Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

probably Jeffrey or Agholor, although even Torrey Smith came out in support of Wentz so idk, could have just been some assistant position coach trying to get some shine

Yeah I just thought Agholor because he was one of the main guys that did NOT get the ball enough this season, and I also didn't see him jumping to Wentz's support on twitter (although he might've). As a slot receiver he kind of competes with Ertz for the ball more too.

Anyways, everything Wentz's supporters on the team said could be true while the criticisms in the article could also be true. People often see the same thing in very different ways, and the source for the article mainly just seemed mad that he didn't get passed to as much as he wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cowboys haven't said anything about an offensive coordinator, but Kellen Moore's name keeps coming up.

Guys, I will literally die and haunt this mortal realm for the years to come if that useless pile of piss falls upward.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

indigi posted:

probably Jeffrey or Agholor, although even Torrey Smith came out in support of Wentz so idk, could have just been some assistant position coach trying to get some shine

My guess would be Tate but my first thought is that the whole story is bullshit. Ahgolor got plenty of targets and for a while was averaging like 9 yards a catch with them so W/e,

indigi posted:

I love the man but Ryan Howard absolutely doesn't belong on this list. he was probably the fourth or fifth best player on those teams. also Ben Simmons is afraid to shoot and that's corny and he needs to be better

Howard was pretty fierce in the mid 2000's but you're right to an extent. Once he started to slip it was drastic. I'd add Bobby Abreu to the list who was by far the best player on some really lovely Phillies teams. And for what it's worth they poo poo on Jimmy Rollins a lot too.

Simmons is in his second year of playing full time and has a weird skill set that a lot of teams would kill to have. Agree that at least the threat of a jump shot would make him a superstar but I'm hearing talk about giving up on him entirely. Sixers have some weird chemistry issues but a creative coach could create some insane matchup problems with an innovative approach.

indigi posted:

yeah they didn't "like" Iverson but they loved the way he played. even his biggest haters were absolutely smitten with his 2001 playoff performance.

Rightfully so I'd say. I haven't seen one guy put an entire team on his back like that until Lebron with the Cavs. I didn't live in Philly by the time Allen showed up and wasn't streaming WIP and poo poo back then so maybe you're right but the city seems to love the guy.

I'll stand by the most of the names on my list though and the idea that it's sort of a trend in Philadelphia for fans to single out their stars for ridicule.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 23, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
oh the city definitely loved him but they'd also say dumb poo poo like "he should work to make his teammates better" or call him selfish and poo poo. just stupid nonsense. a lot of (white) fans just couldn't pay him a compliment without tearing him down a bit as well.

BiggerBoat posted:

Agree that at least the threat of a jump shot would make him a superstar but I'm hearing talk about giving up on him entirely.

oh yeah that's insane, he just needs someone who can coach him

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Shinjobi posted:

Cowboys haven't said anything about an offensive coordinator, but Kellen Moore's name keeps coming up.

Guys, I will literally die and haunt this mortal realm for the years to come if that useless pile of piss falls upward.

my idiot buddy from college tried to defend the idea of Kellen dumbass Moore being OC.

jesus.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The whole Wentz thing seems pretty dead in the water to me. Honestly, the "source" is just as likely a disgruntled beat reporter.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

yeah they didn't "like" him but they loved the way he played. even his biggest haters were absolutely smitten with his 2001 playoff performance. they weren't crazy about the dude or his personality but they at least respected his game

Good point. There was a definite shift after 2001.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason, Philly fans like to gently caress around with their best players and biggest stars. Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Charles Barkley, Randall Cunningham, Eric Lindros, McNabb, Ryan Howard...

This list wouldn't be complete without mentioning DeSean Jackson who would currently be the Eagles all time leader in receiving yards and tied with Harold Carmichael in receptions if he hadn't been cut.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

NotWearingPants posted:

This list wouldn't be complete without mentioning DeSean Jackson who would currently be the Eagles all time leader in receiving yards and tied with Harold Carmichael in receptions if he hadn't been cut.

That wasnt the fans...though they bought into the gang tie poo poo i suppose after he'd been driven out by Cheep Kelly

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

That wasnt the fans...though they bought into the gang tie poo poo i suppose after he'd been driven out by Cheep Kelly

I think there's often a big disconnect between sports radio fans and ticket buying fans. A negative narrative can be built around a player or coach between games but the fans at the stadium or arena often seem blissfully unaware of it.

