Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Black August posted:

The knife is insanely useful, always carry two and store backups, one knife is for zombie emergencies, the other is specifically for slashing lone leg-shot zombies for some path clears, while the grenades of both kinds are for only bosses or sometimes easy licker/mutant clears

There's one spot in the lab where three sleeping zombies are in one side of a hall, and two lickers who appear on the other (and wake up the zombies) and one good hand grenade will take out the zombies pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Went back a few pages but didnt see anything; how is the recent call of cthulhu? I had a bunch of xbox credit from christmas, so i snagged it. Just curious about others' impressions of it. I'm finishing ace combat so i havent started it yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there a link to this stuff?

A few before and after shots. You can actually read the sign behind the gun shop owner, dude is selling a Desert Eagle for $980 which is a steal.

The interpolation works best when it's an image that was originally modeled in a high resolution then downsized using bilinear filtering which goes hand in hand with 90s prerendered 3D. It kind of freaks out if the source is a png with transparent pixels and doesn't work well with crisp pixel art and dithering but this stuff is advancing pretty fast. I remember seeing some of these a few years ago when it looked like someone turned on a cheap emulator SuperEagle/whatever smoothing. Now I'm getting results like this:

Not to derail further, but if I was Capcom I'd be immediately interested in what NVIDIA et al are doing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Went back a few pages but didnt see anything; how is the recent call of cthulhu? I had a bunch of xbox credit from christmas, so i snagged it. Just curious about others' impressions of it. I'm finishing ace combat so i havent started it yet.

It feels like a Lovecraft greatest-hits album. It pretty much plays all the tropes as dead straight as it can, so unless it's one of your first experiences with the Mythos, it's going to feel a little tired and predictable. It's got a few effective sequences for all that, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

A few before and after shots. You can actually read the sign behind the gun shop owner, dude is selling a Desert Eagle for $980 which is a steal.

The interpolation works best when it's an image that was originally modeled in a high resolution then downsized using bilinear filtering which goes hand in hand with 90s prerendered 3D. It kind of freaks out if the source is a png with transparent pixels and doesn't work well with crisp pixel art and dithering but this stuff is advancing pretty fast. I remember seeing some of these a few years ago when it looked like someone turned on a cheap emulator SuperEagle/whatever smoothing. Now I'm getting results like this:

Not to derail further, but if I was Capcom I'd be immediately interested in what NVIDIA et al are doing.

This is literally insane, and incredible. It reminds me of shows and film where they "enhance" a photo to ridiculous resolution and you make fun of it, but now it's actually real.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

I sure don't but perhaps this will be helpful?

There's a 23 page PDF breakdown here

e: What this game doesn to Heroes of Might & Magic is actually black magic.

There's some Resident Evil 2 and REmake stuff people have made and it all looks fantastic.
Thank you very much. I've been a bit busy the last few days, but I'll look that PDF over as soon as I find the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm halfway through my first playthrough of RE2make and at this point, I'm with the people who say that Mr. X is just far too persistent. He homes in on you like a heat-seeking missile and he never ever seems to give it a rest.

There don't seem to be safe places like the basement in RE 7, either. Compared to Jack, he is really a bit obnoxious and far too hard to get rid of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Main save rooms are always safe and a few others like the bell tower puzzle room he'll never enter.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm halfway through my first playthrough of RE2make and at this point, I'm with the people who say that Mr. X is just far too persistent. He homes in on you like a heat-seeking missile and he never ever seems to give it a rest.

There don't seem to be safe places like the basement in RE 7, either. Compared to Jack, he is really a bit obnoxious and far too hard to get rid of.

He seems way worse on my run with Claire. Any time I get an item and head toward where I need to use it he pops up and forces me to take the long way round, I can't ditch him without wasting ammo, he hangs outside the save room forever, occasionally stands still next to doors I'm about to enter and punches me in the drat head as I enter. It's not really tense or scary anymore, just kinda annoying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What I meant is, he isn't really restrained to one or two stories of the building the same way Jack was, and only ever goes away for substantially shorter periods. I think this could've done with some fine tuning.

quote:

It's not really tense or scary anymore, just kinda annoying.
As much as I like the rest of the game, I'm afraid I have to agree. The degree of aggressiveness with which he pursues you was a mistake.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 3, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The interesting thing about RE2 is that the game forces you to relearn a lot of long established mechanisms. People are making deep dives into the systems and the results are pretty clear but also against everything classic survival horror RE and action RE4 taught you.

Zombies have no location damage, a headshot is the same as a body shot but you get a chance to critical one-shot kill which is very likely to be based on an adaptive difficulty and not something you can rely on. Leg shots are a one-hit stun and the most efficient attack.

Mr. X does have a line of sight and sound. If you put enough distance from him he'll go into a very slow patrol mode, but running in the same room he's in or firing your gun basically anywhere causes him to hone in on your location. He takes a long time to recover from a punch and the same amount of bullets to the head as a zombie to temporarily drop him which is more than enough time to put some distance between you.

