Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

You can download the media upgrade tool and just go to 1809. The tool will tell you if something is hosed that the update won't work.

Oh, rad. I'll do that for the next update then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

I don't even know a single normal person that uses anything except maybe a smiley face.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies 🤷‍♂️

Truga posted:

is there any way to make windows skip updates? my 1803 update is still failing with the same error lol

No, only delay them. And 1803 is past when you can delay.

Have you run the update troubleshooter? That thing actually managed to fix a problem for me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

To be fair, redeyes did say 'normal person'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Even if you don't use emoji it's kinda bad to see broken boxes everywhere because you're not keeping up with the standard 👀

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Emojis are great, it's just that the regular ones are boring and the SA ones are rad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

astral posted:

To be fair, redeyes did say 'normal person'.

Normal people use emojis all the time as well

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Anything but ASCII is haram.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Anything but ASCII is haram.

I kind of agree. I really did mean normal people. SA definitely doesn't count at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There needs to be a mode to convert emoji to text so you'd end up with :eggplant: or whatever instead of the emoji.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Every once in a while, I'll go to Settings -> Windows Update just to verify things look okay there. The problem is, I will randomly see a notice waiting for me indicating Windows failed to install updates with error code #0x80240007. If I click on "Retry", it works fine. What's the deal? The only recent change I've done is uninstall Office 365 and install Office 2019. Would that cause this error?

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
On a scale of 1-Russian/Chinese Hackers, how sketchy are the super cheap Windows and Office keys sold on ebay? I'm about to build a new PC and from what I've ready my free copy of Windows 10 that I upgraded from Windows 7 won't transfer once I replace the mobo. I don't know if saving $100 bucks is worth the risk of turning my PC over to Pasha for his buttcoin mining antics.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Das_Ubermike posted:

On a scale of 1-Russian/Chinese Hackers, how sketchy are the super cheap Windows and Office keys sold on ebay? I'm about to build a new PC and from what I've ready my free copy of Windows 10 that I upgraded from Windows 7 won't transfer once I replace the mobo. I don't know if saving $100 bucks is worth the risk of turning my PC over to Pasha for his buttcoin mining antics.

They're generally just OEM keys, as long as you aren't downloading anything with your purchase you shouldn't need to worry about something like being hacked just for using one. I think they're not entirely legal, but there's some loophole with being European market OEM keys that lets resellers get away with it more or less.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Das_Ubermike posted:

If you already have a Windows 10 license from an upgrade, you will be able to use it on the new PC. You may have to call Microsoft support and just tell them something burned out so you needed to replace components in your PC. No need to buy a new license.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to tweak the adaptive brightness levels to be a little bit higher? I like the idea of the screen changing automatically and being a bit more efficient, but even with the slider maxed out the brightness indoors is just a bit too low for me. This is Windows 10 Home version 1809 on a Matebook X Pro.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Calling the EU's refusal to fall for Microsoft's OEM scam a loophole or 'not entirely legal' is pretty disingenuous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Geemer posted:

Calling the EU's refusal to fall for Microsoft's OEM scam a loophole or 'not entirely legal' is pretty disingenuous.

It doesn't matter one bit if something's legal in the EU for people who aren't in the EU dude.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Geemer posted:

I'm not against using them myself, I just wanted to be clear it's not like these are fully MS endorsed key sales. Not my intention to be disingenuous.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

It doesn't matter one bit if something's legal in the EU for people who aren't in the EU dude.

Is it legal to sell these keys in Europe? Yes.
Does the USA have an import ban on software keys from Europe? No. (Tell me if I'm wrong here.)

Seems to me like it matters to people who don't want to get fleeced. :shrug:
MS might not like it, but they'd rather go after companies that don't have all of their licenses right than an individual that's using out-of-region keys.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Geemer posted:

Does the USA have an import ban on software keys from Europe? No. (Tell me if I'm wrong here.)

Seems to me like it matters to people who don't want to get fleeced. :shrug:
MS might not like it, but they'd rather go after companies that don't have all of their licenses right than an individual that's using out-of-region keys.

You don't need to have an import ban for them to not really be valid licenses. That's the whole reason people remind others that the keys "are not entirely legal" in most of the world.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Das_Ubermike posted:

It's just a string. If Windows could be hacked that easily surely we wouldn't dare to use it. I bought a Windows 7 Pro key couple years back and by googling I found out that the company selling it was a computer recycling firm from UK. I assume they receive shipments of old office computers and snap a pic of the license sticker before throwing them in the trash.

