Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

to be fair I think there is probably still lots of space to do cool stuff with battle royales, but they'd have to be made by someone not afraid to move more than a step away from PUBG/Fortnite

I'm kind of curious to try out Spellbreak even though it's basically just "what if every other battle royale, except you're wizards"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

chumbler posted:

Similarly I'd like to see more takes on monster hunter style games. Not that the real deal is bad by any means, but I appreciate the things that the other notable entries in the genre have done to differentiate themselves.

The real question is what is the next unscrupulous monetization scheme companies will try, assuming they are compelled to finally drop loot boxes.

:same: like a game where up to four smaller wrestlers have to take down one humongous wrestler

and I think if loot boxes get canned someone big will pull the trigger on just selling straight in game upgrades for cash, weather the outcry, and it'll just become normal with people saying 'you don't need it if you're good!' over and over in defense

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Battle Royals: Tycoon you're the rich sponsor air dropping equipment to your fighter but you never directly influence the actual combat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Battle Royals: Tycoon you're the rich sponsor air dropping equipment to your fighter but you never directly influence the actual combat.

I dont understand why their isnt a twitch mode where spending money drops things into other peoples game environment that youre watching.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

The real question is what is the next unscrupulous monetization scheme companies will try, assuming they are compelled to finally drop loot boxes.

The leading contender, IMO, is the "battle pass." You split your game into "seasons" and release a bunch of new items and cosmetics with each season that you can unlock by earning XP. The catch is that you have to buy access to each season as it comes, which is the "battle pass" you buy. In Fortnite, the basic battle pass costs $9.50 per season. So basically you buy the ability to unlock things but much like loot boxes, there's no guarantee you'll actually get the things you want--they might be at high tiers and locked behind grind, or it might be somewhat randomized and you're unlucky and don't get the items you want before the season ends.

Fortnite also lets you buy a special version of their battle pass for $28 that instantly unlocks 25 tiers for you so you unlock a bunch of stuff right off the bat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope capitalism dies in my lifetime

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

:hai:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Unfortunately it will see to it that we all go down with it.

Whatever the next big trend is, I'm fairly certain it still won't be single player games, because People Don't Want Single Player Games (despite all evidence to the contrary). That said, when the esports bubble bursts, maybe that will change.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Barudak posted:

I dont understand why their isnt a twitch mode where spending money drops things into other peoples game environment that youre watching.

Streamers have done this! Criken used to run streams of Left4Dead2 where viewers could buy monsters or hordes with donations and such. There's been some other experiments too.

Taintrunner posted:

I'm in the small and uncool camp of people who think Anthem has looked terrible from the get-go and hopes it bombs hard so Bioware is finally taken out back behind the barn and put out of their misery, as sad as it will be to see people lose their jobs, they haven't make a good game since ME2 (which is up for debate in some regards, admittedly, but I really liked it) and it's just loving embarrassing at this point

This is extremely lovely gamer bullshit talk and gently caress you for it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taintrunner posted:

I'm in the small and uncool camp of people who think Anthem has looked terrible from the get-go and hopes it bombs hard so Bioware is finally taken out back behind the barn and put out of their misery, as sad as it will be to see people lose their jobs, they haven't make a good game since ME2 (which is up for debate in some regards, admittedly, but I really liked it) and it's just loving embarrassing at this point

Anthem will most likely be mediocre. It won't bomb, but it won't be the big Destiny/Warframe Killer EA so obviously wants it to be.

Honestly though, after Andromeda I think its safe to say that the studio closing would be good. Anyone with talent and skill there clearly isn't in charge and is just being stifled under EA.

Jay Rust posted:

I mean it may but it will only be because all of us go with it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mutata posted:

:dukedoge:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Barudak posted:

I know nothing about the game but I've seen twitch voting on which horrible monster or hp draining effect happens in Vermintide 2 streams. It's amazing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

too bad no one uses mixer, cause they have a really good API for making interactive streams. its also tied to a fuckin virtual currency though so maybe its for the best

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I watched a speedrun race vid called crowd control where twitch viewers could take resources away from a runner or give them some, they could even just straight up kill them if someone was feeling mean, although it worked sometimes because of deathwarping strats.

Anyway point is, how do you hack A Link To The Past to work like that? How do these interactive streams work?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

Titanfall 2's singleplayer gets talked about all the time because Titanfall 2's multiplayer is a huge step back from the first and not balanced.

God I miss Titanfall 1s multiplayer.

Wrong.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't play Titanfall 1, but as I understand rodeos were at least not basically always a mistake like they were in 2. And there were other class and gun balance problems besides, though not enough to really harm it too much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Streamers have done this! Criken used to run streams of Left4Dead2 where viewers could buy monsters or hordes with donations and such. There's been some other experiments too.