I find the licker trolling hilarious where the music noticeably ramps up the closer you get to lickers and they appear hostile even though you'll never trigger them unless you run or touch them. I've seen a lot of videos of people trying to juke the lickers, freaking out, and start running which is great.

One thing I'm disappointed with is that doors can't be used to stun enemies. With enemies just hanging around outside doors to the point where Mr. X will punch you through the wall of a safe room, they should've let you kick a door in. It's not even a move you can really abuse, it's just something that would've been nice to break out of a tough spot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think what bothers me the most about Mr. X isn't even anything about the mechanics, it's that he is completely silent. There is a similar degree of persistent annoyance as there was with Jack and Marguerite, but they made up for it in personality - you always almost wanted to run into them, because they always had something interesting to say.

This feels like a step back in design, comparatively speaking

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Well it is kind of the original design that those are descended from.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's true, but we can still look at it critically, if only to learn from it. It's a valuable lesson for the next game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well if they remake RE3 you can look forward to STARS!!!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

What I meant is, he isn't really restrained to one or two stories of the building the same way Jack was, and only ever goes away for substantially shorter periods. I think this could've done with some fine tuning.

As much as I like the rest of the game, I'm afraid I have to agree. The degree of aggressiveness with which he pursues you was a mistake.

To be fair though, the house in RE7 is small as poo poo with only 10 or so rooms wasn't it? Jack's also out of the picture super early. You also have to realize that Mr. X isn't in the picture for that long either when it comes to patrolling the PD. From the part he shows up to solving the Clocktower and getting through the Parkling Lot (when he despawns) can be done in less than 30 minutes.

Also Nemesis talks so your complaint shouldn't be an issue there, I don't think Mr. X needs to say anything as his character is literally The Terminator from the first film; as long as Arnold's on the hunt he doesn't say poo poo and doesn't need to, the stomping of his boots is enough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still think Mister X is a cooler concept than Nemesis because Mister X has confidence in his bare hands that old tentacles and rocket launchers boy lacks.

That and X had an actual job outside of "Kill people", which is the job of literally every other bioweapon by both accident or design. If Nemesis is so much smarter why was he given a smaller objectives list? :colbert:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 3, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What other actual job? Mr. X only kills people and doesn't even kill a single person. lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was always under the impression umbrella was just dropping whatever they had on the city to get that precious Combat Data. They knew the writing was on the wall but someone was going to be able to make it out with some $$$$ so launch all the things

Slightly related: I know ORC was poorly received but I had a blast with it and would absolutely buy a budget sequel

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

s.i.r.e. posted:

What other actual job? Mr. X only kills people and doesn't even kill a single person. lol
Look, technically jumping into a conveniently open vat of molten metal in pursuit of the G Virus is still working towards a goal beyond "Kill anything that moves"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Len posted:

I was always under the impression umbrella was just dropping whatever they had on the city to get that precious Combat Data. They knew the writing was on the wall but someone was going to be able to make it out with some $$$$ so launch all the things

Slightly related: I know ORC was poorly received but I had a blast with it and would absolutely buy a budget sequel

People complain about the zombies being bullet sponges in Remake 2 but ORC had the original bullet sponge zombies. An elite team of 4 operatives had a hell of a time putting just normal zombie fodder down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

He kills the guy in the cell!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Section Z posted:

I still think Mister X is a cooler concept than Nemesis because Mister X has confidence in his bare hands that old tentacles and rocket launchers boy lacks.

Okay, but when Nemesis gets tired of firing rockets he books rear end across the room to smack the poo poo out of you with the loving launcher.

Like, what else needs to be said.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

In the original RE2, Mr. X didn't care about anything but getting the G-Virus sample in Sherry's pendant, to the point where Claire beats him in her B scenario by throwing a virus sample into an open smelting vat.

In Umbrella Chronicles, there's a file that kinda retcons things and says that Mr. X also had a secondary objective of killing witnesses.

In the new RE2, the only information ever provided as to why Mr. X is on your case at all is Ben's note in his cell, where he figures Umbrella wants to clean up anyone who might have survived.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0tHFMNYVg

does anybody really care about the deep lore of the resident evil games this much

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Section Z posted:

Look, technically jumping into a conveniently open vat of molten metal in pursuit of the G Virus is still working towards a goal beyond "Kill anything that moves"

That ain't the case anymore. :colbert:

al-azad posted:

He kills the guy in the cell!

Did forget about this though!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mr X in REmake 2 is cool as hell and I wanted even more of him, whoever they got to mocap that powerful rear end stride and whoever foley'd those thundering footsteps deserve a raise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's not even that dangerous or hard to avoid he just panics you and makes everything else moreso

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

al-azad posted:

Zombies have no location damage, a headshot is the same as a body shot but you get a chance to critical one-shot kill which is very likely to be based on an adaptive difficulty and not something you can rely on. Leg shots are a one-hit stun and the most efficient attack.