The option of contacting Microsoft support is valid, but why bother going through that effort when you can buy one for 5 monetary units, and that way your old motherboard can retain the license when you sell the old components or give them to relatives.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mischievous Mink posted:

They're generally just OEM keys, as long as you aren't downloading anything with your purchase you shouldn't need to worry about something like being hacked just for using one. I think they're not entirely legal, but there's some loophole with being European market OEM keys that lets resellers get away with it more or less.

Geemer posted:

They all claim to be selling parts of volume licenses (as to comply with the European court decision), but notice how these sellers pretty much always say they're selling "keys", not "licenses"? They're not legal licenses, a magazine recently investigated keys sold through Ebay and found none of them to be valid licenses (but they did activate in most cases).

fishmech posted:

You don't need to have an import ban for them to not really be valid licenses. That's the whole reason people remind others that the keys "are not entirely legal" in most of the world.

They don't even tend to be legal in the EU.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 2, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Will all the bs MS has pulled with win 10, who the hell cares. The data collection is the big money now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

redeyes posted:

Will all the bs MS has pulled with win 10, who the hell cares. The data collection is the big money now.

Has anyone actually proven what data the collect exactly? Not as in, there is more data going back home, Wireshark is going crazy! but actual example of what is sent back to Microsoft.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone actually proven what data the collect exactly? Not as in, there is more data going back home, Wireshark is going crazy! but actual example of what is sent back to Microsoft.

You can check for yourself with Microsoft's Diagnostic Data Viewer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/diagnostic-data-viewer/9n8wtrrsq8f7?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yea, I've seen that but I trying to see if anyone written a detail blog over what is sent. My spider senses tell me the people screaming that Microsoft is spying on us! :tinfoil: are just paranoid.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, I've seen that but I trying to see if anyone written a detail blog over what is sent. My spider senses tell me the people screaming that Microsoft is spying on us! :tinfoil: are just paranoid.

My OS does not need to phone home when I don't want it to. That I can't turn it off is the real issue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

My OS does not need to phone home when I don't want it to. That I can't turn it off is the real issue.

You can - with Enterprise.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Windows 3.0 File Manager is now available on the Store from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P7VBBBC49RB

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lambert posted:

The Windows 3.0 File Manager is now available on the Store from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P7VBBBC49RB

It's even listed as available for mobile devices if you're one of the poor bastards still using a Windows Phone. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Install Windows 98, tinfoil man.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

There's this, but I personally haven't reviewed it. I'd rather just run an Enterprise version of Windows 10 and force Group Policy's Telemetry setting to "0".

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there any way to turn my desktop into a quasi console? So I can like just pick up a controller and turn the PC “on” and have the video output to my tv (instead of my monitor) and have access to all of my games in a controller friendly ui

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

beergod posted:

Is there any way to turn my desktop into a quasi console? So I can like just pick up a controller and turn the PC “on” and have the video output to my tv (instead of my monitor) and have access to all of my games in a controller friendly ui

I haven't used it, but isn't that basically what Steam's Big Picture mode is supposed to be for?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

You can - with Enterprise.

I know, that's why I run it. Does not change the fact that the whole telemetry stuff is annoying and dumb.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there a good kiosk mode for windows, that locks out the keyboard (aside from whatever key combo closes it)? Basically so if my 3-year-old nephew decides he wants to "do some work" I can give him something with an autoyping webpage, without him being able to hit Win+P or something within 2 seconds of touching the keyboard. I don't really want to make a separate account if I can help it...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I know, that's why I run it. Does not change the fact that the whole telemetry stuff is annoying and dumb.

It's always existed. There's just more and folks have noticed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies 🤷‍♂️

No, only delay them. And 1803 is past when you can delay.

Have you run the update troubleshooter? That thing actually managed to fix a problem for me.

Yeah, several times. It just won't update lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

beergod posted:

Auto login... Steam running automatically on login, set to start up in Big Picture mode

In fact, just searching for that even gives you various pages with suggestions. This one is clear and to the point...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

beergod posted:

As noted Steam Big Picture is almost certainly the easiest option if you're mostly looking to support Steam games. There are tools to add emulators and such to Steam's menus as well.

If your focus is mostly non-Steam content there are also a bunch of other frontends like Hyperspin designed for homebrew arcade machines that work nicely with most game controllers. Google DIY arcade frontend and have fun.

Or if your PC isn't near your TV right now you could use something like Steam Link or nVidia Gamestream to stream from your normal desk to a little appliance. The actual Steam Link hardware isn't sold anymore but there's an app for Raspberry Pi and most Android devices. Gamestream is supported by Shield devices officially as well as most anything else through Moonlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

There's this, but I personally haven't reviewed it. I'd rather just run an Enterprise version of Windows 10 and force Group Policy's Telemetry setting to "0".

Note that that analysis is of a version before Microsoft started publishing what they collect (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields-1809) and GDPR.