They're right anthem is like a worse destiny somehow. Who gives a poo poo.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

The 7th Guest posted:

worst acquisition was Raven Software by Activision because they just became a COD studio instead of being able to make their own games

still waiting for Star Trek Elite Force 3.......

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I didn't play Titanfall 1, but as I understand rodeos were at least not basically always a mistake like they were in 2.

I largely played Pilot V Pilot bc the mechs are boring.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

They're right anthem is like a worse destiny somehow. Who gives a poo poo.

Jerking yourself off online about your dream that hundreds of people lose their jobs over a game you aren't personally interested in is, like, Twitter-level stupid.

Also, WISHING that a game fails for no reason is loving dumb. Why? What's the point? "I hope Anthem fails and everyone who worked on it loses their jobs." "Why?" "Because I don't want to play it."

It's like something 12 year olds would think a 10 year old was an idiot for saying.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 4, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ns1PaT8yA&t=58s

sinful

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There's nothing wrong with wishing that a game crashes and burn, specially from companies like Bioware

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s a bad instinct, friend

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mutata posted:

Jerking yourself off online about your dream that hundreds of people lose their jobs over a game you aren't personally interested in is, like, Twitter-level stupid.

Also, WISHING that a game fails for no reason is loving dumb. Why? What's the point? "I hope Anthem fails and everyone who worked on it loses their jobs." "Why?" "Because I don't want to play it."

It's like something 12 year olds would think a 10 year old was an idiot for saying.

True

on the other hand, Anthem crashing and burning would be pretty funny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

I largely played Pilot V Pilot bc the mechs are boring.

Maybe in Pilot v Pilot Titanfall 2 is better but in the full modes as mentioned rodeoing is a waste, forced loadouts result in just not using large swaths of the games stuff, poor weapon balancing compounding that issue, and the new maps arent anywhere as tightly designed as the first games maps.

pilot v pilot is still probably better in Titanfall 1 due to the above, actually.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watching major corporations fail is insanely funny, its too bad for the workers that get chewed up by the gears of capitalism but what are you gonna do, pretend what they made is actually good? nah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

True

If it was a legitimately bad game I might agree, but instead Anthem seems like something that could be an excellent game except it's being released like six months too early and everyone knows it. It's one of those things where the devs clearly give a poo poo and have been surprisingly transparent, but also clearly don't have the budget to delay the game as long as it probably needs to be.

Anthem crashing and burning would be kind of a bummer, honestly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

watching major corporations fail is insanely funny, its too bad for the workers that get chewed up by the gears of capitalism but what are you gonna do, pretend what they made is actually good? nah

Not what I'm saying at all. It's the active cheering ahead of time that an unreleased game fails and that everyone who worked on it lose their jobs that's stupid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

Maybe in Pilot v Pilot Titanfall 2 is better but in the full modes as mentioned rodeoing is a waste, forced loadouts result in just not using large swaths of the games stuff, poor weapon balancing compounding that issue, and the new maps arent anywhere as tightly designed as the first games maps.

pilot v pilot is still probably better in Titanfall 1 due to the above, actually.

Forced loadouts?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do hope that Death Stranding is bad and Kojima has to apologize to me personally
e: and Mads

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 4, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I forget that Death Stranding is supposed to be an actual game. Like at this point I have zero investment in it actually coming out. I'm just along for the ride. Keep the weird trailers rolling.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that the gaming community keeps talking about the poor programmers possibly losing their jobs at EA, but when it came out that Gamestop is probably gonna die there was a celebration if anything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Andrast posted:

True

Accelerationism is the new hotness since 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Accelerationism is the new hotness since 2016

If terrible things have to happen, might as well get some laughs out if it.

It's not like I can effect Anthem's success at all

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mutata posted:

Not what I'm saying at all. It's the active cheering ahead of time that an unreleased game fails and that everyone who worked on it lose their jobs that's stupid.

The game looks really loving uninspired, but this level of concern trolling is somehow even more uninspired

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The gaming community

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't have a clue how Anthem will sell, I thought there was no way Fallout 76 would falter but I was really wrong there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

from the amount we're still talking about that piece of legendary poo poo, i assumed f76 sold and is selling like gangbusters

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Enkmar posted:

The game looks really loving uninspired, but this level of concern trolling is somehow even more uninspired

Haha ok whatever dude. I know people personally who work at Bioware, but sure, call me the troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don't have a clue how Anthem will sell, I thought there was no way Fallout 76 would falter but I was really wrong there.

Anthem does seem way more competent than FO76.

Anthem will probably just be mediocre and get ok sales (so a total failure in EA's eyes since everything needs to do fortnite numbers)