe posted:

And the drama generated isn't the good drama we want between queens, which is actual clashes of character, but rather Survivor esque elimination "drama." It's tired.

Naomi's move may very well be what needed to happen to break All Stars open into the Survivor-esque show that I think it is intended to be. Now that there is precedent set for true power moves, those who come next will finally play the game differently. We've talked about how Ru seems so tired of it all and while Drag Race main stage has become RuPaul's Choice Race, the Queens making moves in All Stars are some of the few times we've seen what feels like actual reactions.

gently caress it, make All Stars 5 a split of two where the losing team has to put up 2 members to sync.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Whalley posted:

Switch it up so that each winning queen represents one of the two people up for elimination, but they don't even know who they are - each queen's just given an envelope that they then open up after winning/losing the lipsync. That way producers can still have their drama (ie, manilla defending latrice) but the queens don't need to do the bullshit Hey Let's Go Sit In A Corner And Say Look I Love You Sis after every loving episode.

I'd like to see them try on a points system where it's not a standard one-per-episode elimination model.

I'm making this up as I type, but let's say, 1 for bottom, 3 for safe, 5 for top, 7 for lipsync win? Something like that. Or there could even be separate scoring for challenge performance and runway!

Nobody goes home unless they fall far below the average. Or "On episode 4, anyone below 12 points is going home." Or, hey, maybe even the bottom two of the week to LSFYL is straight up the bottom two pointswise!
Then mini challenges can dole out small points, they can add plot twist points bullshit and bonuses, nobody will return because it's a stupid thing that never goes anywhere, it's win win! And if they must add artificial drama you could even have the queens steal points from one another to generate animosity!

Statistics and rankings and who-should-have-landed-where is basically all the community loves talking about anyway, this would give them something to really sink their teeth into.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 4, 2019

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
You know what would rule?

A full blown season of Survivor but all of the contestants are RPDR alum

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aerox posted:

You know what would rule?

A full blown season of Survivor but all of the contestants are RPDR alum

Big Brother RPDR edition when tbh. There's a New Zealand show from this year called House of Drag I've been meaning to check out, it popped up on OUTtv a while ago. It looks to be basically Big Brother but with queens and drag related competitions-- it also has a drag king on it!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

esperterra posted:

An OUTtv sub is like 5bux a month and has seasons 1-10 of Drag Race, all of All Stars and all of Untucked. They upload new episodes the night of airing.

e: you in van? i found out too late about the roast but still going to try and go lol

Winnipeg, hehe.

I emailed the promoters and I was like, I'll pay the difference to get on the VIP promo and he said no. :(

So my only hope is hanging around after and hoping they don't leave for the hotel right after.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Has anyone brought up that Ru stated that the Stonewall riot was started because people were set off by their grief at Judy Garland’s funeral being on the same day?

That’s some next-level stanning tbh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I dunno, the top 4 is meaningless. Latrice isn't going to stick around cause she already got eliminated once. Naomi is boring as hell. It's a miracle that Monet has lasted this long considering how painfully amateur her looks are compared to everyone else and considering her lipsync reputation she has really stunk at it all season. Monique is alright but she hasn't been anywhere close to Trinity or Manila in terms of polish and performance (shouldn't have come back right away!!)

My favourite genre of posts has been "now that Manila is out we're guaranteed to have a PoC in the top 2!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the escape goat posted:

Has anyone brought up that Ru stated that the Stonewall riot was started because people were set off by their grief at Judy Garland’s funeral being on the same day?

afaik the date of Garland's funeral was just a coincidence people have connected to the riot for a long time, and it wasn't at all what started or helped started it

e: ^^ I love it when people forget Manila is mixed race. or that one of the hall of famers is mixed race

though tbf Manila looks way more asian than Trixie looks aboriginal so the Manila thing is weirder than the Trixie thing

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the escape goat posted:

monet being like "i dont understand the connection" was great. she is really one of the smartest queens out there, she should play up being a massive brain more

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Manila being correct about Monique:

For real though, she summed up how I've felt about Monique that, up until now, I haven't been able to form into a coherent thought. Her only weakness at the moment is a lack of polish (and maybe liberal use of white makeup), but she really is the whole package. Someone give this queen the crown she deserves after her playing card dress was robbed a top spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monique just really loves highlighter and I'm at peace with that