This has changed over time as fewer people listen to sports radio and print media has shifted more towards analysis and away from soap opera stories.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if Shady McCoy hadn't been exiled to Buffalo and basically cast out of the national conversation he'd be a first ballot HOF guy

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think Eric Lindros went through more poo poo in this city than anybody outside of maybe Iverson. Some fans did turn on him but between 1998-2000 he basically had the front office working against him. That poo poo got incredibly ugly, and I'm surprised Eric ever came back.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lindros is on another level, but Hamels got a lot of poo poo for his personality until he won world series MVP, and even then people weren't sure.

I don't even know if Terrel Owens fits into this category.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1088900090151030785

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

FogHelmut posted:

I don't even know if Terrel Owens fits into this category.

He was such a good fit for Philly that he ostracized himself.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The ride never ends.

Kellen Moore, the loving gimp who has never accomplished anything in the NFL, who couldn't even start as a QB, is now the Cowboys offensive coordinator.

Kill me. I want to get off. Just.....stop.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Those who can't do teach. So maybe he's the ultimate coach, cause man did he ever suck.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

The ride never ends.

Kellen Moore, the loving gimp who has never accomplished anything in the NFL, who couldn't even start as a QB, is now the Cowboys offensive coordinator.

Doug Pederson was a bad QB, and yet his coaching career turned out OK

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I can't believe the qb who made it to the NFL with his smarts and definitely not arm talent might be a good oc

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Shinjobi posted:

The ride never ends.

gently caress

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Bananana posted:

gently caress the cowboys

Hell yeah brother

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
As a big college football fan who lived in Idaho and has many friends who went to BSU, I want Kellen Moore to succeed. As an Eagles fan who gently caress THE COWBOYS, I want Dallas to fail. Anything other than mediocrity would bring me satisfaction, so I love this move.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1091790880409878528?s=21

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I simultaneously love and hate this.

I guess they could justify it in the sense that 20 mil plus Carson's contract hit next year is about what you'd pay for a franchise qb anyway? Even if the lion's share is going to the backup? Or maybe Foles isn't the backup anymore? It's going to be weird seeing this shake out.

Edit: for some reason I thought Wentz's cap hit in 2019 was about 4 million. It's over 8.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I suspect the Eagles are working on a trade

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

He can also pay $2 Million and walk. I'm not sure how much he's due in that case

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

quote:

Scenario 2: Eagles pick up Foles’ option for 2019, but Foles pays back the $2M and becomes a free agent

If the Eagles pick up Foles’ option, Foles then has until 25 days before the league year begins to void it. Foles’ deadline would be Feb. 16. He can void the option by paying the team $2 million. That would then make him a free agent.

Banner: So this, to me, is the most likely scenario. It gives the Eagles a chance to feel out the market if there’s a significant trade. It’s likely to me that Foles would want to control his own life and choices, which he can do by paying back the $2 million, in which case they still have the opportunity to get a comp pick and he can choose whatever team it is that he wants to go to under whatever terms he wants — completely free to do so.

So they have will have 25 days to try and trade him once they pick up his option.

The danger here would be that the Eagles can't find a trade and then Foles does not void the option. The Eagles would then have to either find a trade for him on that 1 year, $20million deal or be forced to cut him. If they end up cutting him they wouldn't get draft compensation which according to most beat writers would probably be a 3rd round pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That's an expensive backup.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's an expensive playoff starter.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
NFC East remains Division of Champions and Brady-slayers.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Eagles would have won.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Eagles would have won.

:hmmyes:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Foles is still the last person to throw a touchdown in a Super Bowl

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Eagles would have won.

Hard agree.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Goff looked completely lost out there.

I think they probably just didn't call defensive holding on the secondaries, I saw a TON of uncalled holding on the Rams and at least one on Gilmore. It was harder to see on the Rams incompletions because they were so far off CBS didn't show close ups lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cowboys would have won that game, too.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Eagles would have won.

https://twitter.com/EagleSessions/status/1092265794149511168

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I guess Wentz basically came out and said that the talk a couple of weeks ago of him being kind of an rear end in a top hat was true. It was short on details but essentially was Carson admitting "I need to be a better teammate"

Also, hot rumor is the Eagles franchising Foles then trading him for a 3rd to Jax. Good deal for Jacksonville if they can work it out

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

So I guess Wentz basically came out and said that the talk a couple of weeks ago of him being kind of an rear end in a top hat was true. It was short on details but essentially was Carson admitting "I need to be a better teammate"

I guess that's one way to read it. It's not at all the way I read it, but I'm not a sports radio host that needs to fill 4 hours.

e: judge for yourself:

quote:

“It’s never obviously fun to read your name being thrown around like that, but at the end of the day, try not to stress about it too much and let the media or the perception of others dictate who I am,” Wentz said last week. “I know who I am, first of all. I know how I carry myself, I know I’m not perfect, I know I have flaws. So I’m not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I’m not going to do that. But at the end of the day, I will say our locker room is really close. If there were guys that had issues, in hindsight, I wish we could have just talked about them.”