Wait, what?

al-azad posted:

I find the licker trolling hilarious where the music noticeably ramps up the closer you get to lickers and they appear hostile even though you'll never trigger them unless you run or touch them. I've seen a lot of videos of people trying to juke the lickers, freaking out, and start running which is great.

Wait, what?!

God, I've been getting owned hard by Lickers. I had no idea they were sound activated only. Given the lack of eyes it makes sense I guess. I wrapped up my Claire Scenario A without much trouble and felt like I had enough ammo to kill pretty much everything in my way. I felt like they did a really good job with boss and Mr. X placement as just when I was starting to feel overpowered I had to burn most of my ammo on the first boss and then run from an invincible threat.

Leon Scenario B is stressing me the gently caress out. I don't have enough ammo to kill everything and Mr. X appears a whole hell of a lot earlier so it's a real struggle just to stay alive. While the game actually isn't a whole lot different in scenario B the greatly reduced amount of ammo is really making me approach the game a whole lot differently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder if removing the spiders was a huge argument among the staff. I can totally imagine Capcom receiving a lot of angry letters over the years and there hasn't been a spider enemy since the Chronicles games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

I wonder if removing the spiders was a huge argument among the staff. I can totally imagine Capcom receiving a lot of angry letters over the years and there hasn't been a spider enemy since the Chronicles games?

There were spiders in 7. Tiny little jumping ones but still spiders.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Len posted:

There were spiders in 7. Tiny little jumping ones but still spiders.

You are forgetting about Marguerite Baker

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

This depends on what you mean by "trigger", because getting close to them will attract them to you. I've watched somebody else play, and a licker will wander and patrol around an area without purpose until you get within a certain distance of them. Then they will go into an "alert" state and make a noise, then start crawling slowly towards you. Even if you back away from them they'll start following you, but they won't get aggressive until you either run or shoot a weapon.

When I encountered the two lickers in the kennel, the one eating the dog stopped feeding on the dog to turn around and walk towards me. It wandered off eventually but when I started walking it made a noise then turned around to go towards where it heard me walking. So they can hear you walking, they just don't start attacking until they bump into you, you run or you fire a weapon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You are forgetting about Marguerite Baker

I thought of that as more a beehive

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

King Vidiot posted:

This depends on what you mean by "trigger", because getting close to them will attract them to you. I've watched somebody else play, and a licker will wander and patrol around an area without purpose until you get within a certain distance of them. Then they will go into an "alert" state and make a noise, then start crawling slowly towards you. Even if you back away from them they'll start following you, but they won't get aggressive until you either run or shoot a weapon.

When I encountered the two lickers in the kennel, the one eating the dog stopped feeding on the dog to turn around and walk towards me. It wandered off eventually but when I started walking it made a noise then turned around to go towards where it heard me walking. So they can hear you walking, they just don't start attacking until they bump into you, you run or you fire a weapon.

Well yes their hear SOMEthing they just don't know what it is, then they casually wonder about roughly towards it.

It was funny to see multiple people all :byodood: can't pass lickers they always get me! :byodood: because they'd wig out once the lickers would begin to animate or make noises and either sprint or shoot it.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also Nemesis talks so your complaint shouldn't be an issue there,
Well, it has been a bit more than 30 minutes by now for me, but that's me playing at my own, I don't hold it against the game.

But yeah, I'm already looking forward to seeing what they do for nemesis, if they ever do at all. I hope they allow themselves the creative freedom to give him real dialogue. I wouldn't have expected it to make that much of a difference.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Great Metal Jesus posted:

God, I've been getting owned hard by Lickers. I had no idea they were sound activated only.

They also worked this way in the original.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it has been a bit more than 30 minutes by now for me, but that's me playing at my own, I don't hold it against the game.

But yeah, I'm already looking forward to seeing what they do for nemesis, if they ever do at all. I hope they allow themselves the creative freedom to give him real dialogue. I wouldn't have expected it to make that much of a difference.

Nemesis would be properly terrifying since he has no issues running at your rear end and trying to blow you up with rockets. The one thing though is much of RE3 takes place in the same PD so I hope they change things up with Nemesis blowing walls up and destroying the layout of the PD to mix things up. I'd hate for RE3 to get hit with "more of the same" in reviews because of it, not sure if that was said about RE3 upon release.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As I remember it, it's really a comparatively small portion of the game and much of the station isn't even accessible to you... But yeah, that would really be a shame. Making it a nice chase setpiece with smashed walls and such would let them reuse parts while still making it feel fresh.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Somebody on Reddit made the point that there are a lot of windows in the west hall in the RE2 remake that aren't just broken, but look like something punched in from outside. It'd be kinda neat if those ended up being Nemesis's point of entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im waiting for a sexy Carlos, amigos