“I’ll be straight up,” Wentz said, playing with his beard and his wedding band as he responded to questions. “It hasn’t been the easiest last year for me on the physical level, just battling the injuries, but then just personally going through it, sitting on the sideline and then playing and then sitting on the sideline again. So I realize I maybe wasn’t the greatest teammate at times because I was emotionally kind of all over the place. To the outside world, I probably didn’t show it much. But internally, I mean, you’re definitely fighting some sort of emotions as you guys would probably expect.

“Obviously, it was frustrating watching. Again, that’s the number one thing I remember the last two years was watching from the sidelines isn’t fun. I want to do everything I can to be healthy, to stay healthy and not have to do that again. I thought the offense, I thought it was great. I was ecstatic to see the guys rally. I think it was awesome for Nick to show there wasn’t a fluke. Nick’s a heck of a player. But at the same time, there’s the real emotions that, again the same thing, I want to be out there. Here we are again, and when I went down we were losing, and here we’re winning. There’s all those real emotions that you’ve got to battle. But at the end of the day, I thought it was just really cool to see the team from where we were and how we rallied together to get to where we finished. I thought it was cool to see.”

“Initially I’m like trying to figure out who could it have been,” Wentz said. “In your mind you play detective. But then you’re like, ‘Does it really matter?’ If there were issues, I think if someone did say those things, they’re probably like, ‘Yeah maybe that’s not how it should have came out.’ You know what I mean? I think if that was said, they probably realize as a teammate and as a family, we usually handle things in-house, like I said. And so, I’m kind of like it doesn’t even matter. I’ll learn from it and we’ll all learn that A, things shouldn’t come out the way it did, and B, the pieces that I can learn from it and be a better teammate and player and all that stuff I will grow from. But other than that, just turn the page.”

One detail in the story was that Wentz had been verbally attacked by a highly respected teammate for not being a team guy last season.

“To go off of what I was saying earlier, I’m not really gonna get into specifics about some of those stories, but I didn’t know what that was,” Wentz said. “I will say I didn’t know what that was about.”

The story also reported that Wentz “bullied” offensive coordinator Mike Groh and refused to run the plays and concepts that worked for Foles.

“The fact of bullying Mike Groh … Groh and I talked to each other that day when it came out, and I think we all know that never took place,” Wentz said. “I even go back to the year before with Frank (Reich), I know Frank has gone and said that he and I used to have these competitive arguments, but they’re healthy. That stuff happens. That’s, I think, what good football teams have, the ability to respectfully do that and be stubborn and those things. It was the same way with Groh. In my opinion, he is a very good football mind and in my opinion I feel like I have something to contribute too, so I thought we had some really healthy dialogue. To say, quote ‘bullied him’ I’d say that’s kind of disrespectful to Groh. I don’t think anyone bullies coach Groh. And then B, I think we have a great relationship and it’s just going to keep getting better. That line, I was kind of blown away with what that would have meant.

“And then the idea of running Foles’ stuff, we both see the game differently to some extent. But to say I was resistant to running his stuff and then vice versa, there’s so many things to the X’s and O’s of the game, to just say a blanket statement like that just doesn’t necessarily do it justice. We both like different concepts but overall we’re running similar stuff. And we kind of base it off of, what’s the defense giving us … it’s such a blanket statement that there’s too many intricacies to that that don’t necessarily apply.”

“There’s plenty of times throughout the week where, like each coach is responsible for certain parts of the game plan, and then I’ll watch film and I’ll bring a play,” Wentz explained. “So it’s third down, I’ll bring it to the coach who works on the third down stuff. I’ll bring up a play and then I’ll try to get it installed, for example, and there’s different levels to getting it in the game plan. Obviously, Doug’s got to sign off on it at the end of the day. Maybe I’ll show some film. ‘This is why I think it will work.’ And then they’ll show, ‘But what if we get this? This is why it doesn’t work.’ Stuff like that. You can do that for every single play. You want to be on the same page with the coaches, and at the end of the day, on game day, you usually are, but throughout the week there’s those little things like, ‘I’m not feeling that play, coach. This is what they’re showing coverage-wise in this situation, I don’t see it.’ So sometimes we’ll take that play out or we’ll talk through it. And you could view those as arguments, but really I think it’s just for the betterment of the team.

“We know we’re actually getting somewhere and it’s productive and I think it’s really healthy, and I think the coaches would say the same thing.”

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
"So I'm not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up."